Please Share The Top 5 Things To Do To Lose Weight

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If no one is open to trying something new that doesn't require you to eat a diet where you have to restrict your calories then thats fine. Bash it all you want but at the end of the day I'm not the one that ever got myself into the position of being over weight. I'm the one that has always been fit, lean, and healthy. I'm the one that doesn't fill their body with animal carcass and puss from cow milk. I'm the one thriving on cruelty free, plant based all natural food that wakes up in the morning and slips on a size 2.

All hail you.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    What is a plant-based food? I'm confused.

It's clearly a food made in a plant. Probably a Honda plant or a meat-processing plant.
  • nataliecatalie00
    nataliecatalie00 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    @nataliecatalie00 Since you're obviously far superior in your diet knowledge, perhaps you'd enlighten us dull fatties how "no animal products" and "smoothie every morning for breakfast" can make us all skinny.

I didn't say I was superior, that's your perception. I've eaten 2500 to 3000 calories and lost and maintained weight with minimal exercise. A lot of people aren't willing to do that, and at first I was scared to do it as well but if your only eating natural plant based foods, when it comes down to it, you don't have to have a calorie deficit.

I have a couple 250+ lb vegetarian/vegan friends who would heavily disagree with that statement.

Just because they are vegan means there healthy. I'm talking about natural plant based foods...not from a package. If you eat foods such as fruit, veggies, nuts, and such.

So if you eat at a calorie surplus, but it's fruits/veggies/nuts "and such"...you won't gain weight?!

Yup. And its not just a "I have good metabolism" because when I was in my teens I ate the typical weight loss diet of lean meat, yogurt, and some fruits and veggies with a calorie deficit and I was never over weight but I weighed more than I do now.

Omg just came into this thread and it totally delivers.

too funny lol
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I realise this is probably too late to save, but

5 things that may help you maintain a calorie deficit:

1. weigh and log your food
    2. Understand what your BMR/TDEE is
    3. Weight lift to maintain muscle mass (this will mean you won't go into devolving circles of eating less and less to lose weight.)
    4. Follow a plan that is sustainable for you (restrictive diets have an overall negative effect on some people, I'm sure the psychologist amongst us will understand.)
    5. Make sure you're getting adequate nutritients/vitamins/amino acids so you have the energy to live and enjoy your life

It's way too late to save this patient, but solid post.
  • Merci4u
    Merci4u Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was:
    1. Maintain a reasonable cal deficit (300-500cal a day).
    2. Record EVERYTHING and learn how to record accurately
    3. Learn to Cook.
    4. Inform myself about what I was eating - this included research into how we process foods, what is in what we eat etc
    5. Exercise. (Distant last - this is mostly helping me maintain).

At the beginning I only did 1 and 2 but as my focus changes from a weightloss to health points 3, 4 and 5 have become more important for my overall health.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    If no one is open to trying something new that doesn't require you to eat a diet where you have to restrict your calories then thats fine. Bash it all you want but at the end of the day I'm not the one that ever got myself into the position of being over weight. I'm the one that has always been fit, lean, and healthy. I'm the one that doesn't fill their body with animal carcass and puss from cow milk. I'm the one thriving on cruelty free, plant based all natural food that wakes up in the morning and slips on a size 2.

You ignored my post regarding the close friends of mine who tried your method of weight loss and completely failed.

You have a serious "holier than thou" attitude and it comes across as offensive and gross. Hard to imagine you work with people on an emotional level as a profession.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Quoting for incredulousness.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

*sticker for you*
  • nataliecatalie00
    nataliecatalie00 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I think it's time for this gif since we've obviously exited the land of basic science and entered the realm of....
    mgc.gif

You can say that all you want but you never actually know until you try. I thought it sounded absurd at first but instead of declaring it magic I actually tried it and it worked. I found out for myself.

Yeah...no. Science disagrees with you. As do I. The scenario you're describing is literally impossible.
    But what do I know, I'm just a fatty, right?

I didn't say you were a fatty. I'm just pointing out that if you are going to go to someone on advice to lose weight, your probably going to pick the thinner/ fitter person. It's not rude, it's just smart.

No...I'm going to pick the person who is losing/has lost weight.

Why not the person who has always been thin that has never gotten to the point of being over weight in the first place?

Because...they are not experienced in losing weight?

And experienced in gaining weight.
    I've never been overweight so I was always doing something right. And I have lost weight, not from being overweight though.

based on your four point plan in this thread you really do not know anything about nutrition or science for that matter.

You did not even accurately track your own calories.

It's interesting that you've just decided that you know what I know and don't know and what I did and didn't do all the way from your computer screen. I forgot you spent the last few years of my life watching my every move as I count my calories on a daily basis, making sure I'm doing it accurately. Missed that one.

The alternative is to believe you defy physics because... you eat plants.

Are you magic or are the 3000 calories of plants magic? I think you're arguing that the plants are magic, since if we'd just try it, we'd see, magic exists in nature.

Perhaps she's smoking the plants?

Okay, that made me laugh.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

You're "the one." I think I see the problem...
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    @nataliecatalie00 Since you're obviously far superior in your diet knowledge, perhaps you'd enlighten us dull fatties how "no animal products" and "smoothie every morning for breakfast" can make us all skinny.

I didn't say I was superior, that's your perception. I've eaten 2500 to 3000 calories and lost and maintained weight with minimal exercise. A lot of people aren't willing to do that, and at first I was scared to do it as well but if your only eating natural plant based foods, when it comes down to it, you don't have to have a calorie deficit.

I have a couple 250+ lb vegetarian/vegan friends who would heavily disagree with that statement.

Just because they are vegan means there healthy. I'm talking about natural plant based foods...not from a package. If you eat foods such as fruit, veggies, nuts, and such.

So if you eat at a calorie surplus, but it's fruits/veggies/nuts "and such"...you won't gain weight?!

Yup. And its not just a "I have good metabolism" because when I was in my teens I ate the typical weight loss diet of lean meat, yogurt, and some fruits and veggies with a calorie deficit and I was never over weight but I weighed more than I do now.

I'm sorry, but this is just false. You weren't counting calories properly. It's just not how the science works. Perhaps someone can post some good reading for you.

You can't tell me that I was doing something wrong. I know how to count calories. I have a scale and I can do math. And if you look at all the things in the past the "science" has proven and then we find out it was wrong or there is some new better way, you can be open minded to other things. Plus trying something for yourself is always the best way before you judge it. And I know how to research, I have my degree in psychology and have been trained to find and analyze scientific articles.

rfFWukr.gif
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options

DOUBLE BINGO!
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Omg.....this is too funny
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

All well and fine, but you're also silly if you think the credit belongs to you (or your diet) defying physics (i.e. magic) and not to you maintaining an energy balance and being wrong about how many calories you're consuming.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but this is just false. You weren't counting calories properly. It's just not how the science works. Perhaps someone can post some good reading for you.

You can't tell me that I was doing something wrong. I know how to count calories. I have a scale and I can do math. And if you look at all the things in the past the "science" has proven and then we find out it was wrong or there is some new better way, you can be open minded to other things. Plus trying something for yourself is always the best way before you judge it. And I know how to research, I have my degree in psychology and have been trained to find and analyze scientific articles.

rfFWukr.gif

oh my god. I laughed.
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options

Omg just came into this thread and it totally delivers.

keep reading.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Now we're flagging for handing out stickers?! Who doesn't love stickers?!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    1. Be patient
    2. Be consistent
    3. Keep it simple
    4. Eat food
    5. Be patient, be consistent, keep it simple, eat food.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    ChantalGG wrote: »
    Really guys? That is boring. Enjoy your boring calorie deficit life style, but saying that isnt helpful to people starting out.

How about...

1. Cardio, sweat your butt off!
    2. Eat clean fresh fruit and veggies with every meal and snack
    3. skip the high calorie drinks and enjoy a clod glass of water with some lemon or other fruit in it instead
    4. get proper sleep so you have the energy to be more active, so you can burn more calories through out the day
    5. The best exercise is the kind that doesnt feel like exercise. So sports, dancing, hikng etc.

So why did you ask us what works for us, if you are just going to say, Ya whatever you're boring!! When I started this I had no idea what a deficit was. but I did my homework and found out. I wanted a change and knew I had a lot to learn. Simple fact is, if you want to lose weight you need to eat in a deficit. I am a large person my exercises started at 15 min and when I felt stronger I added more time, I still can not do high impact workouts. So watching what I eat is very important. I have lost 39 lbs in 110 days pretty much on just what I eat. I do move everyday, somedays more than others but I really focus on my deficit. If someone really wants to make this lifestyle change they will do their homework and find what works best for them. I do agree with the 5 you posted, but don't belittle the people who are answering your question by saying Eat at a calorie deficit.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Now we're flagging for handing out stickers?! Who doesn't love stickers?!

Maybe stickers are animal-based?
This discussion has been closed.