(Why) are people really disappointed to hear they can eat anything they want and still lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Fentyman
    Fentyman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ate at a deficit and exercised. I stepped on the scale this morning, I loss more weight. It works!
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Possibly because depending on how you interpret the phrase, it's not true. And it's not true for everyone regardless of interpretation.

I am constantly shocked that people actually thought they couldn't eat things like cake and lose weight.

you can eat cake and still lose weight. It is all about portion control and tracking. Obviously you can't eat an entire cake or a whole Pizza.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    F**king hell. Let's recap shall we?

OP asks why people get butthurt about CICO. OP later mentions that is working for them and is glad it's in their hands.

Captain Obvious then steps in with an irrelevant point, followed by the usual White Knight squadron.

Jesus Christ on a f**king bicycle. Seriously.

You just gave me my laugh of the day, herrspoons. Thanks.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    For me, it was just so liberating and empowering to know that I could do it by myself.

Not to be a wet blanket, but until someone actually reaches goal weight and successful maintains the weight loss for 5-10 years, they're not really in a position to say that anything in particular "works".

That's kind of like saying an F1 racecar driver needs to win races for at least 10 years to prove that an internal combustion engine actually works.

Why would any race need to be won in order to prove an engine works?
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Not to be a wet blanket, but until someone actually reaches goal weight and successful maintains the weight loss for 5-10 years, they're not really in a position to say that anything in particular "works".

This is true. It just is.

It's really not. I'm not sure someone need 10 years to say something worked. That's crazy talk.

I respect your opinion but, sorry, I agree with the Knighted One. Based on the statistics of regain after weight loss within a five year period, even using the CICO method, he's right on.

I don't even think he's that crazy :smile:

That's not a failing of CICO. That's a failing on the part of the person.

Yes.

Ok. And I think that if a person has had success and lost weight....only to regain it 7 years later...that person saying it works isn't wrong. They just lost control. That doesn't mean they can't reflect on what works, because they know what works because they've done it.

Just because they aren't practicing it, doesn't mean they aren't aware of why they regained the weight.

The issue definitely is control, yes.

And despite the fact that people know why they regain, most of them regain even still. Using any and all methods of weight loss. Including CICO. While eating controlled portions of pop tarts. For 4 years and 364 days, or something like that. :wink:

Right, but just because they have regained the weight, doesn't mean they don't understand what works.

The did. But I think the definition of "works" might be viewed as subjective in this case. It works if you work it so to speak. But somehow, most people don't feel like working it anymore at about the five year mark, or well before. Most people regain the weight. It's the awful truth.

But that's a personal choice. It doesn't mean that they don't know what works.

Yeah, any method chosen to lose weight is personal. And anyone is free to choose whatever method they want. But really. Statistically, those who choose CICO are not exempt from the dismal regain statistics within 5 years.

This totally. I find it mind boggling when MFP users jump down someone's throat if they talk about other methods of losing other then CICO. At the end of the day we all want to lose the weight and whatever "diet" we use is a personal choice. I certainly can't drink "diet" shakes forever but I also have a hard time counting calories forever so here I am trying for the umpteenth time.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    OMG, the nitpicking has reached new heights.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Possibly because depending on how you interpret the phrase, it's not true. And it's not true for everyone regardless of interpretation.

I am constantly shocked that people actually thought they couldn't eat things like cake and lose weight.

you can eat cake and still lose weight. It is all about portion control and tracking. Obviously you can't eat an entire cake or a whole Pizza.

I eat whole pizzas occasionally and I'm losing. And I have wine with it. I make 12 in pizzas that are < 1000 calories per serving.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

It's really not. I'm not sure someone need 10 years to say something worked. That's crazy talk.

I respect your opinion but, sorry, I agree with the Knighted One. Based on the statistics of regain after weight loss within a five year period, even using the CICO method, he's right on.

Yes.

Ok. And I think that if a person has had success and lost weight....only to regain it 7 years later...that person saying it works isn't wrong. They just lost control. That doesn't mean they can't reflect on what works, because they know what works because they've done it.

Just because they aren't practicing it, doesn't mean they aren't aware of why they regained the weight.

And despite the fact that people know why they regain, most of them regain even still. Using any and all methods of weight loss. Including CICO. While eating controlled portions of pop tarts. For 4 years and 364 days, or something like that. :wink:

Right, but just because they have regained the weight, doesn't mean they don't understand what works.

The did. But I think the definition of "works" might be viewed as subjective in this case. It works if you work it so to speak. But somehow, most people don't feel like working it anymore at about the five year mark, or well before. Most people regain the weight. It's the awful truth.

Yeah, any method chosen to lose weight is personal. And anyone is free to choose whatever method they want. But really. Statistically, those who choose CICO are not exempt from the dismal regain statistics within 5 years.

And I'm not knocking it. I'm trying it and we'll see. If it works, great. But I won't post my success story here until 5 years from reaching goal weight. It wouldn't be until then that I'd consider myself a success at weight loss. Even with CICO.

(And I'm not knocking anyone who chooses to post a success story earlier than that. I love to read success stories, even if they are short term and no one can read the future anyway :smile: )

That's you personal choice, but it still doesn't mean that someone who understand the basics principles of CICO (either because they understand the science or they have successfully lost weight) isn't able to say it works. All it means is that they didn't have the willpower to sustain it. Two very different concepts.

Yes, we sort of agree but not exactly. Personally I think the long term determines success but maybe that's just me.

That's where the difference is though. Having success and knowing what works are two very different things.

Let's take professors, for example.

My corporate finance professor was brilliant. He didn't want to work on Wall Street though - the environment wasn't right for him. So, he's not a multi-millionare trader. But, man, he knew his stuff and has taught hundreds, if not thousands, of students corporate finance. And I would guess that a good number of those students are having success on the street. Now, are we saying he can't teach anymore because he didn't have 10 years of successful trading experience on the street? That's preposterous.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Obviously you can't eat an entire cake or a whole Pizza.

Or CAN you???
  • JSurita2
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    JSurita2 wrote: »

Yes.

This totally. I find it mind boggling when MFP users jump down someone's throat if they talk about other methods of losing other then CICO. At the end of the day we all want to lose the weight and whatever "diet" we use is a personal choice. I certainly can't drink "diet" shakes forever but I also have a hard time counting calories forever so here I am trying for the umpteenth time.

Right. Go and look at those studies and the participants. We are not talking about people who are a bit overweight, we are generally talking about people who are obese or morbidly obese. Frankly you could give them any diet and they'd fail or have a massive recidivism rate, because, not to mince words, they lack the discipline to conform to any maintenance regime, which is why they're so huge in the first place.

For your average slightly porky dieter, CICO and a bit of education works very well.

===> Slightly porky dieter :)
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Because the people who ask that want an easy fix. They don't want to hear that they have to log and track or whatever, they want to hear, "Just eat ______ every day and you'll lose weight."
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options

Yes.

And I'm not knocking it. I'm trying it and we'll see. If it works, great. But I won't post my success story here until 5 years from reaching goal weight. It wouldn't be until then that I'd consider myself a success at weight loss. Even with CICO.

(And I'm not knocking anyone who chooses to post a success story earlier than that. I love to read success stories, even if they are short term and no one can read the future anyway :smile: )

That's you personal choice, but it still doesn't mean that someone who understand the basics principles of CICO (either because they understand the science or they have successfully lost weight) isn't able to say it works. All it means is that they didn't have the willpower to sustain it. Two very different concepts.

Yes, we sort of agree but not exactly. Personally I think the long term determines success but maybe that's just me.

So what's long-term, until death? What if someone maintains for fifteen years then regains after their significant other dies? Then losses again after grieving because they already knew what works?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I see this many times each day on the forums. Question: "What can I eat that will make me lose fat?" (Almost) collective answer: "You can eat anything you like as long as you are in a calorie deficit." Reaction is in 99.99% of cases, disbelief, mistrust, frustration, even anger. Why? I was over myself from joy when I realised that I could still eat candy at birthdays and that low fat diet foods weren't necessary to lose and maintain weight.

I know when I realized that I could lose weight just by simply watching my calorie intake I was kind of disgusted and angry with myself for wasting so many years doing overly complicated things when this is so ridiculously easy. I didn't disbelieve it because it was working for me but there was definitely a feeling like I had been stupid and scammed. Then I was happy. Super happy.
    Some people want fast, magic weight loss. They don't want to hear that it should take months or years to lose weight. They want to lose 50 lbs in a month and be strutting around in a bikini. Their friend/co-worker/family member lost weight quicker than that cutting everything out of their diet or doing crazy stuff so they must have to do that too.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    Obviously you can't eat an entire cake or a whole Pizza.

Or CAN you???

Enter easy-bake oven for the win!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I think it's hard to believe that concept because as a society we've been bombarded with all these fad diets that basically deprive you of food in one way or another. My first post on mfp was how much I was craving fast food and sodas, how I missed it - cuz I had completely stopped eating it (it's what you're told to do, by all diets and fads, when you go on a diet to lose weight). Even though people told me it was OK to eat some, I still didn't believe them. After all, fast food for me = fat food. Until one day I decided to try and see if it was true I could still lose weight... which I did that week!! It was definitely liberating to know I didn't have to suffer, by missing out on foods I love, to lose weight. But that's another thing, people shouldn't believe that by saying "eating whatever you want" = eating the same huge amounts they used to. It's about learning to eat smaller amounts of foods they love. :flowerforyou:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I see this many times each day on the forums. Question: "What can I eat that will make me lose fat?" (Almost) collective answer: "You can eat anything you like as long as you are in a calorie deficit." Reaction is in 99.99% of cases, disbelief, mistrust, frustration, even anger. Why? I was over myself from joy when I realised that I could still eat candy at birthdays and that low fat diet foods weren't necessary to lose and maintain weight.

I know when I realized that I could lose weight just by simply watching my calorie intake I was kind of disgusted and angry with myself for wasting so many years doing overly complicated things when this is so ridiculously easy. I didn't disbelieve it because it was working for me but there was definitely a feeling like I had been stupid and scammed. Then I was happy. Super happy.
    Some people want fast, magic weight loss. They don't want to hear that it should take months or years to lose weight. They want to lose 50 lbs in a month and be strutting around in a bikini. Their friend/co-worker/family member lost weight quicker than that cutting everything out of their diet or doing crazy stuff so they must have to do that too.

Who wouldn't want fast magic weight loss? I know I would. But having to cut everything from my diet or do crazy stuff doesn't sound like magic. It sounds like misery.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    From many years of fad dieting and hearing ppl claim to have found the magic cure for obesity I too believed, tried and purchased everything that claimed to make me lose weight, only to be disappointment time and time again. It wasn't until I joined MFP, started reading the forums, following links and with the no nonsense fact based replies from seasoned members was that I actually began to accept CiCo and that I only needed to create a caloric deficit to lose weight not the miracle pill or detox juice. The light bulb finally turned on.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options

Depends on the size, I can eat a while individual pizza for less than half my days needs. But I usually prefer to split it for more protein
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Because it's hard to accept the fact that you have had control over your weight all along. And, also, that food isn't the problem - you are.

It's so much easier to blame food than accept responsibility and take the time to understand portion control. And, it's much easier to forgive yourself for your failings when you believe that fad diets, crash diets and highly restrictive diets are the only way to lose weight. Because, those diets are hard to do comfortably and most people fail at them.

It's also easier to blame food, then to get up and go to the gym every day.

You get the same reaction when you tell them they can eat more than 1200 calories, or they don't have to exercise. You're taking away their excuses.
  • JSurita2
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

You are probably the first person I've heard claim that losing weight is so ridiculously easy. Unfortunately the majority of people struggle.
This discussion has been closed.