EATING CLEAN VERSUS EATING LESS

Options

Replies

• EatMoreJustBetter
    Options
    First month doesn't mean much because of water weight and you'll lose on 2100 with your stats, so really don't see it as an experiment because unless you get checked with doubly labeled water it's all just guess work anyway.....that's why your here because you think your a special snowflake and your going to learn us a thing or two.

No no no, this is not because I am special or am trying to teach anything... I seriously want to know if it really is calorie based or it is what you eat... wow so assumptive lol
    Seriously, ok then your going in either biased or uneducated.

Really I wanted someone to do this with me, where they eat junk food and I eat clean food and see who loses more (eating same amounts) but who is gonna volunteer to eat junk food that is the same weight as me...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Banana's I say.
  • paultucker1007
    paultucker1007 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Well, I for one look forward to the results of an n=1 non-blinded experiment conducted by someone with no science background and a vested interest in the outcome. I really feel that this will add greatly to the collective knowledge of humanity.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    BTW, according to various calculations your TDEE is around

2270 Mifflin-St Jeor
    2300 Harris Benedict

if you are truly sedentary. That would be your maintenance level - eating 2100 is a small cut.

Do you plan to carry out any exercise or just sit on the couch?
    If you change your routine, you'll certainly lose weight. So please, don't change your routine.

• markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Anybody got a number for the calorific burn when you make your food clean ? I have a sponge and a bucket if that helps
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Well, I for one look forward to the results of an n=1 non-blinded experiment conducted by someone with no science background and a vested interest in the outcome. I really feel that this will add greatly to the collective knowledge of humanity.
    Who also has basic math difficulties.

• EatMoreJustBetter
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    In order for it to be useful, OP (as I suggested earlier) needs to establish her true TDEE then eat regular food at maintenance then replace regular food with her consideration of what is clean food

And each stage should last a minimum of 8 weeks

THAT would be interesting

Clean eating means no junk food, processed foods, and what not... that is normal food...

Define processed

Define junk

Would a burger be junk..ya know organic, home-reared fresh ground beef, onions, spices, a fresh-laid egg. Would it become unclean if I topped it with cheese, what about lettuce, tomato? Is it the bread? What if I made it at home ...is it the fact that the wheat is ground that makes a process or the yeast is a leavening process

This is why "clean" has no definition

MMMMM got ya... ok... I will not be eating any fast food, nothing with processed/added sugars... mostly veggies for carbs and beans for proteins, original grains, and so fourth....
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

2270 Mifflin-St Jeor
    2300 Harris Benedict

if you are truly sedentary. That would be your maintenance level - eating 2100 is a small cut.

If you change your routine, you'll certainly lose weight. So please, don't change your routine.

I keep asking how she arrived at her TDEE but pft at me.

Also don't you get too smart and knowledgeable in here mister. Don't ruin this with your brains.
  • EatMoreJustBetter
    Options
    mmmmm. In order to "prove" anything, you should eat at least at your maintenance level.
    But anyway, why?

Yes I am eating over my maintenance level....

There is something wrong in your calculations. 2 lbs/week of weight loss means a deficit of 1000 calories per day. So to be in maintenance, you should eat not 800 calories over 1390, but 1.000 (=2390).

I just plugged it in to an oline calculator... what do you use?
  • paultucker1007
    paultucker1007 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I simply can't believe that not one scientist, dietician or even (cough) nutritionist has ever thought of running a similar experiment, possibly in a controlled setting with a large group of people. Bravo to the OP for conceiving of something that the rest of humanity overlooked.
  • EatMoreJustBetter
    Options
    Blimey what a bunch of haters, lol....
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »

2270 Mifflin-St Jeor
    2300 Harris Benedict

Also don't you get too smart and knowledgeable in here mister. Don't ruin this with your brains.

I won't - I'd just like her to eat at her TDEE.
    I think it's a glorious experiment.
  • EatMoreJustBetter
    Options

2270 Mifflin-St Jeor
    2300 Harris Benedict

I was not ignoring you, I just trying to anwser everyone ... ok fine lets go with 2300...lord thats a lot of salad lol
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    mmmmm. In order to "prove" anything, you should eat at least at your maintenance level.
    But anyway, why?

Yes I am eating over my maintenance level....

There is something wrong in your calculations. 2 lbs/week of weight loss means a deficit of 1000 calories per day. So to be in maintenance, you should eat not 800 calories over 1390, but 1.000 (=2390).

I just plugged it in to an oline calculator... what do you use?

try that one: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Hi all, welcome to my experiment...

I will be eating almost 800 calories over what the suggested amount is for losing 2lbs a week

What I entered :

Weight 260

Height 5'7

Lifestyle: sedentary

The suggest 1390 a day

I will be eating 2100

I believe I will still lose weight without starving myself because eating clean and burning fat is far different than eating junk and burning muscle... whats more I think I will lose more weight this way...

I will also be drinking approximation 120 ounces of water a day to help flush fat cells

I will be posting my diary link so that you can check it, I will be logging in every day, and weighing myself once a week...

I am excited to see these results!!!

That's nice dear

May I suggest you eat 1000 calories over your 2lb cut for a real experiment. Also ensure your TDEE is correct so you need to keep doing this until you hit your maintenance over a couple of months on regular food and then replace ...you know so that it is actually an experiment

Oh and fat cells don't flush away they kind of just empty

Well not sure I can eat that much in a day, clean eating is WAY more food than junk eating... but I will try....lol

Also, TDEE is 2080 which is why I chose the 2100 number...

Yes by flush I meant to clean them out, not that they will actually leave my body.... lol

So you got overweight how?? There are plenty of 'clean' high cal foods btw - nuts, avocados, oils...

Becuase I used to think pizza and chocolate were part of the main food groups... no seriously I ate crap all the time... it was fast and easy and I was short on time.... sure there are some medical issues thrown in there but that is not an excuse for how grossly I ate or treated myself...

The pizza I had tonight wasn't fast! Took, like, 35 minutes to get here. I could have made food faster than that, but my egg-dispensing ovary required pizza, so I didn't. I'm pretty confident that it won't affect my weight loss efforts, cos CICO. Anyway, my point was that saying you can't 'eat clean' at what should be your maintenance level is pretty ridiculous. Just think about it.

What does your other ovary dispense?

Boom tish

Skittles. I like that ovary.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

2270 Mifflin-St Jeor
    2300 Harris Benedict

I was not ignoring you, I just trying to anwser everyone ... ok fine lets go with 2300...lord thats a lot of salad lol

Cool, good luck - how long are you doing this?

• Daiako
    Options

2270 Mifflin-St Jeor
    2300 Harris Benedict

That's fair.

Now to help the OP run her experiment properly we must first arrive at her actual TDEE and not what some calculator spat back at her. Clearly the usual method of trial and error over a long period of time is out which leaves...uh.

...Nothing?
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Look, you said you were told to consume 1390 for a 2lb a week weight loss, which equates to a 1000 calorie deficit, your eating 800 over 1390 which still leaves you in a deficit of appox 200 calories, your still going to lose weight. If you were to eat 1000 over your maintenance you would need to consume 3390 calories because your maintenance is 2390.

• EvgeniZyntx
    Options

2270 Mifflin-St Jeor
    2300 Harris Benedict

That's fair.

Now to help the OP run her experiment properly we must first arrive at her actual TDEE and not what some calculator spat back at her. Clearly the usual method of trial and error over a long period of time is out which leaves...uh.

...Nothing?

That's ok. We can always claim she didn't actually know her TDEE. (Am I ruining it?)
    I'm not going to post on how I'd design this, I'm sure that WOULD ruin it.
  • Daiako
    Options

Now now. no one is hating. We just want to help you work out as many variables and keep things as clear as possible so no one can challenge your results after.

Now for activity: How did you come to sedentary? Will you be adding in working out calories? How do you intend to report your non exercise activity to us?