the military diet

Options

Replies

• uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    The more of this thread I read, the more Strother Martin comes to mind.

1-Cool-Hand-Luke-quotes.gif

I love "Cool hand Luke"!

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am sniffing a conspiracy to drive up traffic to the military diet website by referring to it here on MFP. Please don't click on themilitarydiet.com

I'm going to link a fairly objective description of the diet and the relative risk. Warning, the site has a live audio feed.

http://www.diet.com/g/3day-diet

It's a stupid diet.
  • gypsychic33
    gypsychic33 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Conspiracy? What? Lol

Stomach hasn't growled once and usually it does, so now at least a have a good breakfast I know works for me.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Conspiracy? What? Lol

Stomach hasn't growled once and usually it does, so now at least a have a good breakfast I know works for me.

Wondering how full you will be feeling at the end of the day...

OP as with others, I agree, this approach is just a catchy name to create a calorie deficit. It really is no different than any other trend - cabbage soup diet, Atkins, 21 Day Fix, etc. If you need structure in order to adhere to something, go for it, but I do not see this teaching you how to be successful in the long term. That's why there are examples of success stories from people who have tried this diet over and over.

Why not just set up MFP the way it was designed to be used, with a reasonable caloric deficit, and then eat whatever you like within those guidelines to lose the weight and be able to keep it up forever? I guess I need to come up with a catchy name for that. Let's call it the "Sustainability Diet".

• gypsychic33
    Options
    I am tracking what I eat for the next 3 weeks and see what happens. Just ate lunch of tuna, bread, and tea. I've drank 2 cups of water so far, not including the tea.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    1 meal in and... "it works for me'.

OP, there's an effect that takes place whenever you start something new. You're experiencing it now.

Good luck.
  • gypsychic33
    Options
    I never said it works for me... my update this am was pretty much "so far so good"

Maybe I will fail, who knows? But I want to at least try and this is how I want to try. It's not for very long, 9 days total. I also don't mind any of the foods except cottage cheese (yuk!) So it shouldn't be horrible even if it's not always easy.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Wait- it promotes a diet of less than 1000 cals? I thought we were not allowed to promote vlcds?
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
  • Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Period. End of story. NO.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    "The Military Diet is based on the idea that some foods speed up the metabolism. These foods include:

Lean proteins
    Toast
    Crackers
    Vegetables
    Ice cream"

(From the 3 Day Diet website.)

Hmm.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you are so full you can't finish half the food on an about 865 calorie diet (I was curious so added it up), there's something else going on.

The food is not particularly filling.

I do like the idea that ice cream is magically speeding the metabolism and that it takes on all the anti wheat folks by claiming that toast and crackers are special weight loss foods, but it's still ridiculous.
  • gypsychic33
    Options
    It was just breakfast I found so filling. Although lunch was pretty filling for me too.
  • Team_Hound
    Options
    Anything called "The _________ Diet" is usually a faddy type thing and works only for a brief period of time.
  • meghanduprey
    meghanduprey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Team_Hound wrote: »
    Anything called "The _________ Diet" is usually a faddy type thing and works only for a brief period of time.

<3 loves <3
  • gypsychic33
    Options
    Good thing I'm only doing it for a brief period of time :smiley:

I don't really see it as any different than intermittent fasting, which a lot of people do... just my opinion
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I tried it. My recommendation: Don't do it. Waste of time, waste of energy. I was miserable and felt ill the ENTIRE time.

Just start logging what you eat, try not to eat too much, and start exercising. You'll eventually catch on.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    654f84f384d641f68ce1b97b679c164ab46ae5bd5f4c4fb8d11b5e5897c4dedc.jpg
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/31910233#Comment_31910233
    Noelv1976 wrote: »
    Me Army----me don't eat military diet because there is no such thing. Believe it or not, trainees at basic and Advanced Individual training eat three healthy, square meals a day. Nothing fancy, just real food.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10129476/eating-what-you-like-vs-clean-eating-vs-following-weight-watchers-or-low-carb-or-other-method/p1
    Eat the way you want to eat the rest of your life. If you are happy "eating clean" (however you define that) for the rest of you life then go for it.
    If not, then don't. Same goes for low carb.

If it is not something you want to do forever then no use starting. Temporary changes are the base of yo-yo dieting.
    4legsRbetterthan2 said it best "If it is not something you want to do forever then no use starting. Temporary changes are the base of yo-yo dieting. "