Looking to lose 100+ pounds... the healthy way!

Options

Replies

• emerald_gecko1975
    emerald_gecko1975 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    dbowen7984 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm looking to lose 135 lbs. So scary! Some days I don't even know where to start.. I have tried and failed so many times. A friend of mine recommended this app. It's been an eye opener for sure! This thread seems to be very encouraging! It's good to know I'm not the only one out there trying to do this the healthy way! I welcome any support or advice!

I have near what you have to lose. I didn't know how to start either but this app has been an eye opener and a life saver. I replace one meal a day with a smoothie and really read food labels and weigh things out and use measuring spoons. It's either all or nothing for me, and I hate that. That is what got me to the weight I am. I've been at it for a month and I have many many more to go. I have gone out and had several cheat meals and have paid the price with stalling the losses. I just need to pull up my big girl panties and keep on. Tomorrow is another day so I just have to keep looking forward and think about yesterday. I did also splurge and get a jawbone up24 yesterday, it is making me be more active.
  • wieghtingtoinhale
    wieghtingtoinhale Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just starting out and have a long journey ahead of me. Would love to share stories and keep each other motivated
  • prof_newme
    prof_newme Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    @dbowen7984 welcome! This group has been great! If I'm honest I have way more than 100 lbs to lose but it is too much to think about so I set m y first big goal at 100 and will reevaluate when I get there. Setting little and big goals helps. tiny daily goals med weekly goals add up to big long term ones!

@2run2ski yay! for NSV's a belt is a great indicator you are on the right track

@Emerald_gecko1975 measuring is great! I also have a jawbone and love it! Try to change your mind set it really helped me. It is not a "stalled weight" in stead think of it as a week you gained knowledge. So those weeks are just as valuable as the ones when the scale moves... You just need to look back and see what you can learn.

@wieghtingtoinhale Welcome you have done one of the hardest things, made the decision to change. From here on out it is all about learning how to do it.

like @shirayne I'm thankful to be able to come here and read about everyone's success and lend an ear if nothing else when we struggle. What a great group of people!
  • prof_newme
    Options
    I'd love to hear what everyone's goals are. It will help me to make mine public (accountability and all) and I might get some good ideas of where to go next...

Tomorrow (wed): 8 glasses of water (I struggle with this) and 7000 steps
    This week: track every bite every day even the not so good ones
    This month: get past a food filled family gathering without taking 3 steps back

now tell me yours
  • inchwormbyinchworm
    inchwormbyinchworm Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Goals:
    SW 259
    CW 211
    GW 200 initial
    GW 175
    GW 158

Not picking at food during prep and clean up

• ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hello- I am new to mfp and very new to the forums. Been tracking everyday and need to lose about 100 lbs to be at my goal weight. I have a disabilty that makes things tough (can't exercise traditionally) but I am motivated to take things slow and lose the healthy way. How can I join this group?
  • Bobzfit
    Bobzfit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hello- I am new to mfp and very new to the forums. Been tracking everyday and need to lose about 100 lbs to be at my goal weight. I have a disabilty that makes things tough (can't exercise traditionally) but I am motivated to take things slow and lose the healthy way. How can I join this group?

ninthnarnian, congratulations on taking the step to lose, and you are in! This is an awesome place to be. Your struggles will be easier with support.
    I would like to friend you and talk about your limitations. I do in home training with clients that have a lot of weight to lose. Any advice I can give you I will pass over to you.
  • danielle7577
    danielle7577 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to be doing great or asking for help when needed. Love reading all that!
  • Bobzfit
    Options
    Everyone seems to be doing great or asking for help when needed. Love reading all that!

Agreed! Just making a presence on the group is a great start. Everyone is in this together. Keep up the great work!!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I'll work on preparing ahead of time. It'll be a lot of effort since I can't cook. There's a supermarket across the street so I usually go there and buy a salad when I have enough time (usually only have 15 minutes between classes, or hours like today where I can come home and eat).
    @prof_newme I don't have a car. I walk to work or take the train (I live in Hamburg, Germany)
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Went to physical therapy for my BACK today. Twisted my ankle on the walk there and left looking like this (note my scraped up right knee). Needless to say, we didn't get much work done on my back... but, she thinks my ankle problem may be related to my back since this is the third time in three months my ankle has just completely given out on me while walking. if931wkkwi9y.jpg:

• shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! The sun is shining here and the temperature has gone (a bit). :)

Today will be a good day!

@kasey_ford: Welcome and I sure wish I had a chef in the family! Just think of all the healthy possibilities you have access to! Don't focus on the nibbles but maybe on how to make them healthier nibbles! :) You can do this!

@dbowen7984: It is absolutely a scary thing but like any other, when you face that fear head on, the feeling of accomplishment just can't be beat! You rock and don't forget it! :)

@wieghtingtoinhale‌: I love to share! Welcome!

@emerald_gecko1975‌: Turn those big girl panties into smaller girl panties! LOL Stay strong!

@2run2ski: HOLY NSV BATMAN!!! WOOT WOOT on the belt notch loss! You are SOOOO doing this!

@ninthnarnian: As Bob mentioned... You're in! Welcome to us and let us know if you have any questions.

Tip of the day (from my nutritionist) - When grocery shopping, buy the bulk of your food from the outside of the store! The middle aisles contain all the processed/boxed/packed/high sodium/etc... crap we don't want in our bodies! If you can limit that, it's a great thing!

Have an awesome Wednesday!
  • ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Here's a question you don't hear everyday- I have issues with Low (yes you heard that right) blood pressure. Any time I lose weight it gets even lower. (70/40 standing at my healthiest weight- and very symptomatic)

My question is- what are some healthy (fat/sugar wise) food suggestions that are high in sodium? My doctors have all encouraged a high sodium diet. I don't want to lose weight and get discouraged by passing out regularly again.

Thanks!

Ps. I already drink ALOT of water- and that is generally all I drink.
  • prof_newme
    Options
    @bregalad5 Wow that's great and great exercise! Maybe a cooler type backpack?

I both love and hate being in a car dependent city (mostly hate). I park as far away on campus as possible and walk back and forth. I always wanted to teach ESL and Germany is so beautiful!
  • happyplace
    happyplace Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I feel pretty good today. :) I have been struggling to get back into a routine of logging and workouts and this is my second day in a row. I have been around MFP for a few years now but was never very active in the boards. I think I have been missing out on an important part of the journey by not having a support system of people with a common goal. I hope to give as much as I get out of this group.

A little about me: I'm 33. I have four kids (15, 13, 4, and 2), I home school my kids and am a part time college student. I love food and cooking, but luckily I love finding healthy alternatives to my favorite splurge foods. My biggest challenge is probably my sweet tooth. I use the Fitbit Charge HR and have found it to be quite motivating.

Please feel free to add me as a friend! :)
  • prof_newme
    Options
    @ninthnarnian soups are usually great for low cal\low fat ... I love Campbell's healthy request. My favorites are tomato and sirloin burger. Either one with a grilled cheese sandwich (low fat cheese and pam not butter) add a veggie to the sandwich and you have a great meal. soup 130cal/cup
  • Bobzfit
    Options
    Here's a question you don't hear everyday- I have issues with Low (yes you heard that right) blood pressure. Any time I lose weight it gets even lower. (70/40 standing at my healthiest weight- and very symptomatic)

My question is- what are some healthy (fat/sugar wise) food suggestions that are high in sodium? My doctors have all encouraged a high sodium diet. I don't want to lose weight and get discouraged by passing out regularly again.

Thanks!

Ps. I already drink ALOT of water- and that is generally all I drink.

Not knowing how much water you drink, it could be a culprit in robbing your sodium intake. Your doctor may recommend an electrolyte replacement drink. Pedialyte is one.
    The subject of healthy fats, I would recommend coconut oil. A tablespoon a day is healthy. Nuts, olive oil, and avocado are an excellent source as well.

• danielle7577
    Options
    @bregalad5 Tough fall when your back already hurts and you need to walk to get everywhere! I hope they get you sorted out!
    @happyplace‌ Welcome! I have a fitbit charge too! Always stepping.
  • mildollarsmile
    mildollarsmile Posts: 41 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi, my name is Melanie but my friends call me Mel, I'm 37 and have a little over 100 pounds to lose, I have lost before on my own but it came back, I then learned I had Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease. It basically means my body is fighting against itself. The doctor told me it would be hard for me to lose but I can lose weight. I had the gastric Sleeve back in March of 2013. I went from 320 to 248, then I started battling endometriosis and recently had a total hysterectomy and now weigh 285. I would like 100-125 pounds off. Just want to fit in a size 9/10-11/12. If I can be at my goal by May 30, 2016. that would be great! but small steps, for now my goal is to log everything I eat (I love food) and start back a walking plan, week two and so far so good. I love to meet and become friends with people who have the same goals as I do with losing weight. I would love to help you on this new chapter of your healthy lifestyle living!!! We got this!!
    God Bless!
    Mel
  • danielle7577
    Options
    @mildollarsmile‌ It sounds like you are off to a good start after going through a lot of stuff! Welcome to the group!