runner475 wrote: »
    adamitri wrote: »
    adamitri wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I dont eat purified sugar... I cook from scratch and when I rarely bake I use fruits or a little honey to sweeten

I don't have a sweet tooth, already liked dark chocolate like to eat iwth with a bit of salt on it :)

I do eat refined sugar in baked goods / foods ... I cook from scratch and when I bake I use the recipe

I don't have a particularly sweet tooth either and I like dark chocolate .. and salted caramel and ice cream bars omnomnom

what I do is watch my overall calories, my protein intake and my fibre .. the rest can just fall where it falls ... weight loss and maintenance should be how you can live for life

Neither the OP nor the poster you quoted ever mentioned their worries about "weight loss" or "maintenance"

Isn't it cool how we always assume people must be concerned about certain things when they aren't?

isn't it cool how some people love to referee the forums...

last time I checked you were allowed to express an opinion in an open, public, forum, regardless of topic...

Sure but at least be on the topic and answer what the OP is asking. Isn't this thread about the OP. I thought so.

Thought so what? So people cannot give a personal opinion on the forums now?

Did you even read the entire post. No one is saying not to give personal opinion but at least stick to what the OP has asked. Won't you.

That's exactly what you're saying though. Because she talked about how she took in sugar and thought it was okay to have while maintaining and losing weight, you're saying that it's wrong.

I want you to throw in a post from OP where they have used these words "maintaining" "losing weight". Can you post the exact quote from OP's comments with those words. Because I searched and I didn't find them.

Well according to OP's profile she wants to lose 60 pounds....sooooo....yeah.

OP - I'm not sure why you need to buy a cookbook to reduce your sugar intake? If you want to stick to more nutrient dense sources of sugar, reduce cookie intake? Like someone pointed out, you aren't going to find many recipes in there that you wouldn't find searching the internet. I don't add a cup of sugar to my dinner recipes even if I'm not low carbing.

I like being polite especially since I'm here regular.

It's highly recommended to not come here constipated.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    oh lord, here we go.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I am really surprised at the negativity in some of these posts. I have gone sugar-free many times, both with and without natural alternatives such as raw honey, and my body really responds well to being sugar-free. It makes me feel better all over for as long as I keep it up.
    Then keep it up. No one is saying not to.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I am really surprised at the negativity in some of these posts. I have gone sugar-free many times, both with and without natural alternatives such as raw honey, and my body really responds well to being sugar-free. It makes me feel better all over for as long as I keep it up.

but honey has sugar in it...

and I am assuming by sugar free you mean no bread, fruit, vegetables, etc..?
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »

That's the point. You aren't really going sugar free. Honey, even raw, organic, gmo free, gluten free, and dairy free honey is still sugar.
    Also, bee barf.

• kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    You have to love Mondays!

Not much I can add to this thread but there is one comment I would like to make to the poster who is juicing...you stated that you have PCOS...I too have PCOS. Stay AWAY from the juice! It's mostly sugar. Many women with PCOS find that their bodies do not handle carbs very well (sugar=carbs) and many end up being insulin resistant or diabetic. It is not "added sugar" you have to be concerned about but your overall daily intake of carbs. If it made you feel better but cutting stuff out then that's awesome and good for you! I personally believe that moderation is the key to long term success but I do concede that some people have "trigger foods" and they find they are most successful when totally eliminating the temptation.
  • BenjaminS_Fitness
    BenjaminS_Fitness Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    just *kitten* get to a deficit and make shure to get a majority of your cals from healthy sources.
    don't make fat loss more difficult than it is.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

That's the point. You aren't really going sugar free. Honey, even raw, organic, gmo free, gluten free, and dairy free honey is still sugar.
    Also, bee barf.

Tasty bee barf.

But then I like dairy too! ;-)
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Also, bee barf.

Tasty bee barf.

A couple of bee barf sandwiches and some cow lactation make a pretty good snack.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Also, bee barf.

Tasty bee barf.

Dairy's not quite as gross. Unless it's yogurt, then it's bacteria barf.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    What about agave nectar? Is that anyone's barf?
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Not much I can add to this thread but there is one comment I would like to make to the poster who is juicing...you stated that you have PCOS...I too have PCOS. Stay AWAY from the juice! It's mostly sugar. Many women with PCOS find that their bodies do not handle carbs very well (sugar=carbs) and many end up being insulin resistant or diabetic. It is not "added sugar" you have to be concerned about but your overall daily intake of carbs. If it made you feel better but cutting stuff out then that's awesome and good for you! I personally believe that moderation is the key to long term success but I do concede that some people have "trigger foods" and they find they are most successful when totally eliminating the temptation.

I've heard monitoring your should monitor your carb intake as well. I have PCOS and so far have been lucky to not have to cut them yet but the time might be coming soon.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    Agave not used in tequila is an abomination unto this world.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I did a juice "Detox" once where all you drink are these premade fresh juices for three day. They are comprised of real fruits and veggies, not one of those OTC or GNC juice detoxes. The one I ordered was from Squeezed Online. It was supposed to alleviate your food addictions (mine is sugar). I felt great after the detox, like some one had hit the reset button, but it didn't last more than a few months before I slowly started cycling artificial sugar back into my diet. This time around I'm just going to try every day to have less sugar than the previous day.

Addressing a "sugar addiction" by drinking only juice makes no sense. A juice fast is full of sugar.

It makes complete sense as long as you buy into hype over logic.
    When I want to look like either of you, then perhaps I'll take your trolling advice.
    The OP asked a question, I responded with my experience which obviously you didn't read in its entirety. Anywho, I enjoyed the juices, I bought a juicer to make my own, and I would recommend it. If you don't subscribe to that notion, more power to you. There are more than one ways to meet your fitness goals and the method I like may not be the one you like. Either way I'm happy with my body, just as I'm sure you're happy with yours. So since we've established that I feel there is nothing more to discuss. Have a great day!

There is more than one way to meet your goals, but there isn't more than one set of facts.
    Take it how you want it, but I feel better when I eat less candy bars and cake. I find it humorous that you are so much of a troll that you would find something to argue about in that statement. You'd think all that junk food you're advocating would make you just a little sweeter on the inside, I guess not. :neutral:
    So like I've said over and over and over, my goal is to eat less of this stuff. Why you have such an issue with my personal fitness goals, I have no idea. I guess that's just the nature of a troll. Maybe when you start seeing the results you'd like to see, you'll be a little happier with yourself and a little less of a jerk.

Just because people disagree doesn't make them trolls.

I'm not arguing that you feel better when you eat fewer candy bars and cake. I rarely eat them myself, so I can understand. Nobody has an issue with your personal fitness goals. Every single statement so far (that I've seen) has been simply about the misinformation that you're attempting to spread.

I'm happy with my results. I'm not sure why you are projecting so much, but would you like to keep this conversation about the facts and leave the personal stuff out of it? Or is the personal stuff what you prefer to focus on?
    Please take a moment to review the OP's original question, and then review my response. Now please tell me how your sugar advocacy has anything to do with either of these? OP asked questions pertaining to their goal of reducing the amount of sugar they consume. OP had a goal, you don't agree with that goal because it's not your goal so you bash everyone who also shares this goal. How is that behavior you can defend?
    Nobody cares why you think eating excessive amounts of junk is just fine, because after all you're just a stranger on the Internet. OP was asking questions related to their goal, not asking you to weigh in on why you thought their goal was stupid.
    I responded with my experience related to this goal and the trolls of MFP decided to attack me for juicing and for saying next time around I'm just going to try to eat a little less sugar than the day before. Both my experiences and opinions, which are what was requested.
    I've been a member of MFP for a few years now and every time I venture into the forums I'm disappointed that they've been taken over by trolls such as yourself. It didn't used to be this way here and it's sad that this isn't the supportive environment it could be.
    The funny part is I'm a member of another popular fitness communitity with the mantra of "no excuses" where every one supports each other and there is no trolling, and guess what? Everyone is thriving and meeting their goals. Positive attitudes and support count for way more than your trolling and googling. Just because some one else is succeeding doesn't mean you're failing, you don't have to be so negative just because my methods to success are different from yours.
    Have a nice day.

I agree with her - there might be finite details on the issue of juicing without pulp, but the fact remains that processed foods that contain sugar have less chewing resistance and therefore contribute to a higher blood sugar count - which then allows that food to be turned into fat very quickly, versus a piece of fruit.

I agree with her assertion that the forums are toxic in nature - and there are a few people who just endear themselves to not understanding the Dale Carnegie method of dealing with the world.

The issue is not whether we should all be friends. The issue here is protocol. We are all weak, I am weak and succumb to a weakened sense of civility - but overall when I see the same people responding in the same vitriolic manner over and over again, it does give me great pause and I wonder WHY.

Just be civil and move on. She deserves better treatment than that. A gentleman would most assuredly treat others with respect - not with malice, vitriol and despicableness.

I think if MFP Premium is to be introduced, anyone wishing to participate in the forums should pay a membership fee to do so. In fact, I will inquire on that - that may remove much of the vitriol that exists in the forums and allow for more discourse overall.

She's not going to have sex with you.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

But tequila does make some people barf...so there's a correlation
  • DeguelloTex
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

But tequila does make some people barf...so there's a correlation
    There was that time with the eight 32-ounce Happy Hour margaritas, but we speak of it only in hushed tones.
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options

I agree completely with watching the carbs (even healthy ones). Our bodies don't react the same to carbs. I juice because honestly I enjoy it and I see less hormonal acne when I have a glass of juiced fruits and veggies every day. Would I do a juice fast again? Probably not because I don't think it's necessary, but it wasn't so bad and it got me interested in making my own juices.
    I subscribe mostly to the theory that as long as I'm under my daily alotted calories then I don't sweat what I eat too much, but eating the cookies, candies etc puts me over so I'm trying to cut back on the amount I'm eating. I have a huge sweet tooth and it's something I've made a goal to get under control because I just FEEL BETTER when I eat less of the junk. I can eat a bowl of strawberries with some redi-whip for under 60 calories whereas a candy bar will set me back a cool 280 which I'll gobble down quickly and then regret because I didn't enjoy it THAT much.
    So at the end of the day all the "internet science" people are providing to disprove my theory that I feel better with less junk food in my system really doesn't matter to me. It just matters that I see and feel a difference. :smile:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I agree completely with watching the carbs (even healthy ones). Our bodies don't react the same to carbs. I juice because honestly I enjoy it and I see less hormonal acne when I have a glass of juiced fruits and veggies every day. Would I do a juice fast again? Probably not because I don't think it's necessary, but it wasn't so bad and it got me interested in making my own juices.
    I subscribe mostly to the theory that as long as I'm under my daily alotted calories then I don't sweat what I eat too much, but eating the cookies, candies etc puts me over so I'm trying to cut back on the amount I'm eating. I have a huge sweet tooth and it's something I've made a goal to get under control because I just FEEL BETTER when I eat less of the junk. I can eat a bowl of strawberries with some redi-whip for under 60 calories whereas a candy bar will set me back a cool 280 which I'll gobble down quickly and then regret because I didn't enjoy it THAT much.
    So at the end of the day all the "internet science" people are providing to disprove my theory that I feel better with less junk food in my system really doesn't matter to me. It just matters that I see and feel a difference. :smile:

Nobody has said that or are trying to disprove your theory. Everyone is saying.....the sugar is the same between "junk food" and juices....that's it. You're reading way more into this than needs to be.

Lulz at "internet science" jab at those who do their research.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited April 2015
    Options

Eat it if it makes you feel better, but I would raise the issue that it may be affecting your cognitive function. You repeatedly respond to arguments no one has made and repeatedly ignore it when people point out that sugar is sugar, whether it's in an apple or a Snickers.
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Nobody has said that or are trying to disprove your theory. Everyone is saying.....the sugar is the same between "junk food" and juices....that's it. You're reading way more into this than needs to be.

Lulz at "internet science" jab at those who do their research.

Research PCOS, PCOS diets and PCOS reversal.
    Have a nice day.