WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2015

Options

Replies

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    good morning ladies. Desktop won't connect to internet again, so I"m on my baby travel laptop.

Love all the talk about meeting up, weather it's on a face chat program, transporter or real time meeting at a central location. Barbie, you know some of us aren't walkers, so I may have to bring a wagon and be pulled along. :p Sylvia, I have to be in the right mood to cook but will give it a shot. If we plan it far enough ahead to save up, I really would be up for a real meeting in a central location. Or maybe a cruise together. Would just love to meet as many of you as possible.

Carol, good for you in becoming a social butterfly.
    Heather, I know what you mean, but it just sound funny that someone is crying watching a marathon.
    Allison, glad Tom made it safely and hope he will chill today. Can't believe you are still that cold.

I've just started Heather's book and really enjoying it so far. I have mixed emotions beccause I want to keep reading it and yet I would love to have it to read on the cruise. But it's not for another 2 weeks and I'm sure I'll be finished by then if I can find the time to read.

I have to get in some exercise, cook/bake something to take to the Installation this afternoon and then get ready. I'm going to wear one of my new outfits that I really like. ;)

I hope you all have a wonderful day. <3

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Janet: I like this idea: “I think it would be fantastic if we could all meet up someplace. I know I would love to meet everyone. Maybe Vegas would be a somewhat central location for the US ladies. And a fun place too." This tickled my funny bone: "Sorry, there is not a central location for the worldly members of the losers.” It is a fun wish. I think Hawaii would be good for the folks from Down Under and the Pacific Rim girls. I haven’t been there since I was a teenager, but it is lovely. Others might be motivated to get there, too. A cruise ship would suit some. I’d like to borrow the transporter from the Enterprise, which was also a suggestion from someone else. Perhaps we could visit several locations that way and have a world tour. Everyone could share their favorite places.

Joyce: Put out ant traps. They’ll go into the ant trap and carry the poison back to the nest. Eventually they disappear. The ant traps are pet friendly. The pets don’t get into it at all. When we’ve had ants, we’ve put the traps along every trail where we’ve seen them.

Heather: Regarding the Top Chef winner’s desire to go on to a career in food, even though he is the custodial parent of young children, it can be done. My own grandmother did it after she was widowed. She started out working at lunch counters and ended up owning a successful restaurant. At the time her husband died, the two youngest kids were 11 and 12. I think it would be much more difficult with preschoolers. I wonder if there is a helpful grandma to pitch in.

I bought a hanging fuchsia yesterday and put it beside the kitchen window. It looks lovely there, but I’m not sure I want to leave it there as that particular spot is extremely windy at times and the last two fuchsias I put there did not do at all well. It is between my house and my neighbor’s and seems like it is in a wind tunnel. I’d love suggestions for a pretty hanging plant that handles wind well. I’ll likely move this plant to a spot on the deck where the breeze has a better chance to disperse.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back
    strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png

• peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Beautiful weather here today. I walked the Pom for about 1/2 mile. He got slower and slower as we went along so I think that was enough. I will try to walk another 1/2 mile this PM. So disgusted! Tried on a blouse that I wore to my son's wedding and it was too tight to zip up. Need to get back on the losing track. After eating pizza for breakfast. LOL

Everyone have a great day.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,275 Member
    Options
    Phew! Just made a fondant icing octopus and a whale! They are not brilliant, but will have to do. I am waiting for the pirate candles to arrive, but the reviews say they are quite small. :ohwell:
    My icing was rather old and dried out, so I was a bit of a job. By the time they are buried in butter cream I don't think it will matter. ;) I have found some old butterflies and flowers I made for previous cakes so will be able to put those on the island. Still don't know what day the party is. ¿¡*÷¥*¡¿

Going to look up train times now for my trip to Nottingham.

Heather in the silence left by DH at cricket. :laugh:
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Mary MN: I believe you need both a pump and pressure tank. Pump from well to pressure tank, pressure tank to hot water tank and cold water supply. I can check with my dad for specifics if you'd like. Let me know.

Beth: You can do it! New day... new start

Gilly: I've been to Ireland - it was my first international trip ever and I went with a native so I actually saw a lot of the country. I've heard of the Isle of Wight and Isle of Man but not Lindesfarne. I'll have to do some research.

Cynthia: What a wonderful pic. Looks like a fantastic place to rest and recharge.

Barbie: It's so great to have friends like that. You are definitely blessed.

MMinMD: So happy that you've broken through that plateau.

Chris: What a lovely NSV. It is great to know that some stores actually care about the customer and customer service.

Allison: Sorry to hear about diverticulitis... that is NOT fun. Hope you get the infection under control quickly!

Selena: You take great pic's. Are you sure you don't want to be a photographer when you grow up? Oops that right you've already started a new career as an author. :smile:

Joyce: I've heard that you mix Borax with icing sugar and put it on window sills etc or wherever they seem to be coming in. Borax is found in the laundry detergent area of shopping centres. Apparently Wal-Mart carries it.

Hauled out my recumbent bike. Apparently since I've shrunk it's too big for me even at it's shortest setting. So now I've got cushions behind it. Pip thanks for the instructions, I was wondering why it made my knees hurt worse. I can only manage 10 minutes but that's better than nothing.

I'd love to meet with everyone as well. I'm good with Vegas but a cruise ship would be lovely too...especially if it was travelling somewhere warm!

Thought for the day: Don't watch the clock; do what it does. Keep going. ~ Sam Levenson

Carey-Edmonton
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Lindesfarne is the most amazing early Christian community, now linked by a floodable causeway to the mainland. One of the founders is buried in Durham cathedral, my very favourite cathedral and the site of an episode in a new novel I am writing. A wonderful illuminated manuscript was created there and later the site was pillaged by an early Viking raid. One of my favourite sites on earth. :love:
    Heather x
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,068 Member
    Options
    This is how the painting looked with the original mat.lhw0hgaqxf9j.jpg

This is how is looks now. It was fun to bring a piece back to life. I found the perfect place to hang it. It was painted in 1891.kjvzd56rs8yo.jpg
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited April 2015
    Options
    halaenhjzdoe.png

Two comments by DH. <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,137 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Beautiful day here. We will be working on things in and out of the house. We decided to lower the price of our house 10,000. We both agreed that we really want to sell.

Allison - The pizza sounds delicious. I still enjoy food that I love, but I make sure to count the calories and stay within my calorie count. Eat at a deficit and exercise you will lose. I had french silk pie yesterday and today and tomorrow, but I eat clean otherwise. I know that I would lose more quickly with out the sugar but I would cheat and beat myself up. This is a lifetime change and I want to still lose. Sometimes I sacrifice healthier food choices for my sweet tooth, but always eat at a deficit and exercise! You know what works for you!

DeeDee - thanks for the information on how to keep ants out of my house. does the garlic have to be refreshed occasionally and always there?

Heather - you are very lucky to be treated that way! Funny about your team being different than that of your husband! Don't forget to send us a picture of that cake.

Sylvia - I don't know how face time or Skype works but that would be fun. I do know that you can have telephone conference call with more than one person.

Barbie - I don't think that there is time to walk on the transporter, it is like Doctor Who it is immediate from one place to the next. but would love to have the poodle along.

Janet - I think it would be fun to all meet up in real life. Isn't it nice to be able to wear your new outfit!

Katla - I'm down for anywhere! do the ant traps work? I put ant poison on my counter last year and have been in fear of having it get into my food now. It got flipped over and all over my counter. so every time I wash my culture a put the wash cloth in the machine right away. To piggy back on your plant that does well in wind I need one that can hang and do well in direct sunlight.

Carey - you are right we do have both a pump in a pressure tank. and it is only our hot water that doesn't have good pressure. Love the thought for the day.

MNMargaret - Wow! That is a beautiful picture.

Have a great day everyone!
    Mary from Minnesota
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,742 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    what a wonderful time I had with my dad ..spent about 4 hours with him and he was just thrilled at the air museum .. alot of walking.. and my darn fit bit I think has bit the dust :# I have had it about a year..
    so no counting but know I am over 10,000 steps because I have walked the dogs twice around the block and been out watering grass, and the air museum was HUGE... took him to Denny's afterward where we both had senior grilled cheese and fresh fruit..
    bought him an air museum t-shirt and a cessna keychain as that is the kind of plane he used to own... the dogs are fed and walked, laundry done.. now I am going to put my feet up and relax...ldtat2zyz7fw.jpg
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Margaret - I like that picture. How nice to have such a treasure!

Alison - so glad you had that time with your father. I bet he had a flood of memories seeing all the airplanes.

We had a neat surprise today. My cousin and her husband were passing through Atlanta on their way back home from a short trip, so they connected and we were able to meet up. Spent a couple of hours together visiting. If the potential position works out for him they might even be moving to south Georgia. We shall see.

Spent yesterday afternoon doing household chores, except for the bill paying which is today. In the evening we went to a birthday celebration for DS#1's sweetheart. Had some delicious Cuban food and festive company - a successful outing with both families.

I just had to cut more irises to bring inside this afternoon. The stems were so heavy they were on the ground and a couple of them were broken at the base. (I know you feel sorry for me... ;) )

Well, I'd best get on to setting up the bill pay for the first of the month. Those creditors get so cranky if you don't feed them on time.

Gail, metro ATL
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Mary, this is what I use to get rid of ants. It works for us. I put each trap on the floor out of foot traffic in areas where I've seen ants. The dog is not interested in them and is safe. We don't have young kids. It takes a few days for the ants to disappear.

http://www.soap.com/p/raid-ant-bait-red-box-value-pack-50969?site=CA&sku=ASJ-022&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_S&utm_campaign=GooglePLA&utm_content=pla&ca_sku=ASJ-022&ca_gpa=pla&ca_kw=&cvosrc=Google.google.ASJ-022&cvo_crid=60815991894&CAWELAID=1323218494&kpid=ASJ-022
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,596 Member
    Options
    another busy day!! just got home for a minute-
    stats for the day:
    jog- 41.54min, 8.23ap or min. mi, 1.4mi @6.8speed, 1.4mi @7.0sp, 1.4mi @7.2sp, 1.4mi @7.4sp, .6mi @8.0-8.5speed -5mi = 454c
    jog- 10.25min, 10.26ap or min. mi, .5mi @5.7sp 2 incline, .5mi @ 6.0sp 5 incline - 1mi = 148c
    stretch- 10min = 33c
    total cal 632
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,596 Member
    Options
    i am tired! my calves are saying, "helllooooooo", my abs are saying, "forgot we were here huh!!!!!" lololol, gotta go get milk, fill up the beast w/gas and come home and make gruel for kirby. i don't think I've even had 300 calories in me so far, gotta shove something in my face and go get the milk and gas.
  • mdhoskins2015
    mdhoskins2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone..will lose 10-15 lbs in April..upping my exercise..
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Mary :) I put the garlic out just once. It has been at least 3 years ago, maybe more. I don't know if it matters, but these were the little bitty ants, they were very interested in Noel's dog food. That's the only place I ever saw them. Once I put the garlic out, I had to step on the ones that couldn't get out :s . If you try it, I hope it works as well for you as it did for me! Wishing you the best of luck in your selling your house!

Margaret :) Absolutely beautiful painting, what a treasure!!! The frame is awesome!!!

Alison :) Great pic of your dad!!! I'm so glad you both had a good time! I've had my Fitbit for about 3 years...its the old Ultra, and I love it!!! I have never had a problem with it, thought I lost it once :# , but found it in my robe pocket!

Gail :) I was in Atlanta not long ago, one of my favorite places. I was only there for 2 days though, and those days were packed. Next time I come down, maybe I'll have time to have coffee or lunch with you...I would love that! I'm guessing you're all recovered from your surgery earlier this year? I bet those irises look and smell wonderful!

I spent most of the afternoon trying to restore my iPad, it decided last night to die....there was nothing that could be done for it. I bought a new one and found out because I did not back up my iPad like I should have, I lost a lot of data :'( , moral of this story...back up often!!!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful relaxing day!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC where the sun has finally decided to shine!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,137 Member
    Options
    Katla - thanks for the information. That should work inside on my counters.

DeeDee - I am going to put that around the outside of our house. We have a lot of ants with our sandy soil. I wouldn't have to worry about picking up the garlic if people were coming to look at the house. Then I can use the traps inside if the ants make it past the barrier. Sorry to hear about your IPad. Do you have the Icloud? Can that back up automatically like IVerizon?

Pip- no wonder you hurt! Look at those impressive stats!

Mary from Minnesota

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone. I'm Lisa, introducing myself to the 50+ for April, and will set new goals for May. Was tracking on paper through April 24, but on travel for business through the 28th so started looking for something electronic.

Went back to MFP because a friend was using it. I'd tried it some years back, but fell off the wagon. April has been a good month, but stalled at the moment, long story.

I live in West Texas, but am in Dallas for a couple days, back home to where I can see the stars again Tuesday night, not soon enough!

Back to my nurse practitioner on Wednesday to check in on my weight loss--she won't be happy with the beginning, but it's always like that at the beginning... sharp drop, and then the stalls begin, which is where I am now.

Weight loss graph image to date: stretch goal is just to get below my 6' tall husband's weight (I'm 5'2"), but would be very happy with 2 pounds avg. loss a week for first 90 days, eventual goal to take off 75 pounds over the course of a year, then bring calories up to maintenance. More to come in May. I'll keep reading. Best to all!

ra5rp790n8up.jpg
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    Quick check in. The weekend has been taken up with church stuff and I still have to prepare for Calculus. It is getting easier. Just 4 more classes! I have my last weekend of church leadership training next weekend with a big group project presentation due. That's what I was working on all day yesterday. I don't know when I'll get it all done, but I'm thinking about applying to be a facilitator at a math teacher academy this summer.

I am an idiot! My DH is right. I need to fire my social secretary.
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Monday here.
    Had 2 wonderful walks on 2 beaches with Stan and Blaize on Sunday. We played ball and Blaize ran and played in surf. He just LOVES the beach. Lovely sunny autumn day.
    Today food = 2159 (a bit high himself wanted fosh and chips for tea, home cooked so only 1 fish for me) training = Bobs' Ripped Core and Jeannette's bikini boot-camp II and 1 hour dog walk = ~666 cals.
    Still working out spreadsheets for Tom's May challenge
    Lesley in Tasmania