Can I petition MFP users to use the terms "more ideal" and "less ideal" instead of good/bad foods?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    hopefully, we can all agree that anything substituted with cauliflower is "bad"...

I have cauliflower broccoli from time to time though...

I don't think that is a substitute..

if it is, then we may have to reevaluate our friendship ...

LOL
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I like some of the cauliflower substitute dishes, but see them as a preparation of cauliflower, not as a stand in for something else. Mashed cauliflower is yummy, but it's still mashed cauliflower. The same for the stir fried cauliflower "rice". It's very good, but I'll make it without a lot of the extras in it as a side dish, usually with just the addition of ginger, garlic, and scallions. I'm not having either stand in for mashed potatoes or fried rice. They're both a vegetable dish.

Then again, I really like cauliflower, and like variety in how I eat it.

I think I'll go way back in the thread to the Sesame Street naming conventions. Sometimes foods and always foods. Then again. You can always have SOME of something. So that gets you nowhere.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    Can we just call it food and leave the value statements out of it?

nope, food is inherently good or evil ...its kind of like GI Joe VS Cobra

Cobra wasn't evil, just wanted order in a chaotic world, and we all know the only tool to create order from chaos.

The hammer.

OK...

I will go biblical then ..

God VS Satan ...

better ?

:)
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking "godly/death in a pretty package"
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Cobra wasn't evil, just wanted order in a chaotic world, and we all know the only tool to create order from chaos.

The hammer.

OK...

God VS Satan ...

better ?

nope, nope, nope...I don't want to be smited for eating dirty food.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

The hammer.

OK...

God VS Satan ...

better ?

Not if you are going biblical. You'd have to go angels and demons, because there is more than one of those.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I've changed my behavior in the past based on risks I'm sufficiently convinced about--it's why I don't eat trans fats or much fried food (not saying anyone should come to the same conclusions I have, and the fried thing has as much to do with calories).

Are you saying foods high in trans fats are bad?

Answered fully in the other thread (following me taking a moment to sort out my thoughts). If you didn't read it and want me to answer here (assuming I'm not the only one unable to find that thread), let me know.

On the other hand, if you replied to my response, I'm interested.

that thread got nuked....

so I guess we are all moving over here..

Good to know!
  • lemurcat12
    Options

The hammer.

OK...

God VS Satan ...

better ?

It's already Biblical:

1 And the LORD spake unto Moses and to Aaron, saying unto them...

4 Nevertheless these shall ye not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the hoof: as the camel, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

5 And the coney, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

6 And the hare, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

7 And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you....

35 And the Oreo; he is unclean to you.

36 They shall be even an abomination unto you.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I've changed my behavior in the past based on risks I'm sufficiently convinced about--it's why I don't eat trans fats or much fried food (not saying anyone should come to the same conclusions I have, and the fried thing has as much to do with calories).

Answered fully in the other thread (following me taking a moment to sort out my thoughts). If you didn't read it and want me to answer here (assuming I'm not the only one unable to find that thread), let me know.

Welp, guess it's time to turn off notifications...
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

The hammer.

OK...

God VS Satan ...

better ?

It's already Biblical:

4 Nevertheless these shall ye not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the hoof: as the camel, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

5 And the coney, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

6 And the hare, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

7 And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you....

I'm pretty sure they found a whole passage on sugar and refined starches in the Dead Sea Scrolls.

• lemurcat12
    edited March 2015
    Options

The hammer.

OK...

God VS Satan ...

better ?

It's already Biblical:

I'm pretty sure they found a whole passage on sugar and refined starches in the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Gnostic Gospels too. When they ran out of wedding cake at the wedding in Cana in the lost Gospel of Thaddeus the Clean Disciple, Jesus said "Oh Woman, what has this to do with a clean diet," and then asked Mary to gather sugar, which He turned to kale."
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    But what if it is a bad food like a light bulb? :open_mouth:

So at which point did this thread go from food labels to bible discussions?
  • PeachyCarol
    edited March 2015
    Options

The hammer.

OK...

God VS Satan ...

better ?

It's already Biblical:

Gnostic Gospels too. When they ran out of wedding cake at the wedding in Cana in the lost Gospel of Thaddeus the Clean Disciple, Jesus said "Oh Woman, what has this to do with a clean diet," and then asked Mary to gather sugar, which He turned to kale."

Jesus, the original paleo dieter. Those loaves from the loaves and fishes? Totally coconut flour and almond meal.

• ndj1979
    Options

Welp, guess it's time to turn off notifications...

LOL ….

so you don't want like fifty thousand notifications from this thread???
  • ndj1979
    Options

The hammer.

OK...

God VS Satan ...

better ?

It's already Biblical:

correction, The Dead Sugar Scrolls…< see what I did there….???
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ]

The hammer.

OK...

God VS Satan ...

better ?

It's already Biblical:

Jesus, the original paleo dieter. Those loaves from the loaves and fishes? Totally coconut flour and almond meal.

well it is common knowledge that when Mary Magdellan washed Jesus's feet they were really referring to washing his food ….it is like the original clean eating parable...
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Moving right along before this thread gets hit by a bolt of lightening - I actually, in my head, refer to food as "healthy" or "unhealthy."
    That's the point--on what evidence is it bad for you, if not eaten in excess and as part of an overall balanced diet? People keep asserting that, but no one so far has come up with evidence. Why is a scoop of gelato or a slice of my homemade apple pie bad for me? Why was the donut I ate during my last century ride bad for me?

I agree Lemurcat, no one will ever convince me that homemade apple pie is bad for me! I grew up eating my nanna's apple pie. :) A scoop of gelato or a hot donut straight off the machine will do me no harm in conjunction with a balanced diet.

Before I eat something, I ask myself "will this food nourish me or give me a gut ache?" Will I get a headache after eating it or will it make me feel unwell. Generally, I find a small amount does me no harm but I normally stay away from highly processed, fake foods.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options

Yes I think "The assertion ........" thread has been deleted which is so annoying as I wanted to read it. A lot of people spend a lot of time and effort stating their opinion and it seems that a small group of people then went out of their way to get the thread removed because they didn't agree with the discussion. Grrrr Why do they do that? If they are bored with the discussion, they can simply move onto another thread.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Did the other thread get nuked before we had a consensus on whether or not the FDA was wrong for labeling trans fats as "bad" food?
  • sir_thomas
    sir_thomas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To be perfectly honest, that kind of placation will not work for people like me who need to eat more healthy food. So I would rather adhere to more severe terminology, as we must not mince words or diminish the truth to help our minds. It's our bodies we are trying to improve, so no, I must object.