Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I love post like these. As always @usmcmp fantastic post. I am probably going to start doing this as well based on all the crap going on in my lift and I am still starving at 2300 calories, 3000 just seems so much better.

Also, for those ladies out there that want to work on their backs sides, StrongCurves is supposed to be another great program.
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    great post
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    For those of you have have done significant recomps... can you talk a bit about progress over time? Specifically things like how you evaluated your progress, when you saw changes in how clothes fit, when you saw changes in how you looked in the mirror, etc.

When bulking or cutting, once you get past the initial learning curve phase, progress is fairly easy to track/see. That's not as much the case with recomping, and that can be a challenge mentally/emotionally for many. It might be good for people to see others' experiences with this so they have some context for what to expect (or not to expect).

To be 100% honest, I track through the veins. The more veins that show, the leaner I am getting. I think that's correct as I am not sure why else they would show. I am pretty vascular to begin with.

When I first started recomping, I had 0 veins showing anywhere. First the under forearms came, then the outer forearms and calves. Then the biceps and shoulder and thighs. Next stop...abs. That combine with measurements kinda told me what is happening. It can be a bit of a mind f*** though when the scale doesn't move all that much.

Okay...so this is interesting. I know I'm not very lean but I'm starting to see some veins I have not seen before. Mostly around my lower abdomen/bikini area and forearms.

Anyway, I've only been at it for 4-6 weeks and have obviously not much to show. My biggest struggle right now is trying to eat as much as possible without gaining.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm fascinated to see so many pro-bulk anti-recomp types come out in this thread – in favor of recomping.

I mean, I'm all for this. This is good info. I guess I was expecting more vitriol. I have this one starred as a reference.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm fascinated to see so many pro-bulk anti-recomp types come out in this thread – in favor of recomping.

I mean, I'm all for this. This is good info. I guess I was expecting more vitriol. I have this one starred as a reference.

I'm pro-bulk, in certain situations.
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Fair enough! The boards often deal in absolutes, which is rarely how things work.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

Fair enough! The boards often deal in absolutes, which is rarely how things work.

pro bulk or pro recomp

pro lift some heavy *kitten* na mean
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread, following along. Thanks for starting it, @usmcmp.
  • ferocityturbine
    ferocityturbine Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Excellent thread! Tagging for all the great info
  • psuLemon
    edited June 2015
    Options

I am pro-anything healthy and sustainable that will help you achieve your goals.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    For those of you have have done significant recomps... can you talk a bit about progress over time? Specifically things like how you evaluated your progress, when you saw changes in how clothes fit, when you saw changes in how you looked in the mirror, etc.

When bulking or cutting, once you get past the initial learning curve phase, progress is fairly easy to track/see. That's not as much the case with recomping, and that can be a challenge mentally/emotionally for many. It might be good for people to see others' experiences with this so they have some context for what to expect (or not to expect).

To be 100% honest, I track through the veins. The more veins that show, the leaner I am getting. I think that's correct as I am not sure why else they would show. I am pretty vascular to begin with.

When I first started recomping, I had 0 veins showing anywhere. First the under forearms came, then the outer forearms and calves. Then the biceps and shoulder and thighs. Next stop...abs. That combine with measurements kinda told me what is happening. It can be a bit of a mind f*** though when the scale doesn't move all that much.

Okay...so this is interesting. I know I'm not very lean but I'm starting to see some veins I have not seen before. Mostly around my lower abdomen/bikini area and forearms.

Anyway, I've only been at it for 4-6 weeks and have obviously not much to show. My biggest struggle right now is trying to eat as much as possible without gaining.

I just can't think of any other reason they would begin to show other than losing body fat? Maybe someone else has a rebuttal to why my process doesn't work? But I don't know....I just go with it and it seems okay.
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I just can't think of any other reason they would begin to show other than losing body fat? Maybe someone else has a rebuttal to why my process doesn't work? But I don't know....I just go with it and it seems okay.

Maybe the veins are getting larger? Or being pushed to the surface by increased muscle mass? I would guess it's a combination of both vein development and fat loss, since I'm seeing increased vascularity in some areas while I can also confirm I'm gaining fat on a bulk.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    following
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    So happy to see a thread on this that's started/moderated by a source I trust!

I'm lifting at a small deficit right now trying to drop a few BF%, but will be switching to recomp here shortly.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I just decided this week that I can't, for my mental health, continue eating at a deficit. I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease and let's just say the transition has been a bit rough mentally. I decided to go into maintenance.

I originally planned to drop 10 more pounds but I think I would rather reduce body fat.

I struggle with getting enough protein though. I try for 100g each day and sometimes that can be so difficult. I know I need to cut out some carbs. This thread is great and can't wait to read more.
  • psuLemon
    edited June 2015
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I am pro-anything healthy and sustainable that will help you achieve your goals.

I agree with this and added my own thought.

Yea, that is what I said ;) .

ninja mod edit FTW!
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    So it seems like there were no studies showing the benefit of varied daily calories vs. consistent daily calories at maintenence, but what did those people on here with successful recomps do? Also, do you have cheat meals? Every weekend I either have dinner out at a restaurant with friends or at their house with alcoholic drinks and less control over food. I always track but end up going 200-500 over maintenance. Right now I'm at a deficit so I don't gain weight because I am in an overall deficit for the week. But if I eat at maintenance every day and have 1-2 days a week over maintenance I'm sure I will gain over time. But if I eat at deficit some days to make up for these cheat meals it doesn't seem like I would gain much muscle on recomp. Any advice?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    So it seems like there were no studies showing the benefit of varied daily calories vs. consistent daily calories at maintenence, but what did those people on here with successful recomps do? Also, do you have cheat meals? Every weekend I either have dinner out at a restaurant with friends or at their house with alcoholic drinks and less control over food. I always track but end up going 200-500 over maintenance. Right now I'm at a deficit so I don't gain weight because I am in an overall deficit for the week. But if I eat at maintenance every day and have 1-2 days a week over maintenance I'm sure I will gain over time. But if I eat at deficit some days to make up for these cheat meals it doesn't seem like I would gain much muscle on recomp. Any advice?

IMO, find a method that works for you and stick with it. Generally, i look at calories over the week. If I know I am going out on the weekend, I will lower calories during the week to compensate. What you might find is that your best lifting days are the day after you have a cheat meal as your glycogen stores will probably be replenished more so than when you have greater deficits. I would suggest, it's probably ideal to still meet protein goals throughout the week.