Okay...McDonald's...Yes, No, Sometimes?

Confession....I had McDonald's tonight (1 double cheeseburger and a 4 pc. Nugget w Water)...really pretty mad at myself for it. I was just wondering how other people approach fast food.

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    If it fits into my calories for the day, I eat it without guilt.
  • outboundhat
    outboundhat Posts: 21 Member
    ^ same
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    I don't. But I'm not really into fast food. I prefer to eat at restaurants every once in a while or cook something new at home if I want something really good.

I can't even tell you the last time I ate at a McDonalds. I think the last time I had fast food was on Memorial Day weekend. We stopped at Chik Fil A and I had a salad with no dressing. That was about it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    I eat fast food all the time in the fall and winter (less so right now, but I've had it this week). If you can work it into your goals, there's nothing wrong with having it in moderation.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Did it put you over your calorie target? If not, the worst you might see is some water retention from extra sodium/carbs. If you did, it's just one day, do better tomorrow.

Next time, plan a little bit, have some exercise to earn up some extra calories, or bank calories for a few days. It's ok to have fast food, just doing it frequently makes it harder to keep to your deficit.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    If it fits your goals it is fine. I've never been a big fast food person but once in a while I want a quarter pounder so if I have the calories, I get one.
  • angella_jacobs93
    angella_jacobs93 Posts: 54 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Did it put you over your calorie target? If not, the worst you might see is some water retention from extra sodium/carbs. If you did, it's just one day, do better tomorrow.

Next time, plan a little bit, have some exercise to earn up some extra calories, or bank calories for a few days. It's ok to have fast food, just doing it frequently makes it harder to keep to your deficit.

It did not put me over for my calorie target. I have also been trying to walk every day so I think today was overall a success and I should not feel so down about having some fast food...I think there are certainly better food choices and with better planing hopefully I can reduce my "need" to eat out.
  • bpetrosky

It did not put me over for my calorie target. I have also been trying to walk every day so I think today was overall a success and I should not feel so down about having some fast food...I think there are certainly better food choices and with better planing hopefully I can reduce my "need" to eat out.

There ya go. BTW, McD has a southwest grilled chicken salad that's pretty good, and low calories. Not bad if you're out and can't get home for a while.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    I have it all the time. Gotta start firing up that oven thing more often.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Everything is ok in moderation :) I go to McD every quarter year or so. If I can, I pre-plan, but let's face it, usually fast food is not something you plan to eat; it's more like "I WANT A BURGER RIGHT NOW!" If I decide I really, REALLY want it, I'll get it and just adjust the remaining meals for the day.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Eating any fast food, not just Mc Donalds, makes it difficult to stay under your calorie goals. But it doesn't mean it's impossible. If I know I'm gonna have a 1000 calorie meal then I try to have it as a late lunch and then just skip dinner.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    I avoid it, but wouldn't feel guilty about eating it.

Don't mix up your feelings with your food. You can't uneat it. It serves no purpose to beat yourself up. People commit murder and feel less shame than so many of us do for drinking a milkshake.

Keep it in perspective. Eat it, enjoy it, log it and move on.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    I stopped eating at McDonald's when the salad I bought on a Friday night to eat for lunch at an all day seminar the next day was like spinach soup when I took it out of the refrigerator the next morning. Seems that it LOOKS fresh, but it isn't, and disintegrates within about 10-12 hours (McDonald's version is that it has a shelf life of 10-12 hours). I can't even stomach eating there anymore.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited June 2015
    I have my version of McD's (which is sometimes McD's) probably once every month when I'm really trying to tighten up the diet, and maybe once every week and a half when I'm ok with maintaining or losing very slowly. (I am 5-10 lbs from goal weight, though, so it's already slow.)

That's because I always go over when I do. I know a lot of people plan around it by eating less earlier in the day, or on other days, but I just feel like crap under a certain number of calories (and actually, probably when I don't meet my macros and nutritional needs). I'd burn it off, but that's on hold for now.

But I mean, it's not the end of the world. If you can plan around it or work it off, great. If you can't, big deal. So you lose a little more slowly. Better to do that than twist yourself in knots.
  • tomatoey

There ya go. BTW, McD has a southwest grilled chicken salad that's pretty good, and low calories. Not bad if you're out and can't get home for a while.

Nobody really wants that at McDs, though. I get a quarter pounder w cheese sandwich (sometimes a meal).
  • tomatoey
    edited June 2015

Oh, well why are you sweating it? 80% nutritious is good enough. It's great, compared to how most people eat.

I agree that planning is the key to reducing vulnerability to less-nutritious foods. That's usually when I go for that quarter pounder, it's when I forgot to have breakfast, or was thrown off my routine by something or other.

If you're unsettled by the feeling of "needing" to eat certain foods, I think that's fair enough. But honestly don't punish yourself for a burger. No big deal.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    The southwest grilled chicken salad is exactly what literally melted in my refrigerator overnight.
  • yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    I avoid it because of the sodium content, and because I have a vague feeling that the food quality isn’t very good. But I ate a ton of fast food on Sunday. It’s not the end of the world if you have it sometimes, but I wouldn’t want to eat it every day. Just log it to see how it affects your nutrition goals.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited June 2015
    tomatoey wrote: »

Nobody really wants that at McDs, though. I get a quarter pounder w cheese sandwich (sometimes a meal).

This is silly. If people didn't want it and order it, they wouldn't keep it on the menu. I get a salad pretty much every time I eat at McDonalds.
  • bpetrosky
    tomatoey wrote: »

LOL, if I've got the calories, I'd go for the QPwC, too. But, in a pinch, the salad isn't bad, and decent macros. I've never tried holding it to the next day, so I can't comment on that.