Looking to lose 100+ pounds... the healthy way!

Options

Replies

• Eri0515
    Eri0515 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I see many people saying that they celebrate in increments of 5 or 10 lbs. Honestly, I take any weight loss as a victory. I don't care if it's 1 lb., .5 or even .2, it all adds up to a larger number coming off and that is worthy of a Snoopy Dance!
  • Eri0515
    Options
    Does anybody find that they get really sick (diarrhea) when you eat not so healthy foods? My body hates it.
  • ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Eri0515 wrote: »
    Does anybody find that they get really sick (diarrhea) when you eat not so healthy foods? My body hates it.

Greasy foods can do that for me. It's like my body is wanting to be rid the unhealthy stuff quickly.
  • Eri0515
    Options
    One of my go to snacks for the drive home from work is just an apple. It really helps me from walking in the door and grabbing the first thing I see to eat.

What an awesome tip, thanks!
  • mindydickman
    mindydickman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Looking for some motivation. I have about 150 lbs to lose and it's been really hard to keep motivated. I was really committed and lost about 45 lbs, but went through a bout of depression and ended up gaining it all back. When I was motivated, MFP really worked and kept me on track and accountable for everything. This is my first day back on in about 6 months, and I'm ready to lose!
  • Eri0515
    Options
    It can be hard to start eating right. The best thing you can do is get a food scale and measure your food whenever possible. Also start out with small changes. Cut back our cut out soda. Replace desert at night with fruit or yogurt. Use smaller plates at dinner to trick your mind. Fill half that plate with veggies instead of carbs. Small changes will add up to big changes before you know it.

I'm not sure more true words were ever spoken. I have cut out Pepsi for at least 3 weeks now, which I swore I never would. It's made such a difference and I don't even crave it. Whenever we go out, I just get water, it's such a waste of calories to drink soda - 150 for 12 oz!

I also, just bought a food scale through Amazon, it should be here Thursday. Super excited about using it. Question, if I boil chicken do I weigh it after I have trimmed off the fat before boiling or do I weight it after boiling? I was confused as I how much to enter in for my calorie counting!
  • Eri0515
    Options
    ptkat28 wrote: »
    Today is my "official" weigh day! But yesterday, I decided to just take a peek and I had lost 4 lbs this week! But when I got on the scales this morning, I was only down 2 lbs :( I will happily take the 2 lb loss, but was happier with the 4 lb loss!

I'm bad, I would've entered the four pound loss!
  • ptkat28
    ptkat28 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Today is my "official" weigh day! But yesterday, I decided to just take a peek and I had lost 4 lbs this week! But when I got on the scales this morning, I was only down 2 lbs :( I will happily take the 2 lb loss, but was happier with the 4 lb loss!

I'm bad, I would've entered the four pound loss!

@Eri0515 , I am not sure what I ended up doing, but as to date, I have lost 46 lbs and over 40 inches! It is coming off slowly at times, but I also do some kind of exercise everyday!! Whether it be water jogging or dancing, which is 2 which I love!!!! Best wishes and feel free to add me!!! :)
  • Eri0515
    Options
    Today is my "official" weigh day! But yesterday, I decided to just take a peek and I had lost 4 lbs this week!

@Eri0515 , I am not sure what I ended up doing, but as to date, I have lost 46 lbs and over 40 inches! It is coming off slowly at times, but I also do some kind of exercise everyday!! Whether it be water jogging or dancing, which is 2 which I love!!!! Best wishes and feel free to add me!!! :)

You are a real inspiration! I need all the motivation I can get, I keep coming back here for tips and the good vibes everyone is putting out. Thank you!
  • trailgirl777
    trailgirl777 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hey all, Not offline but trying a new tactic with my weight loss. I am a stress/emotional eater and have been experimenting with "mindful' eating. What am I feeling..am I hungry...am I satisfied (not full), thirsty etc. Eat when hungry only and not at other times. Not perfect but working. The calorie tracking though successful was not working in my mindful listen to my body plan. So I thought why not try it this way, many healthy weighted people don't count calories so they must do something. I can report is it working. I am losing weight this way and it is like I am taking control somehow. I feel more connected to myself and what my true needs are and how to satisfy them. Some days I'm hungry and eat more and others not so much. Also, a big NSV of going to the YMCA and actually joining. Needed a way to keep fitness going now that it is so hot outside. Went for fitness assessment and weight machine teaching! Moved my slow walks in doors and actually passed some people on the track! Everyone keep the faith and try different approaches to get to your goals. Oh, I did make 10% lost today, not a huge number but it works.
  • 79dawn
    79dawn Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Everyone always says not to weigh yourself daily. I understand why, your weight will fluctuate from day to day. But I weigh myself daily because it keeps me on track. If I went a little overboard on the treats I will see it on the scale and get back on plan. So, Sunday morning I was in the ER with kidney stones and they gave me a liter of IV fluid. A liter of fluid weighs 2.2 pounds. I knew this was going to show on the scale, but why am I letting it get to me? It's fluid! I know it will go away in a couple of days but it is really messing with my head seeing it on the scale.
  • Jinx_Mo
    Jinx_Mo Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Afternoon everyone! Just wanted to let everyone know that I haven't fallen off the face of the planet, but I have been crazy busy and not taking care of my goals the way I should be taking care of them. I'm hoping to get back in the groove during the coming week, though. I hope everyone here is still kicking butt! I'll be popping in as often as possible, maybe not every day but definitely every two days. I'm going to get my eating back in order with some changes to my previous "treats" and see what I can make happen. Have a great week everyone!
  • Eri0515
    Options
    Had a new weight loss today, now a total of 9 pounds. Doesn't seem like a whole lot but when prior to starting with MFP I was hovering over the same 5 back and forth for 4 years, it's amazing. So my wife and I went over to the pool and did some swimming. I walked in the water for 50 minutes and burned off 676 calories! I have earned back every scrap of food I have eaten so far today and even gained another 70! MFP has made such an amazing difference in my life and thanks to all of you for being there to offer support and encouragement!
  • ptkat28
    Options
    Had a new weight loss today, now a total of 9 pounds. Doesn't seem like a whole lot but when prior to starting with MFP I was hovering over the same 5 back and forth for 4 years, it's amazing. So my wife and I went over to the pool and did some swimming. I walked in the water for 50 minutes and burned off 676 calories! I have earned back every scrap of food I have eaten so far today and even gained another 70! MFP has made such an amazing difference in my life and thanks to all of you for being there to offer support and encouragement!

@Eri0515 , since we opened our pool, I water jog every day for 90 minutes! I don't know what I will do when it is time to put the pool down!!! I will go back to dancing! Good luck on your journey!
  • modacielo73
    modacielo73 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

@Eri0515 , since we opened our pool, I water jog every day for 90 minutes! I don't know what I will do when it is time to put the pool down!!! I will go back to dancing! Good luck on your journey!

You both make me want to install a pool in my backyard :wink: Keep up the good work guys!!!
  • Eri0515
    Options
    @Ptkat28 that is so awesome that you do that. Unfortunately it has been too cold here to do that everyday. Today the high was only 66°!
  • ptkat28
    Options
    @Ptkat28 that is so awesome that you do that. Unfortunately it has been too cold here to do that everyday. Today the high was only 66°!

@Eri0515 , the only thing that stops me right now is if it is storming! I only jogged for 65 minutes yesterday, but I figured that was better than nothing! I really push myself, sometimes too hard!
  • Eri0515
    Options
    We went to the Taste of Chicago today and I'm not sure how I did it but managed to eat very few calories while there. It was a great day to go and so far for today I have logged 7,330 steps!
  • ptkat28
    Options
    We went to the Taste of Chicago today and I'm not sure how I did it but managed to eat very few calories while there. It was a great day to go and so far for today I have logged 7,330 steps!

@Eri0515 that is AWESOME!! I try to get at least 10,000 a day and sometimes it is hard to do!!! Before I started water jogging, I would dance for an hour or and hour and a half and get my steps!
  • Eri0515
    Options
    Dancing is such a great and fun workout! I'll have to give that a try!