Rude comments?

How do you deal with rude comments or people thinking that your not doing enough weather here or in real life?

Replies

• littled1986
    littled1986 Posts: 101 Member
    I ignore them. How someone else speaks isn't a reflection of you, it's a reflection of them. Focus on the things that have a positive influence in your life, not the things that bring you down. However, if someone is genuinely trying to help you consider what they're saying because it might just be what you need to hear. If it's not ignore it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Let your progress speak for itself. If that's not good enough for them, then it's a good thing your weight isn't their business.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    People don't generally make rude comments here. Blunt honesty is often mistaken for rudeness by people who would rather hear sugar coated half-truths, or outright lies.

In real life, eff 'em. Anyone who would make a rude comment isn't worth spending the brain power on to worry about it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Depends on the situation and person involved.

If it's someone online, I tell them to stop being a jerk/grow up. If it's on Facebook, I eventually block them.

If it's in real life, and it's someone I have a decent/more than superficial relationship with, I may, depending on the relationship/person involved:

Ignore the remark
    Tell them to bite me
    Smile with a strained look on my face and say nothing
    Point out something about them that is lacking
    Change the subject.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    I think on here a lot of what comes off as rude is not meant to be hurtful, just a bit blunt and sometimes a misunderstood sense of humour.

In real life, I can generally tell if someone means to be rude, and if they do, I think it says a lot more about them than it does about me, so I feel a bit sorry for them, and get on with my awesome life.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2015
    Well, I really can't control the next person. If it's IRL, I may give either a withering or quizzical stare, but really, what can ya do? People are all over the spectrum of knowledge/capability of social graces. Someone else raised the person; you can't do it now. The person was raised to be fantastic, a total azzhole or somewhere in between. Just give a brief look, turn around, walk away and get on with your day. :)

If it's online, there are people who are genuinely clueless, and then there are people who have made a career of vomiting out the same tired memes ("special snowflake" is among my current favorites to ignore) and other "follower" temporary witticisms in order to sound cool...you can't really do much about that either...but know this: that person has his/her seven seconds' claim to fame on some anonymous message board, then everyone forgets him/her again. A few in the posse will jump on board hyuck-hyucking their own tired regurgitated nettisms and equally-follower gifs, then it will all blow over again. I hate to sound so cynical, but really, a few minutes' observation on the internet will show you all of this. It's up to you whether or not to participate; these sorts of methods will continue forever, as far as I can see, at least as long as "forever" includes anonymity online and a frustration/invisibility IRL. It just...is.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    The bird is the word.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Depends on the rude comments, but I don't see how what you are doing is anyone else's business. As someone else said, I'd just ignore it or let it me motivation and focus on your efforts. Your results will speak for themselves!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Depends on the rude comments, but I don't see how what you are doing is anyone else's business. As someone else said, I'd just ignore it or let it me motivation and focus on your efforts. Your results will speak for themselves!

Indeed. :)

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    It is easy to feel like others are judging harshly some days. I think when I am feeling that others are being harsh that those feelings are rooted in the way I feel about myself. When I make better friend with myself the feelings usually go away.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    I try to decide if they may have a point. Sometimes a rude comment may just be a truth I just don't want to hear. It also depends who it's comming from. I've heard rude comments made and never let it get to me because usually it was just some miserable person unhappy with themselves and wanted to take it out on me. Plus they may not have the whole story. someone who judges me on one moment without considering there's always more to a story isn't worth my time.
    Occasionally I use a rude comment as motivation. They think that? I'll show them! Even if "they" never know, I still feel empowered that I proved them wrong to myself.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Is this a reprise of the "Don't be so mean" thread that was shut down?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    Depends on if the comment is truthful and how I feel about the commenter.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Is this a reprise of the "Don't be so mean" thread that was shut down?
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Today Is Only Wednesday, you are 2 day too early.

Perhaps resurrection would have been a better term. Wait until Friday.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    just imagine that you're sucker punching em in the face and that you're not gonna be hauled off to jail! Works for me!
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    just imagine that you're sucker punching em in the face and that you're not gonna be hauled off to jail! Works for me!
    And what do you gain from that?

A very high level of satisfaction.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    And what do you gain from that?
    a satisfying feeling! Just like when your yelling at some dip wipe on the road that can't drive and you just know that he can't hear ya!