OHP in squat rack?

Options

Replies

• WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    In a perfect world, jerk blocks would be available for all overhead work, but most gyms don't have them. (Then the debate would be doing squats off the jerk blocks?)

Yes, heavy overhead work is an acceptable use of a squat rack or a cage. Sometimes you want to focus on your jerk or overhead presses.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    The big problem with doing presses out of any sort of rack is that, eventually, you will be able to press more than you can clean which is obviously weak sauce. Just clean the bar and press it over your head. You're in the gym to do work anyway so just do the work!
    Your workout sucks because you can't dive.

Diving is a far cry from being strong so your analogy was really just an immature hyperbole.

There is a good reason for cleaning the bar. Having a power clean that is equal to your overhead press insures that you have the ability to apply that overhead pressing power in a real life situation. Outside of the gym, you need to get something to your shoulders before you can press it over head. If you can't get a barbell to your shoulders before you press it, how do you expect to do the same with an awkward object like a heavy box, etc.... that is even more difficult to grip and handle than a barbell?

just re quoting this because yea you did say that, and I did not twist anything...

Yea, you actually did. I never said that the only goal of overhead pressing was to get strong so you can lift a heavy box over your head. You are intentionally causing a causation fallacy. I did say that overhead pressing would help a person get stronger so that is probably why OP is doing them and that cleaning your overhead presses would help you develop the ability to get a heavy object to your shoulders so you could utilize your overhead pressing ability and used a heavy box as a real world example.

That is a lot different than saying the only reason to overhead press is to pick heavy boxes up over your head and you are obviously aware of that; however, you decided to paraphrase what I said in such a way as to make the plainly obvious statements that I made inflammatory.

Are there any other bs arguments you'd like to subject us to?

bahahahahahahahha…that is a rare one coming from you …

Keep shoveling what you are pushing brother!

everyone in this thread knows who the BS'er is…

you can try to move the goalposts now, but its too late….
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    spicy618 wrote: »
    When I was lifting, I did my OHP in the squat rack. Yes, there is more than 1 and the smith machine. However, as a new lifter, my personal trainer took me there to teach me the movements and form. Am I supposed to take the olympic bar somewhere else to do it? then there will be a bar missing... lol!

Honestly, what is the proper place to do OHP? in the smith machine? I don't want to use a smith machine. I sincerely thought the squat rack is where your supposed to do OHP safely.

The squat rack is the best place to do the overhead press, but it can be done anywhere if you clean the bar from the floor. My gym has one squat rack and one power rack. If they are in use, I will steal a barbell from one of the ten benches, (Usually only 3 or 4 will be in use.) clear a spot on the floor and do my lighter sets that way. Hopefully by the time I get to my heavy sets, one of the two racks will be available. (I prefer the squat rack to the power rack. The top of the power rack is too low to do them from inside the rack, so I have to move the pins outside the rack.)
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Overhead presses are fine in the squat rack. Just don't hog the rack for too long. What gets me upset is at my gym, most people will use the squat or power rack for their deadlifts.

I really get irate when I see people doing barbell curls, rows, or shrugs in the squat rack.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    dave4d wrote: »
    Overhead presses are fine in the squat rack. Just don't hog the rack for too long. What gets me upset is at my gym, most people will use the squat or power rack for their deadlifts.

I really get irate when I see people doing barbell curls, rows, or shrugs in the squat rack.

I occasionally do curls in the squat rack but I make sure that both are empty and there is barely anyone in the place…and if someone wanted to area I would totally get the hell out …

just saying...
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    The big problem with doing presses out of any sort of rack is that, eventually, you will be able to press more than you can clean which is obviously weak sauce. Just clean the bar and press it over your head. You're in the gym to do work anyway so just do the work!

Diving is a far cry from being strong so your analogy was really just an immature hyperbole.

There is a good reason for cleaning the bar. Having a power clean that is equal to your overhead press insures that you have the ability to apply that overhead pressing power in a real life situation. Outside of the gym, you need to get something to your shoulders before you can press it over head. If you can't get a barbell to your shoulders before you press it, how do you expect to do the same with an awkward object like a heavy box, etc.... that is even more difficult to grip and handle than a barbell?

just re quoting this because yea you did say that, and I did not twist anything...

Yea, you actually did. I never said that the only goal of overhead pressing was to get strong so you can lift a heavy box over your head. You are intentionally causing a causation fallacy. I did say that overhead pressing would help a person get stronger so that is probably why OP is doing them and that cleaning your overhead presses would help you develop the ability to get a heavy object to your shoulders so you could utilize your overhead pressing ability and used a heavy box as a real world example.

That is a lot different than saying the only reason to overhead press is to pick heavy boxes up over your head and you are obviously aware of that; however, you decided to paraphrase what I said in such a way as to make the plainly obvious statements that I made inflammatory.

I like your tactics; attack the person instead of their argument, that's how OJ got off.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Have we all agreed in the One True Way™ to OHP yet? No?

*sigh*

Guess I'll check back later then. I still think we can get there. I mean, we're all here for the same reason, right?
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

*sigh*

Guess I'll check back later then. I still think we can get there. I mean, we're all here for the same reason, right?

To lose weight, gain strength and support ourselves on our journeys?
  • ndj1979
    Options

I like your tactics; attack the person instead of their argument, that's how OJ got off.

If the glove don't fit you gots to acquit!!!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Can I do overhead presses just cause I want to look better? I pay people to lift boxes for me.

What about cars? Do you also pay people to get under your car?
    Is the car on a platform?

of course it is. i need it to count, don't I?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    sjohnny wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Can I do overhead presses just cause I want to look better? I pay people to lift boxes for me.

What about cars? Do you also pay people to get under your car?
    Is the car on a platform?

of course it is. i need it to count, don't I?

bro, OHP is useless unless you are going to be cleaning and pressing heavy boxes…didn't you get the memo…?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I didn't read ALL of this thread..what's the consensus? Am I banned if I OHP in the squat rack? (Cause I do).
  • ndj1979
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I didn't read ALL of this thread..what's the consensus? Am I banned if I OHP in the squat rack? (Cause I do).

you can only do OHP in the squat rack if you clean and press it AND you lift heavy boxes over your head in real life. Other that that, just stop ….
  • arditarose
    Options

you can only do OHP in the squat rack if you clean and press it AND you lift heavy boxes over your head in real life. Other that that, just stop ….

Got it.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Got it.

so you are quitting?
  • arditarose
    Options

Got it.

so you are quitting?

No. But I only do it when no one is there. Not like the guys today who lined up three racks in a row to push out their 75 pound reps while I sat and waited to squat.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Got it.

so you are quitting?

No. But I only do it when no one is there. Not like the guys today who lined up three racks in a row to push out their 75 pound reps while I sat and waited to squat.

wait, you lift heavy boxes?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

*sigh*

Yes, that's why the domain is http://mystrongaspossibleatallcostspal.com.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    Thank you :)

Except don't just go out there and do it. It's highly technical.

That one needs training. I'm working 2x a week right now with a coach for a month now, and still *kitten* and elbows with it.

No real threat of that yet. I'm barely comfortable with my squats.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    OHP? Go for it.

What's been ticking me off lately are the people who will do their DLs in the rack--not using any part of the rack at all.

There are extra bars for a reason. Use them. Elsewhere.

I DL in the power rack all the time, not because I'm obnoxious, but because with the way the weight room is set up, there is nowhere else to deadlift. I imagine that's why everyone DL's there (well, the handful of people I've ever seen deadlift). Hardly anyone seems to squat either (while I'm there, at least), but that's beside the point. It likely explains why they have three flat benches, an incline, and a decline, but only one power rack and a Smith machine.

The moral of my story is that it's silly to assume a One Rule Fits All approach to gym etiquette, as not all gyms are the same (nor are all gym goers).

Seconded. Closest gym to me besides this one, which probably has a plethora of free weights, is over an hour away. So yeah, if I don't see anyone clamoring for the squat rack (cursory glance) I'll do DLs there. I'm more that willing to let people work in, though. Squat racks for all! Sharing is caring!

....Unless it's herpes.