Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    Talkradio wrote: »
    I'm kind of worried that all the talk about posters in other threads will incur the wrath of the gods and will expose our nice thread to condemnation.

I agree. I was worried when I posted it originally. I will shut up now!
  • brisloth
    brisloth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've started eating less than 600 calories a day to speed up my loss. My TDEE is only like 1600 right now, so 1200 is going to get me pretty much nowhere. I'm actually pretty *kitten* proud of myself for how much self restraint I can show.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Lefty1290 wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    81Katz wrote: »
    I also dislike baby showers. Where you all sit there and ohh and ahh over clothes that will just be puked on anyhow. :/
    ps I have no kids, shocker right? :smiley:

Next time try paying more attention to the politics behind it, you'll have more fun. The baby shower isn't about the baby, so much as it's a competition between grandmothers to see who can outdo the other. Bonus if you have a competitive aunt-to-be or two in the mix. Who spent the most, who got the best reaction to their gift, who didn't show/left early/got there late. If the grandma's don't like each other, or one or both doesn't like the other one's kid, you can play passive-aggressive comment bingo. If there are step-grandma's involved, it may be even more entertaining, especially if the step-grandma is the more responsible or involved than the bio grandma.

Ahahahaha. This is great. I will definitely keep this in mind.

I am the competitive aunt. I spend a fortune to retain no. 1 aunt status.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I also dislike baby showers. Where you all sit there and ohh and ahh over clothes that will just be puked on anyhow. :/

Next time try paying more attention to the politics behind it, you'll have more fun. The baby shower isn't about the baby, so much as it's a competition between grandmothers to see who can outdo the other. Bonus if you have a competitive aunt-to-be or two in the mix. Who spent the most, who got the best reaction to their gift, who didn't show/left early/got there late. If the grandma's don't like each other, or one or both doesn't like the other one's kid, you can play passive-aggressive comment bingo. If there are step-grandma's involved, it may be even more entertaining, especially if the step-grandma is the more responsible or involved than the bio grandma.

Oh, yes, you are so right! I AM the step-grandma and I'm by choice the LEAST involved. The other 2 grandmas are in constant competition. I find it highly amusing. At my step-daugther's baby shower for her 2nd baby I gave her three free professional house-cleaning sessions. Needless to say, I WON that shower! I got the best reaction from that gift and I took a smug satisfaction in it. (big confession there because I'm not normally like that; lots of issues and family dynamics involved)

I loved my niece's shower. We had 2 bio grandmas and one step, all of them politely civil to each other, at best. They all tried their damndest, but none of them had a prayer against my other niece, who decided it was her job to be the best aunt in the whole world. It doesn't hurt that she's single and makes good money, so had plenty to drop on baby stuff. It took a full 20 minutes just open her present, which was 3 of the giant, blanket size gift bags filled with what had to be at least $500 worth of assorted baby things. The butt hurt was strong in that room.

This would be me.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I have a (please don't judge me) question about hard boiled eggs.

Do you use a 'hard boiled egg' (say usda or whatever entry) for your hard boiled egg (weighing it of course) or do you just use a raw entry for the eggs you buy? I buy large eggs that say 70 calories per egg, but with the hard boiled listing it's now 78 calories. :blush:

Not to horrify you or anything, but most of my eggs come in at ~95 calories. I weigh them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    bkhamill wrote: »

Oh, yes, you are so right! I AM the step-grandma and I'm by choice the LEAST involved. The other 2 grandmas are in constant competition. I find it highly amusing. At my step-daugther's baby shower for her 2nd baby I gave her three free professional house-cleaning sessions. Needless to say, I WON that shower! I got the best reaction from that gift and I took a smug satisfaction in it. (big confession there because I'm not normally like that; lots of issues and family dynamics involved)

Baby showers for second babies are a huge pet peeve of mine
    I have several friends that have had one, I have never attended a single one

Feel like I have to defend myself here, and I don't even know why. I had a shower for my second, my kids are almost six years apart first one is a boy and the second is a girl. I had given most of our baby stuff away to friends, and I needed supplies. My friends offered and I wasn't going to say no.

In terms of etiquette, the only thing worse than having a shower for a second baby is throwing your own shower or having a relative throw one for you.

Major faux pas.

This must vary depending on where you are from, I have seen all of the above and thought nothing of it.

Yeah, etiquette is completely cultural, so you have to be careful about judging based on perceive lapses when it might just be different standards (even apart from this being the non judgmental thread!).

I had a ridiculous argument once upon a time with someone who grew up in the South who was insisting it was RUDE not to call women older than you "ma'am." My point was that many women of my age (I was around 30 then) and not from the South don't like it or expect it, and part of etiquette is based on local norms and what makes others feel comfortable. The person I was arguing with would not have it -- there were rights and wrongs that were set in stone and this was one of them! (The funny thing is that I've come around to it and don't mind being called "ma'am" and even find it useful to use the term on occasion, but I still know plenty of women of my age (45) and younger here who hate and despise it.)

Similarly, in my cultural background people don't give money as gifts--it's considered crass or something (also don't talk about money, etc.). But in plenty of cultures, including many ethnicities common where I live, it's actually common or expected to give money for wedding gifts and such.

I admit I'd never heard of a gender reveal party, though. I'm probably old enough that when my friends were having babies it wasn't yet a thing or else it's just not a common thing here.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Kalici wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Ok so I went to the sugar thread after getting caught up on this. Sooo not judging but... Does anyone notice that it's like the same 3 or 4 people who blow up these threads? And get all nasty and judgmental? They seem to follow each other around.

I hope they never find their way to this thread.

I didn't read that thread, but I often see a group going thread to thread with their snarky 'expert' replies. There is one dude who is a total tool.

Yep he is the worst. I am pretty sure I know who you mean. I am surprised they let him continue.

I got super excited when I read this since I actually think I know who y'all are talking about too! I know that's an odd thing to be excited about but I feel "in the loop" :)

I think I know who you're all talking about. I have to confess I get awfully judgmental about them in other threads!

I don't know why you all gotta hate on @tincanonastring like that.

(I am, of course, absolutely kidding. Hoping the alert gets him to come back - we miss you Mr. Onastring!)

Wow, I confess that I'm a retard. I've always been reading it like Tin Canon A String, not Tin Can On a String.

What an Idiot. I'm gonna go put my head in a hole now.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

Lol!

I never had a baby shower. I guess to be fair, we adopted our twins, and we had no match or anything and pretty much got a call saying 'congratulations, you have twins'. So my husband's coworkers gave us $100 and my brother in law gave us a couple clothes. I had no friends to throw a shower anyway, but still, I did feel a bit cheated from the experience (don't get me wrong, I actually don't really like the idea of baby showers and the silly games but it's the principle of the thing).

And while we were waiting for a match and I was starting to buy things when I found a good deal, the only comment we got was 'are you not getting ahead of yourselves?'. I mean yeah, we waited 2 years, but it was nice to have the stuff ready (even though it turned out it would have been easier to wait as I had a useless single stroller and had to buy another crib anyway). But the whole 'welcoming the baby' thing was pretty much robbed from us.

Cliff notes - I might be jealous of women who get a baby shower.

This is how I feel about not having had a wedding. I didn't have a beautiful wedding dress, no flower girl, ring bearer, bridesmaids, no groom in a tux, and saddest of all...NO CAKE!!! My husband was going to try and put together a renewal ceremony for our 15th (June 30th of this year) but I just don't think there's going to time. And now that we're going to be grandparents, I can't really justify spending that money on those things.

Edited to add: I just really want to eat cake and wear a pretty dress.

I had a wedding--I HATED it. And I didn't get any of my own cake *sniffle* :'( In fact, I didn't get any of my own wedding food, except the cold leftovers when all the guests were gone. -_-
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I have a (please don't judge me) question about hard boiled eggs.

Do you use a 'hard boiled egg' (say usda or whatever entry) for your hard boiled egg (weighing it of course) or do you just use a raw entry for the eggs you buy? I buy large eggs that say 70 calories per egg, but with the hard boiled listing it's now 78 calories. :blush:

Not to horrify you or anything, but most of my eggs come in at ~95 calories. I weigh them.

I don't specify raw or cooked, I just typed in the brand name and size and click accept.

Protip: The FDA allows for up to 20% variance in calories listed vs what the food actually is. Eggs could be 100 calories on a package that says they're 80. Unless you're adding something to your eggs, like salt, I doubt they could go up 8 calories just from boiling.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    brisloth wrote: »
    I've started eating less than 600 calories a day to speed up my loss. My TDEE is only like 1600 right now, so 1200 is going to get me pretty much nowhere. I'm actually pretty *kitten* proud of myself for how much self restraint I can show.

Wait what??
  • Oberon21
    Options
    ohgeeque wrote: »
    Ok so I went to the sugar thread after getting caught up on this. Sooo not judging but... Does anyone notice that it's like the same 3 or 4 people who blow up these threads? And get all nasty and judgmental? They seem to follow each other around.

I didn't read that thread, but I often see a group going thread to thread with their snarky 'expert' replies. There is one dude who is a total tool.

Yep he is the worst. I am pretty sure I know who you mean. I am surprised they let him continue.

I got super excited when I read this since I actually think I know who y'all are talking about too! I know that's an odd thing to be excited about but I feel "in the loop" :)

If they show up we can just bite our tongues and ignore them in a very non-judgmental way.
    They'll hate that. :)

TOTALLY
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    tiona83 wrote: »
    I feel like a loser because I don't ever really have any GOOD confessions for this oh, so worthy thread, but here goes.

Confession 1: I packed an awesome lunch today and wanted to devour it before 11 this morning. I don't take lunch until 1. I managed to make it until noon, but now I'm sad because my food is over. I often get sad when my food is over.

Confession 2: I totally had Dr. Pepper last night with my Auntie Anne's pretzel bites and didn't log it. Oops. >:)

My youngest (8) has a bad habit of taking bites out of her lunch why she packs it. The school policy is no junk food (crisps/chips, chocolate, cookies/biscuits) so it's not like it's something sweet. Came down stairs yesterday and she had half her sandwich gone. This was after her breakfast.

Errrrr, what?! How is that even enforced and why? I'm all for encouraging healthy habits, but this seems a bit extreme.

Honestly, I'm all for that. Why, you might ask, when all foods are healthy in the context of a well-balanced diet? Because for many kids, that kind of food is ALL that their parents give them, and this way, at least they'll get ONE non-"junk" meal in their day. At least, that's my personal take on it. :)
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    KylerJaye wrote: »
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    paulaviki wrote: »
    My confession today is that I chew the skin around my nails on my fingers, when I'm not chewing them I pick them. It looks gross and it hurts but I can't stop doing it. I'm nearly 33 and have been doing it since I was about 11. Every now and again I stop it but then I always start up again. Nasty habit! :(

I do this too. My fingers look a mess, but I haven't been able to stop. I don't bite my nails as much as I used to, but I still pick at the skin. I've been doing it for as long as I can remember and it gets worse if I'm anxious or stressed. I'm embarrassed to let people see my hands.

And it doesn't help that I live in a dry climate so my skin is always rough (I try to use lotion, but it's not enough).

i peel layers of skin off of the bottoms of my feet and heels. sometimes i rip off too much, hit raw flesh then end up with a slight limp for a few days while it heals....

Oh, thank god. I'm not the only one...it's like you know better, but just can't help yourself.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    tiona83 wrote: »
    I feel like a loser because I don't ever really have any GOOD confessions for this oh, so worthy thread, but here goes.

Confession 1: I packed an awesome lunch today and wanted to devour it before 11 this morning. I don't take lunch until 1. I managed to make it until noon, but now I'm sad because my food is over. I often get sad when my food is over.

Confession 2: I totally had Dr. Pepper last night with my Auntie Anne's pretzel bites and didn't log it. Oops. >:)

My youngest (8) has a bad habit of taking bites out of her lunch why she packs it. The school policy is no junk food (crisps/chips, chocolate, cookies/biscuits) so it's not like it's something sweet. Came down stairs yesterday and she had half her sandwich gone. This was after her breakfast.

Errrrr, what?! How is that even enforced and why? I'm all for encouraging healthy habits, but this seems a bit extreme.

Honestly, I'm all for that. Why, you might ask, when all foods are healthy in the context of a well-balanced diet? Because for many kids, that kind of food is ALL that their parents give them, and this way, at least they'll get ONE non-"junk" meal in their day. At least, that's my personal take on it. :)

I don't mind it, either. The way it works these days, kids go to lunch for 20 minutes, then recess 20 minutes, but as soon as they're done eating, they get to go to recess. Give them a lunch of a sandwich, a string cheese, some carrots and a cookie, most of them are going to eat the cookie, dump the rest, and go to recess as soon as they possibly can. Take away the cookie, they have no choice but to eat something that will last longer than recess.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Kalici wrote: »

I think I know who you're all talking about. I have to confess I get awfully judgmental about them in other threads!

I don't know why you all gotta hate on @tincanonastring like that.

(I am, of course, absolutely kidding. Hoping the alert gets him to come back - we miss you Mr. Onastring!)

Wow, I confess that I'm a retard. I've always been reading it like Tin Canon A String, not Tin Can On a String.

What an Idiot. I'm gonna go put my head in a hole now.

Don't feel bad! I read it the same way at first too :smile:
  • DressedInDreams
    DressedInDreams Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Edited to add: I just really want to eat cake and wear a pretty dress.
    Me too. :cry:

5 years later I'm still sad because no wedding cake. We got married at the courthouse which is fine. We still dressed up, I bought a bridesmaid dress and some new heels. The only other thing I wanted was a wedding cake, haha. Sigh.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    I confess I love trying to figure out if people are female or male on this thread. When the avatar is ambiguous I tend to think male (Unless it's a cat then I think female) until I figure it out from their posts.

99% of the time they are female. We need more guys on here!
  • DressedInDreams
    DressedInDreams Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    or you'll be stuck trying to dress a girl in long sleeved sweaters covered in dump trucks in August.

Lol hilarious
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »

Baby showers for second babies are a huge pet peeve of mine
    I have several friends that have had one, I have never attended a single one

Feel like I have to defend myself here, and I don't even know why. I had a shower for my second, my kids are almost six years apart first one is a boy and the second is a girl. I had given most of our baby stuff away to friends, and I needed supplies. My friends offered and I wasn't going to say no.

In terms of etiquette, the only thing worse than having a shower for a second baby is throwing your own shower or having a relative throw one for you.

Major faux pas.

I agree that people shouldn't be planning their own showers.
    But why can't relatives? And if someone is throwing a person a second shower, are they just supposed to say "no"?

Because showers are gift grabs. Having close relatives ask for gifts on your behalf is crass.

Great, someone who abhors children giving advice on baby showers.

FYI, my low-income trailor trash *kitten* threw my own baby shower. You know why? Because the only way I can see the people I care about is to schedule an event. Gifts were not obligatory, we played one game and had lunch and candy. So please. You don't get to make the rules, preggo-hater.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    AllTheNoms wrote: »
    New confession #1: I'm obsessed with Jeni's ice cream to the point that I even professed my love for it (Brown Butter Almond Brittle flavor, to be precise) in my profile on a dating app. I met my now-boyfriend through that app and think I have created a monster. He confessed last night that he bought a pint of chocolate flavor Jeni's ice cream, ate 2/3 of it, and then threw the rest away to keep himself from finishing it.

New confession #2: As my now-boyfriend was confessing this to me, all I could think about was how perfect it was for this thread. MFP is taking over my life!

Lol thats hilarious