Considering Atkins

Options
167891012»

Replies

• LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Atkins and have been since March 1, 2011. I've lost 29lbs and my cravings are gone. My mom also did Atkins roughly 10 years ago and has lost about 100lbs. She has managed to keep it off, give or take a few pounds here and there. The problem that most people have is that they don't do Atkins correctly. They half way do induction, and then stop. Induction is to be followed exactly to help you beat those cravings and help you get a better understanding of your body and how it burns fat. Also, many people don't follow through with the other phases of Atkins. They stop after induction. Induction is there to start the weight loss process. You MUST go through the phases to ensure that you've kicked your old eating habits and have learned a new healthy way of eating. If you stop after induction, you have no idea what your body needs to do to keep losing or even to maintain its weight. Hope I helped.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Atkins and have been since March 1, 2011. I've lost 29lbs and my cravings are gone. My mom also did Atkins roughly 10 years ago and has lost about 100lbs. She has managed to keep it off, give or take a few pounds here and there. The problem that most people have is that they don't do Atkins correctly. They half way do induction, and then stop. Induction is to be followed exactly to help you beat those cravings and help you get a better understanding of your body and how it burns fat. Also, many people don't follow through with the other phases of Atkins. They stop after induction. Induction is there to start the weight loss process. You MUST go through the phases to ensure that you've kicked your old eating habits and have learned a new healthy way of eating. If you stop after induction, you have no idea what your body needs to do to keep losing or even to maintain its weight. Hope I helped.

Amen!!! We have spoken these same words until we are all blue in the face and the ignorant comments still come flying in!!

I am glad to see your mom and you are doing things the correct way and it leads to the lifestyle for healthier and whole foods eating!!!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

Say it ain't so,,,,, you have to do it right? Ok I'm being a smarta$$. Great for you and your Mom.
  • Aiffy
    Aiffy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    all the meat eggs and cheese I can eat? count me in ........

NOT

enjoy having a stroke

Don't be such a smart-*kitten*. Try reading the book. I ate more vegetables on Atkins than I ever had in my life. It suits some people, others not so much, but following the plan will absolutely not give you "a stroke".

My cholesterol went down and I felt better than I had in years. That said, it may not be for everyone. But you do you, and if you're going to make remarks like that, at least know your source material first.
  • Grokette
    Options
    all the meat eggs and cheese I can eat? count me in ........

NOT

enjoy having a stroke

Don't be such a smart-*kitten*. Try reading the book. I ate more vegetables on Atkins than I ever had in my life. It suits some people, others not so much, but following the plan will absolutely not give you "a stroke".

My cholesterol went down and I felt better than I had in years. That said, it may not be for everyone. But you do you, and if you're going to make remarks like that, at least know your source material first.

People are brainwashed to believe what they hear on the news and the media so they think it is just meat, eggs and cheese - which we could easily live off 0 carbs too.

However Atkins plan as you know there are lots of vegetables eaten, or at least should be eaten...........
  • Aiffy
    Options

People are brainwashed to believe what they hear on the news and the media so they think it is just meat, eggs and cheese - which we could easily live off 0 carbs too.

However Atkins plan as you know there are lots of vegetables eaten, or at least should be eaten...........

It annoys me so much! Particularly when someone is just asking a simple question.

How are you finding the primal plan? I presume that's your weapon of choice from your username :)
  • Grokette
    Options

It annoys me so much! Particularly when someone is just asking a simple question.

How are you finding the primal plan? I presume that's your weapon of choice from your username :)

Well, I am a bit of a mixture...........I am taking some things from Atkins, Primal Blue Print and Paleo and doing my own thing........

I am feeling and doing very well. Up and going strong about 18 hours out of the day and never exhausted any more.

I have lost almost 40 pounds since February 4th.............I am getting ready to have to change clothing sizes. I think I was literally squeezing myself into clothes that were 2 sized too small, because after 40 pounds lost my clothes are just now getting loose on me.

Atkins got me introduced to the low carb and more natural world of eating again (I was actually raised this way) and with known food allergies the Paleo / Primal way agrees with me more.
  • Aiffy
    Options

Well, I am a bit of a mixture...........I am taking some things from Atkins, Primal Blue Print and Paleo and doing my own thing........

I am feeling and doing very well. Up and going strong about 18 hours out of the day and never exhausted any more.

I have lost almost 40 pounds since February 4th.............I am getting ready to have to change clothing sizes. I think I was literally squeezing myself into clothes that were 2 sized too small, because after 40 pounds lost my clothes are just now getting loose on me.

Atkins got me introduced to the low carb and more natural world of eating again (I was actually raised this way) and with known food allergies the Paleo / Primal way agrees with me more.

That's fantastic, congratulations!
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Ok grokette,

Since you are such a strong promoter of Atkins, Paleo, HVG, high saturated fat and cholesterol diet. What are your results so far? I have posted mine above just counting calories. We have been posting here about the same time. Are you making progress? And if so, are you doing better not counting calories?

I know this isn't directed at me, but I feel compelled to respond since you seem to be looking for "proof" that Atkins / Paleo / Primal / Low Carb works. Does my ticker answer your question? That's what I've lost since November, when I started eating Paleo / Primal. I let a little grain slip in every once in a while (today I had about half a slice of bread - the first I've had in months), but I aim to keep my carbs under 100g, and usually under 75g. I eat meat, eggs, fruit, veggies, and some dairy (greek yogurt especially). I wouldn't call myself 100% Paleo - I have zero interest in doing something like the Whole 30 (intense, 100% paleo - and beyond), since dairy and gluten don't really seem to affect me negatively in small amounts. I'd say I'm more Primal, or just generic low-carb, than anything else. I eat on track 80% of the time, and enjoy my dairy, protein bar, wine, and cheese the other 20% of the time. My ratios are set at 20% carb / 40% fat / 40% protein.

After 6.5 months, I'm down almost 65 lbs, 13% body fat, 44 inches, and 6 dress sizes (from a 20-22 to a 8). Bloodwork is perfect - triglycerides in the 40s, cholesterol 154 (LDL 101, HDL 43).

Of course I'm merely n=1. But this works for me. And it works for lots of other people. Just as higher carb / WW points / Jenny Craig / South Beach / counting calories while continuing to eat Twinkies, works for many other people. It works as long as you follow it - just like every other plan (including the MFP count-your-calories plan).

I guess low-carb can be hard for some people. It was hard for me at first. It took me a good week and a half to get past the "carb flu." But I tell you what - I wouldn't go back to my high-carb, craving-filled, binge-eating former lifestyle for anything! I have more energy now, zero cravings, and I can eat a bite of dessert any time I want and be plenty satisfied. I eat far more fruits and veggies than I did before (and more meat too).

I don't understand all the diet bashing - from either side. It's not an easy matter to figure out what our bodies need to perform optimally. And it seems quite obvious that what is good for one person is far from ideal for another. If you want to try Atkins, you're not going to blow out a kidney or die from a stroke if you actually read the book and follow the plan. If you look, feel and perform better - terrific! If not, move along to one of the other 10,000 diets out there, or come up with your own.
  • Grokette
    Options
    If anyone is interested in books for Kindle (you can read it on your PC or smart phone too).............the free kindle application can be downloaded and installed from Amazon.com

I recently got 2 free e-books that might interest some or all of you..........

Biological Aging Theory (based on evolution) -- This one is Free right now...........
    Rx Garden: 101 Food Cures You Can Easily Grow
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options

Ok grokette,

Since you are such a strong promoter of Atkins, Paleo, HVG, high saturated fat and cholesterol diet. What are your results so far? I have posted mine above just counting calories. We have been posting here about the same time. Are you making progress? And if so, are you doing better not counting calories?

I know this isn't directed at me, but I feel compelled to respond since you seem to be looking for "proof" that Atkins / Paleo / Primal / Low Carb works. Does my ticker answer your question? That's what I've lost since November, when I started eating Paleo / Primal. I let a little grain slip in every once in a while (today I had about half a slice of bread - the first I've had in months), but I aim to keep my carbs under 100g, and usually under 75g. I eat meat, eggs, fruit, veggies, and some dairy (greek yogurt especially). I wouldn't call myself 100% Paleo - I have zero interest in doing something like the Whole 30 (intense, 100% paleo - and beyond), since dairy and gluten don't really seem to affect me negatively in small amounts. I'd say I'm more Primal, or just generic low-carb, than anything else. I eat on track 80% of the time, and enjoy my dairy, protein bar, wine, and cheese the other 20% of the time. My ratios are set at 20% carb / 40% fat / 40% protein.

After 6.5 months, I'm down almost 65 lbs, 13% body fat, 44 inches, and 6 dress sizes (from a 20-22 to a 8). Bloodwork is perfect - triglycerides in the 40s, cholesterol 154 (LDL 101, HDL 43).

Of course I'm merely n=1. But this works for me. And it works for lots of other people. Just as higher carb / WW points / Jenny Craig / South Beach / counting calories while continuing to eat Twinkies, works for many other people. It works as long as you follow it - just like every other plan (including the MFP count-your-calories plan).

I guess low-carb can be hard for some people. It was hard for me at first. It took me a good week and a half to get past the "carb flu." But I tell you what - I wouldn't go back to my high-carb, craving-filled, binge-eating former lifestyle for anything! I have more energy now, zero cravings, and I can eat a bite of dessert any time I want and be plenty satisfied. I eat far more fruits and veggies than I did before (and more meat too).

I don't understand all the diet bashing - from either side. It's not an easy matter to figure out what our bodies need to perform optimally. And it seems quite obvious that what is good for one person is far from ideal for another. If you want to try Atkins, you're not going to blow out a kidney or die from a stroke if you actually read the book and follow the plan. If you look, feel and perform better - terrific! If not, move along to one of the other 10,000 diets out there, or come up with your own.

wohoooo congrats inspiring to hear this!:flowerforyou:
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Man, I eat meat, fats, and vegetables all day long and I lose weight, feel great, never get carb bloat or gas (even from beans, which are high-fiber carb/protein combos).

I eat one darn Girl Scout Cookie this afternoon and I burp several times.

Carbs are Hell.