Couch to 5k...start today?

Options

Replies

• dontstopnow
    dontstopnow Posts: 152
    Options
    Day 2 completed yesterday. I am a little sore today, but I feel great! I really think by the end of this I might just enjoy running! Wouldn't that be something?

Just out of curiosity, what speeds is everyone who is using a treadmill running/walking at? I know everyone will be different and we should go at the speed we feel comfortable at, but I would kind of like to see where I fall with the average. I am currently walking around 3.2-3.4 and jogging at 4.5-4.7. What about you?

that's close to what i was doing yesterday for day 2. walked at 3.5-3.7 and jogged at the same range as you, going a little bit higher each time i got closer to the last run. then on my last one i bumped it up to 5.0!
  • cobylea
    cobylea Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Day 2 completed yesterday. I am a little sore today, but I feel great! I really think by the end of this I might just enjoy running! Wouldn't that be something?

Just out of curiosity, what speeds is everyone who is using a treadmill running/walking at? I know everyone will be different and we should go at the speed we feel comfortable at, but I would kind of like to see where I fall with the average. I am currently walking around 3.2-3.4 and jogging at 4.5-4.7. What about you?

I'm walking at 3.3 and also jogging at 3.3. I want to build up my jogging endurance before I increase the speed lol.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'm averaging 3mph, with a top speed of 7.1mph. I can't figure out how to jog slower yet. It seems to take more work. Plus when I'm jogging and there are people around I'm in a hurry to turn the next corner so they can't see me anymore. I'm not paranoid, I just hate people seeing my jiggle and gasp for air. Being spotted is the hardest part for me to overcome. I walk really slow on my cooldown and do it for longer than the 5 minutes. I want my heart rate to drop before I get home and stop moving.

I live in Portland Oregon, which is actually less rainy than the coastal towns I grew up in. Rain is just a fact of life for me. I haven't even owned an umbrella in 15 years. I like doing this in the rain. I know it sounds silly but it makes me feel more hardcore, which I like. When I get home I'm going to take a shower and wash everything anyways.
  • kristanickerson
    kristanickerson Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I'm in about the same range as you i'm trying to do the running at about a 12 min mile pace since the treadmill i started on would tell me that but when I'm outside I'm pretty sure it's a lot slower...running outside is harder lol
    481471 Posts: 95
    Options
    Whoo, W1D2 finished today. Taking the dog with me, shes only a puppy, 4 months, she puts me to shame, sprinting ahead and then having to wait for me! Jeez I wish I had her energy!! :-S
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Just wondering...my C25K days so far are Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I want to do cardio on Tuesdays and Thursdays but I know that I'm supposed to give my legs a break between C25K workouts. Would going on an elliptical on Tuesdays and Thursdays do me more harm then good???

You should lift weights on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Too much cardio is bad for you, you're going to lose weight in the form of muscle instead of fat. Protect the muscle by using it so you lose the fat instead.

Should you do a small full body work out then? Me and my husband go to the gym 4 days a week and he works out muscle groups each day so if I lift with him I'll be working on the same muscle group each time but he thinks that working out the full body would be a bad idea because they would all be trying to repair at once and would have a harder time doing that but I only do strength training 1 of the days a week now.

You could do Upper Tuesdays and Lower Thursdays if that's more comfortable for you...

I mix it up. I'll do abs , back, and shoulders one day... glutes, quads, hammies and calves another... abs, chest and arms another...as long as you hit each area hard at least once each week you'd be fine...

if you're doing only one day a week, then I would say full body for about 45 minutes to an hour, depending on how quick you go from one set to another, to get the full body in.
  • robin52077
    Options
    Everyone is doing such a great job on his/her journey; keep it up because we're all proud of you!

I've sent an e-mail to each person that e-mailed me his/her information (username and pre-c25k weight). I've added 21 usernames to the spreadsheet and I've sent the e-mail to 21 people (so hopefully everything is correct and I haven't missed anyone). If by chance I did, please e-mail me your iformation once again (and I apologize for my mistake). Also, if you'd like to join us today, please also send me your information.

E-mail: c25kteam@gmail.com

22 people total (including me)- that is so,so, so wonderful! : )

I just sent you an email, I decided to weigh in anyways, even though I'm on maintenance. What the heck, it will keep me from gaining I guess..lol
  • robin52077
    Options

I'm in about the same range as you i'm trying to do the running at about a 12 min mile pace since the treadmill i started on would tell me that but when I'm outside I'm pretty sure it's a lot slower...running outside is harder lol

yes running outside most definitely is harder.

On the treadmill I am 3.0-3.8 walking, and 4.5-5.0 jogging.

When I do HIIT my "fast" run/sprint is 6.5 because I'm so short. Little legs can only do so much...lol
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Finished W1D2 today! Did 3.2 walking and 4.2 jogging :D
  • robin52077
    Options

great job!
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options

AWESOME!!! :)
  • QUETA2212
    QUETA2212 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just finished my 2nd day in week 1, I feel really motivated and it is great I think I will be ready for next week!
  • Ping_A1C2U
    Ping_A1C2U Posts: 91
    Options
    W1D2 in the books, but holy cow I am scared of week 2...i can do the w1 jog time, but seeing next week's goal is scary...
  • robin52077
    Options
    W1D2 in the books, but holy cow I am scared of week 2...i can do the w1 jog time, but seeing next week's goal is scary...

go at your own pace. If you try it and can't make it all the way through, then STAY on week 2 till you CAN complete it the suggested amount of times.
    When I first did C25K I did week 1 four times instead of 3, then I did week 2 for 2 weeks straight before trying week 3. I didn't move on till the one I was doing became easy.
    Don't worry about a schedule and finishing the program the same day as everyone else. You're not everyone else, you're you. Just do what's right for you.
  • NZhogiebear
    NZhogiebear Posts: 84
    Options
    Everyone is doing so well, i just finished W1 D3 today so Monday is week 2, scary but exciting, hope everyone has a great weekend, and keep up the awesome work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • NZhogiebear
    NZhogiebear Posts: 84
    Options

go at your own pace. If you try it and can't make it all the way through, then STAY on week 2 till you CAN complete it the suggested amount of times.
    When I first did C25K I did week 1 four times instead of 3, then I did week 2 for 2 weeks straight before trying week 3. I didn't move on till the one I was doing became easy.
    Don't worry about a schedule and finishing the program the same day as everyone else. You're not everyone else, you're you. Just do what's right for you.

Great advice, this is my second week on W1 (i became sick and was so not ready to move on) now i am feeling great and ready to make it a little bit harder, we will do it, but at our own pace :D:D
  • busymomyof3
    busymomyof3 Posts: 31
    Options
    i already know that i will be doing week 1 more than once... i can hardly do the run time :( but i keep telling myself that is C25K not overweight couch potatoes to 5K!
  • robin52077
    Options
    exactly, the goal is for everyone here to be able to jog 3 miles without stopping to walk.
    For some that may take 6 weeks, for some it may take the full 9 of the program, for some (like the first time I did it) it will take much more (13 weeks for me).

But we will all be here cheering on those who haven't finished yet even if we have. I think we'll all have this goal accomplished by the end of the summer at least.

You 'kin DO it!:happy:
  • smitchell37
    smitchell37 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I did w1d2 yesterday and I feel awesome. I keep for getting to track how many miles I went though

Make sure you are stratching after you run. I think it helped me a lot last night. I didn't stretch my first time and I felt aweful.

Should I do d3 tonight or wait till tomorrow? Im kinda nervous about w2.
  • forgiven4life
    forgiven4life Posts: 451
    Options
    I did w1d2 yesterday and I feel awesome. I keep for getting to track how many miles I went though

Make sure you are stratching after you run. I think it helped me a lot last night. I didn't stretch my first time and I felt aweful.

Should I do d3 tonight or wait till tomorrow? Im kinda nervous about w2.

If you have had a day of rest in between your runs, I would go ahead and run tonight. Sometimes things get in the way on the weekends (at least for me) and you may or may not get your run in on Saturday. But whatever works out best for you. I plan to do my run tonight since I ran on Wed.