WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,729 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    had a bit of a row with the DH last night.. all was well until I skyped with my DGD, at the end the DGD said to me within ear shot of grandpa, Mommy says you and grandpa need to sell us your house so Ginger has a yard and we have a nice house and I have a nice room..
    Well Tom flipped out after I had turned off the computer, why is Tracy (DD) telling Taliah that.. I said I dont know, and both he and I know that they don't have enough money to one buy the house for what it is worth, and 2, will make enough to sustain it..
    they want to move back out here next year and they both have to find jobs, my Ex I think will sell the house out there and split the money between both of the kids and live in senior housing here in town. they would have enough for a down payment ,but I dont know if they would ever be able to get a mortgage...
    2- I told Tom that they were down to 4 pieces of candy for his dad, and he flipped out again..
    now they have been giving him his pills in like milky way,3 muskateers etc,,, mini's, found a huge bag of mixed 3 weeks ago at Sam's and it is all gone .. now he gets pills 2 times a day so that is 4 pieces of candy.. a day.. they do keep it in the med room, but with 3 shifts of nurses, I don't know if they are dipping into it too.
    I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.. they have no problem getting his meds into him now, but we don't want to have to shell out 15.00 bucks every 3 weeks to do so, I dont want to accuse anyone of taking stuff.
    so he wouldn't even talk to me last night.. I have no control of either situation.. and will deal with it I guess.
    I learned how to swim as a child at a local pond through the YMCA, I can swim to save my life but,I got pushed into the deep end by a snarky teen and have never really enjoyed swimming since.. floating yes, swimming no...
    Well the cabinets are in, they are coming to measure for countertops today, and they will install the other upper cabinets today, and then put in the dishwasher.. will be another 3-4 weeks for countertops I think.. and still trying to figure out the floor
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,578 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 - we met 9/16/96 and married 6/22/2002
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

Heather, I feel for you about the eating. I too am more likely to overeat/drink when I am upset. Whether with someone else or just mad at myself. I know you can get back on track once you get back to your normal routine.

Allison, we keep buying small cokes for my mom and they disappear like crazy. But, my bro says it's a small price to keep the staff happy. My mom feels like she has to share...southern lady manners.

Swimming....the two grands are taking swimming lessons this week through their county recreation center. We are so happy about that as they love to go to the subdivision's pool. I took swimming lessons as a young child but have never been much good at it. We went to the lake a lot when I was growing up and I water skied and loved it.

Joyce, perhaps your DH needs some minerals such as potassium or magnesium for the cramping.

Carol - Peach

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,943 Member
    Options
    JanetMMc

My stew recipe had three requirements----meatless, sort of low in sodium, and fixed with frozen ingredients plus spices I already had. Here is what I did.

0.75 cup (100 grams), Gardein Beefless Tips
    3.00 cup, Organic Vegetable Broth Fat Free
    2.00 Tbsp (8g), 100% Pure Cornstarch
    1.00 container (8 3/10 cups ea.), Stew Vegetables (Kroger)
    2.00 Cup, Green Peas (Kroger)
    0.50 container (2 7/10 cup (81 g) ea.), Cut Green Beans(Birds Eye)
    0.50 container (3 cups ea.), Petite Whole Onions(Birds Eye)
    2.00 Tablespoon, Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    garlic powder
    thyme

I cooked the frozen stew vegetables in 2 cups of vegetable broth until almost done then added the frozen peas, onions, and green beans, sauteed the beefless tips in olive oil with garlic and thyme, thickened one cup of veggie broth with cornstarch and mixed everything together.

<3 Barbie

Nutrition Facts
    Servings 4.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 336
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 9 g 13 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 6 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
    Sodium 628 mg 26 %
    Potassium 0 mg 0 %
    Total Carbohydrate 47 g 16 %
    Dietary Fiber 7 g 30 %
    Sugars 12 g
    Protein 9 g 18 %
    Vitamin A 62 %
    Vitamin C 10 %
    Calcium 3 %
    Iron 9 %
    * The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S.
  • KMHilinski
    KMHilinski Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

I have been doing better about logging my food. I also felt good enough to get my 4 mile walk in yesterday! No more fevers or chest pain! Have a 5K this weekend! It should be a fun one, we get to walk through the football stadium and see ourselves on the jumbotron towards the finish! Then the hubby and I go get a healthy brunch!

Still have not seen any movement on the scale :'( , need to get that dialed in and figured out. Once I have a good week of logging to look back at, maybe I can figure it out!

Off to work...hope everyone has a great day and meets or beats their goals!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    JanetmmccCheri - congratulations on not letting stress over your husband's job drive you back to overeating/binging. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a good interview.
    For one view of the Eastern Shore, check out Cynthia Voigt's HOMECOMING and its sequels from the library. They're more about people than place, but do show some place.

Thanks. I will definitely look up those books being the avid reader I am!

janetr7476Nite ladies, I'm off to bed to make sure I get up in time for water aerobics early in the morning. I hope I can sleep for longer than the 4 hours I've slept the last several nights. It seems to go in a cycle can't sleep for more than 4 hours or so and I'm dragging, finally the cycle breaks and I'm able to sleep again for 6 hours or so. Which is plenty for me.

Sounds just like me. I am thrilled if I get 5-6 hours straight but more often than not it is much less! So frustrating!

Jmkmomm Cheri, scary thing about husbands job. To be held in limbo like that is awful. Hope it is resolved soon.

Thanks. Very stressful situation one that we have been in before. Hopefully the interview next week will go well and then we will be moving again. We've lived in Virginia, Maryland, New York, Connecticut, Florida, Indiana and Ohio. Old hat at this moving stuff.

Cheri
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,130 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Still packing still moving. That's my agenda for the day. Beautiful day today though so the weather is cooperating.

Heather- I just started my own 35 day challenge because I was going off the deep end back to my old eating habits. On the strength training sites everyone said how much more they could eat, they could eat what they wanted... That just gave me permission to over eat and eat unhealthy. Along with not weighing myself I noticed I started getting an extra layer of fat on my stomach. Also on measurement day last week I didn't lose any inches. So I started over again and readjusted my calories to 1200 and 80 - 20 is my goal for healthy eating. I have been on it for two days now. You can do it too. At least you got yourself really early.

Allison- kids say the darndest things don't they. The young ones will repeat what the old ones say to them. I'm surprised that your father-in-law would be able to even take his pills in candy without noticing it.

Carol-peach - i'm like you I really enjoy being in the water. When I was a kid I was at the kiddie pool and then the lake every day. That was back in the day when you could go anywhere without your parents being accused of neglect.

Cheri - I hope all goes well for your DH. I'm in the middle of a move now and it's not a piece a cake for us. We've only been here for five years and I can't believe the stuff that we have accumulated.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • ChelleA65
    ChelleA65 Posts: 23 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

I love reading all of your posts. So... had a big scar in the last few weeks. As a breast and uterine cancer survivor, I went for my yearly checkup and they found a lump. (this would only happen to me). They biopsied it quickly, and I spent four days in misery waiting for the results. Went yesterday and got great news. Scar tissue. That was the good news. The bad news. I have gained 5 pounds since October when my sister passed away from cancer. That is not an excuse, but it has really affected me emotionally. Anyway, I am morbidly obese. I broke down in the doctor office, in total disbelief. My eating is good for the most part. I plan my meals and they are healthy choices. I know my downfall. I cannot eat one bite of anything I should not eat, because they I will just keep eating it. I need to STAY AWAY. I explained to him that without exercise, I do not budge, but the weight makes me hurt...ALL OVER. He gave me a shot of cortisone in each knee and one in my right ankle to eliminate the selling and pain. I feel like I am at the bottom of the ocean and need to swim up to breathe. This is no longer something I can think about, this is something I must do. No excuses anymore.

Diet is like a marriage. You can't cheat and expect it to work.

Machelle from Alabama
  • HoneyRose77
    HoneyRose77 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    terri_mom wrote: »
    Happy Monday ! !

Today is my final "real" day at work, so I must get caught-up on my paperwork, so I don't leave it for the person working my spot this week.

Janetr – Cute pic. Love the sippy cup.

Barbie – I love the ability to speak to the people around me whether I know them or not. You are lucky to have such a trait. Congrats on the positive experience. Update: the picture of that meal is amazing. Yum ! // We watched much of the US open as well. That course is crazy. I expected it to be as green as we are here. Now I know. I hope I can visit the area some day. One of my best friends from a few years ago lives somewhere in that area. DH sure wishes DS would put as much effort into golf as he does basketball, mostly for the travel and scenery.

Renny – thanks for sharing your story. I know we can win this fight, if we keep doing it together.

Miriam – Sorry you had to go through all that because of a negligent neighbor and landlord.

Poop – I hate when nails break so low down that they bleed. It seems to take forever for them to heal. Sympathies, and I hope it heals quickly.

Joyce – I do believe the Hotel room has a mini-fridge, so I plan on taking a case of water and some yogurt and fruit, and filling my belly before leaving as much as possible. If no mini fridge, I don’t mind room-temp water. The problem will be the venue. They search everything, and you can’t carry-in anything, and I mean anything. I’m hoping I can sneak in my powder packets of PropelZero + calcium (I’m sure they don’t sell that product). And I will definitely give every food vendor the third degree, and blame food allergies until I get what I want (and feel your energy while I do it). Hopefully my sister and I can agree to share meals, as that will help, too. She will drink plenty of beer, so I will drink plenty of water. Right now I’m having a hard time being motivated. I tried so hard to behave with all the problems I encountered over the weekend, and didn’t lose anything (yes, I weigh myself every day, I just can’t help myself). But, for NSV – Hubby did say “. . . since you are losing weight . . .” yesterday, so that felt good. I better force myself to focus on that, not on the scale. Happy face !

Sharon – Hugs. I hope things get better quickly.

Heather – what a moving story about your school-friend and her daughter.

Carey – Hugs for your water leak. I hope you find the source quickly, and that you have minimal damage.

TX Lisa – Congrats on the NSV. Enjoy your family.

Hi Tonia – I love to sing, but don’t use hardly any apps on my phone. I really miss karaoke - I used to go 1-3 times a week before we moved. I’ll sing with you in my heart and head.

I say “my friends from My Fitness Pal”.

This morning's storms were pretty bad. Funny little DS thinks there is a magic switch that Grandpa can flip and bring power back to the house, because his phone battery is almost dead (convenient, since that means I can't text him extra chores), and he can't play videogames without electicity. According to the radio news, the second wave that is due around 5:00pm tonight will be much worse. Maybe I'll get my work-out in afterall (no lunch break since vacation starts tomorrow, and not willing to try to drive in hail).

Okay, work is calling (well, the paperwork anyway), so I better get moving to earn my pay.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee

Hi Terri, I can't believe you did it live 1-3x/wk. I've never done it live. But I get to sing with people all over the world which is pretty cool. I welcome people singing along. Maybe I'll post a link so you can listen. Any favorite genres you like? I do take requests.

Looking forward to getting to know the group! Enjoy your day everyone!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Good morning! It's going to be hot here again today, but no rain. :p Things are finally starting to dry out at last. Spot couldn't even find a mud puddle last night on our walk. Poor baby. I watered my tomatoes last night and saw dozens of tiny green tomatoes. Can hardly wait till they turn red.

Last night was supposed to be DGS's tball practice but hubby and I both completely forgot. We felt just awful about it. My son called to see if we were coming, but by then it would have been over with. I'm trying to think of a way to make it up to him. Poor little guy. I'm going to ask if they want to come over for dinner and hubby can play catch with him.

Last night we were treated to a rare spectacle. Molly and Spot were actually playing together. Chasing each other around and around, doing the play bow with their wagging butts up in the air. Bruno was following along, being a cheerleader. And nobody tried to kill anybody. I hope this means they are finally learning to get along with each other. It was fun to watch.

I'm very interested with all your experiences teaching swimming. I never had swimming lessons when I was a kid. My dad taught us what he could, but mostly we just paddled around trying not to drown. Even now, when I swim laps, I dont do it the way it's supposed to be done. I know that, but I do what's comfortable for me. So I can't help them learn proper strokes, and don't get in the pool during swim lessons (none of the parents do) but I do swim with them other times when we go to the pool. I've been watching some swimming videos on YouTube lately though, getting some tips to use to help them. I wish the lessons at the Y were one-on-one, but they aren't. The two girls are in a class with three other kids, and the little guy's class has about 7.

Well, my iPad battery is about dead. I had it on the charger all night but this morning it was still at 5%. Put it on yo charge for two more hours and it got up to 20%, but just writing this post has brought it back down to 9%, so I think something must be wrong with the battery. I'd better go before it goes dead completely. Have a great day everybody!

Sylvia
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All! <3

I am feeling a little slow today. Didn’t want to get out of the bed. Didn’t take Storm for his walk this morning. Stopped and got a bacon biscuit instead of my usual yogurt for breakfast. I do have a salad for lunch and some cherries which I hope will be sweet. The SO and I are going to the gym this evening. I hope to get into the pool if it isn't crowded. It's going to be 101degrees here by 3 p.m.

Sylvia: You certainly had quite a day. I’m praying for your son’s upcoming custody hearing. I am sure that the Judge will have to ask her how she can support the children since she cannot follow court ordered child support directions. SMH! Glad you talked to the swim instructor for whatever good it did. I love little girl sundresses. My DD was never frilly but one of my DGDs is very frilly and I am so glad. As always I love the joke of the day!

Terri: Sometimes it’s good to be able to go to work and leave the madness behind. :)

Cheri: I don’t live there but have visited Salisbury MD several times. However, I do have a dear friend that lives in Easton MD. He is an avid sailor and loves living on the Eastern Shore. It is beautiful.

Becca: It’s just sad to see parents that won’t just pay attention to their children versus the cell phone or laptop!

Lesley: My SO only cut down trees for a living during the past 20 years. He 1s also able to maintain his muscle mass and weight in spite of being 66 years old. Yesterday he decided to do some climbing and told me that he climbed three trees which he figures equals to 3 hours of me doing calisthenics. I’ve given a thought to giving it a try once or twice but he says I would need to strap the power saw on my back in order to be effective. :p

Allison: When the SO is full of emotions, regarding matters beyond his control (usually something the children are doing) he sometimes will direct an outburst at me. I think it is because I am available and he is secure that I love him and won’t give him a karate chop in the neck. Anyway at those times I calmly advise him that I don’t have to talk to him and remove myself from the room. Frankly, when that happens I don’t want him talking to me and I really don’t give a @#$ whether or not he wants to talk to me. The end result is a heartfelt apology without any prompting from me. Just saying….. >:)

Have a great day!

Tere in Richmond VA
  • HoneyRose77
    Options
    NLennon1 wrote: »
    Hi folks, my name is Nora, I'm 52 years young and also need to loose 70lbs.... I blame the slow weight loss on menopause!!! I can do that can't I... :), try protein shakes w/PB2.... that seems to fill me up at least till 11am or so. Any suggestions on quick lunch ideas for work, I hate leaving the office just for fast food.... Plus it's too dang hot in Texas to just go anywhere in the middle of the day. Stay strong and carry on....

Hi NLennon, have you checked out Pinterest? They have a lot of lunch suggestions, as does MyFitnessPal. I know what you mean by not wanting to always go to fast food for lunch. Definitely blame menopause - considering what we go through, why not?!? :) Also, sometimes changing up your exercise routine helps "wake up" the body.

Tonia/Rhode Island
  • HoneyRose77
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Ok, got the official stats from the run-
    There were 115 females
    I was 5th overall females

There were 63 makes
    He was 14th overall males

Total runners 178
    He was 18th overall his time 7.53minute mile
    I was 20th overall and my time was 8.16minute mile

So the time on the chip time was a bit faster than the strava app

WOW, you and Kirby are impressive. BTW, I love the name Kirby :) You guys are the bomb and such an inspiration to the rest of us. So proud of you both.

Thanks I do think that time was my personal best. Kirby is a cool name isn't it :0)

Pip, just wanted to share that you have a lovely smile! Tonia/Rhode Island
  • HoneyRose77
    Options
    JanetMMcC wrote: »
    Tonia - rather than cooking for one, cook for several meals. :) Make a standard size recipe, then freeze or refrigerate most of it in single-serve containers. Bingo! Supper for tomorrow or a couple days later, AND something to take to work.

Thanks Janet for your suggestion with meal planning. I'll have to try that. Tonia/Rhode Island
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    ChelleA65 wrote: »
    Good morning ladies.

I love reading all of your posts. So... had a big scar in the last few weeks. As a breast and uterine cancer survivor, I went for my yearly checkup and they found a lump. (this would only happen to me). They biopsied it quickly, and I spent four days in misery waiting for the results. Went yesterday and got great news. Scar tissue. That was the good news. The bad news. I have gained 5 pounds since October when my sister passed away from cancer. That is not an excuse, but it has really affected me emotionally. Anyway, I am morbidly obese. I broke down in the doctor office, in total disbelief. My eating is good for the most part. I plan my meals and they are healthy choices. I know my downfall. I cannot eat one bite of anything I should not eat, because they I will just keep eating it. I need to STAY AWAY. I explained to him that without exercise, I do not budge, but the weight makes me hurt...ALL OVER. He gave me a shot of cortisone in each knee and one in my right ankle to eliminate the selling and pain. I feel like I am at the bottom of the ocean and need to swim up to breathe. This is no longer something I can think about, this is something I must do. No excuses anymore.

Diet is like a marriage. You can't cheat and expect it to work.

Machelle from Alabama

Michelle, we feel your pain. I've never gone thru the health problems you faced, cudos on pushing thru it all. But I certainly identify with not being able to eat without stopping on things I'm addicted to. Mainly sweets. We're here to listen, encourage when you need it. Hang in there. You can do this.
  • naiomi2015
    naiomi2015 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I've been awol for most of May and June. I appreciated the message re:how I was doing. It helped a lot.

Trying to get on track again I'm great full I did not pack on pounds while away. 3lbs while being very overwhelmed with work.
    My new boss was voted in last Saturday and Starts August. 24th (same day I begin my first day of a weeks vacation).

I've begun exercising again yesterday and loging my food too. Hope to keep moving in the right direction.

Naiomi2015 in 79F Massachusetts
  • ChelleA65
    ChelleA65 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Janetr7476- Thank you for the kind and encouraging words. I will hang in there and I will do this.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rori: I don’t know how you manage all your travel so well. Sending restful thoughts your way. :yawn: :flowerforyou:

JanetR: Congratulations on a very significant milestone! WTG! :flowerforyou: Interesting poem. Lucky for me, I haven’t arrived at part 2. :bigsmile: My mom never did so perhaps I’ll be lucky. :embarassed: :wink:

Pip: I admire your grit and athletic ability. You are a star! :flowerforyou:

Michele: I’ve been happy at the Olive Garden when I’ve gone to the website and made my choices before I arrive. Their soup is yummy for all of us who are addicted to excess salt but I seldom order it any more. I ordered salmon in CO once and that won’t happen again. It was farm-raised east coast salmon. I’ve seen all sorts of safety warnings about that stuff. :noway:

Heather: Sending hugs. Take care of yourself. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: Your soup recipe looks wonderful. Yum! :bigsmile:

Sylvia: I somehow missed the important information that your son is going to have a custody hearing. I will keep him and the children in my prayers. :heart:

DS is on his way here to take his sailboat back to the boatyard to fix the shoddy work they did before. His dad isn’t feeling well enough to do the job with my help. DS wanted me to do it, but I turned him down. I am not that strong and resilient. I will help him, however. :ohwell:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 - we met 9/16/96 and married 6/22/2002

Wow you guys have been together for a long time and still are love birds. I love that. Jack and I met in 2007 and got married in 2009. I wouldn't have believed I'd ever get married again, but here I am. :)