what is a food you have cut from your diet with some success?

Options

Replies

• MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I only cut stuff to make meeting my goals easier, not because I think they are bad.

Most of my issues with weight stemmed from drinking my calories so I cut out coffee creamer and OJ.

I also drastically reduced my soda consumption (from 6 a day to a few sips a day).

It's not a matter of cutting stuff out for me, it's a matter whatever the food is worth it or not. Like, I used to eat the crap out of Totinos pizza (yes, the $1 frozen ones) and now I'd rather spend those calories on something that tastes good. I have a million examples of those - but that's just preference I think.

Me too! I still indulge in a few treats -- had a 100 calorie pack of cheese nips with my lunch today, (after exercise @ the fitness center), but I don't have the huge amounts anymore. I did cut out my fast food binging, & eating whole bags of chips or boxes of cookies-- because that wasn't about feeding my body, that was emotional comfort food. If I have to eat @ a fast food place, I pick something within my allotted calories, whick usually means grilled chicken sandwich/ no mayo (don't care for it that much anyway) or a salad without the high fat dressing. I save indulging in higher calorie foods for special occasions.
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Nuts (almonds, cashews, peanuts, pine, walnuts, etc) have good fat and fiber. It is bad for me since I can't control my portion. Even when I plan on eating a quarter cup I end up binging on the entire bag! I replaced the good fat from nuts with avocado, EVOO, salmon and tuna belly.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    nabernal wrote: »
    What have I let go of? Late night snacking and eating past 6pm. Also fast food, chocolate (which is my weakness), sugars and anything fried. Bread, rice, pizza, and pasta are things I refuse to eat right now. So far its been 2 weeks of clean eating, and I'm already down 11 pounds. I am thinking I was having at least 3,000 calories a day before this.
    I do have a cheat meal (controlling my portion) once a week.

what a sad, sad, world that must be...

I know right! I mean one of my fav treats is deep-fried breaded chocolate!

Hey Nabernal; do what you feel fits you and your goals best but the eating after 6pm is really not an issue. Your calorie intake is your intake for the whole day regardless of when you eat it. I would just recommend not eating heavy 2-3 hours before you go to sleep as it could cause heartburn and I know it’s true because I saw it on the internet. ;-)

I coach youth sports year round and I often don’t get home until 8ish, I still eat and I am doing pretty good. So long as you are staying within you caloric goals you’ll be golden.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Potatoes. I have PCOS and really struggle when I eat a lot of carbs. I used to eat mash potatoes with corn mixed in as a meal. I still have an occasional french fry or a bit or two of mash potatoes but they're mostly eliminated from my diet now.
  • KristinaG_is_losing_it
    Options
    Soda, alcohol, white potatoes, rice. I drink only water now and one or two cups of coffee/tea a day max. I used to slug back massive amounts of coffee/soda/redbull as a means of medicating myself from my migraines. Now I'm on meds so I'm not od'ing on all that crap. As for the potatoes and rice, I like sweet potatoes and quinoa more taste wise. My big hurdle is that I like to eat healthy stuff but the crappy stuff still tastes good so if I am feeling weak driving by a mcdonalds a small fry sounds SO appealing. It's a work in progress!
  • PattiMackinnon
    PattiMackinnon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I gave up cream and sugar in my coffee and just take it with milk now, I traded my white bread for whole grain bread. I use coconut oil for cooking instead of other unhealthier oils, I don't eat processed lunch meat, instead I will cook an extra piece of chicken or beef and cut it thin. I gave up margarine because there is nothing natural about it; I will occasionally use butter but not often. I cut back on mayo, I will use mashed avacado in its place more often than not, I rarely eat salad dressing. And I cut out candy; I haven't had candy in quite a while but still have chocolate once in a while in moderation.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    You know those really bland and flavorless frosted sugar cookies from grocery story bakeries? Haven't had one since I started counting calories. Because good cookies or GTFO.

Seriously. I feel like I've become such a food snob! Give me the good stuff!

I think the biggest realization for me when I started logging was how many calories I used to spend eating things that I don't even like.

Absolutely! Simply reducing/eliminating foods I don't care about saved so many calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There's no reason to cut out any food unless:
    • you have a medical reason
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

Otherwise eat all the foods.

I think
    • you want to
    should also make that list.

But a person shouldn't have to deprive themselves of food they enjoy when dieting. Dieting is hard enough.

Most of the time, when a person cuts out certain foods, they end up binging on the food when they get their hands on it… like at a birthday party, wedding, etc.

It's better and more practical to learn to eat in moderation and use portion control.
    I find eating very small amounts of certain food MUCH harder than just eating none at all. Not eating certain foods may make dieting harder for you, but it makes it much easier for me.

And I do not binge on any of the foods I have eliminated. I DID binge on them when I tried to eat them in moderation. We're all different...see how that works?

I wasn't talking about myself. I was talking about the general population ;)
    You speak for the general population? Funny, I don't remember voting for you to represent me. Hmmm....

Perhaps if you spent some time reading through the forums, you would see that a majority of people who cut out certain foods, end up binging. They say it for themselves :)

Actually when I read through the forums I see MANY people say that they personally end up binging when they try to eat certain foods in moderation. There have been many on just this thread alone that said exactly that!!!! I dispute your claim that the majority binge when they cut out foods. Some certainly do, and the fact that you feel so strongly about this suggests that you do as well. But many of us don't. If you don't have it available, you can't binge on it. That's the reality.

I don't binge (not if I cut out foods and not if I eat them in moderation). I have been known to plan to eat something in moderation and overeat, and I have been known to obsess more about a food because I decided I wouldn't eat it than if I simply placed it on the back burner (i.e., I'll eat it on special occasions when I have the calories). On the whole the latter strategy works better for me, and following it there are lots of foods that I haven't cut out but almost never eat. I'm not sure why officially cutting stuff out permanently would work better, but as you said people are different, so I'm not denying that it might, for some. (I would deny that it's healthier or better in general, of course.)

In any case, what I question is that cutting something out makes it not available. Stopping overeating at home was something that was easy for me, since at home was a place where I wasted too many calories on meals, but I never have really kept snacky stuff at home (I do more now than when I was gaining weight, in fact, since I have ice cream on hand now, and protein bars, and yogurt and dried fruit and nuts). Where I snacked before starting this was at work, at parties/get togethers, or, on occasion, after an impulse buy at the store. I still have those precise temptations, so if I simply relied on lack of access I'd be in big trouble. If I were a binger, binging would be easy enough.
    With me it was overeating at home that was the problem. I never eat when busy...so work is not a problem. But in the evening, it's too easy to give in. So cutting out sweets makes them not available to me. I only ever had a problem with eating them at home, so not having them here solves my problem. It's easy, I'm not tempted and I don't miss it.

But like I said, we're all different personalities. People who are or were overweight ate too much for various reasons. So keeping that weight off is most easily accomplished in different ways for different people. The strategies you implement should accommodate your individual personality.

Yep. I eat when stressed or trying to procrastinate.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    You know those really bland and flavorless frosted sugar cookies from grocery story bakeries? Haven't had one since I started counting calories. Because good cookies or GTFO.

Seriously. I feel like I've become such a food snob! Give me the good stuff!

I think the biggest realization for me when I started logging was how many calories I used to spend eating things that I don't even like.

Absolutely! Simply reducing/eliminating foods I don't care about saved so many calories.

Yes! I would just eat things because they were there, not because I thought it was particularly good. I am so much more choosy now about what I eat both in terms of taste and calories and definitely am not afraid anymore to throw things out or leave them on the plate if they suck. Before I'd just eat it anyway...
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    What have I let go of? Late night snacking and eating past 6pm. Also fast food, chocolate (which is my weakness), sugars and anything fried. Bread, rice, pizza, and pasta are things I refuse to eat right now. So far its been 2 weeks of clean eating, and I'm already down 11 pounds. I am thinking I was having at least 3,000 calories a day before this.

Why is that a sad world? Apparently she's pleased with the choice of eating more nutrient dense foods instead of foods that don't provide nutrients, which is actually a good thing to some people. So she's happy with her choices and the progress she's made - good.

Why do you jump around these forums just smartazzing all over the place? I mean, really? Oh wait, it's a public forum so everyone has the right to. This is the thing - you probably really do have some really good information to share, but douchebaggery turns people's ears away and tunes you out.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Kale. It's disgusting.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    emilyr0011 wrote: »

Why is that a sad world? Apparently she's pleased with the choice of eating more nutrient dense foods instead of foods that don't provide nutrients, which is actually a good thing to some people. So she's happy with her choices and the progress she's made - good.

Why do you jump around these forums just smartazzing all over the place? I mean, really? Oh wait, it's a public forum so everyone has the right to. This is the thing - you probably really do have some really good information to share, but douchebaggery turns people's ears away and tunes you out.

because you can eat all those foods, lose weight, and hit your goals. So someone is never going to eat pizza, pasta, bread, rice, or chocolate ever again, really?
  • magerum
    Options

Typically people that restrict certain foods, that they actually like, fail due to it not being sustainable over long periods of time. Especially if it's a long list.
  • Erfw7471
    Options

because you can eat all those foods, lose weight, and hit your goals. So someone is never going to eat pizza, pasta, bread, rice, or chocolate ever again, really?

Sometimes eating isn't just about losing weight and hitting goals. It can also about putting nutrients in your body. And that also doesn't mean never eating those other foods again. She even said "right now". It's her choice that she is pleased with.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    magerum wrote: »

Typically people that restrict certain foods, that they actually like, fail due to it not being sustainable over long periods of time. Especially if it's a long list.

To lose weight everyone needs to cut something. Whether you cut out a little of everything or all of a few things, you still are likely to regain the weight.
  • Erfw7471
    Options

I completely understand that, I lost 130 pounds and am maintaining - believe me, I understand. People have to figure what works for them, and obviously she is proud of her progress. My point was why dump on it?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Sometimes eating isn't just about losing weight and hitting goals. It can also about putting nutrients in your body. And that also doesn't mean never eating those other foods again. She even said "right now". It's her choice that she is pleased with.

yes, and you can hit micro/macros/calorie goals and eat all those things.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

you can hit micro/macros/calorie goals and not eat all those things
    you can eat all those things and not hit micro/macros/calorie goals

It's not about what you can do. It's about what she wants to do.
  • magerum
    Options

To lose weight everyone needs to cut something. Whether you cut out a little of everything or all of a few things, you still are likely to regain the weight.

That something being caloric intake regardless of source. I would wager one would be less likely to regain the weight if they grasped the concepts of caloric values and expenditures instead of just eliminating foods they like and enjoy.
  • Erfw7471
    Options

You've missed the point of my post, I can't explain it any simpler.