Options

Replies

• CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Look online at a bunch lf different places and get an idea of how many calories are if different foods. You can use that information as a baseline for wherever you eat out. We don't eat out often, but whenever we do, I log the calories at the start of the day and eat around them to make sure I keep a deficit.
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I think I have a picture now. You're type 1 diabetic, you ate only once yesterday, and from your post yesterday... "I am not only trying to keep a caloric deficit but also keep myself in ketosis..." Do you also restrict your insulin intake?

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/skipping-insulin-diabetics-find-dangerous-drop-pounds/story?id=18687005

http://www.wearediabetes.org/diabulimia.php

If that's what you're doing, that's frekkin dangerous. You need help.

Umm... Did you actually read anything I posted? You do realize that the stories you just gave me were about a girl who QUIT TAKING HER INSULIN in order to lose weight. High BG's act like an acid in the body destroying everything and that is why you lose weight. I still take my meds and regulate my sugars. I just have discovered that reducing the amount of food I eat throughout the day helps in the regulating process.
    Huh?

Basically it eats up your body tissue. Both fat AND muscle. It also eats away at everything else.
    kakelley94 wrote: »
    This has to be the most annoying post I've ever read. If you're gonna correct everyone's answers to your question... Why ask at all. You clearly will only accept the answers that you yourself have come up with. Prayers for your date. I hope he is more tolerable than me.

The only people I corrected on here were the obnoxious trolls like you. There were plenty of people who have genuine answers to the question I posted.

The point is that the things you are saying about diabetes are false.
    Look online at a bunch lf different places and get an idea of how many calories are if different foods. You can use that information as a baseline for wherever you eat out. We don't eat out often, but whenever we do, I log the calories at the start of the day and eat around them to make sure I keep a deficit.
    I think I have a picture now. You're type 1 diabetic, you ate only once yesterday, and from your post yesterday... "I am not only trying to keep a caloric deficit but also keep myself in ketosis..." Do you also restrict your insulin intake?

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/skipping-insulin-diabetics-find-dangerous-drop-pounds/story?id=186870

Umm... Did you actually read anything I posted? You do realize that the stories you just gave me were about a girl who QUIT TAKING HER INSULIN in order to lose weight. High BG's act like an acid in the body destroying everything and that is why you lose weight. I still take my meds and regulate my sugars. I just have discovered that reducing the amount of food I eat throughout the day helps in the regulating process.
    Huh?

Basically it eats up your body tissue. Both fat AND muscle. It also eats away at everything else.

It really is time for you to stop. It's not even t by email slightest bit funny. You pack of understanding what diabetes is and then claiming you have it is just down right offensive. Hopefully the moderators will lock this thread up since it's giving so much false information on your part.
    Bit of advice here people, learn the difference between ketosis and diabetic ketoacidosis. It may open your eyes a little. It's pretty dang hard to use high BG's as a mode of weight loss (which is a great way to kill yourself) when you aren't feeding your body the foods that fuel DKA.

Knock it off. People need to ignore all the advice tour giving.

Until you develop the disease yourself and spend 10 years learning how to control it, maybe you should stop giving advice on it. I said what I did. I never gave advice. Don't like how I CONTROL my BG then don't bother being on here. Seriously, go look up the medical definition of ketosis and DKA since you seem to have zero knowledge of the topic.

Again, the things you have said are false. And it is pretty clear I'm better well versed on the subject of diabetes than you are.

My body says otherwise. My average BG is 143 which is still in the safe range and it has only come down once I learned that the best way to control it was through reducing carbs and sugar (which seems to offend you guys) and you have yet to prove me wrong. Instead you sit there and claim that I am wrong to say that high BG destroys everything in the body. You say that I am wrong to say that I can still be healthy and maintain my BG if I only eat one meal even though (again) my own BG says otherwise so it clearly worked for me and you say that ketosis (which results from fat burning that occurs upon depleting the sugar in your liver after so many days of low carbing) is no different than DKA which results from high BG (too much sugar in the blood) and can kill you by causing all your vital organs to *kitten* down. AGAIN though, you aren't exactly proving me wrong on anything.
  • loisseau
    loisseau Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Proper nutrition is at the core of good weight loss, along with weighed portion control and exercise. Each person's diet will vary, and judgements on sugars, trans fats may not be as meaningful or helpful to those trying to lose or gain weight. Your dietary needs will be different than others as you are a diabetic. Live and let live, enjoy your food as you lose weight, be it greens, carbs, or fat. Hopefully a little of each.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    This thread started with the OP asking if she should lie about allergies or bring her own food on a date and spiraled downward from there.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/skipping-insulin-diabetics-find-dangerous-drop-pounds/story?id=18687005

Huh?

kakelley94 wrote: »
    This has to be the most annoying post I've ever read. If you're gonna correct everyone's answers to your question... Why ask at all. You clearly will only accept the answers that you yourself have come up with. Prayers for your date. I hope he is more tolerable than me.

The only people I corrected on here were the obnoxious trolls like you. There were plenty of people who have genuine answers to the question I posted.

The point is that the things you are saying about diabetes are false.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/skipping-insulin-diabetics-find-dangerous-drop-pounds/story?id=186870

Huh?

It really is time for you to stop. It's not even t by email slightest bit funny. You pack of understanding what diabetes is and then claiming you have it is just down right offensive. Hopefully the moderators will lock this thread up since it's giving so much false information on your part.
    Bit of advice here people, learn the difference between ketosis and diabetic ketoacidosis. It may open your eyes a little. It's pretty dang hard to use high BG's as a mode of weight loss (which is a great way to kill yourself) when you aren't feeding your body the foods that fuel DKA.

Until you develop the disease yourself and spend 10 years learning how to control it, maybe you should stop giving advice on it. I said what I did. I never gave advice. Don't like how I CONTROL my BG then don't bother being on here. Seriously, go look up the medical definition of ketosis and DKA since you seem to have zero knowledge of the topic.

Again, the things you have said are false. And it is pretty clear I'm better well versed on the subject of diabetes than you are.

My body says otherwise. My average BG is 143 which is still in the safe range and it has only come down once I learned that the best way to control it was through reducing carbs and sugar (which seems to offend you guys) and you have yet to prove me wrong.

Actually 143 is outside of the normal range which is 80 - 120.

It is still within a safe range though and it has only come down the last few years upon me playing with my diet and learning how my body responds to things through keeping written food journals that include my BGs. If I followed the advice of people on here who insist that only calories matter and eat several small meals throughout he day (which requires more insulin use which results in weight gain because insulin is a body tissue developing hormone) then I would be packing on pounds and dealing with high BGs. What I take offense to is people telling me I don't know how to control my own disease when the progress I have made over the years and progressively happier blood work over the last few years has said otherwise and you STILL aren't disproving anything I say with facts. I didn't ask on tips to control my disease. I asked for tips on how to avoid unwanted ingredients in restaurant foods and my concerns were dismissed by people like you who took this thread way off track to preach about something you have no handson experience with. (Having a friend who has diabetes doesn't count)
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Buy her dinner first? Maybe drinks!!!
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    loisseau wrote: »
    Proper nutrition is at the core of good weight loss, along with weighed portion control and exercise. Each person's diet will vary, and judgements on sugars, trans fats may not be as meaningful or helpful to those trying to lose or gain weight. Your dietary needs will be different than others as you are a diabetic. Live and let live, enjoy your food as you lose weight, be it greens, carbs, or fat. Hopefully a little of each.

I know. Sorry. I am letting myself get all worked up by people on here who seem to be looking for fights. It's just when I have people on here telling me only calorie deficits matter when I asked to avoid ingredients that are basically nutritional suicide, I got jumped on by people who told me that my concerns where unfounded. If I had more experience dining out, I wouldn't be here asking questions. I thought I could ask this and just get people's tips and advice. I did get that but I had to fish it out from all the negative comments left by trolls who decided to flood the thread with unrelated things. I guess I just thought the MFP community was going to be more supporting than this but, again, it is hard to dig the support out of the pile of negativity it gets buried in.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I have a date tomorrow and he is taking me out to eat. I don't know where we are going but restaurants tend to cook things in unhealthy vegetables oils or put sugar in everything. I plan on getting whatever dish has the most meat and veggies, but how do I keep them from sneaking sugar or unhealthy fats into stuff? Do I lie and say I have allergies? If I tell them I am type 1 diabetic, will they cater to my requests? Is it something I should not even think about on a first date as it may come across as weird and obsessive? Can I make requests for them to use butter or olive oil instead of vegetable oil or canola oil? How do I avoid ingredients I don't want?

Corinna, from your original post. See the bolded part. In one breath you are suggesting you should lie about food allergies in order to get what you want, in the second you mention having type 1 diabetes. I don't know about others but when I first read this I assumed you were suggesting you didn't have diabetes but that you wanted to play a card to get what you wanted.

I know virtually nothing about Type 1 diabetes so I have no idea if the things you've claimed since are true or not, but when you start a post off saying you want to lie in order to get what you want, it doesn't give you a lot credibility for the subsequent discussion.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options

Knock it off. People need to ignore all the advice tour giving. [/quote]
    You asked where you said I was wrong. Here you go. And don't waste my time with some stupid remark like "I didn't say you were wrong in the quote" Instead, feel free to explain to me why exactly were you wanting me to quit saying there is a difference between ketosis and DKA?
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Well.....I hope your date went well. I do believe you put entirely too much thought into eating out. I estimate my calories at times and allow myself to go over my calorie goals. My calorie goal is not a litmus test, simply a guideline to help in my overall fitness goal.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I have a date tomorrow and he is taking me out to eat. I don't know where we are going but restaurants tend to cook things in unhealthy vegetables oils or put sugar in everything. I plan on getting whatever dish has the most meat and veggies, but how do I keep them from sneaking sugar or unhealthy fats into stuff? Do I lie and say I have allergies? If I tell them I am type 1 diabetic, will they cater to my requests? Is it something I should not even think about on a first date as it may come across as weird and obsessive? Can I make requests for them to use butter or olive oil instead of vegetable oil or canola oil? How do I avoid ingredients I don't want?

Corinna, from your original post. See the bolded part. In one breath you are suggesting you should lie about food allergies in order to get what you want, in the second you mention having type 1 diabetes. I don't know about others but when I first read this I assumed you were suggesting you didn't have diabetes but that you wanted to play a card to get what you wanted.

I know virtually nothing about Type 1 diabetes so I have no idea if the things you've claimed since are true or not, but when you start a post off saying you want to lie in order to get what you want, it doesn't give you a lot credibility for the subsequent discussion.

I never said I wanted to lie? I was asking if this would be a good means to avoiding certain ingredients since I can pretty much guess that if I just say I am dieting, they won't care are throw it in anyway. And I asked. I didn't say I would.
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Corinna I am a vegetarian and eating out is always sorta weird for me eating out. A lady I knew used to always order from kids menu b/c the portions are smaller. For me when I eat I go to Asian restaurant s b/c there is vegetables. Honestly for me with the stress already of dating why fuss yourself over menus? enjoy yourself. And even if he is great you are more important. I vote for what another lady said to eat beforehand and get a salad. Silver Diner near us just put a healthy options section on their menu, and they have nutrition details on menu
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options

You asked where you said I was wrong. Here you go. And don't waste my time with some stupid remark like "I didn't say you were wrong in the quote" Instead, feel free to explain to me why exactly were you wanting me to quit saying there is a difference between ketosis and DKA?

Huh? That makes absolutely no sense. Me saying people need to ignore you advice is me saying Ketosis and DKA are the same? What? You're making no sense at all. [/quote]

You are quite the knit picker. You must be a troll. I am just going ignore you now since you really aren't contributing anything constructive or intelligent to this thread.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,054 Member
    Options
    Best advice for insulin dependant diabetics - ignore Corinna's advice.

Follow the advice from your reputable health professional instead.

So what exactly did I advise vs. what did you guys assume and accuse me of? I would honestly love to know. God, I can believe the number of *kitten* and trolls on this site. And it's all the same people over and over. Guess MFP isn't a place to ask questions and expect honest answers. Just a great place to get lectures from trolls on their soap boxes. If this post annoys you then get the f*** off it you f****** ****.

You did get honest answers - you just didn't get the answers you wanted to hear.

Not quite sure why you asked a question if you had already decided on your answer.

Corinna I don't care what you decide to do with yourself and I am pretty sure this post of yours is against forum rules - but I do care whether other diabetics follow your lead of eating nothing till dinner time, especially when exercising - as this is a recipe for collapsing into a hypo.
    As such, no I won't get off the thread; I will point out the foolishness of this behaviour, for the sake of other people reading.

And yes I do know about diabetic management.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options

So what exactly did I advise vs. what did you guys assume and accuse me of? I would honestly love to know. God, I can believe the number of *kitten* and trolls on this site. And it's all the same people over and over. Guess MFP isn't a place to ask questions and expect honest answers. Just a great place to get lectures from trolls on their soap boxes. If this post annoys you then get the f*** off it you f****** ****.

You did get honest answers - you just didn't get the answers you wanted to hear.

Not quite sure why you asked a question if you had already decided on your answer.

Corinna I don't care what you decide to do with yourself and I am pretty sure this post of yours is against forum rules - but I do care whether other diabetics follow your lead of eating nothing till dinner time, especially when exercising - as this is a recipe for collapsing into a hypo.
    As such, no I won't get off the thread; I will point out the foolishness of this behaviour, for the sake of other people reading.

So because I did something and didn't drop dead, I am giving advice?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

I never said I wanted to lie? I was asking if this would be a good means to avoiding certain ingredients since I can pretty much guess that if I just say I am dieting, they won't care are throw it in anyway. And I asked. I didn't say I would.

What? How is you saying "should I lie and say I have food allergies" not implying that you wanted to lie?

You come in here originally WAY obsessed with things like hidden calories in restaurant foods, people tell you that it's just one day, make room for it and enjoy your date . Then you start in on the "a calorie isn't just a calorie" debate, and when people tell you that for weight loss that is all that matters, you say yeah but I actually am a diabetic. Then you go on your date and what you end up ordering is so far at the other extreme it again seems to invalidate your previous obsessions and your medical condition. When people challenge that choice for someone managing diabetes, you start lashing out calling everyone trolls and telling them they don't know what they are talking about.

A hallmark of a troll is someone who posts in order to incite drama. Someone who is inconsistent in order to get people riled up. I've actually only seen one person in this thread who is inconsistent and dramatic.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,054 Member
    Options

So because I did something and didn't drop dead, I am giving advice?

I didn't say you were giving advice - I said I cared whether other diabetic people followed your lead of eating nothing till dinner time, especially when exercising.

You may not have gone into a hypo doing this but most type 1 diabetics on insulin would.