Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    81Katz wrote: »
    I see too many drivers on their phones swerving and weaving about. It's like DUH, hang up the d-mn phone already. Drives me nuts. Sure, there are other distractions in a car, people with you, the radio, etc. But I still think cell phones have to be THE worst. I cannot talk on a phone and drive at the same time, I just can't.

My husband is an over the road truck driver. He watches people on their devices while driving all the time. He says the worst offenders are the cops.

Here they're allowed to be on their phones.

Yet there are laws here that prohibit "distracted driving". My husband is an offender. He is a sales rep and will talk on the phone while driving through Bluetooth but still texts and drives. It drives me bonkers b/c he says "it is part of his job". I just pray nothing ever happens. I have tried to get him to stop but he refuses.
    Freidon wrote: »
    LouisaM162 wrote: »
    My confession is that I compare myself to every woman I see. When I am out and about I am always eyeing up the other women I see and thinking "I am thinner" or "she is thinner than I am". It drives me crazy because it takes away from regular interactions, it is kind of petty and stupid and extremely vain but I do it all the time.

I do the exact same thing. I hate to promote the stereotype of women being insecure about their looks, and it's something I can't really explain to my SO without sounding vain, but it's definitely true in my case.

It's part of why I have a slight phobia of malls, actually. Crowded, open spaces bother me anyways, and if it's a ritzy mall where every girl is dressed up with perfect hair and has a perfect body, I want to crawl in a hole and disappear. Meanwhile, I have no problems shopping at lower-class stores where half of the shoppers are significantly overweight and the other half are wearing pajamas.

I have a phobia of fancy hair salons/spas. I feel so frumpy - I can't do makeup well (and I'm lazy) and I can't do anything with my hair so I don't feel like I'm welcome or belong in those types of places.

I feel that way a lot, even to the malls like WEM and restaurants. I have naturally wavy/curly hair and just blow dry it with a diffuser. My make-up consists of eyeliner and mascara. And my typical attire is jeans and sneakers. I even wear sneakers with my work pants to and from work (I keep a worn pair of heels at work). I never feel "pretty" but just average. I think I need to go shopping (except I hate shopping and have no fashion sense).
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    My confession is that I compare myself to every woman I see. When I am out and about I am always eyeing up the other women I see and thinking "I am thinner" or "she is thinner than I am". It drives me crazy because it takes away from regular interactions, it is kind of petty and stupid and extremely vain but I do it all the time.

I do the exact same thing. I hate to promote the stereotype of women being insecure about their looks, and it's something I can't really explain to my SO without sounding vain, but it's definitely true in my case.

It's part of why I have a slight phobia of malls, actually. Crowded, open spaces bother me anyways, and if it's a ritzy mall where every girl is dressed up with perfect hair and has a perfect body, I want to crawl in a hole and disappear. Meanwhile, I have no problems shopping at lower-class stores where half of the shoppers are significantly overweight and the other half are wearing pajamas.

I have a phobia of fancy hair salons/spas. I feel so frumpy - I can't do makeup well (and I'm lazy) and I can't do anything with my hair so I don't feel like I'm welcome or belong in those types of places.

I'm like that too with salons. I haven't coloured my hair in a year (which I did myself) and haven't had it professionally cut or coloured in two years because I feel like I left it too long initially and now it looks so terrible and it's in such bad shape that I'm going to have to spend the entire appointment being berated about it, so I'm STILL putting it off even though my hair is more like a horse's mane at this point than actual hair. I don't understand why every time I go to a salon, it's always "Oh, when was the last time you had this cut? Who did it, the layers are terrible?" and "You've got some damage here," and "Um, is THIS how you usually wear it?" etc etc. I don't know who told hair stylists that the best way to build client loyalty is by criticizing their hair. Ugh.

My million-dollar business idea is to start a salon where no one talks to you. It's silent and there is music or Netflix or whatever for each person and you can just sit there and not make small talk with your stylist at all. He or she will just ask you what you want, clarify if necessary, and then just stop talking unless they're asking you if you're okay with what they're doing. And you can just have your hair cut and coloured and not have to tell your stylist about your last vacation and listen to them complain about their coworkers and the state of your hair.

Oh my geesh, I'd totally go to your salon. I used to be a receptionist at a salon, and while the stylists were generally nice people, they were mean b's when they talked about their clients! It was really awful. I never felt self-conscious about my hair until I worked there. They made me feel like it was a dreaded task to cut my hair... It was "too straight", "too thick", " too Asian", "didn't lay right", "had too many cowlicks". I talked about this a few hundred pages ago, but now I refuse to go to a stylist that I know.
  • Talkradio
    Options
    hschnirel wrote: »

Me too, once a stylist admonished me and said I should never leave do much time between appts and I wished I had challenged her and asked why exactly?? Probably because she doesn't make that much money from my sporadic appts!
    How much do you pay for colts and cuts? I pay about 35 for cut and close to 50 for color just to hide the gray.

As a former salon employee, you hit the nail on the head. Ideally, clients would rebook and come every 5-7 weeks. The salon I worked at had mandatory high pressure upsell, rebook, and retail standards. If the stylists didn't rebook their clients the same day of their services, they fell to the back of the new client queue... If they weren't specifically requested, they couldn't even touch new clients.
  • Talkradio
    Options
    My husband took the day off tomorrow and is spending the night at my in-laws along with my son. I'm supposed to be home getting a good night of sleep. Instead, I'm sitting by myself in a dive bar. They had dollar tacos, and who am I to refuse such a good deal? I had two, and I'm also on my second bottle of cider.

I'll probably eat a bag of potato chips while I'm here, because chips.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Going to boot camp class and being the fat girl is humiliating.
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I had a really good stylist until I hit university. She then sold her salon and up and moved to Mexico. It took me a long time to find another good stylist and found one last year (nearly six years later). She is awesome but last time I was in, I found out she is pregnant and will likely be on maternity leave by the time I need another cut. As for color, I stopped after several years of doing hair shows. My hair was just fried from all the bleaching and recoloring. Now it is all natural again.

I too like the idea of a salon with no conversation. I suck at making small talk and find it difficult to relate to people since I don't have kids and love to cook/bake (which I find a lot of people don't seem to have time for).
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Me too, once a stylist admonished me and said I should never leave do much time between appts and I wished I had challenged her and asked why exactly?? Probably because she doesn't make that much money from my sporadic appts!
    How much do you pay for colts and cuts? I pay about 35 for cut and close to 50 for color just to hide the gray.

I go 2 - 3 times a year for trims and to keep the shape fresh and stylish. My stylist told me I didn't need more than 1/8 inch off after 6 months. I like and trust her. My hair is just above my waist and very healthy. When I had very short hair it didn't look good if I waited more than 6 - 7 weeks. Mid length hair I went about every 3 months. Maybe it had to do with your particular style and how often you curl or straighten or blow Dry?

Edit: I pay $35 which is a bargain in this town and my stylist gives me a discount b/c I followed her from another place. Regularly $45. Color is near 150 but I like my natural color a lot so I don't color plus I'm on a budget so I'd not go often enough to upkeep it.
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    I just want everyone who has read and thought of us and especially those of you who have commented on my daughter and her potential eating disorder....Thank you. A very heart-felt thank you. I scheduled a meeting with a nutritionist for late next month. Dr follow up is the same day.

Thank you also for your supportive words and helpful words and suggestions about my approach to parenting in this situation. I had a flawed role model so I think a lot and do my best and hope for the best. I tell her when I think I've made a mistake and apologize. She knows I love her.

This is a pretty cool group. I don't have many I can share this issue with. Thank you!
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    I just want everyone who has read and thought of us and especially those of you who have commented on my daughter and her potential eating disorder....Thank you. A very heart-felt thank you. I scheduled a meeting with a nutritionist for late next month. Dr follow up is the same day.

Thank you also for your supportive words and helpful words and suggestions about my approach to parenting in this situation. I had a flawed role model so I think a lot and do my best and hope for the best. I tell her when I think I've made a mistake and apologize. She knows I love her.

This is a pretty cool group. I don't have many I can share this issue with. Thank you!

I think it's wonderful that you are receptive to the fact that your daughter may have an eating disorder and that you are seeking treatment for her. Often, parents can turn a blind eye to these sorts of things (self-injury, depression, and anxiety as well) because they're difficult topics to handle. However, your daughter is unfortunately (and, I suppose, fortunately in a sort-of way) not alone in this. It's something like 10 million Americans (assuming that's where you are, but still) will suffer from an eating disorder each year, so this is obviously not her fault, nor yours. There's a physical and very much a psychological component to this, and it takes treatment of both to beat a disorder. You're already aware of this, but she will need you more than she might say during this time. There might be fights, or rough patches, but she will appreciate your help once she's on the other side. I'm praying for you both!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    I am so tired tonight. I think I'll skip the confessions and go to sleep. G'Night.

@pofoster21 maybe you already mentioned it and I missed it, but what happened with your gelding? (that was you, right?)
  • ShibaEars
    Options

She charges $27 for cuts, and when I did colour my hair a couple years ago it was about $80 - dirt cheap compared to salons.
  • ShibaEars
    Options

I feel that way a lot, even to the malls like WEM and restaurants. I have naturally wavy/curly hair and just blow dry it with a diffuser. My make-up consists of eyeliner and mascara. And my typical attire is jeans and sneakers. I even wear sneakers with my work pants to and from work (I keep a worn pair of heels at work). I never feel "pretty" but just average. I think I need to go shopping (except I hate shopping and have no fashion sense).
    [/quote]

You pretty much described me lol. I end up just wearing my sneakers at work though, with my work pants lol.
  • Havasufalls
    Havasufalls Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I WILL NOT share food with my children, I've actually overheard them saying how mean mom is because she never shares her food anymore.. If I log it, I'm eating it, especially if I'm close to my calorie goal..
  • Nery_Tay
    Nery_Tay Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've been eating from stress/emoctions these past 4 days need to get back on track. But those sweets/lunches are killing me.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    I am so tired tonight. I think I'll skip the confessions and go to sleep. G'Night.

@pofoster21 maybe you already mentioned it and I missed it, but what happened with your gelding? (that was you, right?)

Thanks. Yes it's me. It's not good. We are scheduling a date to put him down next month, if he can be ok that long. He is not in pain and is happy as can be but his condition is deteriorating and the vet is worried one day he will fall down and break something or lay down and not be able to get up. The month is for me to spend time with him and adjust to the idea. I am heartbroken and sick over it. I have spent the last week in tears. But it's the right thing to do and I don't want to ever see him in pain. So thanks for asking and I will let you all know when it happens... And hopefully I can keep it together until then.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Kidzfun wrote: »
    I've been eating from stress/emoctions these past 4 days need to get back on track. But those sweets/lunches are killing me.

Me too.
  • Oberon21
    edited April 2015
    Options
    sydkins432 wrote: »
    I haven't gone over my calorie intake in over 50 days. My fitbit says i burn between 2300 and 3000 calories a day and I have only lost 5 pounds. I think they're is something wrong with me, but I am afraid to go to the doctor.

How much weight do you have to lose? Are you tracking your food on a digital food scale to make sure you're eating the correct portion?

Are you sure your fitbit is correct? I ran a marathon yesterday and only burned 2673 calories (46K steps). Unless you are running marathons every day or doing some other extended extreme exercise, your fitbit might be giving you inaccurate information...

@pofoster21 are you sure your FitBit is correct? I know different people burn differently, but I average 12K steps a day and maintain at 2100 a day (33, 5'5'', 130-135) and I'm really not doing much more than walking now. I would think a marathon would get you a lot more than 2700...

ETA: grammar is hard

I don't use a Fitbit. I use a gps tracking device. And on average a 10 min mile burns 100 calories. In addition MFP returned a similar number on mile per hour times time ran. So, yes I am fairly sure it's close to accurate.

Ahhh, that was your burn for the marathon, not the whole day. Sorry, I'm picking up what you're putting down now.

1) After reading the words "I'm picking up what you're putting down now", I suddenly imagined a marathoner 'passing a baton' to 'the next runner' -- in some sort of apparently-horrendous-in-length(-and-time) -based 'relay race', in which each runner was to run a marathon-length 'leg' (?!) (can you imagine?!)...

In looking into whether any such thing existed (and doing my best to 'prepare' myself, for the potential shock of learning of a transcontinental 'race' I somehow hadn't heard of), I did learn of "Marathon Relay" races, in which multiple runners cover -- collectively -- the distance of a marathon (which would be interesting)...

2) In the course of checking into an aspect of caloric burn specific to marathons, I ran across the following unexpected 'take' on such -- in which a blogger posted (link included below (hey, look at the date! -- almost 8 years ago to the day! :) )) a way of looking at this that hadn't crossed my mind...

After using Running World’s calorie calculator for determining average caloric burn totals for a 145-pound female, and 180-pound male, the blogger -- in conjunction with an assumption that 58% of the runners in a then-upcoming local marathon would be female -- concluded that the marathon in question would result in "at least 9,193,172 calories" being burned by the runners... and then conveyed, "That’s a collective 31,700 Dunkin’ Donuts Chocolate Glazed Cake Donuts" that the runners could consume, courtesy of the calories they'd burn... :)

http://www.browniepointsblog.com/2007/04/27/how-many-calories-in-a-marathon/

Confession: While peeking around at various whatnot on that blogger's site, I stumbled on a recipe for the attention-gettingly -named "Nearly Lethal Smores Tart" -- ?!!! -- which, per its having been listed where it was, is (and perhaps not surprisingly) among the site's Most Popular Recipes... and which I 'made the mistake of' learning more about... ;) ...and while the thought of consuming that swath of "vanilla honey marshmallow creme" that is found decadently 'lounging' atop the chocolate ganache -covered graham cracker 'thick base layer' (in all its tartdom greatness), all I could think was, "whoever wants the tart's marshmallow 'hat' can 'have at it' -- I'll take the chocolate-covered graham cracker-y 'madness', place a little peanut butter on top, and have an in-the-spirit-of-Reese's-Cups peanut-butter-and-chocolate 'tribute' tart..." -- and then I 'snapped out of it'... ;)[/quote]

I am just sad 9 MILLION calories burned equals only 32 THOUSAND donuts. If life was fair it would be the other way around.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Confession: I found myself super-surprised that people have to go and get their hair recut or recolored after just a few weeks... I spend YEARS between having my hair touched with scissors; and I colored it once and hated it, so I let it grow out and chopped it all off. o:)
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    ="CountessKitteh;32292482"]
    I have a really bad habit of self harming whenever I eat gluten which I'm allergic too. It kind of scares me that I'll hurt myself over eating it. It only happens like once or twice every few months though. It happened yesterday, I wish I could kick the habit.

I'm violently allergic to chocolate, and I used to cave and eat a brownies/cake/candy/whatever to my heart's content and then just deal with the consequences. Eventually, the reaction just wasn't worth the reward.

Kind of like when I realized the temporary fun of drinking to excess is soooooo not worth the hangover. I think that qualifies me as old.

My point: There's hope![/quote]

Since having my gall bladder removed I can't drink my favouritest iced coffee, nor can I drink good quality coffee... Unfortunately I still cave and have them every so often. I will pay for it for the next few hours sitting on the loo. I am slowly cutting down
  • Russandol
    Russandol Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Not so much a weightloss/dieting confession as a confession about a confession: I finally told my dentist that I've had some disordered eating issues going on and that's why my teeth don't look so great. (There's no major damage, but they're worn from the acids. My teenaged Pepsi Max habit (several liters a week for years) didn't help.) She was very understanding, but did fumble around a little for something to say. I told her it was okay, that she didn't need to say anything, and that I just wanted her to know that there was a probable explanation for some of the wear on my teeth. (I also grind my teeth in my sleep when I'm stressed, which is another issue.)