WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• tuliplor
    tuliplor Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Everyone..thanks for the words of wisdom and the support!! Katla49, Terri_mom, janetr7476, and margaretturk!! You all have great ideas and help that I NEED!! I LOVE the strawberry salad. I know that change is difficult! My rough time is in the evening...when I usually snack! I'm trying to come up with more healthy snacks. I'm bad about grazing! Thank goodness I love to drink water. That helps! If you have any breakfast and snack ideas...I would LOVE to have them!! :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,580 Member
    Options
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    @tuliplor - I have found that when eating ... and set a time to do this daily - if you put down your eating utensils while you are chewing - slowly; you are less likely to overeat. Put your meals on a smaller plate than a dinner plate (salad plate) or small paper plate. As you have already said you love to drink water ... that's good. I don't know what caloric intake you have set in order to lose weight; but Fiber One puts out a lot of fiber bars and such that are generally around 170 calories. I just bought a 'new' one that is like a strudel that I got for my husband when he has the munchies. I also can swap out one of these for the protein bars I use which have about the same calorie count. Decide on a time in the evening at which you won't eat anything past that time. Like not allowing children to have anything to eat or drink a few hours before their bedtime. I usually have a scrambled egg with a piece of toast and that pretty much fills me up until I eat lunch at Noon. Reading labels is also something one must do to try to lose weight by not having too much sugar or fat in things.

Welcome to this tread! B)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Happy Monday to those for whom it matters, and just happy thoughts for those for whom it's another day.

Pipster - Good on you for wearing that bikini--you look amazing and deserve every compliment. I look best laying down as well, but have to tuck a few things over and under, and keep my elbows at my sides to keep the ladies from sliding right off each side... :wink:

Thank you to everyone for the compliments on finishing the 5K. I was wondering this morning why I keep running, as my knees were pretty painful when I woke up. But then I remembered they hurt every morning before I started running as well. The difference is simply a matter of how painful, not how often. They're going to hurt anyway--and every single pound I take off takes four pounds of impact off my knees. Got to love force multipliers. And anti-inflammatories.

Thanks as well for the comments on the quilt - and to Linda in California, there's a site Beading Daily where you can learn lots of stuff on beading... I'm going to add some to my thread snowflakes, I think, but found building bracelets out of beads to be fiddly and annoying. :) I can be a crotchety crafter. I'm OK with that.

And someone asked if I machine quilt or hand quilt. When I began 30 years ago, I hand pieced and hand quilted... Now I'm purely machine. I do not (yet) free motion quilt. I haven't practiced enough to feel that my stitches look good. What I do now is use the patterned stitches on my Brother in creative ways to enhance the pieced panels.

I bought the quilting Brother machine that I use with the first quilted item I sold a year ago - the stained-glass purse that I put up an image for last month, I think. I find myself hesitant to say charged my husband's boss $400 for it as a gift for his wife. Funny that we devalue our craft work. I designed it, I built it one piece at a time, but feel I overcharged, when I put a lot of my time into creating it. I was making more than $50 an hour when I was laid off at Cisco Systems two years ago... and put more than 8 hours into that purse, plus materials. It was definitely worth it to him, he paid without a moment's hesitation.

Have to think about that some more.

I am an artist and my 'favorite' subject is portraits. I can remember being commissioned by a former HS friend of mine and trying to decide how much I should charge him for doing it. We settled on $650 for the painting, materials and frame. He seemed pleased with both the price and the outcome. He said he wanted a painting done by someone he 'knew' even though I tried my best to tell him that he could get a portrait made of his picture that would look like brush strokes. I had to order special 'greens' to do the Army green jacket. I learned a lot from doing it, for sure. He finally sent me his 'bars' so that I would get them 'spot on'. There wasn't any color, for instance' a blue that was the same as any other blue; and I had to use a brush with only 2 or 3 bristles to get the 1/32nd side ribbon stripe on the bars.

I think that artists and crafters are always much harder on themselves and their work; I think it is something in being 'perfectionists'.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    @tuliplor - I have found that when eating ... and set a time to do this daily - if you put down your eating utensils while you are chewing - slowly; you are less likely to overeat. Put your meals on a smaller plate than a dinner plate (salad plate) or small paper plate. As you have already said you love to drink water ... that's good. I don't know what caloric intake you have set in order to lose weight; but Fiber One puts out a lot of fiber bars and such that are generally around 170 calories. I just bought a 'new' one that is like a strudel that I got for my husband when he has the munchies. I also can swap out one of these for the protein bars I use which have about the same calorie count. Decide on a time in the evening at which you won't eat anything past that time. Like not allowing children to have anything to eat or drink a few hours before their bedtime. I usually have a scrambled egg with a piece of toast and that pretty much fills me up until I eat lunch at Noon. Reading labels is also something one must do to try to lose weight by not having too much sugar or fat in things. Welcome to this tread! B)
    I can concur with all of the above suggestions. I haven't found a Fiber One product I didn't like. Great for reaching your fiber goals along with plenty of fruits and vegetables. I always use a salad plate. When portion controlling the true portion sizes looked so lost on a huge dinner sized plate. LOL With a smaller plate normal portions look like a lot of food. I have found Life Choice Protein bars to be great tasting and will help fill your protein goals. My last snack of the day must be in my mouth by 8pm. Often times I will plan ahead and submit my daily log earlier thus "setting in stone" all that I will eat that day. All great suggestions for meeting your calorie goals.

Cheri
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I read something interesting the other day regarding depression. Some scientists somewhere reported that there may be a link between trying to be "nice" and the onset or worsening of depression. Hmmm. Maybe there is something to that. I used to be a people-pleaser, trying really hard to be nice and I was horribly depressed. Even suicidal. In recent years, I have stopped trying so hard to be nice and my depression has eased up quite a bit. It could be meds, but I was on meds before and they weren't working. So, if you are currently suffering from depression, you might try not being so darned nice and see what happens.

I left my garage door opener in the SUV that I traded for this minivan. Tomorrow I have to call them and see if they found it. I did notice that the suv is not on the lot tonight.

We took DGD#2 to gymnastics tonight and barely made it home and walked the dogs before another storm hit. Tomorrow more rain. Oh joy.

Well, goodnight everyone.

Sylvia
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Penny at the pole, I am so enjoying your pix and stories!
    I noticed the talk about tankinis. Could somebody sum up their pros and cons? I could use a new suit this summer as mine are all so old that they might just disintegrate! I am mainly worried about swimming with one and having the top ride or balloon up. Do not want to give the Y kids heart attacks.
    Just froze 2 quarts of sour cherries. Was tempting to load them down with sugar, but I am trying freezing them as is.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    And, joy of joys, my roof is leaking.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,580 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    stats for the day:
    Ski machine- 60 min, 30-50resist., 5-10incline = 600c
    walk sig. 2 circus circus and around- 1hr 20min 11sec, 3.4amph, 4.6mi = 355c
    walk circus circus 2 new york new york- 1hr 9min 37sec, 3.7amph, 4.2mi = 527c
    walk new york new york 2 rm- 20min, = 75c
    total cal 1557

according to this tracking on my phone it says i took 27493 steps
    walking and running distance says 15.77mi. whatever that means.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Oh Carol, (does anyone remember that song from around 1963?) Like your day wasn't bad enough, I can't believe your roof is leaking. smiley-sad029.gif I don't really get depressed, but if I were you, this is about the time I'd sit down and have a good cry. I think I'll cry with you.smiley-sad010.gif I don't want to hurt you but you need a really big hug. ((((((((HUG))))))))

Love ya,
    DJ
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Blueberry picking this am; in the rows by 7am. Then errands and grocery store and home. Made a new baked chicken dish tonight with cheese and spinach, just OK. Had a bit of rain this afternoon. I think the sinus/allergy thing that everyone else in the house has been c/o has hit me a little.

Margaret........I adore hostas; so many different textures, shapes, shades, sizes, etc. I have a tiny one that I believe is called a "mouse ear". It's so sweet. I also have some that came from my home in Pa. that were there all my growing up years, except in Pa. they were mostly white and down here they've turned almost completely green, not nearly as striking.

Katla........Hope your padded riding pants did the job and you are not any worse after the lesson.

Oh, Carol..........I just want to throw up my hands on your behalf and yell in frustration....good grief you have been through it...........all I can do is send ((((hugs))))).

Off to bed, long day here.
    Sweet dreams all,
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

Ps.........Yes, DJ, I do remember that song..........Neil Sedaka Roller skated to it enough to never forget it.........around and around the rink!!!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,362 Member
    Options
    Did about 15 minutes of yoga, held my plank for 2 min 45 seconds (5 more than previously!), then the extremepump class. I'm thinking that I'll go to class early, do some abs on my own, then strech while they're doing abs so that I can leave earlier. Then we have to go to the post office (I'll take some cake to Lynette) and then senior bowling. After bowling I want to stop at CVX to get a bottle of soda and to get some vitamins that are on sale (and I have a coupon for) Update: she did so much work on glutes that we never even got to triceps and barely touched on chest.

kayak - one of the things that I like about the area that I live in is that we seldom get a lot of rainstorms. If the weather comes fromt he West (which it usualy does), when it hits the mountain, it breaks up. By the time it gets to the Winstom-Salem area, the storms reform. Which is why DeeDee will sometimes get storms and we won't. So sorry to hear your children won't be coming to visit, what a shame!

pip - while you're in Vegas, are you going to go to the EthelM plant? They're a division of Mars, Inc (named after their mother, Ethel). That's the only place where you can get chocolate with real liquor inside.

Joyce - you don't have to tell me about how Philadelphia is NOT the city of brotherly love. We lived right outside of it.

Welcome everyone new

GRITS - feel better soon. What a wonderful lady you ran into!

exercised, then came home and went in the pool, then went to the post office, gave Lynette some cake, went to the bank, then senior bowling. Came home, had dinner, played mahjongg, took a shower, now here and hopefully in bed soon.

pip - awesome pics

Linda from WI - welcome back!

janetr - I don't like when the water is too hot, can't get a good workout in.

terri - when I go out in the pool, I have a timer that I take with me so I don't stay out very long. We're going to Mexican Train dominoes tomorrow night and I'll take Food Lion's ad to WalMart and have them price match the cherries -- they are $1.99/lb.

Margaret Turk - what a salad!

Carol in NC - my heart goes out to you. (((BIG HUG)))

Michele in NC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    @Michele in NC - For sure it was too hot to really work hard. I hope they have it fixed by tomorrow. Also hoping there is no lightening with the storms coming in so I can go in the morning.
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Just dropping in to say a quick hi and mark my place (page 12).
    Carey-Edmonton
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I was asked about my situation with my Mom… so our relationship is very up and down, she can be extremely judgmental and sometimes mean, but she is also my mom, and without her I would not be here… I also know that she loves me and does her absolute best – it is just not sometimes what I need. So I try hard to put up appropriate boundaries and be understanding as she doesn’t have it easy. She is 86 years old, in excellent health, and is raising her 17 year old grandson.. (long story there). She comes to visit me (about 1 hour drive) every other month or so, and I try to make it a relaxing time for her, I do all the cooking, and we just do what she wants.

She came for the 4th. Mom has some really old fashioned ideas about the value of women, and we are 2nd class citizens in her mind, so while I take care of a lot of things for her, and my brother just dumps his child on her and mooches cash – which drives me batty! But it is her money and she is of sound mind - on Sunday she sat me down to have a serious talk..(my first thought was oh dear! Her health or a lecture on something I am not doing right) but she tells me that she has decided that she has been spending a lot of money on my brother (6 years of rent free living, including laundry, cleaning and meals) and that is not fair so she would like to pay off my business loan. You could have knocked me off the chair with a feather. Finances have been very tight and this is an amazing gift… so she wrote a check, I deposited and today made a call to the gal I bought the business from and got the pay off amount, transferred the money and my business is mine, free and clear. I can’t really get my head around it… this is a year earlier than I expected.

Welcome to all the newbies – Kathy, Marie, Cathy in CA, doglady2002, justdenise, Linda in WI,

Katla – love the watersking smily faces – I tried the Tankini when I was heavier, and it rode up so a roll of fat showed…not my idea of ok! I do have a suit that works ok now, it is a one piece, when it is worn out I might try a tankini again.

Grit – I am with you , I love to make and receive homemade gifts…

Pip – ok you got it all, Kirby is thoughtful, fit, cute and a good photographer? What great shots! Ok the Bod shot is amazing! You rock !

Alison – your own room sounds like a great answer – I can not believe how thoughtless your family is.

Heather – beautiful jam – I love apricot jam!!! Sorry to hear your son is not visiting..
    “Do people not want to see me?” I do!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on over!!! Times have and are changing and people are getting more serious about the trauma that verbal, physical and sexual abuse can cause.

Miriam – There are a lot of readers in this group, I’m one!

Mary – how great you can walk to so much!!!

Margaret – your Astilbe is beautiful, I had to look that one up, never heard of it.. sure enough way way out of my climate zone.

Lisa – quilting writing and snowflakes! Wow!!!

Sharon – people are so darn rude sometimes!

Mia – I also avoid caffeine and make sun tea from de-café tea bags, sometimes 2 bags de-café and a bag or two of an herbal tea to make a favor change. Works great! What is a sky lantern?

Sylvia – great joke!

Carol – Ok you work at 2 churches, right? They are supposed to be walking the walk! Call those pastors and tell them you need help – and as your pastors they should get a few of the butts in the pews to get over and help you out! Helping is far closer to walking the walk than sitting butt in pew.

July Goals:
    Walk everyday –try to hit 180 miles
    1 plank every day and log here – goal more then 19 - 3
    Log everyday –
    Eat mindfully-
    Weekly fun things –
    W1 – Mom is here for the 4th, and we are going out to dinner –her treat!

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    oy. spend a long day at work and another dealing with personal stuff and there's 119 new messages! I can only hope that all things went well, and that for those not going well, life will improve.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Lori/tuliplor - Lots of green veggies & protein powder in blender/it's like a chocolate smoothie, boiled egg whites, change up your evening routine so you are busy & active! What are you snacking on?
    Have found that snacking is often emotional, stress relief, procrastination tactic - what is your root cause or is it just a routine? What and how much? Good luck on eliminating sugar - it's hidden everywhere.

Linda inCali
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    bkrimpet wrote: »
    Penny at the pole, I am so enjoying your pix and stories!
    I noticed the talk about tankinis. Could somebody sum up their pros and cons? I could use a new suit this summer as mine are all so old that they might just disintegrate! I am mainly worried about swimming with one and having the top ride or balloon up. Do not want to give the Y kids heart attacks.

Tankini Pros: You buy the top and bottom separately so you can get each the right size for that part of your body. An ordinary two piece will be designed to fit a certain body type. Tankinis are more flexible because the top and bottom don't have to be the same size. They are much more convenient when you need to use the bathroom because you don't have to take the whole thing off, just the bottom. They are comfortable and your middle is not exposed to view so stretch marks (and/or loose skin around the middle) are hidden.

Tankini Cons: You pay for each piece separately and that means 2X the cost.

I will buy another. I like the convenience when in use and the ability to have it fit correctly, both top and bottom. I think this a big asset for all of us who are bigger or smaller in some places than others. :wink:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Yep.........another less than stellar night of sleep........giving up and taking a Valium shortly.

Michele...........SUPER plank time; WTG!!! Two minutes just about kill me and you're at almost three!

Kim.........How wonderful that your mom has paid off your business loan and that she might be realizing how unequal her treatment of you has been compared to your brother. I am happy for you!

Carol..........Kim's advice on your needing help is right on the money.

Becca.........Your very handsome son looks a lot like you. Is he stationed close to home?

Off to bed once more.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Gilly, I used to go to daughter's house, 3 hours away, and take care of first grand daughter while they would be on a weekend conference. Charlie was working at the time also. Then 2nd grand child was born. I soon realized what a character she is and was not as easy to take care of like her sister was. My MS would jsut notlet me drive 3 hours, babysit 2 young kids for 3 days and then drive 3 hours home. So no more babysitting for us or me. When they are in town and want to go to a movie we will take care of them but it is usually the 9PM showing and the kids are going to bed. I was so worried when daughter first had first grand child. I would be a long distance grand parent and would she remember me the next time I came. But Christina is the kind of Mom that she would be talking about everyone here in town that was part of our family, even my MIL who they rarely visited due to her confused and paranoid state. She made sure she talked about hubbies family with the babies all the time. And pictures were always involved in these talks. So every time we went down there, the kids were always happy to see us and there was never any hesitation in the kids affection towards us. It helped that she was a nanny and was able to take her own children with her so no babysitters or day care for the kids. We bought a picture frame that allowed us to record a message on it. we put our favorite picture of ourselves in it and every time we went down there we changed the message. So the kids got to hear our voices all the time.

Lenora, I was going to tell you about the infections but Miriam did as good a job as I would have. So sorry it is now bronchitis.

Barbie, I have found out I have no problem in taking 10 chips out of the chip basket, putting them on a napkin and limiting myself to just them. I get a taco salad and take it out of the shell. I like to use my fat free ranch dressing with the chips.

Peach, yes, my daughter and SIL are very good parents. But she was a nanny when the kids were young and now my SIL works from home almost all the time and so that helps. He is a vary involved Dad and really believes in the fact that Dad is the very first man your daughter falls in love with. And that really helps them know what kind of a man to look for when they find their own love.

DJ, my oldest daughter was the kind of child that I thought was the perfect child. I always thought I was so blessed to have a child like that. What did I do to deserve her??? Then after she married and the younger one finally got it in her head that parents are OK, she told us about how she was made to cover up everything her sister did and lie for her. We were really hoodwinked by this 'perfect child'. And yes, she admitted it to us.

mia, we had several of those lanterns that were let off across the street Saturday night. wwco27lzgs86.jpg
    As you can see it looks biodegradable. It's a good size. Youngest daughter and youngest grand daughter ran for several blocks watching it descend so they could get it.

Becca, I can't see your pictures :'(

Carol, gentle hugs. I agree with the other poster. Your churches really need to be there doing what they can. How would it make you feel if you went braless? I know my Mom would not have but I don't think I would care if that were the only way I could have some one there to help without having them to help put my bra on. But they need to be helping you with meals, light house work and getting you to PT and doctor appointments and just generally keeping you from falling into depression. I know my Mom would not have asked. You do have to humble yourself to do it.

tuliplor, I just made a snack that was really good and simple. This was my first time venturing into something home made. I am not worth anything in the kitchen. my bedtime snack is usually pineapple tidbits, 1/2 cup of plain yogurt and and then something crunchy on top for texture. My grocery store is not carrying my favorite crunchy cereal and no one else does either. So I got a big box of strawberries, cut them up and forze them. I looked on the diabetes site on line to see what the exchange list for strawberries is and it was one cup. So I got a 1 cup measuring cup and bagged up as many as my box would make and then put them in the freezer. So tonight I get my 1/2 cup yogurt and empty a bag of frozen strawberries into my chopped ninja and turned it on. Nada, nothing, thought i had broken my ninja. Well I figured out my strawberries were to frozen for the blades to cut them. So I waited a bit and then tired it again. Wala!!!! It wasn't hard like the ice cream consistency I wanted so I put it in the freezer for a bit. Husband tasted it and he didn't like it, wasn't sweet enough. But I have been on this journey for 2 years now and don't need things to be sweet now. But the consistency was exactly what I wanted.

Kim, sometime you just don't understand how things happen! Do you think you and your Mom's relationship could have a chance to deepen any now that she maybe has gotten fed up with her own previous beliefs. Congrats on owning your own business now.

I am realy trying to be more honest with myself on how much I am eating. I have no problems with measuring about everything I eat. But I also am not honest with how I log it in. Like this crunchy cereal I eat at night with my yogurt. The serving size is 3/4 cup. Well I use a bowl that I always put my one cup serving of things in. I use that to scoop out my cereal, and always make sure it is overflowing. And then I will go back and do another one. So instead of 3/4 cup, I am sure it was about 3 cups. So this last week I have tried to be very honest with sticking to the 3/4 cup, especially since when I finish this bag it's it. The store has discontinued it and I can't find it anywhere. I have gone to the Natures Path website and it isn't sold anywhere around here. So I knew I had to do something.

Joyce, Indiana