What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• deannasimon2
    deannasimon2 Posts: 14 Member
    Virkati wrote: »
    Nobody told me that I have to be my own biggest supporter. My own biggest fan. And that if I didn't want others to belittle, berate, or beat me down for not the greatest choices, then I couldn't do it to myself.

I can't be hoping for affirmations from others or for others to notice.

I didn't know how many people could/would give "back-handed" compliments. Or how painful they would be.

I didn't know how strong, committed, dedicated, and tenacious I am. I do now.

This post brought tears to my eyes. I can totally relate. Thanks for writing this.

I can 100% relate to this as well.
  • Li_Willi
    Li_Willi Posts: 96 Member
    Bump!
  • AmandaPE1021
    AmandaPE1021 Posts: 9 Member
    palwithme wrote: »
    + You realize you don't need to go into the handicap stall in the bathroom any more to feel like you have enough room. Strange things like that.

Literally this is me now! I still have 78 to lose (current weight loss=35lbs!) And i always went into the handicap stall. Now i go in the normal ones!
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    palwithme wrote: »
    + You realize you don't need to go into the handicap stall in the bathroom any more to feel like you have enough room. Strange things like that.
    Yes! I've never heard anyone else say this, but it is true!
  • notfbam
    notfbam Posts: 45 Member
    I love this thread! I remember finding whatever that bone is below the collarbone...I thought I had a tumor for about a week before I realized what it was! Duh!

:)
    I knew it wasn't anything wrong when I caught a glimpse of mine but it was great!
  • notfbam
    KatieLK14 wrote: »
    - how excited I get when my muscles feel like they've been well worked/sore
    - how some people will get REALLY WEIRD about your dedication to eating well/ working out
    - actually starting to like myself is sweeeeeeeeet

Excellent!
  • notfbam
    The fact that eating all this wonderful healthy food gives you GAS! All I do is FART and it smells HORRIBLE!....Cmon I cant be the only one LOL

You're not the only one, you're the only BRAVE one!
  • notfbam
    sjadev1108 wrote: »
    I love this thread because I notice weird things all the time:
    -I don't need to use the exceptionally large bath towels I bought because they are the only ones that covered me
    -I don't have to lift up rolls to shave certain intimate parts
    -I can snap my bras much more easily
    -I feel smaller in people's arms when they hug me
    -I have to stop myself from saying things to people who talk about losing weight but then walk in my office with a piece of cake
    -I no longer have perpetual heartburn
    -I snore significantly less (I'm told lol)
    -I got rid of many toxic people and situations
    -Figuring out that most of the reasons I held on weight, or ate like crap was emotional and dealing with those issues from my past
    -Sometimes this journey is lonely as you realize the people you were around before are negative and subconsiously liked you fat, so you removed yourself.....or they removed themselves because hearing about calories, the gym and your success bothers them....or you just ran out of time to connect between the gym and the grocery and the rest of life
    -how my mom would try to take credit because of the "constructive criticism" she's given me for years about my weight
    -Not recognizing my own body in the mirror sometimes
    -finding a zest for challenging myself with this journey and in other things

I am sure I'll think of more, but this is it for now.....congratulations to everyone on this
    "wild ride" with their successes:)

Thanks for sharing that!
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    But on a much more serious note, what shocked me the most about losing weight was...myself. I've heard that losing weight gives you confidence, but no one told me that weight loss would give me a whole new personality. Being overweight my ENTIRE life, I never realized how much my weight and insecurities affected my personality. I was hiding behind my weight my whole life and I never even knew it. Once the weight came off, the true me that had been hiding for years emerged. And she is radically different from the person I always thought I was! It's been an interesting journey getting to know this new me! ;)

I love this and can't wait to get to this point. I can feel myself coming out of my shell a little bit but have a way to go. Reading your post gives me inspiration. When I was at my biggest I constantly had a voice in the back of my head telling me that I shouldn't do anything that would embarrass myself to the point of being made fun of for my weight or insulted because of it. I was afraid if I gave an opinion on a topic or started talking others would wonder why the ugly fat chick was talking to them. So, this resulted in me withdrawing from others unless they showed me kindness immediately. In my head, the people who weren't nice to me as soon as they met me didn't like me because I was fat. The nice people were able to see through it. Now, I really don't feel this way. Except for the fact that I am still very quiet and lack a lot of confidence. I just don't have the thoughts about being disliked die to my weight anymore. I am excited and hope I can gain the confidence as a result of losing the weight. :smiley:

I lived for years listening to those same voices and withdrawing from everyone and everything. Shut those voices down and keep working hard towards your goal. You will get there and you'll slowly but surely come out of your shell. And when you finally do, you'll feel so liberated! All of the sacrifices will be worth it in the end! Don't give up! You can do this! *hugs* :)
  • LacednLace
    LacednLace Posts: 480 Member
    edited April 2015
    The fact that eating all this wonderful healthy food gives you GAS! All I do is FART and it smells HORRIBLE!....Cmon I cant be the only one LOL

So glad someone mentioned this, I haven't lost much at all (5lbs since starting a month ago) but ive noticed w/ eating healthier I usually have a higher fiber intake naturally --which is good, but also causes more toots. At work it's embarrassing but thankfully Im usually sitting alone at a console away from others. The first couple nights this happened I would blush every time. Then I realized its gonna happen with the healthier food choices. And that's okay. Embrace it and carry spray if need be.
  • 2ledbetter
    2ledbetter Posts: 199 Member
    @cityjaneLondon That's a great NSV, the positive power of the mind.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!