Eliminating bread and rice?

Options

Replies

• mls100771
    mls100771 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm a low carber, so bread and rice are out for me. But isn't white bread a simple carb?
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything will make you fat. Including no carbs. They are usually heavy handed with the calories so just monitor your amount. I would avoid simple carbs though :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Is the lowest calorie bread always the best option? The Weight Watchers skinny slices have got to be nearly the lowest calorie option out there, but I find they have no sturdiness to carry the good stuff.

So I eat firmer texture breads that have staying power. The calorie difference is negligible compared to the toppings anyways.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    But I typically avoid Texas Toast because...who needs to DOUBLE the calories?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    But does it help to remove them from your diet?

If it helps you reduce your calories.

I mostly cut them out for a while because I don't care much about rice and only like really good bread (which I eat only rarely), so it was a completely painless way to reduce calories. People who really like them, though, would feel differently.

I've actively added in rice recently because I've been trying to raise my carbs a bit (because I raised my calories) and am experimenting with it, along with some other options, as a post-workout food. Plus, I got a new rice cooker that makes really good rice, so I've decided I like it a bit more than I'd thought.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    mls100771 wrote: »
    I'm a low carber, so bread and rice are out for me. But isn't white bread a simple carb?

Most sources will not list white bread as a complex carb, its actually difficult to find anywhere that it is a complex carb as it is made from wheat, it is more commonly listed as a refined starch as most of the nutritional content has been stripped out then nutrients added back in.

The more complex a carbohydrate the slower it is broken down in your system, thats why whole grain or seven grain bread is more associated with complex carbs.

The more refined a starch the faster it is absorbed into you system which can result in blood sugar peaks and drops causing a less stable energy level.
  • shapenerfiterratii
    shapenerfiterratii Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Stbarber1 wrote: »

Most sources will not list white bread as a complex carb, its actually difficult to find anywhere that it is a complex carb as it is made from wheat, it is more commonly listed as a refined starch as most of the nutritional content has been stripped out then nutrients added back in.

The more complex a carbohydrate the slower it is broken down in your system, thats why whole grain or seven grain bread is more associated with complex carbs.

The more refined a starch the faster it is absorbed into you system which can result in blood sugar peaks and drops causing a less stable energy level.
    But the question is does that mean white rice is not a complex carb because it isn't complex enough?

Now I'm interested.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    We cut out bread, but that was because my husband has had occasional flare-ups of an intestinal problem that may or may not be Crohn's. He had a crohn's diagnosis, but, it seems to have gone away for now at least. Anyways, no pasta or bread here. I didn't lose any additional weight cutting out bread because I replaced it with other things and still ate the same amount of calories.

I can see cutting out a trigger food. Like, if bread in the house means you can't stop yourself from eating 10 PB and J sandwiches, then maybe you'd do better not having it in the house. There are foods which are like that for me. We had whole wheat bread, and I just didn't feel the need to binge on that. It was one of those things that would go bad and we'd have to throw some away.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Properly simple vs. complex carbohydrate refers to the chemical structure, with sugars (including fruit sugars) being simple and starches (including in potato chips or white bread) being complex. Nothing whatsoever to do with nutritional value or whether they are "refined" or "processed" or not, and nothing to do with the GI, the relevance of which is incredibly overstated anyway.

People just confuse "simple" with "refined" or think it sounds bad or the like.

If you want white bread to be digested more slowly, of course, you can add butter. Slow digestion is helpful for making your diet more satisfying, for many, but isn't the be-all, end-all of nutrition, as some would have it.

I'm all for whole grains and try to eat them for the most part when I eat grains (I'm actually somewhat convinced that white rice is more nutritionally beneficial than brown, though), but not because of simple vs. complex (I'm much more fond of fruit than any grains) or because I care about the GI when I don't eat plain bread by itself ever.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I'm a starter and I've heard a lot of people say they stopped eating rice and bread, while others said that you need it, and now I'm confused. Besides common sense of moderation, do you really think eliminating bread and rice from my diet will help a lot?
    Don't make fun of me :p
    If you're low carbing, then you reduce the amount of water and glycogen in your cells. That's what the initial large weight loss comes from. But if you intend to start eating it again, your weight could jump up anywhere from 3-10lbs from one meal of it because you're restoring what was depleted.
    Doing this for a long time now and being an avid eater of white rice (I'm Asian), it's really more about CICO when it comes to weight loss rather than elimination of foods or food groups.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• shapenerfiterratii
    shapenerfiterratii Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I'm a starter and I've heard a lot of people say they stopped eating rice and bread, while others said that you need it, and now I'm confused. Besides common sense of moderation, do you really think eliminating bread and rice from my diet will help a lot?
    Don't make fun of me :p
    If you're low carbing, then you reduce the amount of water and glycogen in your cells. That's what the initial large weight loss comes from. But if you intend to start eating it again, your weight could jump up anywhere from 3-10lbs from one meal of it because you're restoring what was depleted.
    Doing this for a long time now and being an avid eater of white rice (I'm Asian), it's really more about CICO when it comes to weight loss rather than elimination of foods or food groups.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Not necessarily low-carbing, it's just that we eat a lot of bread and rice in our house and I want to know what kind and how much would be the least harmful and most helpful. I over on my carbs a lot from various sources, so I want to manage that. It's not a "trigger", though.
  • auntstephie321
    Options

But the question is does that mean white rice is not a complex carb because it isn't complex enough?

The same response applies to white rice. No where in there did it state that white bread was not a complex carb
  • auntstephie321
    Options

The same response applies to white rice. No where in there did it state that white bread was not a complex carb

The point is that it's either a complex carb or it isn't. Not that one is "more" complex.

The point is to give further clarification to someone as to why some may think it is a simple carb
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options

The point is that it's either a complex carb or it isn't. Not that one is "more" complex.

The point is to give further clarification to someone as to why some may think it is a simple carb

Regurgitated misconceptions.
    Or bread is now in the same reference category as an apple, win win.

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    PB&J sandwiches are pretty hard to make without bread...so I would not be cutting that one out.