Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    @usmcmp What do you think about cardio and recomps?

cardio? is that Spanish?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I'm hoping the answer is "phooey" because I've only done it once in 8 weeks.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I think that is personal preference, but I also know that my lifts are a bit better when I do SOME sort of cardio once per week (not counting sex, since I know I'll get asked). Cardio helps if you want to eat more too. If you follow a hypertrophy program it's likely that you are improving your VO2 Max without purposeful cardio.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    tbh I go backpacking on the weekends and go for light walks on my rest days

don't hate me pls :flowerforyou:
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    If you do too much cardio (really upping VO2max) even if staying at equal calories, won't it reduce hypertrophy? I see it as the body having a limited budget for remodeling the house - you're not getting a granite counter and a basement remodel at the same time.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

cardio? is that Spanish?

Yup. It means whale's vagina.

Sorry sir, you are incorrect... the answer was San Diego.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    draznyth wrote: »

cardio? is that Spanish?

Yup. It means whale's vagina.

Sorry sir, you are incorrect... the answer was San Diego.

Is that not what he said? :D
  • usmcmp
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    If you do too much cardio (really upping VO2max) even if staying at equal calories, won't it reduce hypertrophy? I see it as the body having a limited budget for remodeling the house - you're not getting a granite counter and a basement remodel at the same time.

Reduced hypertrophy would be due to inadequate protein, inadequate calories or inadequate recovery. If you were running long distances daily and trying to build mass you would struggle due to recovery issues.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I do cardio once a week.. where there is only a little but of ab work. I run 5 miles a day even on lift days first thing in the morning and lift 2 hours later... Does not hurt the lifting, and my nutrition is all in check.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I do cardio once a week.. where there is only a little but of ab work. I run 5 miles a day even on lift days first thing in the morning and lift 2 hours later... Does not hurt the lifting, and my nutrition is all in check.

You do cardio once per week, but you run every day? Running is cardio.

You may have adjusted to your mileage and lifting, but those are based on your priorities. Have you ever lifted before running? Have you ever dropped mileage while lifting? If not, you don't know if the running is impacting your lifting. There is a chance your lifts would improve if you cut mileage or ran after lifting. Glycogen depletion and the CNS demands of running can impact lifting, but if you've always done it this way you wouldn't know.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

I think that is personal preference, but I also know that my lifts are a bit better when I do SOME sort of cardio once per week (not counting sex, since I know I'll get asked). Cardio helps if you want to eat more too. If you follow a hypertrophy program it's likely that you are improving your VO2 Max without purposeful cardio.

@usmcmp Thanks again. I personally like to do cardio a couple times a week for 30 mins. I enjoy it and other extracurricular activities. Oh and basket weaving! :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I do a load of cardio while recomping (latest event was a 128 mile cycle event). The big impact on potential hypertrophy is that you have to prioritise both your training and recovery. During the cycling season I do very little lower body weight training and tend to keep the intensity down when I do. Typical routine is alternate days cycling (or cycling related training) and upper body and core strength work. In winter the training focus changes and the cardio duration reduces so recovery and fatigue isn't such a factor.

There's absolutely no reason someone at maintenance would "burn muscle for fuel" though as some people seem to believe - your nutrition would have to be completely hopeless!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread! Thanks so much!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

You do cardio once per week, but you run every day? Running is cardio.

I was wondering the same.
  • senecarr
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    There's absolutely no reason someone at maintenance would "burn muscle for fuel" though as some people seem to believe - your nutrition would have to be completely hopeless!
    I don't believe anyone said anything about burning muscle for fuel.
    My commentary was specifically if you were doing enough cardio to increase VO2Max. I would guess the adaptations and cellular synthesis that would have to happen for that, like making more red blood cells, would tie up some amount of synthesis that could be used towards building muscle cells, but I don't have much knowledge of what all happens to make cardiovascaular endurance and output increase.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    My commentary was specifically if you were doing enough cardio to increase VO2Max. I would guess the adaptations and cellular synthesis that would have to happen for that, like making more red blood cells, would tie up some amount of synthesis that could be used towards building muscle cells, but I don't have much knowledge of what all happens to make cardiovascaular endurance and output increase.

Even lifting can improve VO2 Max, so improved VO2 Max doesn't mean less gains.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16307157
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My commentary was specifically if you were doing enough cardio to increase VO2Max. I would guess the adaptations and cellular synthesis that would have to happen for that, like making more red blood cells, would tie up some amount of synthesis that could be used towards building muscle cells, but I don't have much knowledge of what all happens to make cardiovascular endurance and output increase.

Not in this thread but it's a depressingly common perception that muscle is a preferred energy source.
    I actually find my cardio (which has a big resistance element) very complimentary to my strength training (and vice versa) in performance terms apart from the previously stated fatigue/recovery issues.

For a period of a 8 weeks last autumn I dropped strength training completely as I had very limited time to train for a big cycle ride and gained measurable increase in quad size. When I returned to the gym after the event I found my reps at my injury imposed leg press limit (knee goes bone on bone over 200kg) had shot up from about 8 to 20.

Interesting article..
    http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building-muscle/get-big/will-cardio-burn-muscle?click=main_sr
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'll ditto that about some gains from endurance cardio.

Muscle isn't even used as energy like that unless going for long endurance, with lack of carbs.

I think the misconception is part of what will happen at the normal big deficits people attempt.
    Muscle is broken down all the time, if not enough calories and protein, some of it ain't being built back up again.

And if you do cardio too hard or long or with bad timing to lifting, obviously makes you tired - even if you do eat enough. But shoot, hard cardio day after day can do the same too I've found.
  • senecarr
    Options

Even lifting can improve VO2 Max, so improved VO2 Max doesn't mean less gains.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16307157
    Thanks. The study is untrained males and going from 26 to 30. I'm thinking more someone trying to get themselves down below 8 or 7 minute miles type increases.