Things that aren't worth the calories........

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »
    mushrooms. cause they make me puke. but this conversation is very odd. eat what you enjoy in moderation. I get cranky if I say anything is off limits

I don't think this thread is so much about putting things off limits as it's about choices you've made about where you choose to spend your calories.

How about foods you've decided are worth the calories? For me:

Full fat cottage cheese and 2% yogurt (can't find the full fat)
    Kerry Gold butter
    Talenti
    Good Parmesan (though it's really not calorific for a small portion)

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Sugary drinks, cheesecake, juice, store bought baked goods, full fat ice cream, most full fat dairy, bar margaritas, fast food, marbled steaks, breaded deep fried fish

Those are the ones that sprang quickly to mind.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    Regular sodas, full-fat ice cream, cakes/cheesecakes (except on special occasions), brownies, cookies (I used to bake every day...), most fast food items, peanut butter, non-alcoholic milkshakes.

It isn't that I don't like these things, I just don't feel like they are worth the calories the vast majority of the time any more. I mean, I could blow 1/4-1/3 of the day's cals on a single slice of cheesecake easy. Doesn't mean it is never worth it, but as an everyday thing? No, not anymore.

Milk shakes, fast food, cookies, brownies and cheese cake? There was a time when these were "everyday things" ?!?!?

• ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Any thing noted as fat or sugar free. Too many additives and fake stuff.
    And fast food, that stuff is not worth it to me.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    "Fat Coke" is a British thing, just meaning not-diet. Just good old fashioned Coca Cola is a "Fat Coke" in England.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    mummma wrote: »
    I was just having this discussion with my friends. what do you think isn't worth the calories.

we came up with. full fat coke, nutella, cadburys cream eggs, wine, energy drinks, anything with full fat milk, McDonalds milkshakes...

??? Opposite for me: just about anything labelled as low-fat is not worth the calories. The real thing is so much better! Quality over quantity.
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »
    mushrooms. cause they make me puke. but this conversation is very odd. eat what you enjoy in moderation. I get cranky if I say anything is off limits

I don't think this thread is so much about putting things off limits as it's about choices you've made about where you choose to spend your calories.

yeh that's what i meant. maybe i didn't explain it quite right. :)

• HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Any thing noted as fat or sugar free. Too many additives and fake stuff.
    And fast food, that stuff is not worth it to me.

For fast food, I generally agree with you. But there is 1 sandwich I will splurge on at Wendy's or Chic fil A. And I will make 5 guysor Shake Shack fit if I feel like it.
  • mummma
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I was just having this discussion with my friends. what do you think isn't worth the calories.

we came up with. full fat coke, nutella, cadburys cream eggs, wine, energy drinks, anything with full fat milk, McDonalds milkshakes...

??? Opposite for me: just about anything labelled as low-fat is not worth the calories. The real thing is so much better! Quality over quantity.

my friend that came up with that one was referring to coffee at starbucks i think lol
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Mac and cheese... because I'll eat the entire box, and there's 1,200 calories gone for nothing :P
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    Regular sodas, full-fat ice cream, cakes/cheesecakes (except on special occasions), brownies, cookies (I used to bake every day...), most fast food items, peanut butter, non-alcoholic milkshakes.

It isn't that I don't like these things, I just don't feel like they are worth the calories the vast majority of the time any more. I mean, I could blow 1/4-1/3 of the day's cals on a single slice of cheesecake easy. Doesn't mean it is never worth it, but as an everyday thing? No, not anymore.

Milk shakes, fast food, cookies, brownies and cheese cake? There was a time when these were "everyday things" ?!?!?

Yes. My highest BMI was 44.9. I am 22.1 now.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    1 cup of cashews for about 700 calories. sigh.

I was definitely about to write, "Cashews," because they are so high in calories.
  • beckyml1980
    beckyml1980 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If it brings you pleasure, eat it.
    If it doesn't being you pleasure, don't eat it.

Mmmmm coke.

#moderation

Agreed...... And wine is SO worth the calories. :)

• racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had a big *kitten* jelly filled donut about a month ago from a local bakery that is known for this particular donut. I ate it, thought it was ok, found out it had 700 calories and was sick about it. No way was it worth 700 calories. Plus I was super hungry again an hour later.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    1 cup of cashews for about 700 calories. sigh.

I was definitely about to write, "Cashews," because they are so high in calories.

I happen to think cashews are TOTALLY worth it. I had them crushed up and on top of my stir fry for lunch <3<3
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options

Ohhh, my pet peeve! Coke doesn't have fat in it!

Nutella, you're wrong there. Cream eggs, wrong again. Full fat milk > skim.

For me - mayo is not worth the calories. Also, generally any "junk food" that has been healthified - like, low calorie cake or whatever. The calories aren't generally that much lower, but it tastes awful. Just eat the real thing and actually enjoy rather than suffer through it and not be that better off anyway as far as the calories go.
  • mummma
    Options
    I had a big *kitten* jelly filled donut about a month ago from a local bakery that is known for this particular donut. I ate it, thought it was ok, found out it had 700 calories and was sick about it. No way was it worth 700 calories. I was hungry an hour later.

eurgh! thats exactly the kind of thing that had us talking this topic lol it definitely makes us think twice!
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I love all the food. I don't know if there is anything for me that isn't worth the calories, but there are foods I avoid because I know I have no self control.
  • mrsswisspea
    mrsswisspea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    What's totally not worth it: fruit juice, candy, coffee syrups, and fries. Sugary cocktails are totally not worth it for me. Give me a ~160 cal Guinness or glass of red wine any day over a 250 calorie bomb that I drink in 30 seconds.

Full-fat dairy is totally worth the calories to me, the difference between full (or reduced) and fat-free/skim isn't enough for me to sacrifice the flavour and feeling of fullness.