Ayurvedic nutrition for weight loss (and general sanity)

Options

Replies

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Hubby suffers from two others; glaucoma and low thyroid. I used to moan that at least we could have coordinated our chronic health conditions so we could share medications, but noooo.

I would not trust anything other than synthroid to treat low thyroid.

I would not dare try a traditional treatment for glaucoma. The consequences of poor judgement is blindness!

Just FYI... a lot of thyroid patients do better on liothyronine rather than synthroid.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Oh, in for this, for reasons...
    For many chronic conditions, there is no cure in allopathy

Yes, that's true. I suffer from 4 of them. I'm on treatments to alleviate their symptoms, but I'll never be rid of them. That's what chronic means.

Do tell which chronic condition current medicine can't cure that ayurveda can.

I await your typical non-response.

Incorrect. A condition is labeled chronic when one suffers with it for eight weeks or more, not that there is no cure.
    I'm headed out for dinner, so I can't get to your flame bait now.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    http://cmcd.sph.umich.edu/what-is-chronic-disease.html
    Agrees with Mamapeach, and I always agree with University of Michigan, but I'm biased.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Hubby suffers from two others; glaucoma and low thyroid. I used to moan that at least we could have coordinated our chronic health conditions so we could share medications, but noooo.

I would not trust anything other than synthroid to treat low thyroid.

I would not dare try a traditional treatment for glaucoma. The consequences of poor judgement is blindness!

Just FYI... a lot of thyroid patients do better on liothyronine rather than synthroid.

Hmmm... taking it alone is dicey. It's hard to monitor because of its quick absorption rate, and it's very easy for it to cross the line from helping hypothyroidism into creating hyperthyroidism. It's usually prescribed together with levothyroxine.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @Chrysalid2014 , thanks for that. I see that liothyronine is just as synthetic as synthroid, so I am reassured. Hubby's thyroid levels are fine now, so we'll let sleeping lions lay.

I see @miriamtob continues to tithe the mint and the cummin.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »

Yes, that's true. I suffer from 4 of them. I'm on treatments to alleviate their symptoms, but I'll never be rid of them. That's what chronic means.

Incorrect. A condition is labeled chronic when one suffers with it for eight weeks or more, not that there is no cure.

Wasn't a flame bait. Nice try. Please answer the question. You keep making claims you won't back up.

As to chronic? I'll quote part of senecarr's link for you.
    Chronic Disease is a long-lasting condition that can be controlled but not cured. Chronic illness affects the population worldwide. As described by the Centers for Disease Control, chronic disease is the leading cause of death and disability in the United States. It accounts for 70% of all deaths in the U.S., which is 1.7 million each year. Data from the World Health Organization show that chronic disease is also the major cause of premature death around the world even in places where infectious disease are rampant. Although chronic diseases are among the most common and costly health problems, they are also among the most preventable and most can be effectively controlled.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    For many chronic conditions, there is no cure in allopathy.
    First extraordinary claim that demands proof. Just a year ago I suffered from some of the most common chronic conditions in the western world including obesity, diabetes type 2, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. All are now resolved using conventional treatment.

Yay, Science! I'm happy for you.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    @Chrysalid2014 , thanks for that. I see that liothyronine is just as synthetic as synthroid, so I am reassured. Hubby's thyroid levels are fine now, so we'll let sleeping lions lay.

I see @miriamtob continues to tithe the mint and the cummin.

That is the classiest way I've ever seen someone call a spade a spade on the forums.

Well played.

• miriamtob
    Options

Wasn't a flame bait. Nice try. Please answer the question. You keep making claims you won't back up.

As to chronic? I'll quote part of senecarr's link for you.
    Chronic Disease is a long-lasting condition that can be controlled but not cured. Chronic illness affects the population worldwide. As described by the Centers for Disease Control, chronic disease is the leading cause of death and disability in the United States. It accounts for 70% of all deaths in the U.S., which is 1.7 million each year. Data from the World Health Organization show that chronic disease is also the major cause of premature death around the world even in places where infectious disease are rampant. Although chronic diseases are among the most common and costly health problems, they are also among the most preventable and most can be effectively controlled.

Re: Aryuveda and Chronic disease
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3149400/#!po=91.9355
    Chronic diseases can be controlled, but not cured. Fine. I was diagnosed with chronic sinusitis. I got it under control with an herbal protocol, which involved an herbal infusion and tincture formula, which I took for about a week. Now whenever I feel my sinuses acting up, I only need a ~1/2 teaspoon of the tincture and it is under control. I was considering myself cured.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    The skeptics here are pointing out the Emperor has no clothes, while the believer is wanting us all to debate the thread-count of the suit's pocket lining.
  • miriamtob
    Options
    When the underlying cause of chronic dis-ease is truly mitigated, the symptoms are sent into remission and the treatment has little to no side-effects, as many root causes can be addressed purely with diet and lifestyle changes. Herbs can gently or powerfully help things along. Doctors are not taught in medical school how to give herbs in the proper dosage, context, or preparation. A very few have herbalist training, so they refer to an herbalist who takes a holistic approach to healing and the tradition of herbal healing encompasses the whole person. The modality is closely in line with modern physiologic science, who's basis is in describing what brings the body to homeostasis (i.e. balance, harmony, etc...). Understanding fluid compartments and tissue states exists in both modern physiology and CAM modalities, such as Aryuveda.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    So ayurveda doesn't cure, just puts chronic conditions in remission. Same as regular medicine. Thing is a lot of chronic conditions cycle between flare and remission cycles anyway. All on their own.
  • senecarr
    Options
    The modality is closely in line with modern physiologic science, who's basis is in describing what brings the body to homeostasis (i.e. balance, harmony, etc...). Understanding fluid compartments and tissue states exists in both modern physiology and CAM modalities, such as Aryuveda.
    Homeostasis isn't about balance or harmony, that's ascribing teleological reasoning to an evolutionary system. That's another reason a heck of a lot of alternative medicine is a philosophical failure - it starts with a false basis for how the body operates. Bodies do not have harmony - they have not capacity for intent.
  • miriamtob
    Options
    Great article. And see, even doctors describe the body as being out of homeostasis, harmony, balance, equilibrium, etc...all the time!
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ams2.17/abstract

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    An online published article. Funny. Find a peer reviewed study and you might have a point.
  • miriamtob
    Options
    It's from an international peer reviewed journal: journal of acute medicine and surgery.
  • senecarr
    Options
    Great article. And see, even doctors describe the body as being out of homeostasis, harmony, balance, equilibrium, etc...all the time!
    Can you find me a reputable peer reviewed article in a high impact journal using harmony to describe bodily processes?
    Harmony is a human concept, not one nature looks for. I believe I recall even seeing biologist want to move away from homeostasis being used so much because it gives lay people the idea things get to a static equilibrium that they stay at.
  • margaretlb4
    margaretlb4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Can you find me a reputable peer reviewed article in a high impact journal using harmony to describe bodily processes?
    Harmony is a human concept, not one nature looks for. I believe I recall even seeing biologist want to move away from homeostasis being used so much because it gives lay people the idea things get to a static equilibrium that they stay at.

if you look at author info it says harvard medical school? sounds reputable.

• PeachyCarol
    edited June 2015
    Options

I looked it up. It is peer reviewed, but it seems to be limited to a Japanese Association. It's definitely not a high impact journal, for sure.

There might be some cultural issues involved with using words like harmony, or translation issues going on.

Also, if you parse the grammar of the title of the article, it's not using harmony to describe the state of the body, but rather using harmony to describe the state of the body's homeostasis as opposed to a state of homeostatic "discordance".

I think we've got a language barrier thing happening here. Nothing more.

• margaretlb4
    margaretlb4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options

I looked it up. It is peer reviewed, but it seems to be limited to a Japanese Association. It's definitely not a high impact journal, for sure.

There might be some cultural issues involved with using words like harmony, or translation issues going on.

Also, if you parse the grammar of the title of the article, it's not using harmony to describe the state of the body, but rather using harmony to describe the state of the body's homeostasis as opposed to a state of homeostatic "discordance".

I think we've got a language barrier thing happening here. Nothing more.

i dunno. James Lederer doesn't sound like a Japanese name.