40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday Cool Kids,
    It's a beautiful morning here on the Redwood Coast, and it was a lovely peddle in to work. It is supposed to blowing a gale again this afternoon, thus is spring, so I'll be earning my meager dinner tonight! I was only 13 calories over goal yesterday, so I think I'll still call it a success! Three days in a row. Today I'll have a huge margin from the bike ride.
    [/quote]

I figured it got named from folks who got too close being smacked up against the rocks :'( [/quote]

No! Thank goodness! There's a weird hydrodynamic... swell comes in (not breaking wave, just tall piece of water) and tries to go through the headland, which doesn't work. So while it's all pushed up against it, it creates a springy place and you can't even get to the rock if you try. But the swell goes up since it has no choice, then falls back down, and that makes a wave. The wave is going back out to deep water, so there's nothing (but your paddle buddies) to run in to.

tx5kzz4v27pj.jpg
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Options
    Larro, I have a great mental image of your mom in her lawn chair hoeing the garden!
    Beeps, please drink some German beer for me! I'll be beerless for another month or so until I get under my goal. Germany will be awesome!
    I agree about body-toning and strength training. I still need cardio for the calorie burn, but have to keep up the total body conditioning with HEAVY weights!
    Welcome SillyCat. I hope you stick around and join the conversation!
    Alf & Betty, you guys are amazing. I joined the gym because I just could NOT be disciplined about working out at home - or even at work where we have all I need. I have to go there as part of a schedule, or I just get distracted.
    Caramel, I've been very relieved to hear of the continuing improvement in community mood there. How was TRX? I've only done that once, and it was a butt kicker!
    KellySue, Happy Birthday tomorrow! I hope you are able to make the day about YOU! You're an amazing woman and so giving to everyone else.
    Nick (and Missy!) How many minutes of jogging did you do in today's walk? That's a great way to get started.
    Furballs, what are you planting in your garden? There's a lot of options with that much space! Digging is very hard on the back. I hope you're less achy today.
    Jackie, great use of a lunch break! That's some pretty impressive speed.

Hello to everyone else!

• larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon Cool Kids.

Everyone seems to be doing good. Keep up the good work.

E's Mom. Good to hear from you again. Glad the meal planning is going well. When I started out, I put more effort into my caloric deficient, then later increased the cardio as I lost weight. Good luck.

I had a cavity filled this morning. So I am living up to my reputation as a numb-skull ;) I am very gingerly eating my lunch, trying not to eat my lips.

I'm thinking about chicken stir-fry for supper. {I picked up a rotisserie chicken in town} But first I'm thinking about a nap. These days of getting up at 0530 trying to beat the heat are catching up with me.

Hope everyone is having a good day,

Larro
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,959 Member
    Options
    curious, how beautiful!!!!!!!
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. Got laundry done today and finished up a customer's quilt. We were riding out back in one of the fields yesterday and ran across some fiddleheads. I had some once and didn't like them, but I am going to try them again tomorrow and see if it was just the way it was cooked or not. It has been a beautiful few days here, but tomorrow will get cooler and rainy for a few days.
    Curious, what a beautiful place you have there. It still looks pretty intimidating to me to be in a small boat. I am glad you and your friends can enjoy it.
    Larro, bummer of the cavity, that stinks. You are such a hard worker. I am sure the heat there is horrible to work in.
    It's great hearing how everyone is doing. Meal planning is definitely a wise decision, and having lots of healthy snacks in the house. I need to stop at the store tomorrow for a few things to keep me on track.
    Keep up the good work everyone and enjoy your day.
  • larrodarro
    Options
    The chicken stir-fry turned out real good. For all of you who do not follow What's for Supper????, here is a look.

1u0edusjir27.jpg
    y2p4mubvxsfp.jpg

16 oz sugar snap stir-fry veggies
    16 oz deluxe stir-fry veggies
    100g corn
    100g mini sweet peppers
    140g onion
    263g rotisserie chicken {120g breast, 50g leg, 93g thigh}
    1 tbs olive oil
    1/2 tbs fajitas seasoning
    1/2 tbs garlic powder
    1/3 tbs black pepper

78 calories and 6g protein per 151g serving
  • larrodarro
    Options
    Natalie, I snack all day, so having healthy snacks at home and at work is a must for me. Here lately since I have been reading so much, and it's so easy to mindlessly snack while reading, I've stocked up on sunflower seeds in the shell. It takes so long to eat them you don't rack up a lot of calories. And carrots is another of my go to snacks. I eat three or four a day. But if you will look at my food diary you will see I eat the same snacks day after day.

And we are just now getting into the low 90's. Not really hot weather for here, but then I'm not used to using a shovel. I've noticed what you eat and drink makes a big difference in working outside. You wouldn't want to go out to work all afternoon with a belly full of fried food and sweet tea. {although that is just what I did for years}
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "Day: 26 of INSANITY: THE ASYLUM Vertical Plyo"=Done!
  • JackieUnlimited
    JackieUnlimited Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Just checked my weight and I and down 2 lbs for a total now of 13.3 lbs. woot ! Woot!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Today I have to drive 4 hours to get my elderly father and head to the city of my daughter's college graduation which is tomorrow. But before leaving I have to go tell my son happy 25th birthday for tomorrow as we are working together at a chess tournament right now.
  • Jengoing2015
    Jengoing2015 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow! I didn't realize that this dated back so far. I would hope that I'm a cool kid (.; I'm a little over a month being on MFP. Yay for over 40 yr old's.
  • nickpnh
    nickpnh Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hey Cool kids. I need to find a longer route for Missy. Jogged 11 minutes, walked 12 minutes, stayed moving 21 minutes in a row. I am walking/jogging in place when she stops to sniff. But I want to be out a full 30 minutes so I need to expand the route. Going hiking after school gets out so I will get more exercise then.
    Larro - nice looking stirfry. My kids would go on strike if I put that out unfortunately.
    Jackie - nice loss!
    KellySue - Happy happy birthday to you! Hope it is a great day for you and hope you had a nice time with Jake yesterday.
    CG - gorgeous pics!
    Happy Friday everyone!
    Welcome Jen and all the newbies.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday KIDS

I am STILL sore from TRX on Wednesday. I have to increase my workout days, since I have 2 races coming up and I have to really train hard for them. I want to come in at 30 minutes or less and the less I weigh, the better I will feel and perform. I decided to get a facial today and treat myself to sneakers and more work out gear. As much as sneakers cost, they should last a little longer....SHEESH. I understand Brooks have good running shoes. I will see how they work for me.

Larro--You know my mouth was WATERING when I saw the stir fry. Love to hear that mom is still kicking it in gear despite her age. Hug her for me....Are you adequately compensating my furry friends? (lol) Afterall, they have to keep you in line.

Nickpnh-I am happy Missy is keeping you up to speed. Sounds like she nestled in rather quickly. I love it.

AllenPriest--I know you are a proud dad. Congrats to your daughter. Sounds like you are pretty busy this weekend. Enjoy your family and the festivities.

Welcome Jengoing2015

Gamr3---Awesome job on completion of torture... I mean Insanity...

Jackie--Congrats on the loss

Beeps--How's your workouts and meal planning going? How long before vacation?

3Furballs--No kettle ball today? I am sure you did something AWESOME. What are you growing in your garden?

Emmalou--I am glad things are settling down a bit also. I love that you have not given up. Keep doing what you can do.

Ruby--Hope you are ok. Missing you and thinking about you.

SDERESKI & ALF---Thinking about you.

KellySue--Enjoy your special weekend.

For all of your moms out there....YOU ROCK!!!!!

Have a great weekend kids

• Curiousgeorgianna
    Options
    Happy Friday Coolest Kids!
    I'm stoked to say I have made 4 days in a row under calorie goal! Woot Woot! I haven't been eating back my exercise calories, so it's been quite a deficit over the week. I may check what the scale says next week. Peddled in today again. Yesterday I rode in, but couldn't ride back due to extreme winds ... today is much better, so will be able to ride home too. The weekend is full of activity, so expect to maintain the streak!

Caramel, I have a pair of Brooks, and I find them very supportive for my pronating ankles. I hope you find some as pretty as your last ones! Is that 30 min goal for a 5K? That would be a great time!

Nick, speaking of jogging...wow! Missy is quite the PT!
    Welcome Jengoing!
    Allenpriest, enjoy the family-filled weekend.
    Hurray for you Jackie! That's a wonderful loss.
    Larro, that may just be what I make for dinner! Looks delicious.
    Natalie, how do you prepare the fiddle heads? Do you know what kind of fern they're from? We have lots of ferns here, and I love wild-harvesting. Sounds like a fun and adventurous veggie!

There's a cake party here at the office again this afternoon. I've got the calories to spare, but want to avoid the sugar. Wish me luck!

Have a great weekend everyone.
  • JackieUnlimited
    JackieUnlimited Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Larro that's too funny. Ya she was probably wondering why you wouldn't take a break with her. Sorry about mixing up the names, usually with animals I remember quickly. Oops. Great looking stir-fry!

Alf some good looking meals on there. Don't think I'd be able to do the shake with the PB. Tried one once and gaged the whole time trying to drink it. Guess it's a good thing there are other options. ;)

Nickp way to go! Try running flat foot, that should help with the headaches. That works for me and my deteriorating discs in my neck. To run flat footed you take shorter steps, in case you are wondering. I'll never forget the look on the persons face when I asked how to do that. Priceless. I've started considering just running away from the house until I'm half way in my time and just turning around and running back the same route.

Thanks CG! Working my way back up. A couple of years ago I could run constant between 5-6 and sprint at 7. Love the picture of where you kayak, gorgeous! Way to go on the calorie deficit! I know how hard that is to not consume them up. Hope you had a bit of cake as a reward you've earned it!

Fiddleheads now that is something I have never tried. What did they taste like Natalie?

Caramel I like Brooks Ghost. They last about a year. Saucony make awesome shoes as well.

Well I think I will be off to bed soon so I can try to get up early tomorrow for a 30 minute run seeing as they are calling for rain tomorrow. Ugh. Super hot here yesterday and today. Think I may finally have my sweet teeth under control some what. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    curious, I am not sure what kind they are but there is a kind I heard online that isn't good for you. I heard you're supposed to blanch them to take out the bitter taste, then you can continue to boil, steam, or stir fry them. I didn't make them yet, so I can't tell you how they were. I had a long day today, got up at 5 am (usually I'm up at 6) and went with 3 other ladies 2 hours south to Portland to a big huge fabric, books and craft related sale they hold at an Elks club benefiting the salvation army. I had never been before, and it was really neat. I really didn't need any more stuff, but came home with a tote bag full of books, patterns, fabric and a few UFO's (unfinished objects) like I don't already have enough of those already, right. Well, it was a nice day, but my head is very tired now and I didn't exercise today or eat as good as I should of, but not too bad either. Back to normal tomorrow though.
    Nick, what a nice long jog, which is hard because dogs get so disctracted.
    Curious, don't know how you ride in the wind, that would be tough, great on your eating under cal. I intend to but somedays, I just feel like I need to eat something else. Mostly not though.
    Great loss Jackie, Yea.
    Larro, nice stir fry, I would be into that. they are so low cal and you can eat a lot of it. I haven't made one in a while, so I guess I need to soon, cuz it looks so good.
    To everyone one, have a great weekend, and to all the Mom's out there, Happy Mothers Day!
  • larrodarro
    Options
    Good Evening Cool Kids.

Happy Birthday Kelly Sue.

Other than getting the trenches filled, I'm through with the waterline project. {after spending five hours on it today} All 15 spigots have been tested and are working. All the grapevines and blueberry bushes watered. I picked up some more grapevines and a blueberry bush yesterday. Margie and I are going to the local nursery on Sunday to see what else we can't live without. Monday through Wednesday are good transplanting days, so I'm hoping to get all of them in the ground then.

I took a walk in the woods late this afternoon. It was getting dark by the time I got back, and I saw several lightning bugs. The first of the year. Very cool. Not as cool, the ten thousand mosquitoes I ran into.

Too tired to say hello to everyone individually, so consider this Hello as being directed specifically to you. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Larro

Here are the week's numbers:

20.7% Body Fat
    23.8 BMI
    170.1 Pounds

That is a loss of 0.2 pounds for the week.

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,959 Member
    Options
    I lost 0.6 lbs this week....sucky, since last week, I had the unfortunate one-lb pop up.

I did get my lifting in today....tomorrow is cardio. 13 days to Event1....tough to lose 3 lbs by then. Six weeks to Event2....hope to lose 8 lbs by then.....also tough timeline. Blech.
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say hello!! 52 days in, 13 lbs gone. But I want to be a cool kid!!

I'm 43, 5"3 and 199 lbs right now. I walk, I don't do much else right now.

And I'm jealous of the people who don't have 8 deer in their yards eating all their gardening attempts.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "Day: 27 of INSANITY: THE ASYLUM Back to Core"=Done!