• sarahlouisah
    sarahlouisah Posts: 116
    Options
    bump
    i am on week one one hr runner having just finished c 2 5k
  • GoneWithTheWhinge
    GoneWithTheWhinge Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I finished C25k and have just been gradually upping the time - got to 46.5mins running today. Total miracle for a girl who detested running!

Not sure if I should continue to up the time and run longer or try the speed increase technique, I'm a bit of a plodding along runner atm as I run at 7.7kph.

Well done to everyone on your achievements so far.
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I went to the running specialty store and had them check out my feet and do a gain analysis. I ended up with Asics Gels, so I'm really excited to test them out tomorrow for my first day of OHR!

Eeeee I remember getting my first pair of proper trainers I was so excited to show them off and none of my friends could care less haha. But when I tried them out for the first time they were like running on air compared to what I was used to.

I too went to a speciality store and ended up with Mizuno (can't remember which ones) but I love them... well worth the £80 (My old ones cost £5 from Primark haha)

I continue to have problems with my left foot going numb after approximately 13 minutes of running....I think it is time to visit a running store to have a gait analysis done and I also think I need a new pair of shoes. I started doing a lot of reading on running and I think my shoes may be too small.
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    I continue to have problems with my left foot going numb after approximately 13 minutes of running....I think it is time to visit a running store to have a gait analysis done and I also think I need a new pair of shoes. I started doing a lot of reading on running and I think my shoes may be too small.

Definitely go get fitted. I got fitted, went for one run and both feet fell asleep. So I took them back and got fitted again. they actually had to end up doing a different lacing pattern to quit my feet falling asleep. This lacing pattern actually leaves the shoe very roomy on most of my foot and it was unbelievable what a difference it made. I had no idea that "lacing patterns" actually existed!

Jill - definitely take the shoes back if they're uncomfortable. I felt a little weird taking back a pair of shoes I had already run in, but they gladly took them back and the second fitting took ONE HOUR before we found the right shoe/lacing combination. So stick with it until you find the perfect pair!
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    W1D3 - This felt like the slowest run ever, the first 15 minutes was (as always) the toughest but I actually hit halfway only a couple metres away from where I normally would and my 3mile 'finish line' in 30 minutes 45 seconds. Also the incline i hit after about 22 minutes isn't feeling quite so bad anymore!
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options

Definitely go get fitted. I got fitted, went for one run and both feet fell asleep. So I took them back and got fitted again. they actually had to end up doing a different lacing pattern to quit my feet falling asleep. This lacing pattern actually leaves the shoe very roomy on most of my foot and it was unbelievable what a difference it made. I had no idea that "lacing patterns" actually existed!

Jill - definitely take the shoes back if they're uncomfortable. I felt a little weird taking back a pair of shoes I had already run in, but they gladly took them back and the second fitting took ONE HOUR before we found the right shoe/lacing combination. So stick with it until you find the perfect pair!

Thanks! I wanted to run today, but I don't think I'm going to get it in until tomorrow. If they still feel tight I'm going to take them back and get a different pair. I didn't know different lacing patterns existed either, good to know!
  • berriman
    berriman Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm not doing the hour challenge but wanted to wish you all good luck!

I too started running with the C25K app, and as everybody is finding out it was fantastic! I finished it last may and have since run a half marathon, and do my first full marathon next Sunday. A couple of weeks ago I ran 30k which took 3 and half hours! None of that would be possible without the C25K app.

Keep at it folks, and believe me, not matter how impossible it feels at times, you will get there!
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I have officially completed c25k! OHR starts tomorrow!

Great job everyone.

Acid ~ Your time is remarkable.
  • shannonaufman
    shannonaufman Posts: 383
    Options
    Officially a C25K graduate!! One Hour Runner starts later this week!!!
  • jilld76
    Options
    Okay, so I've been pretty behind this week, keeping up with my runs. I've had a lot of family stuff going on and working out and eating well, has not really been a big part of these past few days, but I'm re-focused today.

So, I did W1D2 of OHR -

5 mins @ 3.5
    25 mins @ 4.6
    5 mins @ 4.8

All together I did a total of 47 minutes for a total of 3.38 miles

When I started C25K I didn't know about adding an incline on the TM to simulate outdoor running. By the time I did hear about it, I was just getting to the long runs and there was no way I could add an incline to an already difficult run. So, I decided it was time.

I did a 1% incline for the whole thing today, it was definitely a bit more challenging, I had to take a 1 minute walk/drink break around 23 minutes, and I took another 30 seconds right before I finished the last 5 minutes. But I added that minute and a half onto the end, so I did still run for 30 minutes.

So, I'm shooting for Thursday to finish week 1 and then I'll bump myself up to 4.7 for week 2.

Do you think a 1% incline is enough?

Still unsure on my sneakers, I think I'm going to exchange them on Thursday when I'm in that area, they feel good, but not great :(
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Jill ~ Good job on your running. I think 1% is enough. I'm glad you mentioned this again b/c I need to remember to do t1.he same when I'm on the TM.

W1d1 yesterday ~ It was not a good run. My plan was to focus on distance. I'm running a 5k this sunday, so my goal this week is to be able to run this route before sunday. Not a good idea. I ran the first 19 minutes no problem, but the last 11 were mental challenge. I took a couple of walk breaks during the last 10 minutes. I completed the 5k in 40:27.

Is anyone using Runtastic Pro? I'm thinking of buying it just for the voice commands. I need someone to tell me either time or distance intervals while I'm running. When I was doing c25k I created my own podcast that told me when to walk or run. As annoying as it was, I actually miss the voice promts. I did want to create these anymore because my music library is not that great. With the longers runs I've switched over to Pandora and I really like the variety. Any suggestions?
  • ShawnaMama
    ShawnaMama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love this idea! I'm only on Week 3 of the C25K but I will be joining here when I'm finished :)
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    Hey guys - I know I'm not running "with you" yet, but I read a good thread today and wanted to share:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/242281-20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started
  • jilld76
    Options
    Jill ~ Good job on your running. I think 1% is enough. I'm glad you mentioned this again b/c I need to remember to do t1.he same when I'm on the TM.

W1d1 yesterday ~ It was not a good run. My plan was to focus on distance. I'm running a 5k this sunday, so my goal this week is to be able to run this route before sunday. Not a good idea. I ran the first 19 minutes no problem, but the last 11 were mental challenge. I took a couple of walk breaks during the last 10 minutes. I completed the 5k in 40:27.

Is anyone using Runtastic Pro? I'm thinking of buying it just for the voice commands. I need someone to tell me either time or distance intervals while I'm running. When I was doing c25k I created my own podcast that told me when to walk or run. As annoying as it was, I actually miss the voice promts. I did want to create these anymore because my music library is not that great. With the longers runs I've switched over to Pandora and I really like the variety. Any suggestions?

Have you tried runkeeper? you can set the prompts for whatever interval you want, so mine is set for every 5 minutes, so it comes on and tells me how far I've gone, my overall pace, my current pace, etc... I haven't tried any others, but I really like runkeeper and you can setup your playlist to play through runkeeper so the prompts will just come on over the music.

Good Luck in your first 5k!! You're going to do great! There are 2 races in my area, which I was planning to sign up for, but my daughter hurt her knee, and I don't know if I want to do it without her. I think I should, I know she'll be there to cheer me on, but I think she hurt her knee from the running she did with me because she didn't really train to run a 5k, she just went out and did it. So I'm bummed to not have her with me.
  • funfitfoodie
    Options

Have you tried runkeeper? you can set the prompts for whatever interval you want, so mine is set for every 5 minutes, so it comes on and tells me how far I've gone, my overall pace, my current pace, etc... I haven't tried any others, but I really like runkeeper and you can setup your playlist to play through runkeeper so the prompts will just come on over the music.

Can you set up the prompts even if you have no GPS signal for runkeeper (ie on ipod touch?)
  • ceri1980
    ceri1980 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have started OHR this week, tonight will be my 2nd 30 minute run :)

Monday's run wasnt too bad, still need to find a steady pace though.

I've signed up for the Cardiff Half Marathon in October so i am using this porgramme to help me out......Good luck to everyone else who is trying this!!

Ceri
  • ceri1980
    ceri1980 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have started OHR this week, tonight will be my 2nd 30 minute run :)

Monday's run wasnt too bad, still need to find a steady pace though.

I've signed up for the Cardiff Half Marathon in October so i am using this porgramme to help me out......Good luck to everyone else who is trying this!!

Ceri
  • jilld76
    Options

Can you set up the prompts even if you have no GPS signal for runkeeper (ie on ipod touch?)

unfortunately no, it uses the GPS to guage how fast you're going and the distance you've covered.
  • GoneWithTheWhinge
    GoneWithTheWhinge Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, glad to have found this thread. I've done the C25K and have been gradually upping the runs - did 46mins on Saturday, plodding along at 7.7kph, wasn't sure whether to keep going with increasing the time or to work on speed. Tried upping to 8kph on Tuesday and did the 5k happily at that, doubt I'd get right out to the 45mins at that though!

I never thought I'd run but, heck, I am totally loving it and the way I feel after cracking the run!
  • funfitfoodie
    Options

unfortunately no, it uses the GPS to guage how fast you're going and the distance you've covered.

Oh I did not read this properly, I thought it was just time prompts silly me.