(Why) are people really disappointed to hear they can eat anything they want and still lose weight?

Options

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I don't get it, either. People just don't want to believe that it doesn't have to be hard or miserable!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't get it, either. People just don't want to believe that it doesn't have to be hard or miserable!

Being able to incorporate any food into your diet, doesn't necessarily mean the diet won't be hard. It's not as if you can eat everything you want and lose weight.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I think part of it is - if they realize it's that easy- then they really truly have no excuse- so either "I haven't found the magic bullet" or the "other option is just to hard."'

It just CAN"T be that easy- if it was that easy- they would have done it already- it's a way to continue to do nothing and not have to take responsibility. And don't forget the power of the fear of failure.

I know those two things- really held me back- misconceptions about calorie counting- and the idea that I just didn't have the willpower to stick with it. Turns out- I was wrong on both accounts ;)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I blame McDonald's. And the Dutch.

Totally kidding, by the way. Agree with PRMinx. It has to be more complicated and someone else's fault rather than their own.
    Leave us Dutchies alone
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Because eating "whatever you want" to them might mean eating 12 pizza slices and tons of mac and cheese regularly. Sure you can have pizza and mac and cheese just not that much.

And to the poster above about it being "that easy" it really is NOT easy at all. It's simple CICO sure, but it is not easy to lose weight by any stretch of the imagination.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thank you, everybody. I admit that I made that number up, jddmw :p

beemerphile1: Shouldn't people be happy when they are told that dieting doesn't have to cost anything?

For me, it was just so liberating and empowering to know that I could do it by myself. I used to think that I would need a nutritionist, a cook, a PT, a coach, lots of money, and handcuffs. Now I decide what I want to eat every day, buy and cook my own food, walk, and most importantly, walk past the chips and candy racks in the store B)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've known people who were in denial about how many calories they were eating. 'It's not fair I'm fat, I don't eat anything!". Accepting that it really comes down to calories would mean admitting that they really didn't live on a single slice of lettuce, that it might have been hitting McDonald's every night on the way home from work for a couple burgers, fries, shake and a couple apple pies. (In this instance, not referring to anyone else!)

I think this is a big part of it. For a lot of people, especially women, there's a real stigma, at least in their own minds, to overeating. It's much easier and (they think) more socially acceptable to claim that they ate very little but still got fat, and if that's so it has to be the fault of the food--bad food choices must make you fat, since it can't be excess calories. (They may even really believe this--I finally broke down and watched that Secret Eaters show, and the episode I saw certainly fit into this pattern, but so have MANY conversations I've had with women who struggle with their weight.)

Even for those women (and men, I'm sure) who admit that they overeat, many will still feel like they need to find an excuse for it, because acknowledging that they are (in their own minds, again) being gluttonous is uncomfortable or unacceptable. So we get to the "oh, for ME, if I eat whatever I CANNOT stop." This also, as was pointed out above, provides a built in "it's too hard" excuse, since most people eat, say, bread and pasta, so if you are someone who supposedly can't lose weight without giving those things up, then you would have to do something too extreme to really be expected of you, at least not now.

And, of course, because humans are crazy complicated creatures, these messed up ideas tend to often cause cycles of emotional attachment plus guilt and shame connected with eating choices that actually probably result in the creation of many of the psychological issues with food that people have that DO make it hard for them to eat whatever and still lose weight.

Finally, it's not strictly true that people can just eat what they've been eating (in smaller quantities) and lose weight. Some can, some will naturally and practically get how they have to adjust their diet to make it work with fewer calories (this was me, I think), but some don't have any kind of set eating schedule or plan and think they just eat when they are hungry or what's available without choice and are overwhelmed by the whole thing. For some of them eating less means being very stressed and hungry, whereas getting excited about some new thing (eating healthy, IMO, being a better way to frame it than "dumping the BAD foods like all the WHITE ones" or "eating clean, which I define to mean excluding fatty meats, no matter where from, and home baked bread, but processed cold cuts are fine since they aren't really processed according to my personal non-coherent definition" but then that's just my pet peeve).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Because people listen to media. Infomercials, ads in magazines, etc. They assume because of this information that dieting is a struggle and it's a thing you HAVE to do to get weight off.

This, I think, is the truth. And being older, it's something I never realized until I joined MFP. When I grew up, I didn't know anyone that didn't know weight loss was all about eating less calories than you burn. Adults, teens, children, it was just common sense. And maybe that's why the general public was thinner then.

It's truly been an eye opener for me how many people today don't know this. What the heck happened?

I think there's always been a lot of people who didn't know it.

I'm probably about your age, and when I was a kid there were all sorts of fad diets in magazines and stuff like the Scarsdale diet and the Beverly Hills diet (my mother bought the book and lots of diet books, although the only diets I recall her doing were "eating less" based and not faddy). There was also the no fat craze.

It is true that everyone I knew then knew that it was about eating less and moving more, but so does everyone I interact with (so far as I can tell) now--quite commonly who one knows isn't a good representative of the US public. It's rather like the "no one I know voted for Nixon" thing. I mean, I was shocked to learn that lots of people think "lose" is spelled "loose," too.

I think the reason people are fatter now has more to do with cultural changes, access to food, and a lack of reason for or access to activity as opposed to the existence of fad diets or silly ideas about specific foods or macronutrients being special fat pills. It's just that a place like MFP does an excellent job at revealing just how common those ideas are.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    For me, it was just so liberating and empowering to know that I could do it by myself.

Not to be a wet blanket, but until someone actually reaches goal weight and successful maintains the weight loss for 5-10 years, they're not really in a position to say that anything in particular "works".
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    For me, it was just so liberating and empowering to know that I could do it by myself.

Not to be a wet blanket, but until someone actually reaches goal weight and successful maintains the weight loss for 5-10 years, they're not really in a position to say that anything "works".

Wow.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited April 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Because people listen to media. Infomercials, ads in magazines, etc. They assume because of this information that dieting is a struggle and it's a thing you HAVE to do to get weight off.

This, I think, is the truth. And being older, it's something I never realized until I joined MFP. When I grew up, I didn't know anyone that didn't know weight loss was all about eating less calories than you burn. Adults, teens, children, it was just common sense. And maybe that's why the general public was thinner then.

It's truly been an eye opener for me how many people today don't know this. What the heck happened?

I think there's always been a lot of people who didn't know it.

I'm probably about your age, and when I was a kid there were all sorts of fad diets in magazines and stuff like the Scarsdale diet and the Beverly Hills diet (my mother bought the book and lots of diet books, although the only diets I recall her doing were "eating less" based and not faddy). There was also the no fat craze.

I was a senior in high school when the Scarsdale diet was published. I'm not familiar with the Beverly Hills diet.
  • Desi2479
    Desi2479 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    Because eating "whatever you want" to them might mean eating 12 pizza slices and tons of mac and cheese regularly. Sure you can have pizza and mac and cheese just not that much.

And to the poster above about it being "that easy" it really is NOT easy at all. It's simple CICO sure, but it is not easy to lose weight by any stretch of the imagination.

That's the issue, I think. People say 'You can eat what you want and lose weight.' Some people hear, 'You can eat what you want, in whatever quantities you want, and lose weight.' And some of the people that hear that also think that they won't possibly be satisfied with 10 slices of pizza instead of 12, so they want the fad or magic bullet or whatever, which of course brings it back to accountability. Because, as PRMinx said - "Because it's hard to accept the fact that you have had control over your weight all along. And, also, that food isn't the problem - you are."
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Not to be a wet blanket, but until someone actually reaches goal weight and successful maintains the weight loss for 5-10 years, they're not really in a position to say that anything in particular "works".

Hmm, I'm not sure I agree. You couldn't say it works for maintenance, but you could say it works for weight loss.

And while it's hard to argue that maintenance is where more people fail, most people I know that have controlled their weight over the years have done it by periodically dieting. They yo-yo. Not 100's of lbs, but I know few people who have not been on more than one "diet" in their life. (I'm kind of old)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Saying "Not to be a wet blanket" = being a wet blanket

• lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's disappointment you're hearing. I think some people (myself included) would find weighing and logging everything they ate to be a bit much. Which is why there are many different ways of going about losing weight. Yes, I know, ultimately it's all about CICO but there are many ways to stay within a goal without all the weighing and measuring. Although eliminating foods is not popular around here, it certainly works well for others. I have happily remained the same weight for many years by just eliminating certain foods. I would rather eat large plates of foods full of vegetables and lean protein rather than monitoring everything I eat just so that I can have a piece of cake. To each his own.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    A slight, but meaningful variation on the theme that "food isn't the problem, you are"...

People believe they have black/white personalities that are fundamentally in conflict with moderation. So when "eat less of any food" is the answer, they literally don't think they have the toolset to do it and that is upsetting. It is not disbelief in the science, it is lack of confidence that they could ever eat in moderation.

Information that is much harder to come by on the forums, and is more useful, is how to change your attitude about food and diets so that you can put the oft touted advice into practice. And more importantly, that it can be done irrespective of how all or nothing of a personality you possess.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

This is true. It just is.

It's really not. I'm not sure someone need 10 years to say something worked. That's crazy talk.

• PRMinx
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

This is true. It just is.

It's really not. I'm not sure someone need 10 years to say something worked. That's crazy talk.

I respect your opinion but, sorry, I agree with the Knighted One. Based on the statistics of regain after weight loss within a five year period, even using the CICO method, he's right on.

I don't even think he's that crazy :smile:

That's not a failing of CICO. That's a failing on the part of the person.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options

Being able to incorporate any food into your diet, doesn't necessarily mean the diet won't be hard. It's not as if you can eat everything you want and lose weight.

I do. Eating everything i want =/= eating five cakes for breakfast.

Everything indicates nothing about quantity, simply the actual items. If someone lumps "everything" with "however much food I want" then that is their issue to deal with.
This discussion has been closed.