The 40-Something Club

Replies

• LastingHealth
    LastingHealth Posts: 18 Member
    I am 44 and had eating disorders when I was young, then got fat. I have lost 19 pounds so far and need to lose another 95. I am eating low-glycemic and it is working really well for me. I am also walking 10,000 steps or more each day for 5-6 days a week. Anyone can add me as a friend. :)
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    I'm 43 also! 4 children 19, 17, 8 and 6. I used MFP a couple years ago to lose 25 lbs. With my husband switching jobs and needing to relocate plus the blasted hormone craze I have put 15 back on. Looking for supportive friends who aren't afraid to kick my but if I get lazy! :)
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    45 with over 100 to lose... feel free to add
  • Erinleigh13
    Erinleigh13 Posts: 56 Member
    m0nsterdad wrote: »
    I'm 45 this year!
    I started at 403lbs and lost approx. 36lbs before plateauing hard....since I started using MFP and being more active in my profile and community I started losing again and have lost more than 60 more lbs! I'm down to 317 and am liking life and myself a lot more these days....I'm proud of what I've accomplished and am grateful to all who encouraged me on and continue to do so!

Hind sight being 20/20....
    It wasn't as hard to do as I thought...I just had to get outta my own way.

That's amazing!!! Great job!!
  • Erinleigh13
    cj94404 wrote: »
    I am on my 13th straight day logging in and in that time lost 1lb. hoping to kick that up a notch but at least it's going in the right direction, right?!?!?

I keep telling that to myself. Not gaining is a win. But only 6 lbs in 6 weeks is frustrating. But I did plan on only 1 lb a week. Slow and hopefully steady.

As my friend keeps telling me "TRUST THE PROCESS"....u eat right, u work out...it will happen.
  • Erinleigh13
    shanday75 wrote: »
    Hey! I recently turned 40 in March. Boo AND hiss! I have 5 children ages 22, 17, 9, 4 and 2. oh IKR!! spread them babies out well. By the time my youngest graduates i will be dang near 60 :( Im insulin dependent diabetic since 2005 when i was preggo with #3 In Nov 2013 my #4 child was diagnosed with cancer one week after turning 3 yrs old :'( During her year long treatment i failed to take care of myself. three weeks ago i went to see my endocrinologist and she gut punched me when she said if i keep this up... i wont be around in ten years!!!! uhhh huh??? Im 5'7" and 211# the first week i logged and exercised i was down to 204. feeling fantastic. i have been working out three times a day faithfully and logging all my food and watching carbs. today i weighed for the first time in a week amd im back to 210?????? what in the sam heck??? my cheat days, once a week, i have a mcdonalds biscuit and hash brown... no other cheats. i feel like im working my butt off for nothing! granted my fasting blood sugars have fallen from 435 to 125! i give praise to that!!! I dont know what else to change.

Sorry for everything you have been through!! Sounds like you're on the right track though with your fitness. As I am already learning you have to "learn YOUR body" not everyone is the same. I wasn't really watching carbs but working out and watching everything else...nothing was happening. I have cut down the carbs A LOT and actually not as much working out over the last week and I have gone down! Just try out a few ideas at a work or so at a time and I am sure you will find the fit.
  • collinsjc2
    collinsjc2 Posts: 1 Member
    I hit 45 in May. Working to lose about 14 lbs more but mainly wanting to get back into shape so I have more energy. Energy and motivation seems to just drop off after 40. Ugh. I've dropped about 8 lbs since I got a Fitbit but I seem to fluctuate up and down about 3 lbs but haven't lost more than the 8 lbs.
  • Erinleigh13
    Anyone else have this problem? I can't make it to even 1200 calories a day...just not hungry. this has been something I have had a problem with FOREVER! I don't eat a lot, just haven't always chosen the right food to eat (high in carbs and no working out=fat). What can I do to get to where I need to be?
  • MorriCorvidae
    MorriCorvidae Posts: 5 Member
    42, over 100 to lose, but taking it really slowly - at least at first. Been logging in for a month now, and lost 3 (5 since last clinic weigh-in)! I've been a little less motivated this past ten days or so, and trying to find it again. Motivational and/or accountability buddies welcome!
  • wils5150
    wils5150 Posts: 149 Member
    I am 49 started in October at 185 currently at 147 with a goal of 135-140. already eliminated 1 diabetes pill hoping to get rid of the other one too.
  • shawnkonica
    shawnkonica Posts: 4 Member
    This helps a lot. Thanks for the advice. I am using the MF to keep up with my calories. My calorie intake is 1300. Idk how but I will stick to it!

My goal is actually 2400 calories for the day. But I did not lose anything until I got over 1300 and of course it has to reasonable food also.
  • shawnkonica
    shawnkonica Posts: 4 Member
    Anyone else have this problem? I can't make it to even 1200 calories a day...just not hungry. this has been something I have had a problem with FOREVER! I don't eat a lot, just haven't always chosen the right food to eat (high in carbs and no working out=fat). What can I do to get to where I need to be?

I had a similar issue...when I started. What worked better for me was to eat more calories earlier in the day. I also have a meal replacement in the morning for breakfast and then add some carbs for energy ( for me I eat granola). For me it took almost two months for my body to adjust. Again you have to stick to your ratios ( mine are set to 40% carbs 30% protein and 30% fat) those may not be right for you. You want to try to do it in 5 meals which I have not figured it out yet. I eat 3 + meals. I try to get the most calories for breakfast and lunch and a little less on the evening. I guess the theory is that you will burn more though out the day. It was hard for me at first because my mind was telling me do not eat to lose weight. This is simply not true. If you are eating the right food you can eat more of it and eventually you will not feel hungry unless you skip a meal. You are retraining your system. I eat a lot of chicken breasts personally and also throw in lean beaf and turkey burgers which are suprisingly high in protein. Of course you have your servings of vegetables and fruits. It takes time!!!
    I hope this helps a little!
    Shawn
  • gottapar1
    gottapar1 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm 47 and weigh in at 224 lbs, my heaviest. Want to get below 200 and see where it goes from there. Goal is to run in my first 5k this summer. Just have to get off the couch. Real hard for me to get going. Want to play with my kids more. Make my company softball team, yada, yada, yada. Going to take one hour at a time!
  • TheDevilDuckie
    TheDevilDuckie Posts: 4 Member
    49 here - have about 45 to go. I'm already down over 30 from when I first started making an effort, though it's been slow going. Helps that I've had my major health issues resolved & am able to start back exercising. :smile:

Feel free to add me - I can use the support and would be happy to return the favor.
  • KimF0715
    KimF0715 Posts: 114 Member
    I'll be 44 in July....I'm also a Kim 1971...lol. I have about 8 more pounds to lose out of the 15 I wanted to get rid of. Not too bad. But at this stage of my life I am finding it harder and harder to shed any pounds. Hormones....? Perimenopause...? I also have celiac disease, so on top of journaling and counting calories I also have to watch out for gluten. Lovely. My problem (I think) is that I NEED to exercise!!!! The bottom has fallen out and here comes gravity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kstenke
    kstenke Posts: 7 Member
    Kim_1971 wrote: »
    I'm new to MFP and just wondering - is it good to be consistently under calories or could under eating be actually causing reverse effect? Any thoughts

The one time I was really successful in steadily losing weight without having plateaus, I did 1500 calories a day 6 days a week. One day a week, I made sure to have at least 2300. I lost weight steadily and kept it off for several years. After getting used to 1500 a day, it was sometimes uncomfortable to do 2300, but I made sure to.

I think just having that one day a week at "normal+" calories tricks your body into thinking it's still regularly getting lots of food so that it doesn't start lowering your metabolism to compensate for your new diet.

44 here and also astonished to be 44. I have 46 pounds to goal, and hope to break the 200 mark tomorrow morning!
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    You can do this! I was about to turn 41 when I started to lose weight. I got up to 237 lbs, too much on my 5'3" frame. I am now 44 and have lost the 114 lbs I wanted to lose. Don't let anything stop you from reaching your goals. :-)
  • tashiros
    tashiros Posts: 36 Member
    Great job
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    kstenke wrote: »
    I'm new to MFP and just wondering - is it good to be consistently under calories or could under eating be actually causing reverse effect? Any thoughts

The one time I was really successful in steadily losing weight without having plateaus, I did 1500 calories a day 6 days a week. One day a week, I made sure to have at least 2300. I lost weight steadily and kept it off for several years. After getting used to 1500 a day, it was sometimes uncomfortable to do 2300, but I made sure to.

I think just having that one day a week at "normal+" calories tricks your body into thinking it's still regularly getting lots of food so that it doesn't start lowering your metabolism to compensate for your new diet.

44 here and also astonished to be 44. I have 46 pounds to goal, and hope to break the 200 mark tomorrow morning!

That's interesting. I think I need to reboot, I'm stuck in a long term plateau, so I've tweaked macros, I don't eat back my exercise cals. Problem is I'm on about 1400 a day and am reluctant to go much lower.
  • Kim_1971
    Kim_1971 Posts: 11 Member
    kstenke wrote: »
    I'm new to MFP and just wondering - is it good to be consistently under calories or could under eating be actually causing reverse

Way to go!! Celebrate your victory.