Sugars

Options

Every day I go way over on my sugar. 98% of it is from fresh fruits. Today I am already over by 24g.have a lot of sugar but most of it is from 1 banana at 14 g and strawberry salad from Wendys at 13 g. Can this sugar be ignored in the counter? If not how can you possibly stay under the daily intake of 24g.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My personal experience: I ignore sugar and I lose weight consistently. I know there are other users who do the same.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    My personal experience: I ignore sugar and I lose weight consistently. I know there are other users who do the same.

Same.

MFP's default sugar goal is notoriously low. Unless you have a medical condition that requires you to monitor your sugar intake, I wouldn't give it a second though.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I go over every day, unless you have medical reason, then don't worry about it!!
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Yep, I've never tracked or paid attention to my sugar intake. It hasn't hindered my success at all :)
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't worry too much about sugar that occurs naturally like in fruits and veggies. However, I do keep an eagle eye on anything else, particularly packaged goods. That is why I rarely eat anything from a box or package and stick with fresh, whole foods. I also avoid drinks with lots of sugar like sweet tea and sodas and juices. Although, I am known on the weekends to make TX chocolate sheet cake with homemade fudge icing. Gotta feed the processed sugar beast on occasion.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    I had that very question when I started almost 1 1/2 years ago. 75lbs lighter, I don't worry about that macro too much. Katie Couric wants you to believe that sugar is the devil. Have you ever seen it go down to Georgia and play a fiddle? I think not. As a result, sugar is not the devil.

Perfect way to identify the devil! Love it. I think you should post this on every "sugar is the devil" thread we have.

OP, I know that was not your intent with your question. Just a common topic around here that generally devolves quickly.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I don't even track my sugars. :)
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I personally track carbs and fiber but not sugar and have been consistently loosing. I adjusted my fiber goal up per my Doctor's advice. Most of my sugar is from high fiber fruits and vegetables. I avoid refined sugar, corn syrup and sugar alcohols so I don't see a need to track it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Swap it out for fibre
  • debbiepringle
    debbiepringle Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I don't even track my sugars. :)
    This woman is like a correct answer machine on any thread.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I go over every day, unless you have medical reason, then don't worry about it!!

I have a medical reason to ignore "adding" sugar

But i eat my fruits...lots of it.
    I just dont add sugar to food. I eat sometimes honey and syrup but use also the sugar free options

And guess what OP....i dont even track my sugar anymore....and last stats showed my sugar levels are excellent!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Swap it out for fibre

This
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Every day I go way over on my sugar. 98% of it is from fresh fruits. Today I am already over by 24g.have a lot of sugar but most of it is from 1 banana at 14 g and strawberry salad from Wendys at 13 g. Can this sugar be ignored in the counter? If not how can you possibly stay under the daily intake of 24g.

Where did the 24 grams come from? MFP's default is supposed to be 15% of total calories, so even at 1200 that should be 45 grams. Did you input a custom goal? I'm curious because I've seen that number come up before and am wondering if it is a bug.

Otherwise, what the others said. I watch sugar from time to time to make sure I'm not getting it from anywhere surprising (I never have) and just to see overall level, but I usually prefer to watch fiber. I find that at a higher calorie level (1600 or more, say) I tend not to go over, but that it would be quite easy for me to go over the standard 45 gram goal for people with 1200 calories with only fruits, veggies, dairy, and stuff like beets and sweet potatoes, and since I don't see any benefit to cutting out those foods (or the reasonable amounts of sweets I include), I ignore the limit. I think basing it on percentage of calories for people eating at a sharp deficit sometimes can be misleading.

You will see various recommendations for lower amounts, like 5% of calories or 25 grams, but all such recommendations from reputable sources refer only to "added sugar" and not to sugar from fruit and veggies and dairy. Also, the reasoning for them (for example, the WHO) is often in large part to reduce the likelihood of eating an unbalanced, non nutrient dense diet or eating too many calories, so they aren't so applicable to those eating at a deficit and carefully monitoring their diets to be sure they get adequate nutrients.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

Same. I swapped out tracking sugar and track fiber instead. Still steadily losing weight.
  • fearnsey71
    fearnsey71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You only need to worry about the processed sugars. Sugar from fruit & veg eaten in it's raw state is generally ok because it still contains fibre, which will take the body longer to convert into energy. It's when you blend the fruit (either into smoothies or into juice) that the sugar becomes an issue. The fibre is pretty much removed and the body processes the sugars much more quickly. Well this is what i was told when I went through my diabetes clinics (I'm type 2). I lost my first 14lb just cutting out as much process sugar as possible. When that left me plateauing I then started CICO and exercise and I've lost another 17lb and thats since the 10th of March this year.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    fearnsey71 wrote: »
    You only need to worry about the processed sugars. Sugar from fruit & veg eaten in it's raw state is generally ok because it still contains fibre, which will take the body longer to convert into energy. It's when you blend the fruit (either into smoothies or into juice) that the sugar becomes an issue. The fibre is pretty much removed and the body processes the sugars much more quickly. Well this is what i was told when I went through my diabetes clinics (I'm type 2). I lost my first 14lb just cutting out as much process sugar as possible. When that left me plateauing I then started CICO and exercise and I've lost another 17lb and thats since the 10th of March this year.

I don't think blending a food -- without applying any sort of filter (like a juicer has) -- will remove the fiber.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    fearnsey71 wrote: »
    You only need to worry about the processed sugars. Sugar from fruit & veg eaten in it's raw state is generally ok because it still contains fibre, which will take the body longer to convert into energy. It's when you blend the fruit (either into smoothies or into juice) that the sugar becomes an issue.

Not really.

First of all, not everyone is diabetic, and thus many of us don't have issues with how our bodies react to sugar (even not combined with fiber). Also, pairing sugar (and in this case sugar would be no different than any other carbs) with various other nutrients like protein and fat also can slow the digestion, regardless of fiber. And if you have just exercised or are trying to build muscle, an insulin spike can be a good thing, and quick carbs are often wanted--white rice can be a great post workout (or immediately pre workout meal). Exercise also tends to make people more insulin sensitive, of course.

Second, and the bigger point, is that the sugar in fruit and veggies does not contain fiber, of course. Instead, fruits and veggies also contain fiber, but this makes them no different than if you, say, add sugar to a rhubarb sauce or some oatmeal. (And milk sugar, which is just as "unprocessed"--same with honey and syrup, I assume--is not paired with fiber at all.)

Finally, smoothies still have fiber, and shouldn't be much different than eating the whole fruit (unless you tend to be someone who just is not as psychologically satisfied when drinking calories, like me). Juicing does remove the fiber (which is why I personally am not on board with the juicing phase, although if juice tastes good to you it can certainly fit in a sensible diet barring health issues. I like whole fruits and veggies better, though.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure that when I put fruit into my blender the fiber doesn't magically disappear into thin air. Could be wrong, though.
This discussion has been closed.