(Why) are people really disappointed to hear they can eat anything they want and still lose weight?

Options
kommodevaran
kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
I see this many times each day on the forums. Question: "What can I eat that will make me lose fat?" (Almost) collective answer: "You can eat anything you like as long as you are in a calorie deficit." Reaction is in 99.99% of cases, disbelief, mistrust, frustration, even anger. Why? I was over myself from joy when I realised that I could still eat candy at birthdays and that low fat diet foods weren't necessary to lose and maintain weight.

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Because it's hard to accept the fact that you have had control over your weight all along. And, also, that food isn't the problem - you are.

It's so much easier to blame food than accept responsibility and take the time to understand portion control. And, it's much easier to forgive yourself for your failings when you believe that fad diets, crash diets and highly restrictive diets are the only way to lose weight. Because, those diets are hard to do comfortably and most people fail at them.

It's also easier to blame food, then to get up and go to the gym every day.
  • Labouffecestbon
    Labouffecestbon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I see this many times each day on the forums. Question: "What can I eat that will make me lose fat?" (Almost) collective answer: "You can eat anything you like as long as you are in a calorie deficit." Reaction is in 99.99% of cases, disbelief, mistrust, frustration, even anger. Why? I was over myself from joy when I realised that I could still eat candy at birthdays and that low fat diet foods weren't necessary to lose and maintain weight.
    Because they don't want to believe that it isn't as difficult as they thought. No one wants to be blamed for being unfit! It's the food's fault!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Possibly because depending on how you interpret the phrase, it's not true. And it's not true for everyone regardless of interpretation.

I am constantly shocked that people actually thought they couldn't eat things like cake and lose weight.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Because it's hard to accept the fact that you have had control over your weight all along. And, also, that food isn't the problem - you are.

It's so much easier to blame food than accept responsibility and take the time to understand portion control. And, it's much easier to forgive yourself for your failings when you believe that fad diets, crash diets and highly restrictive diets are the only way to lose weight. Because, those diets are hard to do comfortably and most people fail at them.

All of this! Accountability for ones self is hard!
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i also think people are looking for that magic food they can cut out and the weight will simply fall off. they hear every week that a new food is 'bad' for u. it's hard to except that all these new 'studies' aren't completely accurate
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i was actually over the moon when i realised this! I thought losing weight was this complicated, unobtainable thing that i would never succeed at. now i understand it and am enjoying the process. I have always been a bit of a control freak though, so i quite like how its all in my hands.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I see this many times each day on the forums. Question: "What can I eat that will make me lose fat?" (Almost) collective answer: "You can eat anything you like as long as you are in a calorie deficit." Reaction is in 99.99% of cases, disbelief, mistrust, frustration, even anger. Why?

Because for many people this is harder than restricting food choices.

For others, its not.

Walk the path that works for you....
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    It's not helpful a lot of the time. Eating whatever they want is what got them fat, something has to change. Some structure and guidelines at first are what some people need to get started since they don't know where to begin. Incorporating more foods can come later once they can maintain a deficit.

Or the opposite. Logging whatever they eat without restricting calories and over a period they can figure out what foods and quantities work for them and what doesn't. It's a process.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Because people listen to media. Infomercials, ads in magazines, etc. They assume because of this information that dieting is a struggle and it's a thing you HAVE to do to get weight off. I lost 17lbs since December just by eating smaller amounts of the things I ate before and logging them to make sure I was in a calorie deficient. That's it. No hours in the gym, no diet food, etc. Just eating less.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

Why? Because people are constantly bombarded by marketing for the latest fad diet book/plan. Weight loss is a huge money making industry but there isn't much money to be made by saying "Eat less".
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

applause-gif-tumblr-43_zps4e464b19.gif
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I personally think that using the word "diet", "lose" weight" all comes with stigmas as a one time only thing...

What we do here on MFP is teach, preach, discuss, debate, learn, ingest that this is a long term lifestyle change..

In the past when I went on a "diet" I looked for instructions, a how to manual to lose x pounds and never looked for what do I do after I lose x pounds...

Here I learned I can eat ALL the things I love and can still be "happy".

Limiting, restricting, etc.. may as well have put handcuffs on my back and pad locks on the cabinets.

I have control... the food does not control me. People refuse to accept that once their minds are right on the concept that they can have all they want.. just a wee bit less..
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've known people who were in denial about how many calories they were eating. 'It's not fair I'm fat, I don't eat anything!". Accepting that it really comes down to calories would mean admitting that they really didn't live on a single slice of lettuce, that it might have been hitting McDonald's every night on the way home from work for a couple burgers, fries, shake and a couple apple pies. (In this instance, not referring to anyone else!)
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I think others have nailed it , I just wanted to add that it is interesting to watch the process unfold from the newbs and recall how I felt and delt with the concept when I first started reading the replies of " you can eat everything " but but but ...... It takes some time to sink in.

In the end though, even though I can and ocassionaly do eat everything I certainly choose my food with purpose now.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

This.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    I think others have nailed it , I just wanted to add that it is interesting to watch the process unfold from the newbs and recall how I felt and delt with the concept when I first started reading the replies of " you can eat everything " but but but ...... It takes some time to sink in.

In the end though, even though I can and ocassionaly do eat everything I certainly choose my food with purpose now.

Love the bolded! I will choose my food with purpose!
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    The alternative to scapegoating is to believe that normal people eating a normal diet with a normal lifestyle will have problems with their size. To believe that alternative is to cave to the reality that to get what they want, they will need to deal with the numbers and that they will be permanently doing something different from those around them.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Because it is so simple. Not EASY, but simple. You have to do the work and barring any medical issues that prevent achieving your goals, it's on the individual whether you succeed or don't. Most people I know of hate the fact that it is so do-able. Don't do it, can't put it on anyone but yourself. Personal accountability - lack of it everywhere these days.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Because people listen to media. Infomercials, ads in magazines, etc. They assume because of this information that dieting is a struggle and it's a thing you HAVE to do to get weight off.

This, I think, is the truth. And being older, it's something I never realized until I joined MFP. When I grew up, I didn't know anyone that didn't know weight loss was all about eating less calories than you burn. Adults, teens, children, it was just common sense. And maybe that's why the general public was thinner then.

It's truly been an eye opener for me how many people today don't know this. What the heck happened?
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I think you are making that stat up. Your whole premise seems like a straw man argument.
This discussion has been closed.