1,000 Calorie Challenge!

Options

Replies

• quintoespada
    quintoespada Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    a 250 pound male can lose weight just by eating at deficit for a few days. i know because i weighed 250 pounds and lost 75 lbs. that goes without saying, though - everyone loses weight differently. it really became prevalent to me after i started adding an exercise schedule that i slowly increased over time. it was 30 minutes from treadmill to stairstepper to stationary bike, then 45 minutes, and then i added lifting on top of all that cardio. i didn't need to exercise much to lose weight so long as i ate healthy. then i started p90x and i lost even more. again, it depends on the person.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I wouldnt disagree with what glevinso wrote above which is a good summary. No idea why some of you got so excited.

BECAUSE THIS IS THE INTERNET AND WE HAVE TO ARGUE DAMMIT!!!! :)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    a 250 pound male can lose weight just by eating at deficit for a few days. i know because i weighed 250 pounds and lost 75 lbs. that goes without saying, though - everyone loses weight differently. it really became prevalent to me after i started adding an exercise schedule that i slowly increased over time. it was 30 minutes from treadmill to stairstepper to stationary bike, then 45 minutes, and then i added lifting on top of all that cardio. i didn't need to exercise much to lose weight so long as i ate healthy. then i started p90x and i lost even more. again, it depends on the person.

Did you wander into the wrong thread as this seems totally off topic.
  • Andytri38
    Andytri38 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Go for it, you are your own limitation, and are solely responsible for what you can and want to achieve. Good luck!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

err yeah quinto, vey interesting point....

Id better go and burn some calories.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

I think one person said that it was impossible in a day and everyone else disagreed, Then it moved on when the op claimed to do it easily in an hour.

do keep up :wink:

I was merely responding to what jorocka was saying. the tenet of the tread at that point was about calroie burns and overstimation. Ofc the thread splintered off into different areas. Your response was inadequate do pay attention.

I wouldnt disagree with what glevinso wrote above which is a good summary. No idea why some of you got so excited.

and I made it pretty clear earlier- the easy of which one can burn a 1000 calories is directly proportional to the length of time in which the attempt to do so.

since we are trying to cherry pick this subject.

That's the long and short of it.

The second long and short of it is- anyone who CAN/DOES burn those kind of calories in a much shorter time frame isn't trying to do so- they are just doing what they love (long distance endurance athletes for example)... none of them are concerned with burning those kind of calories.

The people concerned with burning those kind of calories in a shorter time frame- are not the people prepared to do so.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I just had a 1,003 calorie breakfast. Do I win?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    The people concerned with burning those kind of calories in a shorter time frame- are not the people prepared to do so.

That's actually a really really good way of putting it.

:drinker:

• glevinso
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

That's actually a really really good way of putting it.

:drinker:

Agreed
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    But if that's accurate then a HRM is the most accurate way to measure burned calories correct?

NO.

Care to elaborate?

Its something that measures your heart rate, pace, distance, time, if you put in all the right information to me that would seem to be the best judge of calorie burn.
  • Brooke4206
    Brooke4206 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    What are you doing to burn 1000 calories a day with exercise? I only burn like 900 a week. Count me out.

Keep in mind weight has a lot to do with it. For example, during a Zumba class I only burn 400. My fiance burns almost 800. He weights 190 and I'm 115.

• Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Why are all these people posting who do NOT want to do it? Bye!

I will take the challenge! I burned 1,036 yesterday (actual workout time plus steps throughout the day) and I have a personal goal of burning 100 calories every ten minutes that I work out. That has become more difficult as I have lost weight, but I still strive for it!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    But if that's accurate then a HRM is the most accurate way to measure burned calories correct?

NO.

Care to elaborate?

Its something that measures your heart rate, pace, distance, time, if you put in all the right information to me that would seem to be the best judge of calorie burn.

HRM doesn't measure distance or pace. You need GPS for that. And heart rate doesn't correlate with calorie burn, except under very specific conditions.

There are 8 billion posts on MFP describing this in detail, look 'em up.
  • glevinso
    Options

NO.

Care to elaborate?

It is about as accurate as you will be able to get short of running on a treadmill with a mask over your face to capture O2 and CO2. However it is still not *that* accurate. If you ride, a power meter on the bike is about as accurate as you can get without lab equipment.
  • glevinso
    Options
    Zx14chick wrote: »
    Why are all these people posting who do NOT want to do it? Bye!

I will take the challenge! I burned 1,036 yesterday (actual workout time plus steps throughout the day) and I have a personal goal of burning 100 calories every ten minutes that I work out. That has become more difficult as I have lost weight, but I still strive for it!

You might want to read the thread...
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    How the eff is this still going?
  • glevinso
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

55872186.jpg
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I've been burning 1000 calories most days since I've started losing weight. Yes, it does usually take me about four hours in the gym, but since I've become more fit... that time span is slowly becoming shorter [I'm happy to say!].

I may just try to burn 1000 calories every other day, though. Burn 500 calories the rest of those days. Yesterday, I was shaking at the end of the night. I only had one cup of coffee right before working out,so I don't think that's it because that's my usual routine.

I do look forward to increasing my fitness so that I can burn 1000 calories in a shorter period of time, though!

I think it's a nice little challenge as long as you know your limitations.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I just had a 1,003 calorie breakfast. Do I win?

depends- did it have bacon in it?
  • s2Mango
    s2Mango Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    jkwolly wrote: »

55872186.jpg
    Oh gawd I loved Lamb Chop when I was little.
    /Derail.