From a size 20 to a size 8 with strength training, in one year! PICS!

Options

Replies

• GenElizabeth
    GenElizabeth Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thank you :blush:
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    wow. just wow. you are amazing.
  • allens2001
    allens2001 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You look like a totally different person. Awesome job and can't wait to see new pics!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    great job, very impressive
  • RadiantKayleigh
    RadiantKayleigh Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You look gorgeous before and after your transformation. Congratulations on getting the weight off. I've just started and you are an inspiration. The tone in your body is amazing x
  • allens2001
    allens2001 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I stumbled upon your post by accident and at first I thought why am I here. However after seeing your BEAUTIFUL transformation pics I know why, lol!! Here is a little about me: I am 45, 5'3, CW: 262.2 (the heaviest I have ever been for last two years). My goal weight is to be under 200 for the first time in 15 years. After that, I will set a new goal weight. I to am a stay-at-home mom of three. In the last month, I have deleted all processed foods from my families diet. I do have a gym membership but after four months of working out was not seeing much progress in weight dropping on scale although I lost inches.

So today, I have gone through each and every post in this discussion board and I am committed to making the changes in my workout plan and calories consumed to start my BEAUTIFUL transformation as well. I am so grateful to you sharing your transformation of your body through your workout plan, nutrition info, positive thinking, and motivating comments. YOU and your HUBBY have made a definite impact on my thoughts towards being committed and the RESULTS commitment yields.

Forever Grateful,
    Allens2001❤️
  • GenElizabeth
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! :blush:
  • GenElizabeth
    edited May 2015
    Options
    allens2001 wrote: »
    I stumbled upon your post by accident and at first I thought why am I here. However after seeing your BEAUTIFUL transformation pics I know why, lol!! Here is a little about me: I am 45, 5'3, CW: 262.2 (the heaviest I have ever been for last two years). My goal weight is to be under 200 for the first time in 15 years. After that, I will set a new goal weight. I to am a stay-at-home mom of three. In the last month, I have deleted all processed foods from my families diet. I do have a gym membership but after four months of working out was not seeing much progress in weight dropping on scale although I lost inches.

So today, I have gone through each and every post in this discussion board and I am committed to making the changes in my workout plan and calories consumed to start my BEAUTIFUL transformation as well. I am so grateful to you sharing your transformation of your body through your workout plan, nutrition info, positive thinking, and motivating comments. YOU and your HUBBY have made a definite impact on my thoughts towards being committed and the RESULTS commitment yields.

Forever Grateful,
    Allens2001❤️

Wow! Thank you for your kind words! This makes it all worth it. I am so happy to hear you are committing to living a healthier lifestyle now and I'm very proud that you got rid of the junk in your house! You are more than capable to lose the weight, just take it one day at a time. It's such an important decision to make and it's never too late to start. :blush:

What's so awesome about fitness too, is that we can always grow and learn as we work to get closer to our goals. I actually did my very first meal prep for the week, just today! We saved a ton of money buying in a bigger quantity, plus we were able to get better quality food too (farm raised chicken vs not, fresh veggies vs frozen, etc.) doing it this way. I feel great knowing I am set up to have a super, successful week. There's a first time for everything! :wink:

iyqsq342btnn.jpg
  • Lil_Northern_Light
    Lil_Northern_Light Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Here are some example exercises I would do, for about 30-45 mins:

Squats 3x10 at typically 30lbs (using either barbell, dumbbells, kettlebell, etc)

Walking lunges 3x10 with 15lb dumbbells each side

Hip thrusts off bench 3x10 at 25lbs

Step ups with milk crate 3x10 at 32lbs

Clean and press 3x10 at 32lbs

Overhead press 3x10 at 30lbs

Bicep curls 3x10 at 15lbs each side

Tricep kick backs 3x10 at 10lbs each side

As you can see, I don't lift too terribly heavy when I lift at home but it's heavy enough for me and as long as I'm seeing strength improvements, I'm happy and will keep doing it. I enjoy it so much![/quote]

Cool! I enjoy strength training as well and using about the same weight. Kept going up in weight: started with 5lbs! Platues suck! I'm still trying to tone, mainly the midsection - bought my first bikini this year - going to wear it this summer!

Thanks for sharing
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Hi there, let me start of by saying you are Awesome!!! Very inspiring to read your story and looking at your pics. I am at 224 lbs and trying to lose 80 lbs . I read about strength training on a deficit and started it out about a month ago. I was having my doubts as to whether it would work or no. But seeing your pics today! I am stoked! I will definitely continue strength training now! No looking back :smile: thank you for posting this !!!
  • KiairaKay
    KiairaKay Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This is what I'm talking about...you go girl! You look amazing! Please keep up the hard work as you have become a great inspiration! Thanks for sharing your story.
  • howejoyous
    howejoyous Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am so impressed with your transformation. Congrats to you! You are really empowering us by showing how you did this without trainers, gyms, classes, etc. That is so helpful for me, especially, because I am on a limited budget and find it hard to go it alone.

I am 65 and a year and a half ago I was walking with difficulty and occasional arthritis/bursitis. Sometimes my ankle still tweaks and I wear a support ankle brace to walk and jog. I started out at 235 lbs 2 years ago. I am 5'6" and I have lost 52 lbs so far. The question I want to ask is about belly fat. Because I have been doing aqua aerobics, walking, easy bike rides last summer (I am new to biking and live in a cold climate.) I am feeling so much better, except I feel hopeless about my belly flab/overhang. Tell me that that goes away with lifting and strength training, and I will start that immediately.

You are so down to earth and open. I admire that so much. Thanks for your advice and encouragement on here.
  • GenElizabeth
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Means a lot to hear such awesome things. :blush:
  • GenElizabeth
    edited May 2015
    Options
    howejoyous wrote: »
    Wow, I am so impressed with your transformation. Congrats to you! You are really empowering us by showing how you did this without trainers, gyms, classes, etc. That is so helpful for me, especially, because I am on a limited budget and find it hard to go it alone.

I am 65 and a year and a half ago I was walking with difficulty and occasional arthritis/bursitis. Sometimes my ankle still tweaks and I wear a support ankle brace to walk and jog. I started out at 235 lbs 2 years ago. I am 5'6" and I have lost 52 lbs so far. The question I want to ask is about belly fat. Because I have been doing aqua aerobics, walking, easy bike rides last summer (I am new to biking and live in a cold climate.) I am feeling so much better, except I feel hopeless about my belly flab/overhang. Tell me that that goes away with lifting and strength training, and I will start that immediately.

You are so down to earth and open. I admire that so much. Thanks for your advice and encouragement on here.

Thank you! I'm super glad you found encouragement here. :smile:

Belly fat is simply excess body fat on your midsection. Unfortunately, the only way to get rid of it is to acquire a lower overall body fat % over time, by way of a moderate calorie deficit. To see the "abs" or the abdominals (stomach muscles) underneath, women must get their body fat % down to around the low teens, which is very difficult and could take years to do, but is still possible. MANY women have done it and continue to do it. :wink:

Loose skin, however, is different. Once you lose all of the fat in an area, there may be some loose skin there that remains. I have loose skin and stretch marks covering my entire stomach (from above my belly button, all the way down). I had 2 children, both were C-sections, but over the years, the stretch marks have faded a lot. The skin there is still far from tight, which is partially why I was so interested in weight training from the start, to help fill in areas that need it.

Weight training helps you burn calories and helps with body recomposition (which is basically losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously). The more muscle we have, the more calories we burn, even when doing nothing! It will not help to tighten the actual loose skin that may be present, though it can help it to appear tighter by growing the muscle underneath. Eating fish, taking a fish oil supplement (I want to start taking asap!), staying hydrated by drinking tons of water (at least 64oz/day), and moisturizing the area regularly will all help. Surgery for some, is also an option later on.

I'm still awaiting my... "abs" and will likely be waiting a looooong time, lol. It takes a HUGE amount of time to bring ourselves full circle but that's why fitness is so fun! It never ends and if we keep going, the possibilities and results from hard work are endless!

Continue on with your progress, 52lbs is AWESOME. You can finish this AND you can look great. I wish you the very, very best! :blush:
  • GenElizabeth
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi there, let me start of by saying you are Awesome!!! Very inspiring to read your story and looking at your pics. I am at 224 lbs and trying to lose 80 lbs . I read about strength training on a deficit and started it out about a month ago. I was having my doubts as to whether it would work or no. But seeing your pics today! I am stoked! I will definitely continue strength training now! No looking back :smile: thank you for posting this !!!

You are so welcome! And you can totally do this!! There is SO much information out there to help us too. There are no limits, IF it's what you really want. I decided early on that I WANT THIS, with 100% certainty, that I could do it. That's key because the ups and downs can make or break you in this process.

Start it up and like you said, no looking back!!! I'm excited for you. Good luck! And don't forget the protein after every work out!!! :smiley:
  • skinneeme007
    skinneeme007 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! Great job, and thank you for posting your inspirational story. It's just more proof that it's actually possible.
  • reiroome
    reiroome Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Amy3935 wrote: »
    You look AMAZING! Did you ever hit any plateaus along the way, and if so how did you keep going? Thanks!

Yes!!! I absolutely hit plateaus. About every 3 months or so, things would stall or progress would seem to be halted... I anticipated this from all of the research I did though, so I knew that changing things up (with both diet and exercise) was key to get past them. It was during these times that I was forced to try new exercises and work outs and reevaluate my calorie needs.

• CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    reiroome wrote: »
    Amy3935 wrote: »
    You look AMAZING! Did you ever hit any plateaus along the way, and if so how did you keep going? Thanks!

Yes!!! I absolutely hit plateaus. About every 3 months or so, things would stall or progress would seem to be halted... I anticipated this from all of the research I did though, so I knew that changing things up (with both diet and exercise) was key to get past them. It was during these times that I was forced to try new exercises and work outs and reevaluate my calorie needs.

Did you do cardio to get past plateaus or only strength training?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Great shoulders and calves! I think those two areas are so sexy. People comment about mine all the time. lol

You may also find, in this next year, that you lose another size or so from your activity. I went from a size 8 to a size 4 in the next year after reaching maintenance without losing a pound. I'm 5'3" and 127lb
  • Lola2248
    Lola2248 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    rayw89 wrote: »
    You are the image of health! You didn't just get thin, you got FIT. You look awesome!

Agreed!
    You look fab!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!