Carbs after lunch?

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    so I wouldn't be so dismissive about what they have to say and start calling them lunatics because they are trying to be helpful.

we be crazy . crazy lunatics i tell ya! ;)
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    What a bizarre little thread
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    It's also one of Bob Haper's rules for weight loss?

calorie deficit is the only rule for weight loss.

Okay, calorie deficit is not the only rule for weight loss. It is a requirement for (normal) weight loss. Necrosis, parasites, malabsorption (Crohn's, celiac, diverticulitus, bariatric surgery, stomach flu, lactose intolerance...), and dehydration all lead to weight loss despite not being in a caloric deficit.

@carmel224466,

One pound of pure fat contains roughly 3,500 Calories (kcal). It is the most dense source of long-term stored energy in the body. The second most-dense is your skeletal muscles. Fully-hydrated muscle contains roughly 75% water. Since fat contains 9 calories per gram, and protein contains 4 calories per gram, muscles contain roughly 400 Calories per pound. The third most-dense and medium term source of stored energy is glycogen. Glycogen is also roughly 75% water with the remainder being glucose (blood sugar). The math works out to it also being roughly 400 Calories per pound. Your body is limited in the amount of glycogen that you can store. You can hold about a pound in your liver and 3-4 pounds in your muscles.

So if you burn through all of your glycogen, you can lose 4 pounds with a calorie deficit of 1600 Calories. When you eat carbs, you build up your glycogen stores. So if you deprive your body of carbs, you lose "water weight". If you deprive your body of protein (under deficit), you lose "water weight" and muscle mass. You may be losing fat at a steady rate regardless of when you eat carbs, but your weight will fluctuate accordingly.

Now here's the x-factor: Limiting when you eat carbs (like how you describe or intermediate fasting) has an affect on your insulin and possibly adrenaline levels. Insulin causes your body to store energy (even though diabetics can and do lose weight with a caloric deficit). Adrenaline increases when your blood sugar gets too low. And that makes you burn more Calories (by being more active). It's your body telling you, "hey, go get me some food".

So if you feel more energetic when you limit afternoon carbs, you should do it.

Good Luck!

those are all factored into the CI or CO of CICO ...so it still comes down to CICO and calorie deficits.

protein elicits an insulin response too, but I don't see anyone saying to limit that, or to time it....why is it always bad old carbs that are always blamed for the insulin spike???

You don't see anyone saying to time proteins? Are you sure? Talk to a body builder about pre-workout and post workout protein timings.

I mentioned insulin and adrenaline. So what happens when you get an insulin spike from protein in the absence of carbohydrates? Your blood sugar gets jammed into your cells. And then your adrenaline spikes. And that gives you bigger lifts. Ha!

Insulin is a drug of abuse for steroid users.

Okay, CICO only factors in calories in, calories out, and fiber. Fiber is just a carb that your body can't use. Calories are otherwise based on the energy food burns in a bomb calorimeter, the work you do, and your basal metabolic rate.

I can eat at perfect maintenance for months. But what happens if I add onions to my diet? And by that I mean, I eat exactly the same thing and move exactly the same amount expect for the addition of onions. I would lose weight steadily. I am mildly allergic to onions. All of my other food goes right through me partially digested. And that is not magically accounted-for in CICO.

Do you know one of the symptoms of diabetes? Unexplained weight loss. CICO failing. Why? Because your body is now excreting some sugar instead of storing or using it all.

Peace out bro.

Way to move the goalposts. OP was talking about carb timing as in relation to weight loss, and no where in this thread have we been talking about body builders. When I responded about protein it was in the context of this thread, which is that no one is saying don't eat protein after 2 pm for weight loss. Unless of course you have a study on that, and, if you do, I would be happy to review it. Are you really saying that you should time protein intake with respect to losing weight and/ or fat loss?

And yes, some body builder to believe in nutrient timing, others say the impact is marginal. But lets give you that it would be beneficial for body builders and high performance athletes, that is like what, five to ten percent of the population? So you want to take a principle that applies to five to ten percent of us and apply it to OP??

Again, you are moving the goal posts as OP never mentioned a medical condition or insulin sensitivity. Even people with medical condition adhere to the principles of CICO, they just need to medication to help them regulate the CO side.

so in the end, CICO applies to all of us, even those with medical conditions. Unless you are saying that there are some people that live outside the laws of math and physics?????

peace out, bro….

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Empty Your Cup

A professor visited a Zen master to inquire about Zen. As the master was speaking the professor kept interrupting with his own opinions. So the master served some tea. He overfilled the cup and tea went everywhere. The professor shouted "the cup is full, there is no room for more tea!" The master replied "like this cup, your mind is so full of its own opinions, there is no room for anything new, in order to taste my tea, you must first empty your cup."

This version from http://usefulnessisinemptiness.blogspot.com/
  • portugaline
    portugaline Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Many people here keep just counting calories, people you don't even know for sure How many calories you burn, you can estimate but will never know.

And a calorie is not just a calorie, protein, different carbs, fat, fiber all changes the way you gain or lose weight.

1st you need to remember that fiber is counted as 4 calories, and your body cannot use most of fiber....

2nd there are hormones in our body, and the most important to "control" to lose weight is insulin..
    If you eat carbs, especially sugars, you will get an alarm inside your body to produce insulin, insulin will then be present in your body for some hours and the only thing that insulin does is keeping saving all calories, can be as glycogen to the muscles or FATTTT.

Thats why most people cut down they carbs and get good results, but people remember there are complex carbs like oatmeal, that have one king of fiber that can control your insulin levels during hours, so try to go to complex carbs, and you should even lose more weight. About calories, your body needs energy to burn more energy, it means the more you can eat and stay lean, the fastest will be you metabolism and you can eat more and lose more weight.

Count your calories but always remember from where they come from..
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    No just no....
    Many people here keep just counting calories, people you don't even know for sure How many calories you burn, you can estimate but will never know.

And a calorie is not just a calorie, protein, different carbs, fat, fiber all changes the way you gain or lose weight.

1st you need to remember that fiber is counted as 4 calories, and your body cannot use most of fiber....

2nd there are hormones in our body, and the most important to "control" to lose weight is insulin..
    If you eat carbs, especially sugars, you will get an alarm inside your body to produce insulin, insulin will then be present in your body for some hours and the only thing that insulin does is keeping saving all calories, can be as glycogen to the muscles or FATTTT.

Thats why most people cut down they carbs and get good results, but people remember there are complex carbs like oatmeal, that have one king of fiber that can control your insulin levels during hours, so try to go to complex carbs, and you should even lose more weight. About calories, your body needs energy to burn more energy, it means the more you can eat and stay lean, the fastest will be you metabolism and you can eat more and lose more weight.

*smh* really????? site sources please...and not a blog or an aritcle in men's fitness please.
  • portugaline
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    No just no....

*smh* really????? site sources please...and not a blog or an aritcle in men's fitness please.

FIBER

FIBER HAS CALORIES?
    Some people consider fiber calorie-free, assuming that it just provides bulk to the diet, but what many people don't realize is that bacteria in your gut feed on some types of fiber. They chow down on your dietary bulk and it results in the production of short-chain fatty acids, which your body can use. So from that point of view, fiber would count as calories.

However, not all the fiber that you eat meets this fate, and there's no clear consensus on fiber's caloric contribution. On one hand, the FDA estimates the amount of caloric contribution due to bacterial degradation at about 1.5 calories per gram of fiber. However, different countries and institutions have divergent ideas of what fiber is, let alone how to calculate it in any given meal. The FDA's estimate is just that, an estimate.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-macro-manager-does-fiber-count-in-calories.html

CARBS AND INSULIN
    harvard university
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/carbohydrates-and-blood-sugar/

YOU JUST NEED TO LOOK ONLINE INSTEAD OF JUST SAYING NO, YOUR BODY IS NOT SIMPLE NUMBERS.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

When you eat protein you also release insulin. A ton of people here aren't cutting carbs and getting good results. This is all bro science.
  • portugaline
    Options
    Exacly, if you eat to much protein even more insulin is released and some of the protein will be converted in glicose by the body, the point carbs and calories are not the enemy, is the way you eat them to make your body have the best performance possible.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Exacly, if you eat to much protein even more insulin is released and some of the protein will be converted in glicose by the body, the point carbs and calories are not the enemy, is the way you eat them to make your body have the best performance possible.

how should we eat them?
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I don't have nearly the experience with nutrition that some of ya'll have, but I know that CICO works. Seems like so many new mfp'ers make it harder or more complicated than it needs to be.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    amy8400 wrote: »
    I don't have nearly the experience with nutrition that some of ya'll have, but I know that CICO works. Seems like so many new mfp'ers make it harder or more complicated than it needs to be.

agree…

too many rules…

just eat in a calorie deficit, weigh all your food, hit macros/micros, and strength train and you should be fine.
  • portugaline
    Options

how should we eat them?

Everyone is different, i get lean as hell and almost never drop bellow 300 grams carbs per day, but i try to avoid bad fats, and my carbs are all complex carbs, fiber i have a lot, and in every meal. But i don't cut carbs at night, the right carbs make me burn more fat and fell better, i fell great on diet. the wrong carbs i get fat as hell in weeks
  • ndj1979
    Options

how should we eat them?

Everyone is different, i get lean as hell and almost never drop bellow 300 grams carbs per day, but i try to avoid bad fats, and my carbs are all complex carbs, fiber i have a lot, and in every meal. But i don't cut carbs at night, the right carbs make me burn more fat and fell better, i fell great on diet. the wrong carbs i get fat as hell in weeks

so if you were eating in a calorie surplus and ate the "right" carbs would you still burn fat and get lean?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

You have some valid points, carbs aren't the enemy. Performance, in my view is eating enough to fuel your workouts (glycogen loading), repair muscles (protein), and providing proper micro nutrients. Eat just enough but not too much and this is the way you should optimize and to me this means a good balanced diet of mostly nutrient dense foods but once you meet your needs you can have some fun with your meals.
  • portugaline
    Options
    CALORIES IN AND OUT WORKS but, can you change your body composition just based on calories?

how do you know you are losing fat and not muscle?

is counting calories better than eat well, healthy and fell no full all day even on diet?

I like to eat a loot so i have to select.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    What a bizarre little thread

tell me about it.

every time i see it, instead of 'CARBS after lunch' , I read ' CRABS after lunch' and think... you need to see a doctor about that....
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

how should we eat them?

Wait, there are bad fats and right and wrong carbs??? Please expand.
  • portugaline
    Options

how should we eat them?

so if you were eating in a calorie surplus and ate the "right" carbs would you still burn fat and get lean?

yes, for example the fiber in oatmeal makes your body absorb carbs slower, makes you full and keeps insulin under control because energy is getting in your body not at once but gradually during the day.

if you eat the same calories or even the same amount of carbs in simple sugar, you will get an insulin spike, your body will try to save all energy he can, and where? most of the times in fat because we don't workout all day
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    CALORIES IN AND OUT WORKS but, can you change your body composition just based on calories?

how do you know you are losing fat and not muscle?

is counting calories better than eat well, healthy and fell no full all day even on diet?

I like to eat a loot so i have to select.

Diet and exercise together will determine your body composition. Diet alone will not preserve muscle and if you do not maintain your exercise then over time you will lose muscle as your body determines it is no longer needed. The body has evolved this way due to the scarcity of food throughout our evolution.

Eating well means meeting all your micro and macro needs but exceeding them won't do anything extra, your body only needs what it needs. If you believe that your diet is dialed in then more power to you and keep it the way you want. It's your body and put into it what you believe to be best.
This discussion has been closed.