So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    BL_Coleman wrote: »
    I have a question about shoes. I generally cannot go to a runners store. I wear a 7.5/8 womens wide and they NEVER have them. How would you recommend I go about trying to get a decent pair.

Runner's world shoe finder...and then order from some place that has a good return policy, because running shoes are an experiment of one.

A good running store, however, will be able to order shoes in your size if they don't have them on site. when looking to switch shoes (or just see if I need to), it isn't uncommon for me to spend hours at the running store, trying on different things. I've returned shoes after 100 miles, totally trashed, because they didn't really work, and the store took them back without blinking (ok, maybe there was some laughter about what I did to the shoes in two weeks).

But if you can't make it to a store, just be prepared to go through many shoes before you find what you like. Don't accept shoes that don't feel right.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    BL_Coleman wrote: »
    I have a question about shoes. I generally cannot go to a runners store. I wear a 7.5/8 womens wide and they NEVER have them. How would you recommend I go about trying to get a decent pair.

I understand the limitation on Stores. My closest speciality Running store is a little over a 2 hr drive away, so I make a full day of it with other events.
    As always great advice from shanabar, earthartjewelry, katz1350 and ThickMcRun.
    because running shoes are an experiment of one.
    But if you can't make it to a store, just be prepared to go through many shoes before you find what you like. Don't accept shoes that don't feel right.

The last time I went to the Running Specialty sports store they did a new bare foot gait analysis on the treadmill ( do the analysis every time - as your technique improves your running form can change ) and then I tried on at least 8 pairs of shoes across different brands - walking around the store eliminated some due to Heel Lift or Toe Crowding, then they let me run on the treadmill with the shoes I was trying on. 6 Losers 2 Winners. Mizuno Wave Inspire 11 and Saucony Guide 7. A wise person once said " The Shoes Choose You" and when you find the ones that work you will understand those 4 simple words.
    So when you make it to a speciality store be ready to run so dress appropriately.
    Don't forget to ask for some wicking socks. Dry Feet = Happy Feet.
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    Just to add if you do decide to buy multiple pairs(I understand its quite an investment to have more than one pair) then get the same ones but in a different colour or change the laces as it just makes life so much easier to stop you mixing them up

This search string/link will bring up various discussions about running shoes.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?Page=p2&adv=1&search=running+shoes&title=&author=&cat=7&tags=&discussion_d=1&comment_c=1&group_group=1&within=1+day&date=[/quote]
  • jonnie256
    jonnie256 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    How do yall guys run far distances and not chaff? I usually run 3-7 mike routes but I feel I would run much farther if I didn't start chaffing. I will chaff so bad and I will have to quit and will have to wait a couple days for the soreness to go away before I can run again. I had bought some sports underwear but it only helps a little bit...
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It usually stops doing that after a while. But if it doesn't, and in the meantime anyway, get a pair of spandex shorts to wear under your running shorts. That completely stops chafing.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    jonnie256 wrote: »
    How do yall guys run far distances and not chaff? I usually run 3-7 mike routes but I feel I would run much farther if I didn't start chaffing. I will chaff so bad and I will have to quit and will have to wait a couple days for the soreness to go away before I can run again. I had bought some sports underwear but it only helps a little bit...

Depending on where you chafe, you can wear Vaseline or Body Glide in problem areas. If you wear running shorts, try compression shorts under them. I wear running tights because I couldn't find any shorts that worked for me. Make sure all clothing you wear is of wicking material.
  • Thisdivaruns
    Thisdivaruns Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Body Glide! The reason my 8 mile run was cut to a six miler yesterday!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I wear running tights in winter or Inov-8 trail shorts with a built in lycra boxer the rest of the time.

Vaseline on my chest under the HRM for more than 10 miles, and a bit of vaseline on the nipples as well for that kind of distance.
  • shawn35
    shawn35 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dope article! I just recently discovered body glide from a coworker and before that always used band aids on my nipples.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    shawn35 wrote: »
    Dope article! I just recently discovered body glide from a coworker and before that always used band aids on my nipples.
    OUCH!!!!!!!

• Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    So I am grossly out of shape. Used to be fit about 10 years ago and ran regularly, averaging 5-10 miles a day. No method, just added a little each day til i got to 10 miles then ran what i felt like to stay in shape. Lost about 70 pounds that way. Plus south beach diet lol. Once i left grad school and started working i gradually got lazier and less disciplined and gained it back. So I've been signing up for things to motivate be to get back into the same lifestyle. (Trainers, new gym, nutritionists, etc) signed up for disney half marathon in November with some friends so I'd have a goal to train for. Right now I'm doing couch to 5 k. Having trouble on week 4. Signed up for 5 k in may and june and 10k in august. Do i seem to be pacing myself about right? I'm 35 and it seems a lot harder than when i was 25 lol but lost 8 pounds in 4 weeks so guess it's the right direction. Lost alot faster when i was ik my 20s lol this sucks!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    scottb81 wrote: »
    It usually stops doing that after a while. But if it doesn't, and in the meantime anyway, get a pair of spandex shorts to wear under your running shorts. That completely stops chafing.

This. I wear compression shorts every time because I occasionally forgot the Body Glide. I can't do more than 4 miles without them unless I want missing skin on my inner thigh.
  • smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    kammyrios wrote: »
    Thank you! Tomorrow is Week 2 Day 2 of c25k for me. I have committed to run a 5K in June. I am 47 years old, 5' 2", and 230 pounds. I have never run in my life. This is very helpful to me!

• smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Today I am going to tackle week 7d2 of c25k. I am signed up for my 1st 5k in june I am nowhere near running 3.1 miles yet but I can run for 25 mins without stopping. So I am just going to keep adding minutes and I hope at some point (before June preferably) to increase my distance/speed.
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    So weird question. I've been running since Sept of last year. When I started I was 50lbs heavier and I didn't pay attention to anything but not dying. Lol, anyway I ran a lot outdoors in the winter except when it was under 10* then I ran in the gym. Outside my nose always ran, I just dealt with it because I thought it was because it was so cold. However now I'm running a ton more outside and it's 60* and my nose is still running. Now that I'm aware I've realized it does it at the gym as well just not as much. Is this normal, something a lot of runners deal with or am I just special?
  • SarahCashin
    Options
    I've only started running the past month and can not recommend it enough! I walk for 5 mins then run 5, slowly decrease walking time increasing running. I do this for 45 minutes on the threadmill
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I have also juststarted running this month. every day. I walk / run 7.5 mins per km for 50 mins. I only run on the flat streets and walk up the hills. Although I am getting a little faster each day and feeling fitter my knees are starting to hurt when I sit and stand. Should I rest for a while or keep going? I don't want to lose the little achievements I have made, but don't want knee problems either. Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.
  • lisiloulah
    lisiloulah Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bump - some very useful information - thanks!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    dyemysoul wrote: »
    So weird question. I've been running since Sept of last year. When I started I was 50lbs heavier and I didn't pay attention to anything but not dying. Lol, anyway I ran a lot outdoors in the winter except when it was under 10* then I ran in the gym. Outside my nose always ran, I just dealt with it because I thought it was because it was so cold. However now I'm running a ton more outside and it's 60* and my nose is still running. Now that I'm aware I've realized it does it at the gym as well just not as much. Is this normal, something a lot of runners deal with or am I just special?

It's probably normal. Running is a pretty gross activity really. There are lots of fluids and gas and stuff.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    dyemysoul wrote: »
    There is no better way to clear your sinuses at the begining of the day than an hour run before work.

• blantonjm197
    blantonjm197 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am currently going through C25K and in week 2. It's been challenging to start back up after taking a couple years off and also about 60 lbs heavier. I got derailed when in April of 2012 i developed turf toe after completing a 21 mile run just weeks before i was supposed to run a marathon in Cleveland, Oh. Needless to say, I missed the marathon and it took 12 weeks for it to heal. I have to keep reminding myself that it will gradually get easier to run and now is not the time to be pushing myself to hard. I didn't get overweight or out of shape over night and I can't expect to return to fit overnight either. Thanks for the valuable information. I'd like to run a 5k in June or July this year. I should be up to running a full 5k by the end of May.