My First Clean Bulk: looking for opinions/tips

Options

Replies

• Sheblak10
    Sheblak10 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Your Salmon macros are off too btw... that or your serving size.

yea i used a myfitnesspal search for salmon since I forgot to take a picture of the nutrition facts so I'm sure it's a little off
  • Sheblak10
    Options
    rgrz82 wrote: »
    Almost half your calories are coming from shakes. I'd try cutting it down to just a post workout shake. . And a homemade weight gainer before bed as far as shakes go. Other than that looks like you should be well on your way to a decent bulk. All this "clean, dirty bulk" terms regarding food can really mess with your head. Just track everything you eat and enjoy the process, and enjoy the "bad"foods as well.

thanks for the advice! I find it hard to hit +3,000 without a mass gainer, but I guess if I just eat whatever and make sure it fits my macros it will be easier
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Sheblak10 wrote: »
    Drop protein and increase carbs/fat. Unnecessary to have protein that high when you can be reap the benefits of a better fueled workout and recovery from carbs or fats

thanks for the advice, majority are giving me the same advice so I'm going to give it a try and see how my body responds.

Oh hey, the OP came back. We're also sounding like your mother. Eat your vegetables! :wink:
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Almost half your calories are coming from shakes. I'd try cutting it down to just a post workout shake. . And a homemade weight gainer before bed as far as shakes go. Other than that looks like you should be well on your way to a decent bulk. All this "clean, dirty bulk" terms regarding food can really mess with your head. Just track everything you eat and enjoy the process, and enjoy the "bad"foods as well.

thanks for the advice! I find it hard to hit +3,000 without a mass gainer, but I guess if I just eat whatever and make sure it fits my macros it will be easier

I hit 4500 cals without a gainer so you can do it.

• Sheblak10
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    The calories look about right. About 5-6 pounds in 4 weeks is a little more than the recommened .5-1 pound per week. Are your lifts going up? Measurements? Ice cream and cheese curds have been my go to foods.

I discovered deep fried cheese curds last year....hnnnnnng

yea I've been seeing a lot of people eating that here, I might give it a try!
  • BradW99
    BradW99 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You guys are right, I looked and that guy named Albert David took it in Orlando on 2-28-15. Mine is just a state record now. He hit 242.5 squat - 160 bench - and 657.5 total. I admit I'm wrong on this one. Swing and a miss. Sort of.
  • Sheblak10
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Can we see a picture please?

This, plus where is the fruit?
    And dairy?
    And happiness?

i use the yogurt for my dairy intake should I eat more? I actually eat fruit and veggies for snacks just forgot to add them in the excel sheet :neutral:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    BradW99 wrote: »
    You guys are right, I looked and that guy named Albert David took it in Orlando on 2-28-15. Mine is just a state record now. He hit 242.5 squat - 160 bench - and 657.5 total. I admit I'm wrong on this one. Swing and a miss. Sort of.

It happens. I keep waiting for someone to beat mine. There's still satisfaction in holding it for a few months. The AAPF and AWPC are fairly young as far as federations goes. Records will get set and beat rapidly.
  • Sheblak10
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Also, as mentioned, pics are going to be necessary as 175 at 5'9 and 9.4 percent is pretty damn ripped.

Really? not IMO, using the same technique I used for my recent measurement, it read my BF at 5% back when I was playing soccer competitively daily, for my personal body type, at 9% i don't look impressive. The device I used is at my gym, you stand on it and hold the handles, not sure how accurate it is, I'll take down the name today when I go
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Also, as mentioned, pics are going to be necessary as 175 at 5'9 and 9.4 percent is pretty damn ripped.

Really? not IMO, using the same technique I used for my recent measurement, it read my BF at 5% back when I was playing soccer competitively daily, for my personal body type, at 9% i don't look impressive. The device I used is at my gym, you stand on it and hold the handles, not sure how accurate it is, I'll take down the name today when I go

Bioelectrical Impedence. Highly inaccurate.
  • Sheblak10
    Options
    Wow, that's a hell of a lot of bro food, dude. Do you eat anything that tastes good? And what exactly is a "cheat day" when you're bulking. You eat at a deficit on that day or something? I kid, but seriously, there's no cheating while bulking - there's only eating.

maybe 'lean' bulking is the term I'm looking for? I don't know I just enjoy eating healthy foods honestly, don't get me wrong I indulge every now and then buy I'm that guy that hasn't had a sip of soda in almost 5 years and fast food in almost 4...I'm annoying I know...
  • auddii
    Options

Those are not all that accurate because they vary greatly depending on how hydrated you are. You can maximize the accuracy of them by always using it at the same time of day and at the same hydration level. Morning before drinking or eating anything but after using the restroom is likely the best time. And look at overall trends.
  • auddii
    Options
    Wow, that's a hell of a lot of bro food, dude. Do you eat anything that tastes good? And what exactly is a "cheat day" when you're bulking. You eat at a deficit on that day or something? I kid, but seriously, there's no cheating while bulking - there's only eating.

maybe 'lean' bulking is the term I'm looking for? I don't know I just enjoy eating healthy foods honestly, don't get me wrong I indulge every now and then buy I'm that guy that hasn't had a sip of soda in almost 5 years and fast food in almost 4...I'm annoying I know...

Eh, many people eat "clean", but there's no real definition. Eat how you like, but keep in mind that calorie dense food can help you hit your calorie count.

Here's a list of calorie dense food since you say you have a problem hitting goal without mass gainers:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods
  • Sheblak10
    Options
    mrbyte wrote: »

mind giving me of an example of what you eat so I can get an idea?
  • Sheblak10
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Eh, many people eat "clean", but there's no real definition. Eat how you like, but keep in mind that calorie dense food can help you hit your calorie count.

Here's a list of calorie dense food since you say you have a problem hitting goal without mass gainers:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods

awesome! thanks!
  • usmcmp
    Options

Here's an example of what LolBroScience ate on a typical day during his bulk. He doesn't typically eat breakfast and managed to hit 3000+ calories.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/LolBroScience?date=2014-10-25
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/LolBroScience?date=2014-10-26
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Here's an example of what LolBroScience ate on a typical day during his bulk. He doesn't typically eat breakfast and managed to hit 3000+ calories.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/LolBroScience?date=2014-10-25
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/LolBroScience?date=2014-10-26

Strong Diary creep :o
  • BradW99
    BradW99 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Well this tread turned around rather quickly. @LolBroScience I publicly apologize for insulting your physique and intelligence. I realize we are all here for the same reason and that's fitness. And while our views may not align, that doesn't mean degradation is best. Lift on brother, lift on! PS I still want to borrow that arm blaster.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    BradW99 wrote: »
    Well this tread turned around rather quickly. @LolBroScience I publicly apologize for insulting your physique and intelligence. I realize we are all here for the same reason and that's fitness. And while our views may not align, that doesn't mean degradation is best. Lift on brother, lift on! PS I still want to borrow that arm blaster.

Accepted and all good. Although, it's not mine... it was laying on the gym floor and I decided to test it out. I think it is community equipment.
  • Sheblak10
    Options
    sorry the picture is huge...keep in mind that I do eat fruits and veggies just didn't write them down on the excel sheet as well as I do take a multivitamin 3x daily as well as BCAA

tdwcwv4yswst.png