What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• shrinkingmeagan
    shrinkingmeagan Posts: 8 Member
    bump
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    All of my pants and shirts are waaaay longer!!!!
  • bundmoehrchen
    bundmoehrchen Posts: 4 Member
    From friends/family losing weight:
    - how some people seemingly can't accept that you've reached a certain weight/size and keep it that way for months and years and keep saying that you've lost weight again. (and how that can feel like insinuating and insults pretty soon)
    - how people get all concerned at a certain point when you're reasonably losing weight, by getting back to being more active and watching what you're eating, and are short of staging an intervention. (a friend talked to me about a mutual friend and it hurt me deeply as well)

Myself:
    - there's that moment when large rolls split into several smaller rolls on your belly et al and you'll feel bigger than ever because "a few smaller rolls can't be less than a big one, right?"
    - hormonal (mood) swings are getting worse (because of the difference getting bigger): I don’t get what others describe as PMS, but the last few days of my cycle my energy levels drop significantly, I need more sleep (up to 12 hours a night), my mood plummets a great deal, water retention/oedema is the worst. I get into a real funk (because it’s so different from my active self) and I feel like the last weeks (and last cycle) didn’t happen at all and that, despite being motivated to do something, I'll never get up and actually do something (although I still get off my *kitten* and do something) - until I recover around day five.
    - how much of an impact my surroundings would have on my eating habits: For a while I thought I was being more accountable at my mother’s place than at my own flat but so far staying at a “dorm” for my new job has helped me to eat better (apart from a few days of period ’splurging’ - which I don’t/won't to quit because I believe in listening to my body and it clearly screams for easy calories on those days) and exercise regularly; somehow vacations are also 'naturally structured' and 'healthy time' for me.
    - I won’t get anywhere without a purpose in life: back in "school" (=university) when I had weeks of just studying and time on my hands I didn’t have much incentive to work out, now with my job I'm more structured about my health as well and on a weekend I might even work out twice (go for a run despite the long walk).
    - sometimes habits will have you coming back for things, even if they make you feel (physically) horrible: over the last few years I've developed an "intolerance" to high-carb foods (all grains including rice and corn as well as potatoes and candy - and of lately alcohol) and I'll still find myself eating sushi or pizza (or have a glass of wine) despite the headaches it'll give me an hour later.
  • LorraineZinn
    LorraineZinn Posts: 43 Member
    2ledbetter wrote: »
    Now that I've lost 90 pounds, with 80 still to go it's like having a double body. I feel the muscle and bone structure underneath the fat. I can grab fat and skin and feel where when I finish losing weight my body might be. My fat just seems to jiggle more now, but I can feel the muscle underneath. Does anyone else feel this?

Yes! I've lost 50 with about 20 to go, and it seems my previously relatively firm fat is all loose and flabby. My butt and thighs are more lumpy and cottage-cheesey than they were 50 pounds ago. I keep reassuring myself that this indicates I am making progress, but it's upsetting.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    2ledbetter wrote: »
    Now that I've lost 90 pounds, with 80 still to go it's like having a double body. I feel the muscle and bone structure underneath the fat. I can grab fat and skin and feel where when I finish losing weight my body might be. My fat just seems to jiggle more now, but I can feel the muscle underneath. Does anyone else feel this?

Yes, I was firm before, but now I feel like I have a loose fat suit on. Especially when I run, my skin bounces up and down so much more than it ever did!
  • ddmusica
    ddmusica Posts: 50 Member
    ddmusica wrote: »
    1. My butt and boobs left first-- :( I had to adjust to that, but my legs look better than they have in years!! Arms, too.
    2. Realizing that fast food was what was making me feel so horrible.
    3. I can now jog and not feel the fat juggling up and down on my tummy, butt and legs.
    4. My thighs don't rub together any longer- I used to use tons of powder - no more!

I was wondering if this would go away! It's so annoying lol and I feel like it's going to give me bad stretch marks from all the bouncing. When did you notice that this got better, if you don't mind me asking?

Hey- it took about 7 months- and it is soooo worth it!!!
  • twiigo
    twiigo Posts: 39 Member
    rhaerhae13 wrote: »
    The way my husband looks at me and the random encouraging things he says when he notices something different about my body.

Feeling my hip bones when laying down

Trying on the next size down jeans and they actually fit! Or trying on a shirt I haven't worn for months and realizing how much looser it is.

Inspiring other friends/family to get moving, I never thought of myself as "inspiring" but now a lot of my friends/family have started biking and eating right and saying it was because of me. That helps keep me motivated to reach my goals.

Frustrating looking in the mirror and not seeing changes. Especially on a bad weigh in day, the mind is a powerful thing.

Love this!!! So true!!
  • billymacintosh
    billymacintosh Posts: 71 Member
    This thread is amazing!
    farmerpam1 wrote: »
    Self confidence, pep in the step and seeing bones I never knew I had, are just a few. A love for being active, more like a NEED to be active every day. And clothes are fun to shop for, I go to a second hand shop and come home with a whole new wardrobe! Lots of positives, the only downside, I have one "friend" I've known for years and she's said nothing. Really? I mean complete strangers have commented, cashiers at the grocery, dentist etc, so it's not as if you can't tell I've lost about 40 pounds, I mean I'm barely 5 feet tall! Last time I saw her she was very passive aggressive, laughed because I was wearing a skirt. I've known her since high school and I was always the chubby one, she was tall and slim, but she's not anymore. I realized that my success made her feel like a failure, in her mind. The last time I saw her will be the last time.

You only need positive people in your life particularly when you're going through a life change, I remember when I was younger and had lost weight how quick people were to tell me that I was 'too thin' oddly enough those people (in hindsight) were a bit overweight. More power to you and well done on your achievement :) Billly x
  • Amytreetop
    Amytreetop Posts: 12 Member
    twiigo wrote: »
    How delicious corn on the cob is with just a teaspoon of butter/Becel & a bit of salt instead of being slathered with it - and all other vegetables for that matter.

I've noticed that many foods taste better because I'm no longer inhaling my plate to get another one. When you know one of something is enough you take time to eat it. :)

So true!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    How many selfies you'll take.... I usually hate taking selfies... but now I'm glad I've taken a couple through my weight loss journey so I can really see a difference even if the scale doesn't reflect that... I'm definitely taking more now that I'm enjoying my body more...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!