Do you post "gym selfies?"

Options

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Didn't you know? If you are fit, you're supposed to be ashamed of that progress. You should not share it on Facebook, because that would be narcissistic. You should not post status updates of successes in the gym or progress made. That is braggery.

However... If you are volunteering at your child's school - THAT is FB worthy. Because that shows you are a good parent. Or if you make a delicious meal. You should post THOSE pics. Or, you can always feel free to post a meme about how you are NOT fit or beautiful, that you have curves and focus on your family. Those are acceptable.

But posting pictures that show you may have a nice physique? Despicable. Heaven forbid someone feels that you are telling them that you are a better at parenting er... cooking er... taking care of yourself. You may come across as having a better family life er... cooking skills er... body than them. And that's clearly wrong.

ETA: Oh and don't forget vacation photos... those are perfect photos to post. No one will ever think that you are posting those because you're richer than them, or have better opportunities. Everyone wants to see your posts of your world travels. But not your running route... or your new work out clothes. Fancy shoes? yes... Runners no.

Clear... right?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I don't post selfies too often. I do post clips of my workout though. Does that mean I'm extra narcissistic?

I need to start doing this, so I can see my form....especially on squats.
    Hard to get a good idea on your form doing a squat and trying to watch in a mirror.
  • nick40vmi
    nick40vmi Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    They're actually quite relevant.

First post of mine: it doesn't matter what anyone thinks of others posting gym selfies.

Second post of mine: studies are often started because someone has an emotional investment in the subject.

Third post of mine: confirmed by you later, that you don't know basic rules of most gyms.

I give your trolling a 3/10.

My point for your second claim is a scientific experiment should not have emotional variables that may skew the data.

Your third claim is claim was correct but by chance not by the evidence presented.

But by the nature of your posts they are to discourage me which I assure you they do not, but have hindered the ability of reasonable discussion. Please, end this behavior.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    Didn't you know? If you are fit, you're supposed to be ashamed of that progress. You should not share it on Facebook, because that would be narcissistic. You should not post status updates of successes in the gym or progress made. That is braggery.

However... If you are volunteering at your child's school - THAT is FB worthy. Because that shows you are a good parent. Or if you make a delicious meal. You should post THOSE pics. Or, you can always feel free to post a meme about how you are NOT fit or beautiful, that you have curves and focus on your family. Those are acceptable.

But posting pictures that show you may have a nice physique? Despicable. Heaven forbid someone feels that you are telling them that you are a better at parenting er... cooking er... taking care of yourself. You may come across as having a better family life er... cooking skills er... body than them. And that's clearly wrong.

Damn girl! Remind me not to piss you off! Lovely work, by the way. I did post a troll pic on page 2 too. Of course, I also posted a picture of a women getting pelted with hot dogs, so, what do I know?

haha... this is a sensitive topic for me. I am bombarded daily on FB with the articles that say it's ok to be overweight, to celebrate your body and who you are... to "rock those curves" and yet it is abundantly clear that ONLY applies if you are overweight... because god forbid you even HINT at being in shape, or going to the gym. You must be a bad mother / sacrificing your family if you are.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Re: point 2: they often do. That's why studies are peer-reviewed. To make sure the science is correct and not swayed by external circumstances.

The fact that you can't handle criticism is your problem. On the off chance that you're not just a Friday Troll, I'll advise you to think more about what you're trying to say/do. Create better threads and discussions. And actually try taking a stance. Your posts in this thread scream troll, as you haven't expressed any opinions - rather, tried to play "gotcha" with a couple of posters.
  • nick40vmi
    Options

ETA: Oh and don't forget vacation photos... those are perfect photos to post. No one will ever think that you are posting those because you're richer than them, or have better opportunities. Everyone wants to see your posts of your world travels. But not your running route... or your new work out clothes. Fancy shoes? yes... Runners no.

Clear... right?

This refers back to the previous question:

If one is already proud of their accomplishment, regardless of what it is, by posting for a public audience to see, does that constitute as 'narcissistic'?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Damn girl! Remind me not to piss you off! Lovely work, by the way. I did post a troll pic on page 2 too. Of course, I also posted a picture of a women getting pelted with hot dogs, so, what do I know?

haha... this is a sensitive topic for me. I am bombarded daily on FB with the articles that say it's ok to be overweight, to celebrate your body and who you are... to "rock those curves" and yet it is abundantly clear that ONLY applies if you are overweight... because god forbid you even HINT at being in shape, or going to the gym. You must be a bad mother / sacrificing your family if you are.

I have noticed and thought that as well....
    But luckily a lot of friends on FB are into working out and lifting and stuff.....so I see more of that, than I do of what you see. :smile:
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    nick40ghs wrote: »

Clear... right?

If one is already proud of their accomplishment, regardless of what it is, by posting for a public audience to see, does that constitute as 'narcissistic'?

Possibly, yes. Or they're being social.

Are you being narcissistic by posting a study which allows you to showcase your advanced intellect?
  • nick40vmi
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Re: point 2: they often do. That's why studies are peer-reviewed. To make sure the science is correct and not swayed by external circumstances.

The fact that you can't handle criticism is your problem. On the off chance that you're not just a Friday Troll, I'll advise you to think more about what you're trying to say/do. Create better threads and discussions. And actually try taking a stance. Your posts in this thread scream troll, as you haven't expressed any opinions - rather, tried to play "gotcha" with a couple of posters.

Clearly, this discussion has made you emotional and distressed. I am very sorry if I have offended you, but please your comments are unecessary. To prevent any more of said distress, I will cease to respond to your comments and I advise you to no longer take part in the forum.
  • belleamore1234
    belleamore1234 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Man, people who post gym selfies are so full of themselves :wink:

Since it is arguable your profile picture is a 'gym selfie' would you say you are "so full of 'yourself'"?

I was being sarcastic...that was kind of the joke that my profile is a "gym selfie"

Ah! So including your sarcasm, are you implicitly saying you do not believe a gym selfie is 'narcissistic' as the Brunel University study says? If this is true, would you care to elaborate?

Am I narcissistic? No

Am I proud of my achievements and how far I've come? Yes.

And so you should be x
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Clear... right?

Are you being narcissistic by posting a study which allows you to showcase your advanced intellect?

Advanced?
    -_-
  • belleamore1234
    belleamore1234 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Clear... right?

Advanced?
    -_-
    Exactly what I was thinking lol
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I take selfies at the gym, but they don't go to my facebook page. I'm using an app called PumpUp and I get the option of adding a picture when I log activities. I've found that when I look back through these pictures, I can end up with some pretty surprising differences to use for progress pictures. I'm proud of what I've accomplished and I don't see anything wrong with sharing with others the hard work I put into getting to where I am. Now, I tend not to post these pictures or talk about my diet/fitness things on facebook. Not that there is anything wrong with it, I just prefer to share with people who are also working on their own fitness goals. If that makes me narcissistic, well *shrug*
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    shhhh Cranq... I am also testing his ability to perceive sarcasm. :wink:
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    shhhh Cranq... I am also testing his ability to perceive sarcasm. :wink:

Well according to how he responded to my initial post, he won't get it.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Clear... right?

He didn't actually post a study. He vaguely referenced a study that doesn't even exist yet.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    I made the mistake of posting a pic on FB that revealed abs. I was in a bathing suit and was fishing with my girls. We caught an amazing bass.

I received a private message from a "friend" telling me to cover up, that the person was shocked that I was so obviously calling attention to myself, and they thought I was a better person than that.

I save them for here now.