40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• gfox1966
    gfox1966 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hey Y'all...I've been looking for a group to join...I retired from the USCG last year and have gained about 30lbs!!! I sit at a computer all day for my job and it is KILLING me!!!! I had started working out and hitting it hard and then...I tore my right bicep...starting PT this week...I am walking about 4 miles a day and trying to jog a little...I need friends who will motivate me and kick my butt when I need it!!! Looking forward to getting friends to help as well...I will do my best to be a good influence for you! Send friend requests and let's get this party started!!!
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Ugh, I have been such a slacker since coming back from the cruise. Who knew that a week's cruise would suck every ounce of motivation to work out out of you once you got back! LOL
    I've had my son for the past two weeks since getting back. It's been awesome but he goes back to his dad today until next week.
    No excuses not to work out now! Guess it's back to the gym or outside for a run. LOL

Can NOT believe that my kiddo graduates from pre-school on Friday! I will officially have a Kindergartner on my hands! Where as the time gone?????? My baby is growing up!

Supposed to be a scorcher here today! We have the three H's hitting today. Hazy, Hot and Humid. Lovely. LOL
    If I do run, it will be at the gym. Or maybe my BF and I will take the dog for my 3 mile loop through the neighborhood just to get outside.

Hope that everyone has a fabulous day!!!! :)
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon Cool Kids! I had an fairly uneventful weekend- overall. I did have to take my car in to have the tire looked at and found out that I had a slit in my tire that couldn't be repaired- but I have an awesome brother who hooked me up with a good deal! Phew! We had a peaceful bbq with the family on Sunday and then I did absolutely nothing on Monday- loved it! I sat out and read a book for a while and then I watched a couple of movies- I have very few days like this so I took advantage of it! I did walk this weekend, but at a much slower pace due to my achilles issue. I used the elliptical this morning and didn't do too badly. I also managed to do fairly well with food choices this weekend. Hopefully I can keep it up! Don't want to get side tracked, but also need to be careful not to do any further damage.

Hope everyone had a great weekend. Pics everyone posted look great! Welcome to all the new people!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Hey Cool Kids. I was able to spend all morning in the garden yesterday. Then had to go in and finish my cleanup from Saturday night. {I blew it off on Sunday} My cardio log had lots of mopping and wrong end of a broom on it. Today I was able to mow for a little bit before the thunderstorms rolled in. We lost at least four longleaf pines {that I could see from the back deck} from the high winds. The AC guy was supposed to be back by this afternoon to install a new thermostat, but so far I haven't seen him. The thunderstorms have cooled it down a lot though. And we do have air in one end of the house.

2dxxrv1smpii.jpg
    ubp4bjrvilqx.jpg

Tonight's salad was all homegrown except the onion. And it shouldn't be too much longer before my onions are ready.

8i548ldfypse.jpg

• gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "Day: 10 of P90X/P90X+ hybrid Shoulders & Arms & Ab Ripper X"=Done!
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Have a great day everyone!!! The rain is supposed to clear out today. These gloomy days have been had to get motivated. We really needed the rain but I hope to see the sunshine today.

Workout today will be 25 minutes cardio followed by full body workout with weights:)

Alf - I hope you are doing okay down there in TX, the flooding looks horrible down there. Take care.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day! Not much to say this am. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
  • jwat90
    jwat90 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join this group. I'm 43 yrs old. I'm married with a teenage daughter. This is my second time around on MFP. I lost 20 lbs the first time and gained it all back. I'm determined to lose it again along with another 50. I need all the support I can get.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,959 Member
    Options
    Great pictures, larro!

Hi to the veteran CoolKids. And hi to the rookies, too.

I lifted yesterday and did a 2-hour hike. I have to run boring errands all day, today, so no work-out.

I HATE being unemployed....all the bull-crap errands fall to me. I HATE that.

BOOM!
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day Cool Kids!
    So much for maintaining my posting streak over the weekend. *sigh*. Oh well. It was a great weekend, though did include beer and chocolate cake along with seaweed-assisted pudding. It was a really fun wild harvest workshop on Sunday. It's really fun to see folks bravely toss seaweed into their mouths, and have a happily surprised look on their faces. We caught quite a few crabs, and one guy caught a ling cod, but it was too small to keep. The kelp pickles turned out great. Exhausted, but a good time.

Yesterday I didn't manage to do any exercise at all. Today I rode my bicycle in, and in about 10 minutes will go to our office's little gym space and do a strength training session. Tomorrow is my double gym day.

Love the pics Alf. That's what California really looks like. Not like L.A. Napa is a little south and inland from me. Here on the north coast it has been stubbornly overcast and drizzly. Only in the upper 50s. I know some of you are roasting, but I wouldn't mind a little heat here.

Larro, bummer about the pines. That salad looked divine!
    Caramel, killer challenge! You and your energy are boundless.
    Beeps, sounds like yesterday's workout will carry you through your boring chores today.
    Ruby, those old-school tall ships are so cool. A couple of them cruise up and down the west coast too. They were through just last month. Yours is really big compared to the ones that come here.
    KS, I'm so happy you got to have a real day off. Wonderful.
    Stephannie, I hear you! It can be hard to get your groove back after a lovely break, but you WILL!
    Furballs - way to persevere - sweaty & all!
    Welcome Patty. Thanks for the intro.
    Got to get to the workout room!
    Hi to everyone else.
    Welcome new folks. I hope you bookmark us and come back!

• larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Good Evening Cool Kids.

Curious, glad your wild feast turned out well. I'm going outside my usual experience level tonight, and trying acorn squash for the first time. I'm doing the butter and brown sugar thing. After that it probably doesn't even count as a veggie anymore.

Beeps, I know what you mean. These long stretches between Monday and Friday with no work are killing me. I have been going in once during the middle of the week to water lobby plants {and get some rest}.

Ruby, hope you got your sunshine today. We had a little early. Now we are getting the famous Florida liquid sunshine.

Welcome to the new guys and hello to everyone else.

I have got air again. It was a board that had gone out. He has it hooked up with a jumper until the new board can be ordered, but it's cool again.

Yesterday's storm also knocked over a lot of my sweet corn, and covered some of the Iraqi cucumbers with sand. This bad looking cloud came rolling in about 1400, but it's bark was worse than it's bite. We have had three hours of gentle rain so far. Much better than yesterday.

Hope everyone is having a good day,

Larro

s7oiuhuvs2j7.jpg
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,959 Member
    Options
    Great photo, larro!

We haven't had rain in a looooonggg time. There is a fire-ban throughout the province because it is soooooo dry!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    StephannieeL I can't imagine a kindergarten kid again. We're down to one in college and I'm ready for her to get done and move on. I want an empty nest!
    At least with grandkids you can send them home.
    A clear sign of my advancing age. :)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Maybe I will be the 'old chick' . . . 64 y/o. Mother of 2 sons, 4 granddaughters; on Medical Weight Loss Program and on a low calorie diet. Drinking shakes 2x a day; with 1 protein bar; and then a meal of no more than 550 calories a day. Surprisingly, I have not had that much trouble with it (after the 1st 2 days when I thought I'd starve) and lost 7lbs in 2 weeks. Thrilled to death as was my nurse at the MWLP and my husband.
  • GlacierGirl907
    GlacierGirl907 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Would love to join in as well. Will be 42 next month have a 21 year old daughter out on her own my oldest boy is 19 just graduated high school and have my 13 year old son still raising him. I wanted another child for the longest time even tied for the last 5 years but well no luck. I have Finally moved on and am now working on me and planning my future with my husband growing old together having our time. I've lost 17 pounds so far and have 15 more to go to feel complete. Always a work in progress so hello from Alaska .
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Funny thing about age. I have dreamed all my life about seeing Italy and Spain. At 46 I am finally going this next week, but I am more excited to share the experience with my kids than I am for finally doing something I have always wanted.
  • JackieUnlimited
    JackieUnlimited Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newbies!
    Hey Hey Hey to everyone else.
    Hope everyone is having a good hump day! Lots a great photos and crazy weather all over the place. Calling for severe thunderstorms here tonight. Kali and I got out for a half hour walk with my neighbour when I got home tonight. She seems to be doing okay but I know it hasn't really sunk in...1 week today.
    First day since Saturday for a run so got 'er done...46 minutes on the treadmill 5.24 km on a 1/8 split. I've been a bit laxiadaisy with my food, had some treats on the weekend so really feel I need to work that off and get back on track. All things considered the slip that I had I know I can recover from where as a year ago I would have binged like there was no tomorrow. Yes!

Bookmarking is one thing I have not figured out how to do on the app on my phone. I'm just real glad there are always new comments. :)
  • JackieUnlimited
    JackieUnlimited Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Okay...got the bookmarking figured out. Duh. LMHO
  • michelleroan
    michelleroan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm new here...I'm 41, a wife and mom (14 yr old daughter God help me, 3 dogs, and a cat!). I'm a hospice social worker which is super stressful but also extremely rewarding :) I have also been a paranormal researcher on the side for about 22 years.

My mom passed away suddenly last year of a pulmonary embolism and I've discovered that I'm a grief eater...apparently I like to eat my feelings! I've put on about 20 pounds in the last year or so and feel like a roly-poly. In the last month I've made the decision to get into shape and stop eating my feelings :) I've been doing tabata, zumba, and piyo (which kicked my butt by the way!) with some strength training mixed in. I've been trying to eat right too but that's been a bit tough since I have the palate of a 5 year old (pizza, chicken nuggets, and pb&j!).

I'm looking forward to talking to you guys and hearing about your successes and (hopefully!) sharing mine!
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    Funny thing about age. I have dreamed all my life about seeing Italy and Spain. At 46 I am finally going this next week, but I am more excited to share the experience with my kids than I am for finally doing something I have always wanted.

That is a true sign of a great parent!!! It will be way better enjoying with your loved ones than it would be alone. I am so jealous, Italy is on my bucket list. I need to start planning to make that happen!