1234568»

Replies

• wellz6
    wellz6 Posts: 81
    Options
    jhall260 wrote: »
    wellz6 wrote: »
    k8blujay2 wrote: »

Why? Distilled water is not good for you to drink... as it pulls out needed minerals like magnesium, calcium, and iron from your drinking water... which may be exactly what the "crusty stuff" is on the bottom of your distiller... either that or crap from your pipes, which has nothing to do with the water purification that your tap water source as in place in any regard... you don't just get your water straight from the water treatment plant... it most likely has to go through thousands of feet (if not a few miles) of distribution pipes before it gets to your tap....

There is no definitive proof that distilled water is bad for you. So we should drink all of the contaminants in the water just to get a trace amount of minerals?

You can get all of the minerals you need from food. There was a study done that showed how much tap water you'd have to drink each day to get your recommended daily allowance of minerals because the amounts of minerals in water were so small.

You'd have to drink the following:
    676 eight ounce glasses of tap water to reach the daily RDA for calcium, 1,848 glasses for magnesium, and 848 glasses for iron.

Water potential... Yes there is proof.

Advanced degree in water chemistry. Wow, I mean just wow.

What are you wow'ing about? Show me your indisputable proof that distilled water is harmful.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    anayapaya wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    Holy s---. I can't believe this is a "thing" and that people actually would believe this bulls---. Oh wait... this is the internet... never mind...

Well can you explain why its bull? I was only asking a question.

In this kind of conversation it's not for anyone to have to explain a cry of bull, it's for the "new information" to prove why it's true.

You can't prove that the pebble in my back garden isn't what keeps the tigers away at night. But wouldn't you expect me to back up such a claim before accepting it as true?
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options

Why? Distilled water is not good for you to drink... as it pulls out needed minerals like magnesium, calcium, and iron from your drinking water... which may be exactly what the "crusty stuff" is on the bottom of your distiller... either that or crap from your pipes, which has nothing to do with the water purification that your tap water source as in place in any regard... you don't just get your water straight from the water treatment plant... it most likely has to go through thousands of feet (if not a few miles) of distribution pipes before it gets to your tap....

There is no definitive proof that distilled water is bad for you. So we should drink all of the contaminants in the water just to get a trace amount of minerals?

You can get all of the minerals you need from food. There was a study done that showed how much tap water you'd have to drink each day to get your recommended daily allowance of minerals because the amounts of minerals in water were so small.

676 eight ounce glasses of tap water to reach the daily RDA for calcium, 1,848 glasses for magnesium, and 848 glasses for iron.

What are you wow'ing about? Show me your indisputable proof that distilled water is harmful.

Put a bunch of fish in a fish tank full of RO water and see how well they fair.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    ^ not saying that distilled water is "bad" for you - heck, I had no choice but to drink it for many years due to where I lived.

However! I'm still waiting for the answer to how this viscous charged magical water is good for you as compared to normal "aggressive" water
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

totally agree...it would only be harmful in prolonged intake of JUST distilled water in the absence of minerals consumed in the diet.

Just drinking it as your water in a normal day is virtually irrelevant as the food you eat has a much higher concentration of minerals and electrolytes than your water source.

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

totally agree...it would only be harmful in prolonged intake of JUST distilled water in the absence of minerals consumed in the diet.

Just drinking it as your water in a normal day is virtually irrelevant as the food you eat has a much higher concentration of minerals and electrolytes than your water source.

I'll give that point... the biggest thing I disagree about is that tap water is contaminated and bad for you to drink, when that is largely not the case... Because it's not... tap water in almost all instances are just fine no matter how much "crap" (which is again, most likely just a case of minerals that made it's way to your tap).
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

I'll give that point... the biggest thing I disagree about is that tap water is contaminated and bad for you to drink, when that is largely not the case... Because it's not... tap water in almost all instances are just fine no matter how much "crap" (which is again, most likely just a case of minerals that made it's way to your tap).

preaching to the choir. Our municipalities do an overall excellent job supplying people with high quality water.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

preaching to the choir. Our municipalities do an overall excellent job supplying people with high quality water.

be-sure-to-get-plenty-of-high-quality-h2o.jpg
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Agreed. Unless you live in certain cities (Houston, I'm looking at you) where there's occasionally an issue with giardia. But that should be a matter of public record.

ETA: I should say there WAS occasionally an issue with giardia. They may have fixed the problem by now.
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options

I just did. While I will agree with what has been state that you have to consume large quantities of water for it to be harmful, it can be and has been.

I will say it again. It's called water potential. If you drink water devoid of any ions the ions that are in your body will try to reach equilibrium with the incoming water. Drawing nutrients out of cells into the water. It's basic chemistry.

Again you would have to drink lots and lots of water to have it happen but eventually, it will.