Tips for eating out?

Options

Replies

• donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    This thread exhibits the psychology that some people can't accept that they might be wrong, that they might lack knowledge of or know less about something then someone else, then in the face of being pretty much proven wrong they must put down, belittle and berate the person who has more knowledge on the subject. This is called narcissism, which partially means the person feels they not only are never wrong but also are always right. Always.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    That's not the point. The point is I asked for tips on how to avoid unwanted ingredients in a restaurant meal and people said that ingredients don't matter because a calorie is a calorie as if eating clean and macronutrients were irrelevant. That is what irritated me.

There is a reason why people who low carb can eat more than people who calorie count and still lose weight. Different macro and micronutrients all get absorbed and used differently which means they also will require different amounts of energy to use. That is why I want to know if it is okay to ask if sugar is added to things. And then the vegetable oils for obvious reasons.

You aren't going to die if you eat one meal out and they use something you wouldn't normally eat.

• Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Q9KcmRE.jpg
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Best advice for insulin dependant diabetics - ignore Corinna's advice.

Follow the advice from your reputable health professional instead.

So what exactly did I advise vs. what did you guys assume and accuse me of? I would honestly love to know. God, I can believe the number of *kitten* and trolls on this site. And it's all the same people over and over. Guess MFP isn't a place to ask questions and expect honest answers. Just a great place to get lectures from trolls on their soap boxes. If this post annoys you then get the f*** off it you f****** ****.

You did get honest answers - you just didn't get the answers you wanted to hear.

Not quite sure why you asked a question if you had already decided on your answer.

Corinna I don't care what you decide to do with yourself and I am pretty sure this post of yours is against forum rules - but I do care whether other diabetics follow your lead of eating nothing till dinner time, especially when exercising - as this is a recipe for collapsing into a hypo.
    As such, no I won't get off the thread; I will point out the foolishness of this behaviour, for the sake of other people reading.

And yes I do know about diabetic management.

So because I did something and didn't drop dead, I am giving advice?

I didn't say you were giving advice - I said I cared whether other diabetic people followed your lead of eating nothing till dinner time, especially when exercising.

You may not have gone into a hypo doing this but most type 1 diabetics on insulin would.

Thank you for the bolded! I ended up unintentionally skipping my lunch yesterday (ended up missing my scheduled meal time while I was working on a term paper), and I paid for it with a lovely hypoglycemia episode. I found that regularly scheduled meals/snacks is one of the easier ways for me to keep my BG under control, especially when I was exercising previously that day. If I need to eat during a time where I experience more insulin resistance (such as breakfast), I simply need to get more creative with how I approach taking insulin for the meal (such as taking the insulin a half hour before I eat, eating slowly, taking insulin to account for some of the protein being converted to glucose, etc).
  • CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I have a date tomorrow and he is taking me out to eat. I don't know where we are going but restaurants tend to cook things in unhealthy vegetables oils or put sugar in everything. I plan on getting whatever dish has the most meat and veggies, but how do I keep them from sneaking sugar or unhealthy fats into stuff? Do I lie and say I have allergies? If I tell them I am type 1 diabetic, will they cater to my requests? Is it something I should not even think about on a first date as it may come across as weird and obsessive? Can I make requests for them to use butter or olive oil instead of vegetable oil or canola oil? How do I avoid ingredients I don't want?

Corinna, from your original post. See the bolded part. In one breath you are suggesting you should lie about food allergies in order to get what you want, in the second you mention having type 1 diabetes. I don't know about others but when I first read this I assumed you were suggesting you didn't have diabetes but that you wanted to play a card to get what you wanted.

I know virtually nothing about Type 1 diabetes so I have no idea if the things you've claimed since are true or not, but when you start a post off saying you want to lie in order to get what you want, it doesn't give you a lot credibility for the subsequent discussion.

I never said I wanted to lie? I was asking if this would be a good means to avoiding certain ingredients since I can pretty much guess that if I just say I am dieting, they won't care are throw it in anyway. And I asked. I didn't say I would.

What? How is you saying "should I lie and say I have food allergies" not implying that you wanted to lie?

You come in here originally WAY obsessed with things like hidden calories in restaurant foods, people tell you that it's just one day, make room for it and enjoy your date . Then you start in on the "a calorie isn't just a calorie" debate, and when people tell you that for weight loss that is all that matters, you say yeah but I actually am a diabetic. Then you go on your date and what you end up ordering is so far at the other extreme it again seems to invalidate your previous obsessions and your medical condition. When people challenge that choice for someone managing diabetes, you start lashing out calling everyone trolls and telling them they don't know what they are talking about.

A hallmark of a troll is someone who posts in order to incite drama. Someone who is inconsistent in order to get people riled up. I've actually only seen one person in this thread who is inconsistent and dramatic.

My original post had nothing to do with calories. Calories only came up because people told me calorie deficits were the only thing that mattered. When I ordered the meal that was probably loaded with things I didn't want (between the buns and the fries) I had taken into consideration what you guys said about one meal not hurting because being too health conscious on a first date would be weird and how I would still lose weight even if I ate crap food. I also had justified the food choice to myself by saying it was the only thing I ate that day anyway so the deficit was still there. I asked if lying was okay because I remember one girl telling me that she would do that to avoid dairy in her meals and was wondering if I could say the same to make sure they didn't add sugar to my meals. If I was just going to do it, I wouldn't have asked first. Everything else (drama) resulted from peoe getting on their soap boxes feeling the need to preach and suddenly I got stuck having to defend all my actions. No one here even bothered to consider that everyone is different and maybe for some of us, we find success in short periods of fasting or some of us are conscience about all the ingredients that are in our foods at home (I learned the hard way, thatentality is hard to carry over into a restaurant. Especially when the menu has no info on anything it serves and the guy in front of you is so awesome that health isn't worth looking weird over). You say I am the only dramatic one here but in all reality, I am only responding to what others are saying.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    This thread exhibits the psychology that some people can't accept that they might be wrong, that they might lack knowledge of or know less about something then someone else, then in the face of being pretty much proven wrong they must put down, belittle and berate the person who has more knowledge on the subject. This is called narcissism, which partially means the person feels they not only are never wrong but also are always right. Always.

Oh you.
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    One meal doesn't make you fat go out and enjoy yourself , keep up your water intake and exercise that day don't worry about it
  • CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    edack72 wrote: »
    One meal doesn't make you fat go out and enjoy yourself , keep up your water intake and exercise that day don't worry about it

I did exercise a lot and I also drank a lot of water. My meal wasn't the healthiest option but I kept an eye on my BG and it did fine. I hardly needed any insulin that day and I never once needed to touch the juice in my purse. It was a good day.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    edack72 wrote: »

I did exercise a lot and I also drank a lot of water. My meal wasn't the healthiest option but I kept an eye on my BG and it did fine. I hardly needed any insulin that day and I never once needed to touch the juice in my purse. It was a good day.

Type 1 and hardly needed insulin? I are confused.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I have a date tomorrow and he is taking me out to eat. I don't know where we are going but restaurants tend to cook things in unhealthy vegetables oils or put sugar in everything. I plan on getting whatever dish has the most meat and veggies, but how do I keep them from sneaking sugar or unhealthy fats into stuff? Do I lie and say I have allergies? If I tell them I am type 1 diabetic, will they cater to my requests? Is it something I should not even think about on a first date as it may come across as weird and obsessive? Can I make requests for them to use butter or olive oil instead of vegetable oil or canola oil? How do I avoid ingredients I don't want?

Corinna, from your original post. See the bolded part. In one breath you are suggesting you should lie about food allergies in order to get what you want, in the second you mention having type 1 diabetes. I don't know about others but when I first read this I assumed you were suggesting you didn't have diabetes but that you wanted to play a card to get what you wanted.

I know virtually nothing about Type 1 diabetes so I have no idea if the things you've claimed since are true or not, but when you start a post off saying you want to lie in order to get what you want, it doesn't give you a lot credibility for the subsequent discussion.

I never said I wanted to lie? I was asking if this would be a good means to avoiding certain ingredients since I can pretty much guess that if I just say I am dieting, they won't care are throw it in anyway. And I asked. I didn't say I would.

What? How is you saying "should I lie and say I have food allergies" not implying that you wanted to lie?

You come in here originally WAY obsessed with things like hidden calories in restaurant foods, people tell you that it's just one day, make room for it and enjoy your date . Then you start in on the "a calorie isn't just a calorie" debate, and when people tell you that for weight loss that is all that matters, you say yeah but I actually am a diabetic. Then you go on your date and what you end up ordering is so far at the other extreme it again seems to invalidate your previous obsessions and your medical condition. When people challenge that choice for someone managing diabetes, you start lashing out calling everyone trolls and telling them they don't know what they are talking about.

A hallmark of a troll is someone who posts in order to incite drama. Someone who is inconsistent in order to get people riled up. I've actually only seen one person in this thread who is inconsistent and dramatic.

My original post had nothing to do with calories. Calories only came up because people told me calorie deficits were the only thing that mattered. When I ordered the meal that was probably loaded with things I didn't want (between the buns and the fries) I had taken into consideration what you guys said about one meal not hurting because being too health conscious on a first date would be weird and how I would still lose weight even if I ate crap food. I also had justified the food choice to myself by saying it was the only thing I ate that day anyway so the deficit was still there. I asked if lying was okay because I remember one girl telling me that she would do that to avoid dairy in her meals and was wondering if I could say the same to make sure they didn't add sugar to my meals. If I was just going to do it, I wouldn't have asked first. Everything else (drama) resulted from peoe getting on their soap boxes feeling the need to preach and suddenly I got stuck having to defend all my actions. No one here even bothered to consider that everyone is different and maybe for some of us, we find success in short periods of fasting or some of us are conscience about all the ingredients that are in our foods at home (I learned the hard way, thatentality is hard to carry over into a restaurant. Especially when the menu has no info on anything it serves and the guy in front of you is so awesome that health isn't worth looking weird over). You say I am the only dramatic one here but in all reality, I am only responding to what others are saying.

The drama started with your first post asking if you should lie and continued in the 9th post of this thread when you went off on the all calories are not the same tangent followed by eat nothing but candy or McDonalds reductio ad absurdum comments. You then managed to top that with the claim that high blood glucose eats your body away and that was why people lost weight.

Quite simply the drama was, and continues to be, all your doing. The name calling ... from you. The poorly chosen eating patterns ... you again. You respond to fact based comments with drama.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP you are a type 1 diabetic and you are going to try to eat nothing until dinner time ???.

Are you newly diagnosed?
    Have you seen a diabetic educator?

Because this is a very very bad idea - how to get a hypo before your date.

Diabetics on insulin must have regular meals.

No we don't. I have been diabetic for 10 years and my BG is actually best managed when I skip breakfast all together and I find that intermitent fasting is also a great way to control it. The whole notion of small meals throughout he day bein better for you is a myth.

On a side note; date went super well. We were together for 12 hours and talked about everything under the sun. We spent half the day hiking so I did cave and get a gourmet burger with garlic fries, but it was the only thing I ate all day and my BG stayed regulated all day. We are going on a second date tomorrow for lunch. No hiking that day (it will be right before church) so I will have to make sure I make a better meal choice.

I didn't say small meals throughout the day,I said regular meals.
    Eating one meal a day is not a good idea at all for diabetics on insulin.

Anyway after all that angst about insy bits of sugar in salad dressings, you manage to have a burger and fries - that's quite a turn around in thinking!!

Actually that's a turnaround in everyone else's thinking who were blasting her.

I know right. You just can't win with this crowd. I think the Paleo nuts who treat their diets like a religion are nicer than this most of the time. Haha

Ok, I read that comment a completely different way to you clearly. I thought atypicalsmith was in agreement with paperpudding, the fact that you were going crazy about what to eat then had burger and fries.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

You really should just stop. I'm sure you are normally a rational and logical person but it's clouded here by your defensiveness. Go back and reread the entire thread. Pretend you didn't start it but someone else whom you don't know. Come back and let us know what you think.

• debrag12
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Look online at a bunch lf different places and get an idea of how many calories are if different foods. You can use that information as a baseline for wherever you eat out. We don't eat out often, but whenever we do, I log the calories at the start of the day and eat around them to make sure I keep a deficit.
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I think I have a picture now. You're type 1 diabetic, you ate only once yesterday, and from your post yesterday... "I am not only trying to keep a caloric deficit but also keep myself in ketosis..." Do you also restrict your insulin intake?

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/skipping-insulin-diabetics-find-dangerous-drop-pounds/story?id=186870

http://www.wearediabetes.org/diabulimia.php

If that's what you're doing, that's frekkin dangerous. You need help.

Umm... Did you actually read anything I posted? You do realize that the stories you just gave me were about a girl who QUIT TAKING HER INSULIN in order to lose weight. High BG's act like an acid in the body destroying everything and that is why you lose weight. I still take my meds and regulate my sugars. I just have discovered that reducing the amount of food I eat throughout the day helps in the regulating process.
    Huh?

Basically it eats up your body tissue. Both fat AND muscle. It also eats away at everything else.

It really is time for you to stop. It's not even t by email slightest bit funny. You pack of understanding what diabetes is and then claiming you have it is just down right offensive. Hopefully the moderators will lock this thread up since it's giving so much false information on your part.
    Bit of advice here people, learn the difference between ketosis and diabetic ketoacidosis. It may open your eyes a little. It's pretty dang hard to use high BG's as a mode of weight loss (which is a great way to kill yourself) when you aren't feeding your body the foods that fuel DKA.

Knock it off. People need to ignore all the advice tour giving.

Until you develop the disease yourself and spend 10 years learning how to control it, maybe you should stop giving advice on it. I said what I did. I never gave advice. Don't like how I CONTROL my BG then don't bother being on here. Seriously, go look up the medical definition of ketosis and DKA since you seem to have zero knowledge of the topic.

Ok only cancer sufferers can give advise on cancer, no need for medical professions in that case then. No need for specialist diabetic nurses or doctors unless they have it themselves?!
  • debrag12
    Options
    loisseau wrote: »
    Corinna, a calorie is a calorie isn't the point the dietitian is making, it's calorie utilization by type, and how your body metabolizes them. Nevertheless, calories are calories, and if you run a consistent metabolic deficit, you will lose weight.

I just find it funny that a person who would dare to care about more than calories on here (like added sugars and trans fats) would get scolded so bad for daring to do so. I checked the diary of one of the girls on here who told me I was an idiot and her diary was full of more than half junk food. I think her only good meal for the day was some veggies at breakfast.

Bet shes losing weight without stupid restrictions.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Thank you for the bolded! I ended up unintentionally skipping my lunch yesterday (ended up missing my scheduled meal time while I was working on a term paper), and I paid for it with a lovely hypoglycemia episode. I found that regularly scheduled meals/snacks is one of the easier ways for me to keep my BG under control, especially when I was exercising previously that day. If I need to eat during a time where I experience more insulin resistance (such as breakfast), I simply need to get more creative with how I approach taking insulin for the meal (such as taking the insulin a half hour before I eat, eating slowly, taking insulin to account for some of the protein being converted to glucose, etc).

I appreciate your sensible contribution to this thread, and your excellent description.

I don't have any faith in getting a straight answer from the OP but I am curious what her BG numbers were two hours after that burger meal. And also her BG after that long hike on an empty stomach. That was some crazy-extreme day she described (sugar-wise).
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Oh this thread. Glad you didn't bring your own ranch dressing OP. Hope the christian military dude was nice.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    M2M, I guess you do not watch movies, or maybe I aged myself.....lol.

There were multiple people that I could have been referring to. But thanks for letting me know..... :)

Have you ever been to a Turkish Prison? Do you like movies about gladiators?????