Say no to sugar

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    am I right in thinking that pre-diabetes is a medical state that is a result of being overweight and that weight rather than sugar consumption is the major correlation here

(really do not know much about this so just interested)

from a quick google

"Prediabetes is when blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes. Prediabetes means a person is at increased risk for developing type 2 diabetes, as well as for heart disease and stroke. Many people with prediabetes develop type 2 diabetes within 10 years.
    However, modest weight loss and moderate physical activity can help people with prediabetes delay or prevent type 2 diabetes." from http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/diagnosis/#2

and the NHS

"Type 2 diabetes causes are usually multifactorial - more than one diabetes cause is involved. Often, the most overwhelming factor is a family history of type 2 diabetes.

There are a variety of risk factors for type 2 diabetes, any or all of which increase the chances of developing the condition. These include:

Obesity
    Living a sedentary lifestyle
    Increasing age
    Bad diet
    Other type 2 diabetes causes such as pregnancy or illness can be type 2 diabetes risk factors."

so is it not weight that is the issue and not sugar consumption?
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone......today, is a week from me not using sugar!! My Doctor told to stop drinking or eating sweets that contain sugar because I may end up to be a diabetic. So I have given up sugar folks. I feel alive and refreshed. From a week today...I haven't ate or drank any added sugars...only if in fruits or good carbs. My body feels amazing. No more sluggishness, I'm not tired or having the morning headaches. We can do it...lets get healthy. Feel free to share or add me. Thanks!!

I already posted on your other thread about sugar, but I used to be a pre-diabetic and my doctor told me to lose weight, and said nothing about cutting back on sugar to improve my glucose numbers. Followed his advice, started eating at a calorie deficit, continued to eat all the foods I enjoyed, did not cut anything out that I liked and I continued to eat sugar.

Results-an almost 60lb weight loss and glucose numbers in the normal range (last fasting glucose test was an 86, compared to the 120 range back when I was overweight). All my other blood panels have improved as well-total cholesterol 150, triglycerides 49 etc etc.

And on top of all of that-I've been successfully maintaining for two years now. All while continuing to eat the foods I enjoy, including ones that contain sugar.

So yeah, sugar isn't a big deal (unless you have a medical condition where you have to monitor it).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Remember when Nancy Reagan was on Diff'rent Strokes and telling Arnold and Willis and all the kids (Kimberly might have been off at boarding school with Mrs. Garrett) to just say no to sugar? That was totally the best.

(Yes, I'm old.)
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I say YES and will go downstairs to get some Skittles...
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    So I have given up sugar folks.

If you were eating/drinking it in excess and had health issues that would be negatively affected by it, good for you. I tend to think that doctors make these blanket recommendations if they think their patient can't moderate for some reason (or simply because they assume everyone cheats, which I find a negative approach and don't like), but it's certainly possible you have not successfully moderated in the past. Sounds like it's early days but that you are working on improving your health and enjoying your new plan. If you do start to struggle (and even if not) there's a great community of experienced T2 and pre-diabetic/former pre-diabetics on MFP who will likely have wise advice for you.
    My body feels amazing. No more sluggishness, I'm not tired or having the morning headaches. We can do it...lets get healthy. Feel free to share or add me. Thanks!!

I feel good too, I'm not sluggish (I ran 7 miles yesterday, plus spent extra time in the gym doing some cardio stuff), and I don't have morning headaches. I do seem to be woken up at a ridiculously early time so am tired, but I blame my cat, not sugar. I generally am not tired during the day. I think I'm pretty healthy too, and eat a good diet.

Are you saying I need to quit all sugar (fruit and dairy too?) to be healthy? Even though I eat it in moderation within an overall healthy diet?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

If you were eating/drinking it in excess and had health issues that would be negatively affected by it, good for you. I tend to think that doctors make these blanket recommendations if they think their patient can't moderate for some reason (or simply because they assume everyone cheats, which I find a negative approach and don't like), but it's certainly possible you have not successfully moderated in the past. Sounds like it's early days but that you are working on improving your health and enjoying your new plan. If you do start to struggle (and even if not) there's a great community of experienced T2 and pre-diabetic/former pre-diabetics on MFP who will likely have wise advice for you.
    My body feels amazing. No more sluggishness, I'm not tired or having the morning headaches. We can do it...lets get healthy. Feel free to share or add me. Thanks!!

I feel good too, I'm not sluggish (I ran 7 miles yesterday, plus spent extra time in the gym doing some cardio stuff), and I don't have morning headaches. I do seem to be woken up at a ridiculously early time so am tired, but I blame my cat, not sugar. I generally am not tired during the day. I think I'm pretty healthy too, and eat a good diet.

Are you saying I need to quit all sugar (fruit and dairy too?) to be healthy? Even though I eat it in moderation within an overall healthy diet?

no you clearly need to quit cats

doh
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Remember when Nancy Reagan was on Diff'rent Strokes and telling Arnold and Willis and all the kids (Kimberly might have been off at boarding school with Mrs. Garrett) to just say no to sugar? That was totally the best.

(Yes, I'm old.)

ILU

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I will say no to saying no to sugar
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

no you clearly need to quit cats

doh

Oh. Right. It's like petting puppies, isn't it?
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    am I right in thinking that pre-diabetes is a medical state that is a result of being overweight and that weight rather than sugar consumption is the major correlation here

from a quick google

"Prediabetes is when blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes. Prediabetes means a person is at increased risk for developing type 2 diabetes, as well as for heart disease and stroke. Many people with prediabetes develop type 2 diabetes within 10 years.
    However, modest weight loss and moderate physical activity can help people with prediabetes delay or prevent type 2 diabetes." from http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/diagnosis/#2

and the NHS

"Type 2 diabetes causes are usually multifactorial - more than one diabetes cause is involved. Often, the most overwhelming factor is a family history of type 2 diabetes.

There are a variety of risk factors for type 2 diabetes, any or all of which increase the chances of developing the condition. These include:

Obesity
    Increasing age
    Bad diet
    Other type 2 diabetes causes such as pregnancy or illness can be type 2 diabetes risk factors."

I usually love your advice rabbitjb, but my mom was far from overweight and diagnosed as prediabetic????? Which she has successfully managed by diet choices.... Although her mom(my grandmother) was full on diabetic. Just questioning?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Hi everyone......today, is a week from me not using sugar!! My Doctor told to stop drinking or eating sweets that contain sugar because I may end up to be a diabetic. So I have given up sugar folks. I feel alive and refreshed. From a week today...I haven't ate or drank any added sugars...only if in fruits or good carbs. My body feels amazing. No more sluggishness, I'm not tired or having the morning headaches. We can do it...lets get healthy. Feel free to share or add me. Thanks!!

What is a good carb??? Sighs.

Sugar is not bad. Sugar is not evil.

Glad you are following your doctor's advice and finding something that is working for you. I am disappointed that he/she didn't just advise you to reduce your calories since the most effective way to reduce your risk of diabetes is to maintain a normal body weight.
    As for the marshmallows. I can't eat them anymore....and sometimes I really miss them.

True, however, many items with added sugar are not very nutritionally dense and have been a big contributor to people's weight issues. Eliminating foods with added sugar (without any other diet changes) will most likely result in weight loss for the majority of people.

Since most people have no clue about nutrition, telling the patient to simply eliminate foods with added sugars is probably the most effective way to communicate.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options

from a quick google

and the NHS

Obesity
    Increasing age
    Bad diet

I usually love your advice rabbitjb, but my mom was far from overweight and diagnosed as prediabetic????? Which she has successfully managed by diet choices.... Although her mom(my grandmother) was full on diabetic. Just questioning?

If you read the post by rabbitjb carefullu, she mentioned that its multifactorial. Being overweight is one of the factors , others include living sedentary life, incresing age bad diet etc. As far as I know genetics also plays a role. Diabetes can run in family.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

from a quick google

and the NHS

Obesity
    Increasing age
    Bad diet

Yeah ... I might be wrong as I said I don't know much about it and a quick scan on google does not an educated person make

It does say that the most overwhelming factor is family history

and I did read that sugar is not causative

I was just interested
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »

What is a good carb??? Sighs.

Sugar is not bad. Sugar is not evil.

Glad you are following your doctor's advice and finding something that is working for you. I am disappointed that he/she didn't just advise you to reduce your calories since the most effective way to reduce your risk of diabetes is to maintain a normal body weight.
    As for the marshmallows. I can't eat them anymore....and sometimes I really miss them.

True, however, many items with added sugar are not very nutritionally dense and have been a big contributor to people's weight issues. Eliminating foods with added sugar (without any other diet changes) will most likely result in weight loss for the majority of people.

Since most people have no clue about nutrition, telling the patient to simply eliminate foods with added sugars is probably the most effective way to communicate.

I am pretty sure that is exactly what happens

and then those people go away with a completely skewed idea of what they need to do and buy into the sugar is the debil mantra

until they come here of course... and meet us lot ... we are like the 'but wait...science' brigade :smiley:
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Awesome that you're following doctor's orders and avoiding diabetes (assuming you're pre-diabetic since your doc would have no reason to recommend this otherwise).

However, for the general healthy (aka not diabetic/pre-diabetic) population, it's not necessary to eliminate sugar for weight loss or even for overall health.

Well since over 100 million people in the US are diabetic or pre-diabetic it seem like something many need to be looking out for.

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/statistics/

I went from being a pre-diabetic, to having normal fasting glucose numbers, and I did it by losing weight. Simple as that. I've never tracked sugar nor have I cut anything out of my diet that I enjoy eating. I'm in fantastic health now, and I eat foods that contain both added and natural occurring sugars. I focus on CICO and eating at the correct calorie amounts for my goals. I eat all the foods I like in moderation. I've not only lost the extra weight and improved my health, but I'm also successfully maintaining now.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I too have cut back on sugar and I'm not looking back. However, as far as I've read, sugar does not cause diabetes.

Sugar is a contributing factor to obesity which is linked to diabetes. You can still maintain a healthy lifestyle with a moderate amount of sugar but I found it easier to just cut back on sugar. If you pre-diabetic its best to follow your doctors orders anyway.

As for sugar being linked to heart disease check out this link from National Center for Biotechnology Information

Of course you can't see the actual details of the study linked about because it cost money but the conclusions are there. I've seen people here ask for "peer-reviewed" studies but that costs money.

Please note, I'm not saying sugar causes heart attacks. I am not a scientist or a doctor. There is enough evidence out there to make there is a link. However, I'm more inclined to believe that obesity is the real issue, not sugar.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Regarding the idea that sugar is linked to heart disease here's another link:

Journal of the American Medical Association

For full disclosure the study appears to focus on "added sugars".

While it is fair to say sugar can be part of a healthy diet, it is false to say that there is no evidence of links to obesity or other conditions. JAMA is saying there is a link, WHO is saying there is a link, AHA is saying there is a link.

Also another link from AJCN

Is having a little sugar sprinkled on your Sunday morning oatmeal going to kill you? Probably not. But having a can of sugar sweetened soda everyday is pushing it.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    that first study excludes any consideration of weight and focuses on added sugar in diet only?

it isn't causative .. it's a correlation

where is the actual evidence?
This discussion has been closed.