Ok. I give up. I open my diary to your judgement.

Options

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    i didnt want to participate in this thread, because it was thread number 9999999999 were it is/was obvious that Op had to start weighing its food.
    And that OP didn't want to, was disappointed/angry/frustrated. And it would be a yes/no game again.

But seeing this that the OP comes back, willing to try the advice well.....RESPECT!!!!!
    I am sure you are going to succeed OP. We all wish you luck for sure.
    It feels good to the people and posters here to see that some people have the guts to make the changes in their life to make it all happen. And are willing to learn.
    It gives the members the spirit to go on and support the people with their questions.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    half_moon wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I feel mislead by the title of this thread... somehow I get the sense OP is not actually open to our judgement after all....

No, I am sorry for the way I reacted. There have been a lot of frustrated tears lately and I am sorry I took it out on all of you.

latest?cb=20140723014314

Yay, OP! Days like this on MFP make me happy.

I hope that you are able to continue losing weight. I know it can be frustrating at times, and yes, we've all been there before. It takes a lot of commitment and a lot of patience. You will get there!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    ....Any scales you guys can recommend?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NX47YP4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A3FUY11FKEN472

had over 4,000 reviews and highly rated.

This is the one I have.
    I feel mislead by the title of this thread... somehow I get the sense OP is not actually open to our judgement after all....

No, I am sorry for the way I reacted. There have been a lot of frustrated tears lately and I am sorry I took it out on all of you.

Very big of you. I wish you all the luck.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    And OP - good for you! <3

+1

+2

OP - I know that wasn't easy. I commend you. Here, have a peep.

12427123-large.jpg

How much does the peep weigh?? HOW MUCH? :'(

You came back, accepted advice, apologized AND made me laugh. Best OP ever. <3 best of luck
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Woah.

That's a bit of awesome sauce.

:drinker:
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    OP you're awesome.

I also feel you. About 10 years ago I lost about 60 pounds by just "eating less." I didn't count calories and it came off over about 9 months.

Fast forward to now and I'm struggling to lose even 2 stinking pounds a month. So yeah. I get the frustration. But I was also 10 years younger then.

Invest in a food scale. Trust me when I say it makes a world of difference and not hard at all to use.

You got this!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    And OP - good for you! <3

+1

+ another!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    HalfMoon I used to be firmly in the camp of "ppffftt I'm never going to be one of those people who weigh everything they eat"

But here I am doing just that, and I've become a well oiled machine lol It takes but minutes a day, and takes out the huge errors and unknowns of guestimating.
    I've learnt to ignore the disapproving looks and head shaking of my husband and family when I'm weighing stuff, because it's helped me lose all of my weight.
    It's worked for me and most everyone here, and will for you too :+1:
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 kids, so I've lost this weight now 3 times (though for mostly medical reasons, I was up the highest with the last one.)

I think every time you lose the same weight, it's a little more frustrating. It's because you haven't really progressed, you know? At least in your (my) head. "Oh, here we go AGAIN."

It's so, so, SO much less frustrating to keep it off. I promise.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    While I don't really see anything wrong with what you're eating - I do not see a lot of weighed food. Or rather, your weighing is really inconsistent.

You do eat out a lot, but I do, too and I've lost a lot of weight, so I don't think that will hold you back.

Do you scan barcodes, or do you use generic entries?

When is the last time you had a physical?

I had surgery in February, and have been to the doctor several times since then for check ups. I scan barcodes when available, and I ALWAYS over estimate what I am eating. If I don't finish my meal, I don't change my log. I do my best to make up for variances.

I just give up. It shouldn't be this hard. If I have to weigh every bite I put in my mouth and resign myself to never eating out of the house, it isn't worth it. I could have laid around on my *kitten* all summer and still be here. *kitten* ridiculous.

Did they test thyroid function and/or insulin levels?

Weighing your food helps a lot though. I weigh everything at home, and guesstimate high when I'm out. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's a huge eye opener. My scale gets a lot of credit for the 83 pounds I've lost.

Here's a really good example how easy it is to over-eat without realizing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU&amp;list=FLxRg_80KHM-BdcHvV7nkgfg&amp;index=1

This is a good video and quite eye-opening. I do want to point out that calorically dense foods were chosen for this demonstration. Peanut Butter, dressing, syrup, butter, cream, granola, and pie are very easy to be way off on the calories without weighing since the calorie density of the food is very high. For this reason, if I'm not weighing, I try to choose less calorie dense foods. This way there will be less of a caloric error difference.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    @half_moon, you are awesome for coming back to this thread and apologizing. You are a rarity around these parts. I'm sorry for your health struggles, and just know that you got this *kitten*. All of it.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    onyxgirl17 wrote: »
    While I don't really see anything wrong with what you're eating - I do not see a lot of weighed food. Or rather, your weighing is really inconsistent.

You do eat out a lot, but I do, too and I've lost a lot of weight, so I don't think that will hold you back.

Do you scan barcodes, or do you use generic entries?

When is the last time you had a physical?

I had surgery in February, and have been to the doctor several times since then for check ups. I scan barcodes when available, and I ALWAYS over estimate what I am eating. If I don't finish my meal, I don't change my log. I do my best to make up for variances.

I just give up. It shouldn't be this hard. If I have to weigh every bite I put in my mouth and resign myself to never eating out of the house, it isn't worth it. I could have laid around on my *kitten* all summer and still be here. *kitten* ridiculous.

Did they test thyroid function and/or insulin levels?

Weighing your food helps a lot though. I weigh everything at home, and guesstimate high when I'm out. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's a huge eye opener. My scale gets a lot of credit for the 83 pounds I've lost.

Here's a really good example how easy it is to over-eat without realizing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU&amp;list=FLxRg_80KHM-BdcHvV7nkgfg&amp;index=1

This is a good video and quite eye-opening. I do want to point out that calorically dense foods were chosen for this demonstration. Peanut Butter, dressing, syrup, butter, cream, granola, and pie are very easy to be way off on the calories without weighing since the calorie density of the food is very high. For this reason, if I'm not weighing, I try to choose less calorie dense foods. This way there will be less of a caloric error difference.
    I hadn't noticed that. Now I am less frightened and intimidated by that video lol. It depressed me and made me feel like i always wasn't logging accurately enough.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @half_moon, you are awesome for coming back to this thread and apologizing. You are a rarity around these parts. I'm sorry for your health struggles, and just know that you got this *kitten*. All of it.

:+1::flowerforyou:

• DylanThomas2
    DylanThomas2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good luck half moon. I hope it starts working for you it breaks my heart seeing people struggle knowing the weight of that burden and the frustration of feeling helpless against overwhelming change it takes a strong person to make real life changes but if they weren't hard they wouldn't be worth doing. Stick with it and stay strong it all gets easier over time.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options

I agree. You can do this!

• tesemarie
    tesemarie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I didn't get to look at your food log,band I'm not sure if someone mentioned this, but when I'm eating out i do have to mention not to use butter or oil etc in my food prep. A lot of times they will sneak all kinds of things in there that add up in Calories that you may not realize they are using.

If all else fails after you look at hydration, food prep in restaurants, perhaps watch your portion logging accuracy etc... Perhaps discuss possible medical conditions that may be contributing to the slower progress this time. Best wishes!
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. I have had a crappy few days and man...I've been taking it out on my dh...

The scale seems like a big pain in the *kitten*, yes. It feels you will be run by calorie counting, weighing everything etc. At first, it will seem crazy. It might seem overwhelming. But it's a necessity, a tool until you absolutely are knowing what you are eating/calories. I have been slacking on restricting my portion sizes and a good 3-400 calories extra each day without even much change in what I was eating...if I was estimating that I would never think it was so many calories added on...but it is.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP ask for help.
    OP doesn't like the advice.
    OP stomps off.
    OP comes back and apologizes.

Youre_awesome_gif.gif

You can do this OP!!! Good luck. :)
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    OP ask for help.
    OP doesn't like the advice.
    OP stomps off.
    OP comes back and apologizes.

Youre_awesome_gif.gif

You can do this OP!!! Good luck. :)

I'm just going to pretend that Jenson actually said that to me. Because that makes me happy.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and sorry I was such an ***hole. I've looked a bit more into the scales and am seriously considering it. I think baby steps may work best for me, so I will focus on making healthier choices with lower carbs and sodium. Then after a few weeks I will cave and start to weigh and measure. I've got nothing to lose, since whatever I am doing now -- though worked very well in the past -- is just not cutting it.