What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Nobody told me what to expect in terms of plateaus and whooshes. Even when it happens on MFP, people won't say it or acknowledge it.

As I get closer to my goal weight, the plateaus last longer and the whooshes are bigger. I had a 5 month plateau late last year / early this year. When I posted on MFP after about 3 months, I would just get the response that I wasn't logging right. Seriously?! My logging method was working and then is wrong even when I didn't change anything?! In Mar., I got the "whoosh" of a several lb. loss in a few days. Now I've been in another plateau since Mar. and no idea how long this one will last.

Thanksthis is helpful to know. I've been trying to look thus up but don't know what to search for.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Terri6627 wrote: »
    paulaviki wrote: »
    I'm so jealous of people who say their skin has cleared, I'm not at goal but I've been having the worst chin breakouts since I started losing. :(
    Well that's the unfortunate side of "eat less, sweat more. I get more pimples too, but I've never had bad skin.

My face is a hot mess that will not clear up. I've paid for laser treatments, taken a ton of antibiotics, used a ton of prescription face creams, tried Proactiv and Mary Kay Clear Proof, use Cetaphil daily. Nothing works at all. It's been bad for the past 3 years and gotten worse as I've lost weight.

Poor you. :(

I've cut down on dairy over the last couple of weeks and I'm using Dermalogica anti Bac face wash plus activ moist. Finally I seem to be clearing up but I've got quite a few scars from some really big cystic spots I just didn't leave alone. Thank god for make up! I use bareminerals so it's not too pore clogging!
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    GingerSka wrote: »
    DaneanP wrote: »
    So is anyone else having food dreams? I guess I would've thought that back in the day when I was eating whatever and whenever I would have dreamt about food more. But now because I need to plan more (a good thing) I find myself dreaming about food! Occasionally I wake up with a panicky feeling that I just ate something that blew my calories out for the week!! WTH?

I just think it is strange. I feel more IN control now but my dreams feel more out of control.
    Yes! I posted to my mfp friends a few weeks ago because i had a dream where i ate like 5 huge things. And weird things lol. And in my dream i actually was trying to add up and count the calories to try to fit it onto my goal! I woke up with the same panic you described!

I had a dream I was at a cupcake tasting party and I ate a bunch of them. I also woke up in a panic. It took me a minute to realize it was a dream

I have had so many of those dreams. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

A negative: a few coworkers have made comments about my "new" body and it seems they no longer care to associate with me. Before I lost 20 or so pounds (that's all! 20!) they were very friendly with me. I know, I know...not my problem but it's still the strangest thing.
    Yeah...I've been there.
  • zoster26
    zoster26 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Inspired. Fantastic read. You are all amazing :)
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    No one tells you that you will actually get tired of people commenting on your weight loss. That you will actually think less of them when they don't believe that you are simply eating less and working out.

Agree! And that they'll give you ideas of what you should be doing.... At 75 pounds down, I'm ok with my own plan, but thanks....
  • ohaston
    ohaston Posts: 218 Member
    Options

why is sitting and laying down uncomfortable?

I know you're not asking me, but I find laying down uncomfortable now because my old favourite positions don't work anymore - less fat to prop me up!

THIS IS ME !!!! I can't stand to lay on my side and the insides of my knees touch (OUCH) to much bone there. and my hip, I have to lay on my side but at an angle ! Hip bone ...
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    ohaston wrote: »

why is sitting and laying down uncomfortable?

I know you're not asking me, but I find laying down uncomfortable now because my old favourite positions don't work anymore - less fat to prop me up!

THIS IS ME !!!! I can't stand to lay on my side and the insides of my knees touch (OUCH) to much bone there. and my hip, I have to lay on my side but at an angle ! Hip bone ...

I used a lot of pillows now! I have one stuck between my knees and another one underneath my hip.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    In 3 MONTHS my husband's Triglycerides have dropped almost 300 points
    His blood sugar results are normal
    He is on the lowest possible dose of medication for both....but if he keeps going he won't be
    In 3 WEEKS I've gone from stage 1 Hypertension to prehypertension
    No medication. It made me sick.

A long life is so much better than a package of cookies from Costco.

Wow! Did you guys change what you are as well or just ate less?

Both. We changed almost everything we ate. Avoiding white flour. No processed meats. Typically we eat chicken, (husband gets tired of turkey) although we have ground bison a couple times a week. We'll have fruit and cheese for dinner every so often - skipping the crackers we used to include. Once or twice a month we go wild and buy a nice pork chop. LOTS of fruits and vegetables. Salt free mustard. No sodium ketchup. Low fat dairy (husband eats cheese with his lunch, I usually have a Fage 0% Greek Yogurt for breakfast) No sweets.(except my one square of dark chocolate a day - supposed to be good for blood pressure so I call it medicinal ;-) I try to avoid processed foods when possible - or at least buy low sodium versions. And portion control, portion control, portion control.

The plan is once we're both back in the normal range (we've moved from obese to garden variety overweight) we may have an occasional piece of cake, accepting Cookie Monster's advice that sweets are a SOMEtime food. But we can't go back to our old ways.

Thanks for sharing this!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!