WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2015

Options

Replies

• Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Love the pictures today! Sylvia, you are as lovely outside as inside.
    Gail, metro ATL
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Evening Ladies,

Selena, my first cruise was in 2013 and I fell in love with it too. Like you say, what’s not to like? This will be my 4th and I have one scheduled for next February. I just hope the clothes I’ve bought for this one will still fit enough to be able to wear some of them in February. This buying a whole new wardrobe gets expensive even when shopping the bargains. The move sounds exciting even if it means packing. Just think, it’s an opportunity to weed out a few things you no longer need. Will it be to another state? Country? Planet? :*

Sylvia, so glad you slept well and are sounding good today. And glad DS is doing well. The cruise is with a dear friend that I haven’t seen in over 10 years, since her husband’s funeral. We were neighbors in Milwaukee and very close. She now suffers from some weird cancer of the blood that has no cure. She has had two bone marrow transplants and now does chemo every 3 weeks. She is doing well and will come down here for a visit, then we will go to Charleston to take a 5 day cruise. Charleston is on her bucket list, so we will spend a day there touring around. I’m so excited to see her and the cruise will give us time to really catch up.

Carol, NC, I guess your experience would be a life changing experience. OMG! That would scare the hell out of me. I think the worst thing about problems like that, is the total feeling of helplessness, in that you can’t do anything to stop it or change it. Glad you got to enjoy the “D” yesterday.

Heather, I got an email that my book shipped today and I should have it for my birthday. Woo hoo Plus if I don’t find the time to finish it, I’ll take it on the cruise and can advertise it to everyone on the ship. o:)

Katla, you mentioned the teacher appreciation treats they used to do. I understand years ago, but these days you’d think that groups would at least try to have something healthy when they put out a spread. That is my one complaint about the Women of the Moose. Half of them are dieting and some of us just eat healthy and most all the food is full of sugar or starches or both. *shakin’ head*

Mary, I like your idea about leaving up the tree and telling DB that she was waiting for Christmas with him. Lol I absolutely love Zumba, what little I’ve done but my back doesn’t like it. It is almost impossible to do without the twisting and that’s just a no no for me. I admit, I envy you with your wonderful lifting and exercising. I will say that Kickboxing and Zumba don’t sound so restful to me? :#

Pip, I’ll let you know how bad the words in the book are, as soon as I get it. Lol I can’t imagine they are bad enough for you or me, but we’ll see. She sure seemed concerned about it? Of course she doesn't know what kind of books we have been reading. >:) Tee hee hee Wow, you did score with the boss. What a guy!

Terri, that is so sweet that your reward is the looks on your patients faces. I think you should have had some balloons, flowers and a free lunch! We have a hummingbird feeder and get quite a few visitors. You have to really be looking at it to see them because they are so small and so fast, but what fun. If you consider trying it, I suggest a Google search to find out what months they are in your area. I don’t remember ever seeing one when we lived there, but then my memory is of 10 long, cold, snowy years. Lol Kudos on the movie passes.

Coleen, welcome. This is a wonderful group of supportive and very smart women. Please tell us a bit more about yourself to help us get to know you. Are you new to MFP? Come often and join right in the chat. We are happy to have you join us.

Vicki, I had to laugh about your DFIL and his year round tree. Did he hang eggs on it at Easter? Wow, I’m sure you are glad to get rid of those neighbors. How totally rude to dump the ashes in your yard. Have fun looking at the house with DS. I hope it’s what they are looking for.

Selena, what a great picture of the hummers. We get the green and gray and some with red breasts, but none like the brown guy with orange in his collar. How did you get so close or do you have a great zoom lens?

PJ, welcome. It sounds like you are off to a good start. Are you just starting? Come often and you will find this a great place for support and information.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I didn’t do too well with calories at lunch but it sure was good. Had a very nice visit with BFF then we went shopping and I shopped till I dropped. I have no way to know how to calculate it, but I know I burned some calories with all that shopping and trying on clothes. I just had a small hamburger patty for dinner, since DH did them on the grill. I didn’t even have a salad with it. It took me a while to catch up with all the posts from this morning. I don’t know how you ladies do it that work and only have time once a day to check in here. I’m off to bed so will wish you all a good night and hope you have a terrific day tomorrow. <3

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • SelenaP63
    SelenaP63 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Colleen I live in a remote area, so that's probably a huge point in my favor with the hummingbirds. I feel like it's almost a sanctuary for them because we have 5 feeders we fill every 24 - 36 hours x 10 sipping spots in each feeder... that's a lotta birds.

So the truth is, I'm at their beck and call and just use sugar and water (1-3c or 1-4c ratio, depending on how hot it gets... they don't seem to prefer one over the other). You can see I have the cheap Wal-Mart feeders. I found out they prefer to perch and like to sit still more often than not. All the beautiful feeders I've seen that please my eyes are not the ones they prefer, so there's that odd bit of advice. Oh, and a baby bottle brush is perfect for when you take apart the feeder and clean it before refilling.

And last, if you start getting overrun with them, you can expect payback. A couple of years ago, I realized they were keeping me really busy, buying sugar (probably 70lbs last summer) and mixing up their cocktail, and I decided it was high time they gave me a little sugar back. So before putting all newly filled feeders back out, I would take the bottom of one, put some syrup in it and sit outside with it in my hands. Yep, laundry has gone undone and meals uncooked because I was sitting outside while those awesome little birds sipped sugar water out of my hands. I've had four sitting on my fingers at one time and I've had to close my eyes because they fly so close to my face. It's an amazing experience.

Good luck with yours and let me know how it goes :)
    Selena
    Utah
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I stepped on the AMT for an hour. I surprised, I didn't work up that much of a sweat. Today I did a Bob Harper Inside Out Cardio DVD. The plan for to99igu0cb35bq.jpg
    morrow is to do the Personal Training with Jackie DVD.

Sylvia - it's sad but the fact is the the courts tend to side with the biological mother/legal wife. Let us know what the lawyer says. What does your son think about all this? Great looking pic

We were putting down grass seed most of yesterday and then using this hand aerator. Basically, it's this metal tube that had 4 spikes at the bottom. Today I vacuumed out the pool, put the rest of the Wet & Forget down on the deck, then Vince & I went to ceramics. Got the "citrus burst" part finished (at least the first coat) Go to take home my praying mantais. In the kiln there was something called "shaking" had to touch up a few little spots with acrylics, then have it sprayed and I could take it home. I thought for sure I had to put the clear coat on, but people put that on something that goes thru the dishwasher.

Jenni and Patricia and Bonn and tammi and Colleen (where in PA are you?) and PJ - welcome

Sylvia - I do hope the "password" works. Glad things are looking up

Margaret
    - I know there are programs out there where you can "color" the item to see what the finished product will be, but I also know that these programs are very expensive. Did you have someone else do it for you

Janet
    - I meant to write that I was doing stairstepping on the AMT not ATM. Sure would be nice if it gave cash, tho. Talk about incentive! Happy birthday to your friend

Karen - keep coming here for a daily does of motivation

Carey - whenever I've used pait or something like that, you've usually had to have a straight line, no curves. But I'll certainly look into it

terri - hope you had a good time at the movie

Janet
    - cute grandma post

Vicki - sorry you didn't get to see you brother, but you're right at least he phoned you this time. Congrats on the great weight loss

Selena
    - good luck to you! I think you were wise not to take the house.

Had a Newcomer borard meeting today (Wed)

Carol in NC - glad you decided to rest

pip - you ARE a pip!!!!! Congrats on the gift card

og7g1wt5aszg.jpgix9pxw2lte28.jpg
    img]

Michele in NC
  • exermom
    Options
    I could have sworn I attached a pic of the praying mantis. Don't know why multiple pics when random places, but here is the paying mantis:

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Pip - your boss is great! It must be nice to know that you are appreciated.

Janet - for me, my back feels worse if I don't twist it and move it. The kick boxing is controlled movements and there is a lot of stretching at the beginning and you slowly start and build the kick boxing moves kinda like yoga. You know your body and it will tell you what you can or can't do. It sounds like you had a good day with your BFF. It is fun to do a girls day.
    Selena - the picture of the humming birds is amazing, and your story is even better! My DB had a lot of feeders at his house. He decided to lie on his back and put syrup in his belly button. Sure enough they found it. My DB didn't last longer than a few seconds because it tickled too much. I'll have to see if I can find the pictures.

Michele in NC - your lady bug turned out very nice! I love the turtle it has a lot of possibilities for colors. I would like to see your preying mantis first before I suggest any colors. It never did show up on the site.

Well I am having serious technical difficulties with my phone. I just got a replacement today and that one is having the same issues. I was talking to tech support at Verizon for 2 hr they said it was a Samsung issue and patched me over to them. She remotely controlled my phone for 30 minutes then said I could send it in for repair I said I would like my money back. Not an option then she said have a nice day and hung up on me! I called Verizon back had to talk to the first person before tech support then tech support again 5 hours later I asked again for a different brand of phone, mine is only 5 month old and have had issues since I got it. He said no, I asked to talk to his supervisor, in the meantime my DH came home I handed him the phone as the tech came back on with his supervisor. My DH talked only 5 minutes, mentioned that he was a customer for 16 years and have their service for his business because it works better in our area, but the other companies have offered to buy out our contract. He said that if my wife can't use her phone then that is what I will have to do. I now have a brand new IPHONE 6+, otter box, and charger being overnighted to me. NOT happy though! I spent over 5 hours on the phone with them getting no where. My DH talks for 5 minutes I feel abused!
    Is it because he's a man? Or because I'm a woman?

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Don't know why but my mind is talkative tonight, sorry

Tammi, welcome. it sounds like you could teach us a lot. You have done very well. I know that I can get way laid in my life apart from my eating and my eating suffers. But then the scalles started showing some of those old numbers that I celebrating getting past and I don't want to see them. So right now I am one of you who are trying to get it on again.I know that there are several of the girls here that are good in kicking me in the butt.

Sylvia, so relived to hear your son is so much better. I would say that i was relieved that he is well enough to go home but these days they send people home who aren't anywhere close to going home. I didn't know your son had been married twice. I assume his present but soon to be ex is not living with him. It might actually make things better in his favor in the courts eye that this woman is not the biological mother and that she has a drinking problem.

Selena, such a wonderful outlook on life about finding a new journey. Traveling for a book? Is this something you have talked about before?? Sounds interesting. Your story of the hummingbirds actually sitting on your hands is wonderful. But did they ever poop in your hands??? :p

Mary Minnesota, no, we have a fake tree. We live in a bi-level home and the bathroom was not made right and is now a defunct bathroom. So basically a storage room with a very narrow door. So in my husbands glorious way of thinking, since the bathroom was ten feet closer than the storage room, it made sense to store the fake tree in the shower stall. And when it was yanked out of that shower stall every year it took me about an hour to reshape it. Well with our sewer chaos this winter, we had to completely clean out that defunct bathroom. When we were done my daughter and I managed to make sure we used the shower stall to organize some other things. So this year, well, yesterday, o:) we took it to the storage room. Novel idea huh???? I also managed to take 4 storage boxes with all my Christmas decorations and make one stuff we don't use and is broken and threw all the stuff away. The other is now to go to a yard sale some day. The storage area looks much better. See, procrastinators of the world. When you procrastinate, you have more time to think of better ways to do things. Way to go me!!!

Heather, see you are encouraging more of us to use Google, Wikipedia and other sites to see what you are talking about. You experience so many different things and we want to see what it is you are doing.

Vicki, when my girls were little we had a house down the street form us that left tree up all year long. It was decorated in all red and white for Valentines day, pastel colors for Easter, green for St Patricks day, orange and black for Halloween and beautiful fall colors for the fall and then typical Christmas. We all loved it. I have no idea if they had a regular tree for Christmas only. We have a house that I guess it is computerized but they have lights outside that changes colors according to season or holiday. Can't imagine what the electric bill is.

PJ, welcome. I love the covering you cat is on. Is it a quilt??? It reminds me of my counted cross stitch quilt but maybe that is embroidery.

ladies, watch out what happens on a cruise. I have only been on one and I came back pregnant. Well I woke up earlier than usual this morning. Since I could feel so many of you kicking me, I got on my bike before I got on my computer to play my face book games!!!! See what you did??? It helped also that when I got up that I weighed 2 pounds less! Yes Janet. You read it right, 2 p o u n d s. I never thought 186.2 would look so good but when I had seen 172 before, that was so beautiful. I don't think I will ever figure out the computing of allotted calories that MFP and/or Fit bit uses. MFP puts me at 1560/day. I try to keep it around 1300. My fitbit says I burned 1633 calories but it says I am in the red and MFP says that although I ate 1310 calories, I only had 90 left. I jsut eat and see what my eaten calorie level is and then weigh myself and go by what I look like. I knew by the fit in my jeans that I had picked some up.

i hope this works, It's for all the horse lovershttp://instinct.littlethings.com/instinct-of-color-horse-commercial/?utm_source=NAT&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=animals

Oh, my sister has shingles so when my brother comes into town she can't join us. Joyce, indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    Mary - just more leverage with the business! And they don't want him spreading the word through his business contacts. Some of us are lucky with our DHs! ! ! ! ! !

Heather x
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~ yes it is 3:30 in the morning, and yes I have been awake since 1 a.m.
    have had 2 cups of tea.. and have a load of laundry in the wash.. DH said I was cramping his style because I was up early, he has his routine in the morning lol..
    I am a little nervous about going to the car dealership,and maybe after that will come home and take a quick nap. so that I will be fresh for meeting my friend at the tea room..
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    Well had the interview with Tim,real wonderful guy.the person that was leaving ,isn't leaving now..but they might need someone else anyway...so here is hoping that it works in my favor. Where God closes a door he opens a window :)
  • exermom
    Options
    Did 40 minutes of Personal Training with Jackie DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to take my aluminum to the Humane Society and then take the deep water class.

Mary, I don't know why that preying mantis didn't show up! Last night just mulling over in my mind I was thinking of red white and blue for the turtle. What do you think? Fourth of July is in the summertime. SCORE on that new phone! At least you got it, that's the important thing

Joyce - that house that has the lights that are computerized might not have all that high an electric bill in all. I'll bet the lights are LED's. So sorry about your sister
    4of8p5g8j95a.jpg

Am going to try posting the pic of the preying mantis again. Hope it works this time

Michele in NC
  • exermom
    Options
    Yippee!!! It worked.

And no...I wasn't on drugs when I painted him.....lol

Michele in NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    Michele you are right you do need to have some kind of program to experiment with colors of your turtle. The picture am having reframed they did at the store. The roof was when I looked up shingles and they did not use our house but you still got a better idea of what the color would look like than a sample. Because of these experiences I know the technology is out there.

DH takes care of our hummingbird feeder. He bought one that looks like a saucer that comes apart and can be put in the top rack of the dishwasher. The feeders do get moldy if not cleaned regularly and will turn off the birds. We were at a nature preserve, and they had the same one. The birds do perch when they feed with this one. I have many flowers in our garden that also attracts them so I think that helps to draw them into our yard. I do believe we have repeat customers from year to year because sometimes they come up to our window looking for the feeder before we get it out. They do live several years.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • lemony57
    lemony57 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's the first time I have seen this group. I enjoyed reading many of your posts, struggles and victories. I have been on and off MFP for several years. I'm on again because I need to be accountable for my eating and exercise. I've always done this privately and maybe that's why I've gone off course. So I'm reaching out to all of you to say hello!
    Have a great day everyone, just a few more days of April left, enjoy!
    Mel
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I thoroughly enjoyed seeing and reading about the hummingbirds. I've considered getting a feeder for my patio, but I'm afraid Spot might think I had set up a feeding station for HER!

Thanks for all of the comments on my PE story. It was an incredibly scary time in my life!

I am both excited and nervous today because I finally am seeing an orthopedist about my shoulder (and the rest of my joint pain). The pain in my shoulder woke me up last night. Not only was it the severity of the pain, but it also made it almost impossible to turn over to get out of bed to make a most urgent trip to the potty. I was terrified I was going to wet the bed before I could maneuver out of it! I hope that he will tell me there is an easy fix. Hahahahaha!

Michele - I love your ladybug and praying manits! I envision your turtle with shades of purple, pink, lime green, and orange, but that is probably just my early hippie/late preppy coming out. All of those little "squares" with the lines just scream for interesting colors to me!

Welcome to the newbies!

I ate well yesterday but didn't make all of my steps. I didn't get home until 8:45 p.m. and, by the time I inhaled some food and glanced at the mail and the paper (from Tuesday!), I wanted to do nothing but go to bed. So, I did. It felt so good to just BE for a little while! I am finishing up "Why is it Always About You?" while I wait on my delivery of "The Happiness Project" and "Younger Next Year." To save money, I buy used books when possible. The downside is that they take a bit longer to get to me. That segueway made perfect sense to me because I read in bed every night before I go to sleep...

Okay, I am off to get some work done! Have a great day filled with even better choices!

Carol in a perfect Spring day NC

• SelenaP63
    SelenaP63 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Janet - I was probably only a couple of feet away from the hummingbirds and trying out a new setting on my camera. I take so many pictures, the odds are in my favor of getting a few great shots. The little guy in brown and orange is a Rufous (I think, although "cannot be reliably separated from Allen's in the field without extensive experience and a good view of the tail feathers through a scope" say the experts). They are the most aggressive hummers we have, and they sound different. I can close my eyes and tell if it's one of them vs. the others.

Michele - Love your projects and the fun colors you use. I'm sure your turtle will be a masterpiece like the others.

Joyce - DH and I wrote a book together and its release date is July 14. That's actually why I'm on MFP...I know there will potentially be a lot of photos taken and as my DH so aptly puts it, "Nobody wants to see two fat people in love." And aren't you the practical one to consider the hazard of hummingbird poop? Let me tell you, of all the poop I've been around (and I've been around a lot of poop in my day), it is my favorite because it is so teeny. And consider their diet... might be like tiny sugar sprinkles?

Mary - Well, your DB had an experience I don't expect to have. I can't imagine what that feels like and am pretty sure it would be like an earthquake for those little guys to have a giant human laughing while they're just trying to get their buzz on. :)

Ok, girls, I've got a ridiculous day ahead that includes teaching archery and I've been having so much fun reading your posts that I don't have much time to go and exercise! So I must leave you all for now, but wish you all a most successful day!
    Hugs (because they're therapeutic)
    Selena
    Utah
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone... welcome all the newbie people.

Well... lets see where was I ? I have finally finished all the tests involved in my annual checkup and reviewed them with Dr. .... so the results of the x-ray of my foot showed my little toe was broke...REALLY!! I knew that ..when did I break it? Oh probably 10 years ago.... Doctor said it didn't heal right.. the bones didn't join back together... does it bother me - NO. Okay she said ... referred me to an actual Podiatrist to see if he can figure out what the pain is that radiates across the top of my foot. Dr. figures it is the bunion that is causing the toes to move over and crowd each other. I already wear a wider shoe and orthotics... which have seen at least 700 miles. Need new shoes and probably different orthotics. So enough of that....as long as I don't walk around my house in my bare feet my foot doesn't hurt.

Raining here today, so it will be much easier to get some of those awful chores done... you know the ones like.. company bookkeeping... pay bills.... filing....clean the desk in the home office so DH can find something... or anything while I am gone for the weekend. Oh and I best make a little bit of food so he has something to eat while I am gone because he sometimes can't find ANY food in the house!!! MEN !!!

Need to pack up for the scrapbooking retreat this weekend. Leaving Friday be back on Sunday.... so I will try check in on everyone to see how you are doing.

Gotta get a move on

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Carol - GA: I was wondering what contests Terri wins in as well.

TNToni - Count me in on the PA club!

Love the hummingbirds! I've never seen them land like that. In my experience they usually eat from feeders while they are hovering. Thanks for the story on them Selena.

Michele: Love your ladybug and praying mantis. There are a number of free photo editing software such as GIMP etc. Maybe you could just print your photo on plain paper and use pencil crayons to see if you like what it turns out like. (Definitely easier than trying to learn photo software!)

Alison: Hope that your perseverance at the car dealership will pay off. Sounds like it would be a great place to work!

First day without a headache in 10 days and my nose isn't as sore... must be on the mend.

Thought for the day: "How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world ." –Anne Frank (or themselves) :*

Carey-Edmonton
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    morning peepheads:

SELENA - that is cool with the birdies!!

fanncy - you need to get a lil mexican in ya... i woulda had a new phone in 3 min!!

exermom - yeah, i can feel a lil drug action on that mantis painting... suuurreeee you were straight, suuurrreeeee.

well, today, I didn't ride all the way in from the gym, I weenied out. wasn't in the mood. so it won't be close to a 1000 calorie burn day for me today, I did do it for the last 5 days in a row tho, so that was cool, this is the terrain when I ride from the gym to work.
    llq1exxkv0iv.png

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    oh, and another thing - it took me almost 4 months to finish a bag of steel cut oats at 1/4 cup per serving. is that crazy or what!