WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,325 Member
    Options
    Up early! These beautiful summer mornings just urge you to WAKE UP, WAKE UP! :D

Took a photo just this minute of our back garden in the morning light. Now will start on some floor exercises to get ahead. :)

2rr4jpa0w0mf.jpg

Heather in Hampshire UK
  • KMHilinski
    KMHilinski Posts: 14 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi! May I join the group? I am a 50 year old with 68 pounds to lose! Second time around with MFP...haven't joined a group though..thought it might help keep me motivated!
    June goals:

Walk everyday for 90 minutes, and log my food and water more consistently as that really keeps you on track....haven't been good at that! :p

Kat
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,650 Member
    Options
    Heather - Great picture, and I love that it is "tagged" 10pm California time, and it is 10:40 pm and I am just closing up shop and going to bed.

I had to share that as of right now, I am completely caught up in my business, all the invoicing is done, all the embroidery is done, and I am ready for vacation that doesn't start until Thursday!!! I am so happy with this, I will do a couple of my own projects and work ahead on my classes.... Working long hours has paid off!

Good Morning to the UK gang, Good night to the USA/canada gang... and gosh I don't know to Lesley!

Kim in N. California
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,650 Member
    Options
    welcome Kat, we are a very chatty group... I am just heading off to bed - but keep logging and visiting !
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Sunday evening and Shepherd's Pie made and ready for oven, vegies to get ready to steam.
    We drove into Bunie and then to Romaine Park and walked Blaize. First time we have walked there since Mildred died, Blaize LOVED it and wanted to chase the ducks LOL
    Lesley lives in Australia lol
    10,000 steps DONE for day, need to look at Jeannette's site for what I need to do tomorrow, PLUS get out of bed and do cardio before breakfast EVERY morning
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Hello gang.
    Carey - As for my goals , spending more time on my deck is definitely winning this week.

Janet - wow! 3 miles before breakfast ?

Alison - Please remember your own worth. We are all here for you.

This tablet is annoying me. Keeps auto correcting people 'so names.

Had a great day , phone calls , coffee on the deck, breakfast with friends , a picnic at Park Lake. Grandchildren had a great time.
    Sharon in Lethbridge
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Joyce: your friend sounds like my friend on the computer!!! Except mine calls every once in a while because she did something and her WiFi is now “broken” or her email has disappeared, etc. I do admire her persistence in wanting to learn, but I don’t always have two hours to go over and try to fix things.

Heather: beautiful back yard!

Kim: what a great feeling! You deserve it!

Yesterday I bought a dress for a special occasion. Unfortunately it’s much larger than I would have wanted. Still, nice to have something special.

People who are tired from work: how do you get exercise in? I just can't fathom it at this point. Unfortunately "getting in a few extra steps" won't work for me: I cannot walk much at all because of arthritis and foot problems.

Hope we all have a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png

• peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Janet Mc: I clicked on your link and followed it to Facebook. Very interesting nature pics. My in-laws lived in NO's during the 1940's when he attended Tulane. They always spoke of the wonderful food - he said that if you bought a nickel beer they would give you a free shrimp po boy to go with it. My MIL made the most delicious seafood gumbo which I have never been able to duplicate.

Heather: Your garden looks so peaceful. I grew up in the country and remember how nice it was in the early morning with the windows up....the sounds and the fresh smells.

Carol/GA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Heather I agree with Carol my first thought was peaceful.

On the road today. It will be a long day. Takes 9-10.5 hours depending on how often I stop.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • luvinlife2012
    luvinlife2012 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    KMHilinski wrote: »
    Hi! May I join the group? I am a 50 year old with 68 pounds to lose! Second time around with MFP...haven't joined a group though..thought it might help keep me motivated!
    June goals:

Walk everyday for 90 minutes, and log my food and water more consistently as that really keeps you on track....haven't been good at that! :p

Kat

• luvinlife2012
    luvinlife2012 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Kat! This is my second go around as well and this is the MOST AMAZING group of women. You are right that touching in does help with consistency.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Chris, thank you so much on the SO. Now I will remember it.

Mary, so happy for you about the house. For some weird reason I felt like it was going to work out. Now you can take a breath. (but keep packing.) lol

Allison
    , I hope you have a nice and relaxing dinner.

Mia, good point! Let someone else do it or do without.

Mom216, do you go by any other name than your handle? smiley-talk003.gif It would sure be easier to call you something other than Mom216. If so, it would be nice if you signed each post with the name you want us to call you. LOL I love your black Lab.

Cory, I hope your knee heels quickly. Also hope you get lots of eggs and the chicks n dog get along well.

Katla, if the raspberries were over ripe, could you use them to cook something? I do like the flavor but they aren’t my favorites. I guess if I had to pick a favorite fruit it might be peaches. Gosh the corn has been so good and sweet this year and not that I learned to make it in the microwave and slide out with no silks, I love to cook it. 

Joyce, even though born and raised a Southerner, I don’t so much care for country ham. Now I agree that Hardee’s biscuits are wonderful. Wish I could still eat them, but am living quite nicely without. I hope you slept well going to bed earlier than normal.

Heather, Beautiful back yard. Too bad it’s so tiny that you don’t have room to turn around. smiley-confused009.gif

Kat, welcome to the group. smiley-whacky024.gif You did join, just by posting. Now your first assignment is to log everything you eat, every day. That is easy and will let you see what you are doing. lol This is a very supportive group of ladies and they also give out wonderful, useable information. Come often and chat when you feel like it. We will support you in this journey.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

It’s another beautiful day in Myrtle Beach. The weather has been great for the past 4 days with only a passing shower, so the Carolina Music Fest has been a huge success. This morning, DH and I are going to the beach for a few hours. He is so good about taking me but only wants to stay 2 or 3 hours, whereas I could sit and people watch all day. I might even try some walking on the beach, which I haven’t been able to do for about the past 10 years. I still find things daily that have changed after only losing 50 lbs. I can’t wait to see what life is like when I reach my goal. All I know is life is wonderful and God is good.

Have a fantastic day, my friends and do something nice for yourself.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,132 Member
    Options
    Goodness, just finding my way to June!

Lin
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Just so glad to be home where all the cooties are ours.smiley-gen013.gif

The Fitbit's charging in the last USB port available on my laptop, and I want to run as soon as its battery is full, so I thought I'd drop in and read, which I have done.

And, of course, there's coffee that tastes right, food that smells right. And funnily enough, while we were gone, the press release on my "Meet the Author" for the book made the front page of the local paper, The Fort Stockton Pioneer. It topped the local news on the electronic version--and on the paper version, was front page below the fold, which still makes me quite happy. And yes, if you select the link, you'll see I am a columnist for the paper, I'm on page 4A, opinion page, every week, as well. Just a busy little girl these days.

My biggest accomplishments over the last three days--no fender benders in the middle of the bajillion people driving a whole lot faster than I'm used to in the city. and I did not gain weight with no home-cooked food and only one real workout over the last three days... I was exactly the same weight this morning as when I left... and I'm counting that as a true victory. It was one of my goals for the month, in fact, to keep the calories in control while traveling. So yay for me...
    smiley-gen014.gif

And, a friend who has seen pictures, but hasn't actually seen me since one marriage and 130 pounds ago is going to stop by the ranch and spend the night on Monday... she's seen pictures, and we touch base on Facebook occasionally, but she got back in touch with me because she and her husband read my book and loved it... They were couple friends, you know? and the ex- kept them in the divorce. He spends holidays with them, often enough. Should be interesting, and it's only for one night. Not sure why the recon--and interested to find out.

Hope everyone's Sunday is peaceful, and for those on the other side of the world, that your week's beginning well and happily...

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!!

Heather - beautiful peaceful yard!!

Must run, DGD is chattering away in her bed! She will be up soon. So best get some breakfast ready.

Talk later
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,325 Member
    Options
    Lisa - congrats on all your victories! :flowerforyou:

Just done LOADS of weeding and bean sowing. Ouff! It's hot out there! :laugh:

Made Chorizo and Lentil stew for tonight. Comes out at 350 - 400 cals . Having it with roasted cauliflower! :D

I've been researching the possible December stay in France. An apartment we love was sooooooo expensive, I have emailed them asking if we can have a reduction for two solid weeks. (They rent it by the night) Haven't heard back yet. No direct flights, but we can fly from Southampton and change in Paris. Not toooooo bad. :)
    Here's hoping.

Looked at some language sites today for Norwegian. I would like to learn a few words. Just Hello, Thank you, that kind of thing. Two beers please! :laugh:

Heather UK

• SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Friends,

Mary: So glad that the house is going to work out after all! Victory.gif

Sharon: Yay for the deck, what a wonderful day you had yesterday! I managed to have breakfast on my deck yesterday...oh how I love to do that!

Heather: Love the pic, it looks so restful ... can't wait until I can retire onto my acreage.

Margaret: That's a long drive, and here I complain about one that is only 1/3 of that. I hope you stop often to stretch.

Janet: The Newbie emoticon is awesome! You must have looked long and hard to find it/make it. :laugh:

LisaH: Yay for you indeed, managing not to gain while travelling is a massive accomplishment.

I had a very busy day yesterday. 4 hours of Tai Chi (over 1000 cals ) and then company overnight. Well my meal was a bust in my opinion anyway. I tried baked potatoes in the crockpot, they cooked ok but for some reason when I made them into the Tex Mex Spuds they just didn't taste the same. Maybe it was because I didn't finish them in the regular oven but used the FlavorWave air oven...I don't know but I liked them better the first time I made them. I also made the meatloaf that the family loved but cooked it in the crockpot since I was going to be away all afternoon. It just tasted wrong, I think that was the texture rather than the flavor though. It seem that it steamed rather than baked, so if I try it this way again (doubtful) then I'll need to reduce the amount of liquid and add coarser bread crumbs. Also had spinach salad... which everyone loved and vanilla ice cream with a raspberry sauce that my son and I made with wild raspberries that I had picked last year.

I have another 4 hours of Tai Chi today, hope I make it through the whole day. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thought for the day:

“Laugh, even when you feel too sick or too worn out or tired.
    Smile, even when you're trying not to cry and the tears are blurring your vision.
    Sing, even when people stare at you and tell you your voice is crappy.
    Trust, even when your heart begs you not to.
    Twirl, even when your mind makes no sense of what you see.
    Frolick, even when you are made fun of.
    Kiss, even when others are watching.
    Sleep, even when you're afraid of what the dreams might bring.
    Run, even when it feels like you can't run any more.
    And, always, remember, even when the memories pinch your heart. Because the pain of all your experience is what makes you the person you are now. And without your experience---you are an empty page, a blank notebook, a missing lyric. What makes you brave is your willingness to live through your terrible life and hold your head up high the next day. So don't live life in fear. Because you are stronger now, after all the crap has happened, than you ever were back before it started.”
    ― Alysha Speer

June Goals:

1. Do menu planning for June (in progress...3 weeks almost complete)
    2. Eat 3 meals a day
    3. Log all meals
    4. Plan and Do one fun thing each week (W1: Hot stone massage and weekend of Tai Chi with friend)
    5. Ride stationary bike 3 times a week for 30 minutes.

Carey-Edmonton
  • mom216
    mom216 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Welcome KMHilinski! I too am new to the group. Please join us on this exciting journey! I don't have the time or energy to write huge posts - I kind of hover and add my thoughts.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
    Morning peeps- BEAUTIFUL sunny morning here, having a cup of coffee with the fire nearby . Supposed to be near 90 today, ahhhh I'm in heaven. B back later
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Boy, have I ever MISSED this thread; having to waddle though threads to find it. Finally found it, and have 'bookmarked' it for when I want to come back to it. Which is almost daily . . . now it is at page 18; I've missed a WHOLE lot. Will take me days to try to catch up and then stay current. So many 'newbies' here. This is the absolute BEST thread ever. I hate the ones that are so 'raunchy'. Makes you 'wish' you had a way to complain and have them taken off; but, now that I have this thread bookmarked I won't have to scroll down in order to find it. I am doing pretty good at keep my caloric intake at 960; and making some meals in the process. I'm sure when I reach my goal weight . . . I'll be making sure that I at least stay at 1000 - 1100 to maintain. We have not talked about what to expect when I do; but, I am pretty sure that I won't be needing the protein shakes and bars, unless I choose to buy them just as a back-up. I've been plugging in what I 'think' I will eat per day (ahead of time); and then adjusting by the end of the day. I've even gone 'out to eat' a few times and have only gone over maybe 4x in 2 weeks; but, not by much. Upped my intake of water and that helps a lot ... but for the first few days I'd have to make sure I knew where the bathroom/restrooms were (so I could make extra pit stops). I usually eat a fairly big breakfast; keeps me going throughout the day. It helps if I know ahead of time when we are going 'out to eat' so that I can account for that. I even stayed under my CI on a day that I had to go to a reception at an art show. Did not eat any of the sweets; and looked up 'wedding reception food' and then I 'tripled' the number of servings, just to be safe. Too much good food to chose from. Yesterday I got in the pool with my youngest granddaughter and played, walked, and marched around in the pool for 2 hours. Got a bit too much sun on my face; but, it is turning tan. Just have to keep a lot of 'lotion' on it so it won't peel. I've got to start at the first page and read down to the last so that I will know what you ladies (and any men) have been up to lately. Lenora :p