Things people do at the gym, that you hate.

Options

Replies

• Tialuna18
    Tialuna18 Posts: 9,591 Member
    Options
    Tialuna18 wrote: »
    People are taking what I'm saying far to heart.. : /

Nah, just pointing out that you can't make a generalization based off something not being in line with your specific goals.
    If you can understand what I mean like when young guys typically who don't seem to have the body structure to be taking on such a high level of weight who are clearly struggling manage to do maybe 8 reps and they allow their weights to just smash on the ground?

because you shouldn't workout unless you're going to do 10-12 reps, right?
    Can you stop trying to be so passive aggressive.. You're not getting anywhere with the conversation. Most people will tell you its better to do more sets than it is reps. The fact that they're working out is great just whats the point in possibly injuring yourself instead of maintaining a steady increment and working up to a higher weight.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Nah, just pointing out that you can't make a generalization based off something not being in line with your specific goals.
    If you can understand what I mean like when young guys typically who don't seem to have the body structure to be taking on such a high level of weight who are clearly struggling manage to do maybe 8 reps and they allow their weights to just smash on the ground?

It really all depends on the type of lift and equipment being used to be honest. Dropping olympic lifts with bumper plates is normal, doing the same with non bumper plates is a different story etc.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Women who walk/stand around the locker room naked. I'm not talking about people just changing clothes or going to the shower. I'm talking about standing in front of the mirror where I wash my hands after using the bathroom, doing a 20 minute makeup job while completely naked. Does she seriously not bring an outfit to put on with all that makeup?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Can you stop trying to be so passive aggressive.. You're not getting anywhere with the conversation. Most people will tell you its better to do more sets than it is reps. The fact that they're working out is great just whats the point in possibly injuring yourself instead of maintaining a steady increment and working up to a higher weight.

They will? That is again another generalization...

Anyhow, you seem to be trying to refer to people that lift with their ego. However, you were coming off as all heavy lifting is bad because of the risk of injury.
  • Daemel
    Daemel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've got 2 main pet peeves about the gym. First, people obviously using the machines wrong. Just the other day there was a girl doing jumps on the seated leg press machine (the one where the weight is at your feet) the foot plate (the part you're supposed to be moving) never budged and she just slid up and down with the chair.

The second being people who come in drenched in whatever cologne or perfume (I'm talking bout you patchouli guys).

I guess there's a third too, people making weird noises while they're doing reps. I don't need to see or hear your o-face at the gym.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Another annoying thing is people who don't follow the rules on the track. At mine, there are two lanes and outer lane is the passing/running lane and people should be single file only and over the age of 13. This is clearly posted. Yet people bring preschoolers to run all over the track the wrong direction, lay down in the middle of the running lane, etc.

Or walk slowly side by side with someone (where they span the whole track with no way for faster people to pass without squeezing between them and the wall. )

The other day there was a couple having an intimate conversation and kissing session in the middle of the running lane.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

It really is a matter of pronunciation. To mae toes, to ma toes.

Endurance lifting gives a toned, sleek look, whereas power lifting gives a more muscular appearance and greater, faster gains in strength.

The technique required for the powerlifters requires lifting at near capacity for only a few reps. There is one concept of lifting to failure, where they literally CAN'T finish the rep. Bodybuilders do that a lot also.

They are doing their workout correctly and so are you!
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    Women who walk/stand around the locker room naked. I'm not talking about people just changing clothes or going to the shower. I'm talking about standing in front of the mirror where I wash my hands after using the bathroom, doing a 20 minute makeup job while completely naked. Does she seriously not bring an outfit to put on with all that makeup?

Lol
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    Daemel wrote: »
    I've got 2 main pet peeves about the gym. First, people obviously using the machines wrong. Just the other day there was a girl doing jumps on the seated leg press machine (the one where the weight is at your feet) the foot plate (the part you're supposed to be moving) never budged and she just slid up and down with the chair.

The second being people who come in drenched in whatever cologne or perfume (I'm talking bout you patchouli guys).

I guess there's a third too, people making weird noises while they're doing reps. I don't need to see or hear your o-face at the gym.

Have you ever lifted really heavy? You'd be making noises too!

• Tialuna18
    Options

It really is a matter of pronunciation. To mae toes, to ma toes.

Endurance lifting gives a toned, sleek look, whereas power lifting gives a more muscular appearance and greater, faster gains in strength.

The technique required for the powerlifters requires lifting at near capacity for only a few reps. There is one concept of lifting to failure, where they literally CAN'T finish the rep. Bodybuilders do that a lot also.

They are doing their workout correctly and so are you!

Understandable.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

This is for my protection, not yours. There is plenty that I COULD say about your lack of knowledge regarding lifting more weight than what you would find in a geriatric rehab facility.

I don't like being flagged though.
  • Tialuna18
    Options

This is for my protection, not yours. There is plenty that I COULD say about your lack of knowledge regarding lifting more weight than what you would find in a geriatric rehab facility.

Or..maybe you can have a discussion maybe clarifying your reasoning in a calm, respectable manner without trying to prove to someone you deem completely wrong. This is just what I've found in my little experience. I'm not looking to start any arguments just simply comment my opinion on a thread nothing more. I'll leave it at that given that a few people here managed to explain good points for the counter argument without trying to make it into something bigger.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Or..maybe you can have a discussion maybe clarifying your reasoning in a calm, respectable manner without trying to prove to someone you deem completely wrong. This is just what I've found in my little experience. I'm not looking to start any arguments just simply comment my opinion on a thread nothing more. I'll leave it at that given that a few people here managed to explain good points for the counter argument without trying to make it into something bigger.

Maybe you should have a calm discussion with the ones slamming all that heavy weight on the ground about how you wish they wouldn't do it anymore?
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    People who radically drop weights once their finished, making a loud Bang and making everyone quickly turn heads. I always worry someone's going to get hurt. : /

What if the weight is heavy? Am I supposed to risk injury to let it down slowly and silently?
    You're risking injury by stacking/ trying to go too over a proper weight limit. No ones asking for it to be slowly but the point of lifting is to have control and dropping it like a shot put isn't controlled.

Tell that to olympic lifters
    Right...that's why power lifters and oly lifters don't mix well with people who are lifting for resistance training, rather than for competitive lifting events.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Okay, I don't "hate" this, but we had a fellow that came into the gym every night I was there and practiced his hacky sack in the middle of the cross training area, for hours on end. Whut?
  • mrvasquez82
    mrvasquez82 Posts: 30 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    When a women does squats in front of me and I can't slap her in the butt and say good job
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Haha!
  • 1Unstoppablechic87
    1Unstoppablechic87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    People who lift and sound like their giving birth...can't stand that!! :s
  • mrvasquez82
    Options
    3AAnn3 wrote: »
    Haha! When a man stares at me like a slab of meat while I'm squatting.[/quotehey

Hey I don't stare I just glance and move on.
  • mrvasquez82
    edited July 2015
    Options
    When girls think their to good and high class. But when they leave the hop in a broke down cars or truck seen it plenty of times and laugh