• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    brower47 wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    Pro? I am flattered, but not quite . Just an amateur who loves triathlon and bike racing :)
    meh.
    I don't believe you need to be paid- or sponsered to be a pro.

If you invest your life into it- and spend all your time and energy and resources (or most of it) then I think that makes you a pro. I know dancers who dedicate their lives to working on a whole nother level- and don't get paid.

getting paid/sponsored =/= pro.

Isn't that exactly what professional means? You can be an amateur and still be an expert. US Olympic athletes were just this for decades until recently. They would dedicate their lives to their sport but they were not pros. Amateur is not a pejorative.

I don't think so. I know plenty of pro's who shouldn't be... but coming from a very subjective 'sport' or field (as a dancer) professional doesn't mean you're getting paid- plenty of people get paid to do things aren't professionals.

One of the girls I study with- she's the assistant director/manager- she doesn't' get paid- she teachers- but only because she has a wealth of information- but she doesn't' go to paid gigs- and she isn't teaching regularly.

She's still a professional in EVER sense of the word. So yeah- if you're getting paid you're "a professional" but to me even if you aren't top tier- or even not getting paid but it's your life's calling- that's a prof.

Perhaps given that I'm looking from a subject field verses a completely objective one it's a little different- so I would say I have a slightly different colored glass lens through which I few things- our market is flooded with "pro's" who shouldn't be.

Okay. The definition of professional that I've always understood differs from your personal definition of professional.

• CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. You want to burn 1000 calories in exercise, above and beyond your regular daily burn? That's impossible for me, with a 45 minute pretty intense workout I'm lucky if I burn 350 calories.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    Pro? I am flattered, but not quite . Just an amateur who loves triathlon and bike racing :)
    meh.
    I don't believe you need to be paid- or sponsered to be a pro.

If you invest your life into it- and spend all your time and energy and resources (or most of it) then I think that makes you a pro. I know dancers who dedicate their lives to working on a whole nother level- and don't get paid.

getting paid/sponsored =/= pro.

Isn't that exactly what professional means? You can be an amateur and still be an expert. US Olympic athletes were just this for decades until recently. They would dedicate their lives to their sport but they were not pros. Amateur is not a pejorative.

I don't think so. I know plenty of pro's who shouldn't be... but coming from a very subjective 'sport' or field (as a dancer) professional doesn't mean you're getting paid- plenty of people get paid to do things aren't professionals.

One of the girls I study with- she's the assistant director/manager- she doesn't' get paid- she teachers- but only because she has a wealth of information- but she doesn't' go to paid gigs- and she isn't teaching regularly.

She's still a professional in EVER sense of the word. So yeah- if you're getting paid you're "a professional" but to me even if you aren't top tier- or even not getting paid but it's your life's calling- that's a prof.

Perhaps given that I'm looking from a subject field verses a completely objective one it's a little different- so I would say I have a slightly different colored glass lens through which I few things- our market is flooded with "pro's" who shouldn't be.

Triathlon isn't really a subjective sport. There are very specific requirements for becoming a "professional" triathlete.

(all due respect to Glevinso, I really have no idea where he may fall within the rankings, just discussing the topic, not his performance).

I would agree- I thought I made it pretty clear I understood what I did was subjective vs a sport where there is a clear win/lose situation. but- pherahps I didn't. reading backno- I deleted it- I had it in there- and then erased it.

No I would agree- but I still find that I have no issue mentally putting someone who takes it that seriously as a pro- even you aren't getting paid - and you're putting that time and effort in- and for an objective sport- if you're running competitive times- but aren't competing with pros- I'd still label it pro- but I do understand the nuance of not doing so.

I guess to me- pro encompasses so much more- as a performer- it's professionalism in your manner- your gear- your timelness- how you treat clients- it's so much more than the dollar bills. You're representing your sport. A pro will do so with the utmost respect- even in competition. it's not JUST a dollar bill.

But yes- I understand- like fighting- or like stage shows for BB- there are actual requirements. I get it- (again- not trying to really be a noodge- but it is an interesting discussion)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    I guess the most important thing I need to know is....
    when my fitbit syncs with mfp and it gives me my calories burned, these numbers are completely incorrect?
    Which leads me to my next question of.... why did I bother getting a fitbit and syncing it to mfp when I can't go by the numbers it's giving me??

Sorry, I'm seriously about to lose the plot :disappointed:

I've looked at fitbit, and I think ... why bother.

I just use the rough estimate that when I walk, I burn approx. 200 calories per hour. Maybe a touch more if my walk includes some good climbs.

So for this challenge ... it would take me 5 hours a day to reach 1000 calories by walking.

• Machka9
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Ok, so just to get this straight - the challenge is to eat 1000 calories more daily than maintenance for a whole week?

Was that it?

Right this minute, I could get into that challenge!! :grin:

• Machka9
    Options
    Here's the thing ... IF the OP thinks she is burning 1000 calories per hour (not likely, but let's go with that for a moment), then really, the challenge she is proposing is to exercise for 1 hour per day.

We already have challenges similar to that here. The 24-hours of exercise in the month of April is one of them ... several of us do well over 24 hours already. Easily 30 hours (1 hour/day).
  • ChiliBeans
    ChiliBeans Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ChiliBeans wrote: »
    Just forget it. Sorry I even posted the challenge. I don't need all the math. I've been losing just fine doing it simply so you guys have fun debating your math and whether or not this is possible, because I've done it. Laters.
    This is all that matters. You are losing weight! Who cares what everyone is saying. I burn 400 calories by doing intervals on the treadmill for 40 minutes. But my boyfriend burns 500 in 30 so I believe you can get to 1000.
    I lost for today with 1000. I was too tired to go to both Zumba classes l, but will still go for a run and there is always tomorrow ! Good luck to you!

who cares?

OP will care when she keeps logging over 1000 calorie burns that probably are inaccurate and then wonders why she isn't losing weight when she's over eating b/c she thinks she's burning way more than she is- and then comes on here and goes "why am I not losing weight?"

that's why "who cares"
    So far it has been working for her and she has been losing weight. The point of this whole thread was to do a challenge. Instead it has a bunch of people ragging on the way she adds her exercise. If it works for her then who cares is all I'm saying. And clearly from her post it is working for her.
  • energy820
    energy820 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    I guess the most important thing I need to know is....
    when my fitbit syncs with mfp and it gives me my calories burned, these numbers are completely incorrect?
    Which leads me to my next question of.... why did I bother getting a fitbit and syncing it to mfp when I can't go by the numbers it's giving me??

Sorry, I'm seriously about to lose the plot :disappointed:

The numbers are probably right on the money within 5%.

Those are NOT calories burned from just exercise though.

Look at yesterday's total daily burn on Fitbit. What was it?
    Look at MFP's Goals tab - Calorie burn from daily activity. What is it?
    And this figure is based on your selection of activity level - Sedentary.

Fitbit - MFP = calorie adjustment.

End of story.

The Fitbit side floats around, the MFP side is static until weight drops, therefore BMR drops, therefore estimated daily calories burned drops.
    But Fitbit would see this same effect as weight drops, because you'll burn less moving around.

What was said was if you increased your activity level to probably a more honest lightly active - MFP would estimate you'd burn more without exercise.

So Fitbit - MFP that is 150 higher = lower calorie adjustment.

Read through this, 2nd section, it'll help understand the math.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy

heybales thanks so much for trying to explain. But I just don't understand any of this.
    I think the best bet for me is to NOT eat any of my "exercise" calories, whatever the F they may be, back.
    I'm sitting here in tears right now. I'm just going to keep on doing my 20,000 + steps (10 miles) everyday, and just hope that spending the majority of my waking hours walking is doing something, and what will be will be...

• Machka9
    Options
    heybales thanks so much for trying to explain. But I just don't understand any of this.
    I think the best bet for me is to NOT eat any of my "exercise" calories, whatever the F they may be, back.
    I'm sitting here in tears right now. I'm just going to keep on doing my 20,000 + steps (10 miles) everyday, and just hope that spending the majority of my waking hours walking is doing something, and what will be will be...

If you are indeed walking 10 miles/16 km a day ... first of all, that's a lot of walking! Roughly 4 hours ... maybe 3 if you keep up a really brisk pace.

And at approx. 200 calories per hour for a moderate walking pace, you're probably looking at something in the neighbourhood of 700 calories.

So if you're just using MFP, and you've got yourself at sedentary, when you manually enter your walking, MFP will add approx. 700 calories per day to your max calories.

Because this is just an estimate ... and because it is very hard for any of us to tell what we burn with 100% accuracy ... and because we all overestimate our calories burned ... and especially because MFP overestimates calories burned ...

Therefore, personally, I eat all my MFP max calories (1250), and about half of what I burn through exercise.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    10 miles is the goal I strive for everyday. I'm walking right now and trying to read and type this!
    It's just everything I've been reading on here lately pretty much says don't bother counting walking calories. Then others say definitely add your walking calories!
    And then there's the numbers, and the percentages and the miles per hours mixed with the length of stride and on and on it goes! It doesn't help that I do not have a head for numbers..
    So I think I'll stick with what I said above and just eat my normal calories and completely ignore the adjustments.
    Thankyou all for your help, I truly appreciate the time you've taken :heart: :heart:
    I've been researching this for days and right now I'm just emotionally and physically drained. And obviously feeling sorry for myself to boot
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Here's the thing ... IF the OP thinks she is burning 1000 calories per hour (not likely, but let's go with that for a moment), then really, the challenge she is proposing is to exercise for 1 hour per day.

No. The OP said "day", not "hour".

Some time ago I was in a challenge where I burned 1,000 calories a day for 7 days and it really helped to boost my weight loss. I'm starting the same challenge again tomorrow, if anyone would like to join me.:) All you have to do is burn 1,000 calories a day for 7 days and I will be posting in this forum every day to see how everyone is doing. I can't wait to start this challenge, and if you would like to join me just comment with, "I'm in!" Thanks everyone! Hope to see you there!

Yes, we all assume she meant burn 1000 calories per day through exercise.

No, it is not that hard to do provided you have time to put the hours in to accomplish it (going to take 90 minutes to 2+ hours on the bike for me each day depending on how hard I pedal, but that's my normal routine this time of year building for the biking season).

And yes, one can recover from the "day's effort" to do it again the next day. To meet the challenge, I'll just have to lower the effort and lengthen the duration.
  • Machka9
    Options
    10 miles is the goal I strive for everyday. I'm walking right now and trying to read and type this!
    It's just everything I've been reading on here lately pretty much says don't bother counting walking calories. Then others say definitely add your walking calories!

I definitely count walking calories ... on "walks". I don't count steps I might take around the house or office, those are included in my sedentary setting.

But for example, yesterday and today I walked from my university to my job office in the afternoon ... 3 km at a fairly brisk pace. And I definitely counted it. It's not a whole lot of calories, but enough so that I could have a low-cal yogurt in the evening after dinner. :)

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    @Mr_Knight Actually, I can burn 1000 calories easy in one workout. It only takes about an hour of running and walking intervals. I'll be posting here every day to check in. I also log my calorie burns with an HRM.

It is dang near impossible for the average person to burn 1000 through exercise in one day.

That's a bit of stretch. I wouldn't say it's "dang near impossible". Just not as easy as some people like to believe.

Yep. Even for the shorter, lighter folk like me, something around a half-marathon distance run will do it. If you're heavier, you don't need as much distance, but it's not all that much less.

It's just that there are very few people pulling that off in an hour. In a day, sure. There's a decent number of people on this site who run halfs and above. But seven days a week? You're in rarefied air again with that crowd.

I'm no stranger to pushing myself to the limits of my physical and mental ability when it comes to exercise. I used to ride a single speed mountain bike in one of the hilliest areas in Central Ontario. When riding a single speed, you literally have to sprint up every hill, or you're going to stall and have to walk the rest of the way.

I would ride for 2-4 hours each time I went out and not once I was able to burn 1000 calories in an hour.

If I couldn't burn that many calories, turning myself inside out while on my rides, pushing my HR to 90+% of my max regularly, I can't believe that anyone else can.

Someone may have answered this already, but if I could run a half with an average split pace of 5 min miles, I'd burn right at 1000 cals. It's been done, but not by many.

The world record marathon pace was faster by just 15 secs per mile to give people an idea. Of course, this is half the distance so I'd expect there to be more than a handful of people who can manage it. Maybe three handfuls :wink:
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    I get your point, but comparing women of today to women in an era of post-war food rationing is a straw man argument.

Okay, women and men of the 1900's, 1910's, 1920's, 1930's, (we'll skip the 40's if that was strawman), 1950's, 1960's, 1970's. You know, back before Americans would drive their car from their house to the mailbox at the end of the driveway or down the street to get their mail. Yup, I see that every day in my neighborhood! Back when people would clean their own houses, do their own work in the yard, wash their own car, paint their own houses, walk for transportation. You know, put a little elbow grease into life where the idea of having to "burn 1000 calories" via exercise to fight off what a sedentary lifestyle combined with excess has done requires us to "set aside the time".

So the point being, it is funny to read the responses of people's jaws dropping thinking that burning 1000 calories through exercise is an impossible task for 7 straight days in our modern day lifestyle filled with the comforts of leisure.

• stealthq
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I get your point, but comparing women of today to women in an era of post-war food rationing is a straw man argument.

Okay, women and men of the 1900's, 1910's, 1920's, 1930's, (we'll skip the 40's if that was strawman), 1950's, 1960's, 1970's. You know, back before Americans would drive their car from their house to the mailbox at the end of the driveway or down the street to get their mail. Yup, I see that every day in my neighborhood! Back when people would clean their own houses, do their own work in the yard, wash their own car, paint their own houses, walk for transportation. You know, put a little elbow grease into life where the idea of having to "burn 1000 calories" via exercise to fight off what a sedentary lifestyle combined with excess has done requires us to "set aside the time".

So the point being, it is funny to read the responses of people's jaws dropping thinking that burning 1000 calories through exercise is an impossible task for 7 straight days in our modern day lifestyle filled with the comforts of leisure.

I think where many of us object is that you are talking about a more active lifestyle - stuff you do as a matter of course - while we consider exercise to be something you do deliberately outside of your normal life.

My grandma using a washing board back when she didn't have a washing machine would not be exercise, for example. She would have been considered lightly active to my (and my grandfather's) sedentary lifestyle.

No one is surprised that an active lifestyle can burn 1000 cals more over the course of a day than a sedentary lifestyle.
  • stealthq
    Options

Some time ago I was in a challenge where I burned 1,000 calories a day for 7 days and it really helped to boost my weight loss. I'm starting the same challenge again tomorrow, if anyone would like to join me.:) All you have to do is burn 1,000 calories a day for 7 days and I will be posting in this forum every day to see how everyone is doing. I can't wait to start this challenge, and if you would like to join me just comment with, "I'm in!" Thanks everyone! Hope to see you there!

No, it is not that hard to do provided you have time to put the hours in to accomplish it (going to take 90 minutes to 2+ hours on the bike for me each day depending on how hard I pedal, but that's my normal routine this time of year building for the biking season).

And yes, one can recover from the "day's effort" to do it again the next day. To meet the challenge, I'll just have to lower the effort and lengthen the duration.

It's not the first post that is the problem. It's the later one where she details how she burns all of it in an hour.
  • Machka9
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

It's not the first post that is the problem. It's the later one where she details how she burns all of it in an hour.

Right ... 1000 calories a day, as mentioned in the first post, is no problem. I'm sure we all burn that in a day's worth of exercise now and then. And there have been many times when I've burned 1000 calories a day over a 7-day or longer period.

It was this post where the problems started ... where it was suddenly 1000 calories per hour.
    @Mr_Knight Actually, I can burn 1000 calories easy in one workout. It only takes about an hour of running and walking intervals. I'll be posting here every day to check in. I also log my calorie burns with an HRM.

• SingingSingleTracker
    edited April 2015
    Options

Right ... 1000 calories a day, as mentioned in the first post, is no problem. I'm sure we all burn that in a day's worth of exercise now and then. And there have been many times when I've burned 1000 calories a day over a 7-day or longer period.

It was this post where the problems started ... where it was suddenly 1000 calories per hour.

Ah, got it. Missed that post of the OP's.

Again, 1000 in an hour is doable. It's not repeatable for 7 days in a row without severe training stress and no recovery would take a huge toll on one.

I do about 2 of those a week. But with recovery days between.

Here's one of my typical hour out and back Zone 4 interval sessions...

17117134166_c065476111_z.jpg1000Calories

I could probably muster 3, maybe 4 of those within a 7 day period at this point in my training. I've never tried 7 in a row, but wouldn't want to for many obvious reasons. So, if the OP's challenge didn't have the hour time cap - piece of cake. I'm probably still "in" to knock out long rides this week (was due anyway with my base building), but apologize for not seeing the OP's hour comment. My bad...

• Machka9
    Options

Ah, got it. Missed that post of the OP's.

Again, 1000 in an hour is doable. It's not repeatable for 7 days in a row without severe training stress and no recovery would take a huge toll on one.

I do about 2 of those a week. But with recovery days between.

Here's one of my typical hour out and back Zone 4 interval sessions...

17117134166_c065476111_z.jpg1000Calories

I could probably muster 3, maybe 4 of those within a 7 day period at this point in my training. I've never tried 7 in a row, but wouldn't want to for many obvious reasons. So, if the OP's challenge didn't have the hour time cap - piece of cake. I'm probably still "in" to knock out long rides this week (was due anyway with my base building), but apologize for not seeing the OP's hour comment. My bad...

:)

I'm a randonneur ... as a cyclist, you might be familiar with that term, or the term audax? When I've been in the depths of training for some of the longer randonneuring/audax events, I've burned 7000 calories in a week. I've probably done that in one event.

But I haven't done the really long events in a few years, and I'm just building up to that again. 1000 calories a day would require me to cycle about 2.5 hours every day. Easy on the weekends ... not so easy during the week what with the rest of life getting in the way, and darkness falling at about 6 pm now, and winter setting in.

That said, I did an 80 km ride on Saturday and burned close to 2000 calories and I'm hoping to do that or more again this coming Saturday. Plus quite a bit of walking and maybe a short ride or two if I can squeeze them in, and I might come close over an 8-day period. :)