why don't the low carb folks believe in CICO?

Options

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    mac726 wrote: »
    I know it will require people to buy the book but what got me into LCHF was "the art and science of low carbohydrate performance" buy it on a kindle for 10$. Most of the book points to the fact we can run on very little carbs and perform just as well as if we were on them. A one/two week phase is needed to get started. Think like cutting coffee out. Your body hates you but after a while it was just a habit. I look at our body's as has tanks the amount of fat and carbs we can hold. From the book, please excuse the lack of exact data, we can store up to 2000 calories of carbs. Whereas fat can be stored in the 10000s. Why not learn to use that instead? Following a keto diet allows the fat to burn and consume the energy we are carrying around our waist/hips/arms etc.

Because fruit is good and healthy...because legumes are good and healthy...because whole grains are awesome and healthy...because sweet potatoes and potatoes kick *kitten*....and because you can simply burn that fat by eating a balanced and healthy diet and simply consuming less calories than your body requires.

This is what really irks me about keto folk...you all act like the only way you're going to use fat as fuel and burn that fat off your body is if you're keto...I don't know why you all act like this when you're so obviously wrong as evidenced by the *kitten* load of fit and trim and healthy people not doing keto....

See again, there are those assumptions that "all act like this".

The way people get to a calorie deficit for some people is to eat LCHF Who are you to determine how they get to a calorie deficit? Great that works for you, but it doesn't work for everybody.

I wasn't making any assumption...I was quoting someone making that claim...I've been in several discussions all week in regards to the same...and I've been here over 2.5 years and this is nothing new. You can believe that it's just a few, but it's not...it's the overwhelming majority...keto is some kind of religion I think, not a diet.

So, next time a fight breaks out, and people want to insist, " nobody EVER says that," here's your boilerplate. " It's everyone, it's a religion, they all say the same thing". If you ever want to know why people resent non-lc people hijacking a newbie's thread instead of letting people direct them to the lc group, this is why.

The pages last night were helpful. Today it's gone where it always go, people who ignore what's said, to instead argue with their preferred stereotype.

it was bound to go off rails...

However, I do understand where wolfman is coming from. If you read through the threads you will see people saying "carbs make me fat" or "carbs are bad' or "carbs spike insulin which causes fat to store" OR out in the real world I talk to people about health and fitness and the first thing they usually say is "oh, I really can't eat that many carbs because they are bad..."

In your rw encounters, I'm curious how many are newbies. There's something people get taught early on /r/keto: first rule of keto, don't talk about keto. Really, it applies to any WOE, but with keto, as we've seen, there's a lot of misinformation. A lot of first posts there are from people who started keto, got excited about how good they felt, told their co-workers or parents, and were immediately told they were going to have a heart attack if they don't stop. There's a high correlation between newbies and talking about it. I would group people who read one article in Woman's Day and tried it for 2 months with newbies, since those would be the ones who don't actually research what they are supposed to do. There's also a lot of people who know nothing about it who like to talk about it.

Part of why I got so frustrated my first month here is I was told on 3 separate occasions that I was going to have kidney damage and brain damage if I kept doing LC. They didn't even ask how long I was on it or why, just spouted off, fruit is good for you, you're going to die, etc. It never occurred to those people it was prescribed, or that I'd been on it over a decade longer than I've had an MFP acct, they just "knew" what was right and felt qualified to "educate" me about it.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    beccyleigh wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I suppose the only question you need to ask yourself is "Is what I am doing, working for me?" If the answer is yes give no *kitten* what other people do. It seems to get some of you all twisted in your knickers over other peoples decisions. Chill. Pill.

And if what you are doing isn't working, then find something else.

Hmm so educating people on what not needs to be done is a problem?

I guess this poster just believes that we should 100% validate everything on MFP no matter how crazy the topic

Nope, not at all but don't let your total lack of knowledge on what I think, feel or believe stop you from making claims of it. I think the discussion can be had but not with people so unable to concede to another's view as yourself. Just try to lower the righteous preaching & you might have a worthy topic.

complains aboutt preaching and then preaches...

interesting...

Are you able to respond with more than "blah blah.....interesting" are you able to articulate just what is interesting in it so the rest of us can decide if we agree?

Queue - blah blah interesting post in 5...4...3... :wink:

awwww you don't like me pointing that you are doing the exact same thing that you are complaining about, do you????
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I suppose the only question you need to ask yourself is "Is what I am doing, working for me?" If the answer is yes give no *kitten* what other people do. It seems to get some of you all twisted in your knickers over other peoples decisions. Chill. Pill.

you seem to have your knickers pretty twisted up right about now...

I'm not wearing any love.

so you are calling people out for what you are doing...interesting..

What, are you all not wearing knickers either? Commando all the way hey?

Did someone call for a commando?

giphy.gif
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    blukitten wrote: »
    Babbs1977 wrote: »
    I have PCOS and when I tried just CICO I continued gaining weight. Once I was put on metformin and restricted carbs I lost weight like crazy even though my calorie intake actually went up. I realize the typical person without a hormone issue going on probably wouldn't have the same issues that I did.

you are still doing CICO ..you are just using medication to regulate the out side for you ..

I have PCOS and have been on Metformin for years. CICO did not work for me, while on the medication, and I gained weight while eating within my calorie range and working out. Even when varying the amount of exercise calories back or not eating them at all. I measure my food and don't eat junk either.

When I eat low carb I lose weight. My medication hasn't changed and my exercise hasn't changed either, the only thing that has changed is the restricting of carbohydrates. I still eat within my calorie range, still vary eating back my exercise calories, yet now I'm losing weight. For some of us, low carb eating is medically necessary and CICO will never work.

^^^ I have experienced this exact same thing. I think many PCOS'ers have which is why I am guessing the OP opted to say he wasn't talking about those with medical issues.

My experience was the exact same- I was doing calorie restriction- 1600 a day, let MFP set my macros for me, even researched TDEE and IIFYM calculators to see what my macros should be and set them by those. Was working out twice a week with a very good personal trainer and three times a week on my own- did not lose weight.

I also did CICO based on TDEE with a 500 cal cut (as recommended)- without working out while on metformin- did not lose weight.

Now- I am still sticking to my 1600 cals, on metformin and cut carbs as recommended by my doc and nutritionist and I am losing steadily- without exercise. The only difference is that now I am limiting my carbs to 30g a day. I am adding exercise now (just this week) because I want to build muscle. For some of us low carbers as @Babbs1977‌ says- CICO alone will never work

OK but it is still CICO ..you are just using low carb + medicine to balance out the "CO" side...

Very true, and I agree. But just as you say low carbers don't believe in CICO, which is a generalization cause as you can see not all of us deny it, but for some of us CICO alone is also not going to work- because insulin and the way our bodies don't use it properly.
  • shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    amusd.gif

still :)
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options

I guess this poster just believes that we should 100% validate everything on MFP no matter how crazy the topic

Nope, not at all but don't let your total lack of knowledge on what I think, feel or believe stop you from making claims of it. I think the discussion can be had but not with people so unable to concede to another's view as yourself. Just try to lower the righteous preaching & you might have a worthy topic.

interesting...

Are you able to respond with more than "blah blah.....interesting" are you able to articulate just what is interesting in it so the rest of us can decide if we agree?

awwww you don't like me pointing that you are doing the exact same thing that you are complaining about, do you????

Not at all, if you were actually saying anything at all. Maybe all those carbs have fugged your brain. Try to lay off for a few days it might help. :)
  • gaddabout
    gaddabout Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My general perception is there are a lot of people out there who think they counted calories but either (a) don't have an accurate perception of serving size or (b) have blind spots and poor accounting of their daily calories.

I find even using My Fitness Pal, if I'm not diligent about measuring and entering food right away, it's really easy to enter 1/2 cup of grapes when he it was closer to 1, or forget about that 120-calorie slice of cheddar I had in my tuna wrap.

As to the discussion here, it's pretty dangerous to call out others for diet heresy. You don't know their health situation. You're not a doctor. I don't believe CICO is the only legitimate way of losing weight, but I do think it's the most practical and easy to understand. OTOH, I think if you're diabetic or have heart ailments, there are higher diet priorities than mere calories to consider, and chasing a diet that leans towards something unbalanced could do more harm to health than weight gain. What's a little ironic is my father has both diabetes and heart problems, and CICO is the ONLY way he can manage his weight; high-fat content can impair him and high-carb content sends his sugar through the roof. He's given virtually everything a legitimate shot only to end up at his doctor or in the hospital. I am suspicious of anyone who thinks there's One True Diet for everyone.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    kickinmom wrote: »
    There are studies that show it's not the quantity of calories but the quality. Dr. Hyman and Dr. Gray (Wheat Belly) are proof of this. Plus, here's a conundrum if you believe calories in calories out: when cows were fed a high-fat diet of coconut oil, they LOST weight. Ranchers thought that would be a cheap way to fatten them up, but it had the opposite effect.

Fat (which a lot of low carbers tout) helps you feel full, helps your bathroom habit, keeps hair and skin healthy, and helps brain function. Brain runs almost entirely off fat.

I've found that a lower-carb diet helps me lose weight. I eat healthy fats, but in reasonable quantities. But I listen to my body; if it is craving carbs I will fix a healthy low GI carb (sweet potato, beans, ...) at the next meal.

There are a lot of things we don't know about how our bodies use food. I don't discount anything that works for anyone.

so humans = cows now???

I posted a study earlier showing there is no difference.

and I have seen the studies that say there is...

so I will agree that for now the jury is out, and one method is not superior to the other.

I am going to with a calorie = a calorie ..

calorie deficit for weight loss
    macro/micro adherence for body composition
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    adowe wrote: »
    adowe wrote: »
    firm believer in CICO but some people are more insulin sensitive. firm believer weight loss is not a one fits all.

big believer in the below

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/hormonal-weight-loss/
    http://www.metaboliceffect.com/female-effect-hormones-determine-female-fat-patterns/
    CICO is a one size fits all.
    Medical conditions just skew one or the other.

CICO is one size fits all, but the macro ratios that work best for you will differ person to person. Like I said above, one thing that occasionally annoys me about some low carb people here (not the sensible ones, which are most of those in this thread) is the assertion that EVERYONE would do better on lower carbs or that everyone finds that carbs trigger their hunger in the same way, etc. But the same is, of course, true in reverse when people insist that low carb is unhealthy or can't work or would be too depressing. Depends on the person.

And this is where IIFYMM comes into play.

It holds true for keto, vegan, paleo, veg, LCHF, we all have Macros and Micros just how we fill them differs.

I always find it funny when people hate on IIFYM yet they actually follow it.

Yes, I agree with all that. I interpret IIFYM as just meaning that you watch your macros, basically. By definition low carb folks do, at least low carb folks who also try to hit a general ballpark or better for their fat percentage.

And from my view, most low carbers focus on their macro ratios. Just their macros look a little different than the SAD.

Anyone who cares about their diet is going to have a diet that looks a lot different than the SAD...you don't have to low carb. My diary is open...my nutritional profile is outstanding and a far cry from the SAD, and I don't low carb at all.

Simply having a balanced diet is going to be a far cry from the SAD. To me, the comment:
    And from my view, most low carbers focus on their macro ratios. Just their macros look a little different than the SAD.

Implies that carbs = SAD = junk. There are a whole lot of highly nutritious carbs out there that aren't "junk"...carbs go well beyond 40 ounce Big Gulps.

I never once said junk. Never once.

I didn't say that you said it...it would appear to be implied in the statement and it's an implication that is made often by low carbers...I know a few personally, and they all think carbs are satan...they all think carbs are killing people...they're nutty.

It's ok...I'll enjoy my legumes and my whole grain oats and my brown rice and my potatoes and sweet potatoes and my fruit and my copious amounts of daily vegetables and I'll be happy.

That wasn't what I was implying at all. I know there are nutritous carbs out there. Again another assumption that because there are a few low carbers that make certain claims that all of them do. Which leads you to assuming I was implying that people who don't eat low carb only eat junk?

I think this has more to do with sensitivity to the term "SAD" and what is usually meant by it. You can see this somewhat in the post from the paleo person I replied to, talking about the SAD and "processed carbs."

And to me, from the people I see in LCHF, they don't give a crap if the carbs are from an organic, non GMO apple or from a Snickers bar. And that's not to say that carbs are "evil", but that at the end of the day it doesn't matter if it comes from fruit or from a candy bar, sugar is sugar. I'm sure there are your paleo, LCHF people, but that isn't necessarily general LCHF.

To clarify my comment, it meant that the RATIO of carbs and fat are going to be different from the SAD. Meaning more carbs, less fat.

Your experience here is consistent with mine, actually. I think the "SAD" sensitivity comes from "clean eating" discussions (which I've read far too many of, although I didn't take offense to your post, for the record), not low carb ones.

I do think the more typical IIFYM ratios aren't the SAD ones, and that people often don't have a clue what the SAD ratios actually are, since the problem with the SAD isn't the macro ratios. (15% protein, 35% fat, 50% carbs, according to wiki, and IIFYM having stemmed from body building, the more typical protein goal will be higher, I'd assume, whereas the usual endurance athlete-type advice (or mainstream nutrition type advice) I've read tends to want to sacrifice fats to carbs and thinks the protein is okay.)

Anyway, if it's not coming across I'm sympathetic to your position, which is why I'm trying to steer newbies to the LCHF threads. But there are people who say things on the main forums that need responses (even though I don't take them as representative of low carb folks in general). I always like it when the sensible low carb people respond too, as I've seen you do. And I get that there's overgeneralization going on, definitely. I actually saw this thread last night and assumed that the response would be what it's been so far--lots of low carbers saying of course we believe in CICO.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »

you seem to have your knickers pretty twisted up right about now...

I'm not wearing any love.

so you are calling people out for what you are doing...interesting..

What, are you all not wearing knickers either? Commando all the way hey?

Did someone call for a commando?

giphy.gif

Win.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

interesting...

Interesting. I'm still trying to have my question answer. I guess it got skipped. Oh well I knew my answer but it funny to hear when you're right.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    The high-fat, low-carb and low-refined sugar way of eating has left the station. Time to get on board!

There's a reason why you can find a couple of dozen LCHF diet books on Amazon, and no HCLF diet books. LCHF works. Why? Because with for me and millions, you just eat fewer calories with LCHF. It's that simple.

And before you get into a tizzy, I'm not saying no carbs and no sugar. I'm saying low carbs and low sugar. There is always a time to eat that piece of cheesecake. :)

You can find any kind of diet book on amazon. No one here is recommending a HCLF diet (I'd hate it), but there are people on MFP all about the raw 80-10-10 stuff, and plenty of diet books for plenty of different kinds of diets that are HCLF.

I don't at all disagree that LCHF works, but this is the kind of post that we've been responding to that Mel seems to want to dismiss (I would to if I were her, since she seems extremely sensible and to have a good understanding of how different diets work for different people). The point I and others are making is that LCHF is not the best diet ever and doesn't work for EVERYONE. It would not work for me, whereas balanced macros do (balance depending on what my TDEE is and how much activity I'm doing). You may eat fewer calories doing LCHF (if only because you are using that to cut out trigger foods that for you happen to be processed carbs), but that's not so for everyone, and if you are doing it to cut out foods that tempt you (as opposed to dealing with satiety issues) I'm frankly skeptical about whether there's any benefit long term.

Long term, not having big bags of chips and cookies and pretzels, and half-gallon containers of ice cream in my house, have worked out very well for me long-term. Yes, I admit it - I lack willpower. And so do most people.

I've also dumped cereal because the amount I need to eat for breakfast is 2.5 times the serving suggested on the box. My breakfast "diet food" is one egg, a strip of bacon, and some grilled onions.

I could care less about balanced macros. My grandparents lived past 90 at the right weight without knowing their balanced macros. But they ate good food, and had no junk in the house.

PS - I get most of my carbs from fruit and vegetables.

What are your ratios if you eat fruit then? Fruit has sugar?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    My twopenneth:

Stuff like this does make me wonder http://live.smashthefat.com/why-i-didnt-get-fat/

Now I know the water weight thing but I doubt that can account for more than a certain % of body weight so over a week maybe but not convinced it's a factor beyond that.

Plus I know people who have tried LCHF and talked about how much cheese etc you can eat. This is not calorie cheap. Let's say I have a 3 egg cheese omelette with ham for breakfast, a 500g salmon fillet for lunch with green veg, and perhaps 300g chicken with mushroom and cream sauce for dinner? That isn't going to be cheap on the calorie front!

All that said, I prefer the balanced diet approach albeit I have found keeping carb calories slightly lower than fat and reducing sugar to whole fruit, veg and dairy sources has helped me lose better in recent months, as anecdotal as that is.

Anyone can claim anything. If "i say so", and "it works for me" n=1 passes as validated, measurable and evidence based-science, then we are truly going back to the dark ages
  • owngoal64
    owngoal64 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Jumping in to the tussle, as some are saying much of the same thing but still disagreeing. Here is my experience with Low Carb (and a few opinions):

1. Did South Beach diet for 3 months a few years ago (not as restrictive as Atkins but still quite a change). Lost 25 pounds
    2. Weight loss was due to decreased calorie intake, made possible by decreased appetite and the fact that I don't binge on low carb food
    3. Had plenty of energy to get through a normal workday, etc., however did not have energy to get through a hard workout, so didn't exercise nearly as much during that time period
    4. Blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, all improved significantly after the 3 months
    5. After the first week, staying away from carbs was easy for awhile. It got tough again after a couple of months though.
    6. After I met my goal weight and re-introduced carbs, I gained back 15 of the 25 pounds slowly over the next 6 months despite working out more, etc.

Summary/Opinions:
    - LC is a great way to cut calories and lose weight fast if you have the moxy to do it without cheating
    - For me (not everyone by any means), LC in the long run wasn't sustainable. However for some others it might be the way to go - probably depends on your physical and mental makeup
    - Using MFP I have been able to lose weight by counting calories and exercising. I still try to limit "bad" carbs (some days are better than others in this battle). Weight loss is much slower (averaging less than a pound per week) but it is more sustainable
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    mac726 wrote: »
    I know it will require people to buy the book but what got me into LCHF was "the art and science of low carbohydrate performance" buy it on a kindle for 10$. Most of the book points to the fact we can run on very little carbs and perform just as well as if we were on them. A one/two week phase is needed to get started. Think like cutting coffee out. Your body hates you but after a while it was just a habit. I look at our body's as has tanks the amount of fat and carbs we can hold. From the book, please excuse the lack of exact data, we can store up to 2000 calories of carbs. Whereas fat can be stored in the 10000s. Why not learn to use that instead? Following a keto diet allows the fat to burn and consume the energy we are carrying around our waist/hips/arms etc.

Because fruit is good and healthy...because legumes are good and healthy...because whole grains are awesome and healthy...because sweet potatoes and potatoes kick *kitten*....and because you can simply burn that fat by eating a balanced and healthy diet and simply consuming less calories than your body requires.

This is what really irks me about keto folk...you all act like the only way you're going to use fat as fuel and burn that fat off your body is if you're keto...I don't know why you all act like this when you're so obviously wrong as evidenced by the *kitten* load of fit and trim and healthy people not doing keto....

See again, there are those assumptions that "all act like this".

The way people get to a calorie deficit for some people is to eat LCHF Who are you to determine how they get to a calorie deficit? Great that works for you, but it doesn't work for everybody.

I wasn't making any assumption...I was quoting someone making that claim...I've been in several discussions all week in regards to the same...and I've been here over 2.5 years and this is nothing new. You can believe that it's just a few, but it's not...it's the overwhelming majority...keto is some kind of religion I think, not a diet.

So, next time a fight breaks out, and people want to insist, " nobody EVER says that," here's your boilerplate. " It's everyone, it's a religion, they all say the same thing". If you ever want to know why people resent non-lc people hijacking a newbie's thread instead of letting people direct them to the lc group, this is why.

The pages last night were helpful. Today it's gone where it always go, people who ignore what's said, to instead argue with their preferred stereotype.

it was bound to go off rails...

However, I do understand where wolfman is coming from. If you read through the threads you will see people saying "carbs make me fat" or "carbs are bad' or "carbs spike insulin which causes fat to store" OR out in the real world I talk to people about health and fitness and the first thing they usually say is "oh, I really can't eat that many carbs because they are bad..."

In your rw encounters, I'm curious how many are newbies. There's something people get taught early on /r/keto: first rule of keto, don't talk about keto. Really, it applies to any WOE, but with keto, as we've seen, there's a lot of misinformation. A lot of first posts there are from people who started keto, got excited about how good they felt, told their co-workers or parents, and were immediately told they were going to have a heart attack if they don't stop. There's a high correlation between newbies and talking about it. I would group people who read one article in Woman's Day and tried it for 2 months with newbies, since those would be the ones who don't actually research what they are supposed to do. There's also a lot of people who know nothing about it who like to talk about it.

Part of why I got so frustrated my first month here is I was told on 3 separate occasions that I was going to have kidney damage and brain damage if I kept doing LC. They didn't even ask how long I was on it or why, just spouted off, fruit is good for you, you're going to die, etc. It never occurred to those people it was prescribed, or that I'd been on it over a decade longer than I've had an MFP acct, they just "knew" what was right and felt qualified to "educate" me about it.

but you gotsta worry bout that ketoacidosis, dontcha know!!!!! ;)

haha. why the ignorant find the need to give advice, i will never know.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    kickinmom wrote: »
    There are studies that show it's not the quantity of calories but the quality. Dr. Hyman and Dr. Gray (Wheat Belly) are proof of this. Plus, here's a conundrum if you believe calories in calories out: when cows were fed a high-fat diet of coconut oil, they LOST weight. Ranchers thought that would be a cheap way to fatten them up, but it had the opposite effect.

Fat (which a lot of low carbers tout) helps you feel full, helps your bathroom habit, keeps hair and skin healthy, and helps brain function. Brain runs almost entirely off fat.

I've found that a lower-carb diet helps me lose weight. I eat healthy fats, but in reasonable quantities. But I listen to my body; if it is craving carbs I will fix a healthy low GI carb (sweet potato, beans, ...) at the next meal.

There are a lot of things we don't know about how our bodies use food. I don't discount anything that works for anyone.

What? No, glucose!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    gaddabout wrote: »
    My general perception is there are a lot of people out there who think they counted calories but either (a) don't have an accurate perception of serving size or (b) have blind spots and poor accounting of their daily calories.

I find even using My Fitness Pal, if I'm not diligent about measuring and entering food right away, it's really easy to enter 1/2 cup of grapes when he it was closer to 1, or forget about that 120-calorie slice of cheddar I had in my tuna wrap.

As to the discussion here, it's pretty dangerous to call out others for diet heresy. You don't know their health situation. You're not a doctor. I don't believe CICO is the only legitimate way of losing weight, but I do think it's the most practical and easy to understand. OTOH, I think if you're diabetic or have heart ailments, there are higher diet priorities than mere calories to consider, and chasing a diet that leans towards something unbalanced could do more harm to health than weight gain. What's a little ironic is my father has both diabetes and heart problems, and CICO is the ONLY way he can manage his weight; high-fat content can impair him and high-carb content sends his sugar through the roof. He's given virtually everything a legitimate shot only to end up at his doctor or in the hospital. I am suspicious of anyone who thinks there's One True Diet for everyone.

But the point is those methods, those "diets" boil down to one thing: CICO.
  • ndj1979
    Options

please tell me what other way there is to lose weight besides CICO???
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    The high-fat, low-carb and low-refined sugar way of eating has left the station. Time to get on board!

There's a reason why you can find a couple of dozen LCHF diet books on Amazon, and no HCLF diet books. LCHF works. Why? Because with for me and millions, you just eat fewer calories with LCHF. It's that simple.

And before you get into a tizzy, I'm not saying no carbs and no sugar. I'm saying low carbs and low sugar. There is always a time to eat that piece of cheesecake. :)

You can find any kind of diet book on amazon. No one here is recommending a HCLF diet (I'd hate it), but there are people on MFP all about the raw 80-10-10 stuff, and plenty of diet books for plenty of different kinds of diets that are HCLF.

I don't at all disagree that LCHF works, but this is the kind of post that we've been responding to that Mel seems to want to dismiss (I would to if I were her, since she seems extremely sensible and to have a good understanding of how different diets work for different people). The point I and others are making is that LCHF is not the best diet ever and doesn't work for EVERYONE. It would not work for me, whereas balanced macros do (balance depending on what my TDEE is and how much activity I'm doing). You may eat fewer calories doing LCHF (if only because you are using that to cut out trigger foods that for you happen to be processed carbs), but that's not so for everyone, and if you are doing it to cut out foods that tempt you (as opposed to dealing with satiety issues) I'm frankly skeptical about whether there's any benefit long term.

Long term, not having big bags of chips and cookies and pretzels, and half-gallon containers of ice cream in my house, have worked out very well for me long-term. Yes, I admit it - I lack willpower. And so do most people.

I've also dumped cereal because the amount I need to eat for breakfast is 2.5 times the serving suggested on the box. My breakfast "diet food" is one egg, a strip of bacon, and some grilled onions.

I could care less about balanced macros. My grandparents lived past 90 at the right weight without knowing their balanced macros. But they ate good food, and had no junk in the house.

PS - I get most of my carbs from fruit and vegetables.

What are your ratios if you eat fruit then? Fruit has sugar?

I have fruit every week. This chart is for 100g servings, and I don't think I've ever used more than 50g of something, especially if I'm adding whipped cream to balance the carbs:
    http://i.imgur.com/95xl2Te.jpg

I'm not eating bananas or grapes every day, but for me, anything from the top down to about plums is easy to fit in at 22g net.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

please tell me what other way there is to lose weight besides CICO???

tagged @gaddabout‌ because I want to hear this answer too.